• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New vehicle purchase ~ '12 Mazda 3 Hatch

Hey guys, recently just traded-in my gas guzzling Xterra for this great handling Hatch. The new 2.0L engine and transmission is amazing.....never thought I'd enjoy driving an Auto.

The 2012 front "smile" is less prominent and I've always liked the Mazda 3 hatches to I figured I'd jump into something more practical for the city.

Here was the old
IMG_0456.jpg

and here is the new
IMG_0621.jpg

Congrats! These are nice little cars. Mazda is making some nice cars these days.

Best of luck with it.

-Jim

Nice. I wanted to get the wife a skyactive manual hatch but nobody had one... She ended up driving the turbo on a whim and then the skyactive went out the window :rolleyes: Instead of getting 35+ mpg with 87octane I get 22.5avg with 93 :rolleyes: so much for cheap and sporty haha.

Haha, that is hilarious. I considered the Mazdaspeed3 but my goal was a DD with good MPGs, though I did stare at the MS3 on the showroom for quite some time haha.

Cool, you should enjoy it. I bought a 2011 mazda 3 hatch last year for my daily driver. I like the hands-free bluetooth connectivity for my phone, and the steering wheel controls. The only thing that disappoints me is the gas mileage, I have only averaged 26 mpg over the last year. (but mine is the 2.5 liter engine).

My son drives a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback - we bought it new, he learned to drive on it, and he uses it every day.

He loves it. It's a great little car, very solid and peppy. Even though it goes off its 6-year extended warranty this summer, we're going to keep it - it hasn't given us a minute's trouble.

Last edited:
Great choice! I considered the standard 3, but it just didn't have enough Ummpphh for me.
My Mazdaspeed 3 averages about 26 mpg with mixed city & hwy.
It gets about 7 mpg on the track all while eating up Corvette Z06s. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Still considering the Mazda 3 myself! I just need to make a decision on what I value the most - economy, sporty/fun, or practicality.

FR-S/BRZ - economy, sporty/fun
Prius (of all things) - economy, practical
Mazda Skyactive 3 - economy, mediocre sporty/fun (fwd :()
MS3/STi - sporty/fun, practical

I'm so confused! lol

Great choice! I considered the standard 3, but it just didn't have enough Ummpphh for me.

That's why we bought the standard 2.3L Mazda 3, not the Mazdaspeed - didn't want the soon-to-be-driving teenager getting into trouble with too much car.

That's why we bought the standard 2.3L Mazda 3, not the Mazdaspeed - didn't want the soon-to-be-driving teenager getting into trouble with too much car.

You made the right choice for sure. I would have surely killed myself if I had this car when I was a teenager.

I just got my girlfriend a 2012 mazda 3 with the skyactiv/6 speed auto... we used it this last weekend to drive to myrtle beach and we had a car full and still pulled off 40.4mpg...

Its a fun car and only has like 12hp less than the 2.5 liter, and the car has bluetooth and all that stuff. 18k OTD

I just got my girlfriend a 2012 mazda 3 with the skyactiv/6 speed auto... we used it this last weekend to drive to myrtle beach and we had a car full and still pulled off 40.4mpg...

Its a fun car and only has like 12hp less than the 2.5 liter, and the car has bluetooth and all that stuff. 18k OTD

That is the big reason I didnt get the SkyActive car... Apparently mazda thinks that anyone who gets a 6spd SkyActive does not want bluetooth, leather, a sunroof and only 3 choices of car color so they force you into an auto if you want any options!

Yea I was annoyed about that. I tried the manual and it was surprisingly a really nice manual tranny. But it was not offered with any other packages like tech or moonroof.

Ultimately I ended up with the 6spd auto, surprisingly I like this new auto much better than any dct i've driven. Throttle response is very quick and it pulls harder than the manual, must be the gearing differences.

That is the big reason I didnt get the SkyActive car... Apparently mazda thinks that anyone who gets a 6spd SkyActive does not want bluetooth, leather, a sunroof and only 3 choices of car color so they force you into an auto if you want any options!

yeah, i wish i would have upgraded to the bose/sunroof package... the factory sound system is almost as bad as the NSX's, haha... I just hate sunroofs with a passion.

I also don't feel very safe in the car. I am just used to being in a VW/Saab, so i am used to having a solid feeling body. I am sure it is safe, but it doesn't feel like it

This reminds me. A friend of mine has the 09 Mazda 3. All she ever complains about is that it's a lot louder than her husband's TSX. Is this true?

She loves everything else about it.

I would imagine a car that costs $10k more would be more luxurious and quieter. The 2012 wasn't louder than any of the other cars I've tested in this segment.

This reminds me. A friend of mine has the 09 Mazda 3. All she ever complains about is that it's a lot louder than her husband's TSX. Is this true?

My Mazdaspeed is way louder than my wife's Lexus IS250. Not only is the exhaust note louder (and I have an aftermarket exhaust that's quieter than the stock one), but the road noise is also way louder. I mean, it's night and day. Then again my car brand new was $24k out the door and hers new was more like $37k OTD (even though we bought hers used).

You can't really compare a entry level "sporty" car to a luxury brand. Keep in mind there's about a $10,000 difference in base price between a base Mazda 3 and a base TSX.

My wife's 2006 TSX is much quieter and more luxorious than the 2006 Mazda3, even with its Grand Touring trim. But it was more expensive too. Totally different car class.

Agreed! It's a much cheaper vehicle. Just wishful thinking on my part! It's still on the list.

Can you carry a decent Bluetooth conversation in the car, say.. for office conference calls? I'm talking thru a wireless mic and thru the car's speakers.

Actually, this might push me away from a BRZ even. I need to get on some of these calls on a long commute which makes a 09-10 TL Type S look a bit more interesting (damn you Honda for making that car a FWD!)

Can you carry a decent Bluetooth conversation in the car, say.. for office conference calls? I'm talking thru a wireless mic and thru the car's speakers.

On the 2006 TSX - yes. The built-in Bluetooth speakerphone is excellent on that car.

On the 2006 Mazda3 - well, Mazda didn't offer Bluetooth in that model in 2006.

Here are the brand-new Mazda3 and TSX in 2006. We also bought a Miata that year. Three new cars in one year - what we were thinking????

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 87
And my son when he passed his driving test in 2010 - and we told him that the Mazda3 was now his car. Is that a happy kid or what?

So, yeah, we recommend that model! :smile:

Attachments

• mjz and car big.jpg
    mjz and car big.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 96
I've had my MazSpeed 3 for over a year.... been a great car! Versatile, plenty of trunck room, good rear passenger space, great in all weather too (with snow tires), and a blast to drive.

Back