• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NH Car Shows report

I went to two car shows today with the NSX.
1. The first show was sponsored by the local BMWCCA chapter and a local tuner group held at a local BMW dealer. I've been a B club member for years having owned a '73 02 from the start. There was a great barbeque sponsored by a new energy drink that I tried. It was refreshing but hardly more than a cool drink of water. It was fascinating to see the young tuners with their nitrous kits, front wheel drive cars with front sway bars only (this baffles me,) Lambo doors, and very neat audio/video systems juxaposed with the mostly older, BMW crowd who had mostly M version cars with some modifications principally to the braking systems.
I liked a fascinating custom Chevy S-10 pickup with a crate small block Chevy V-8 with a gazzillion horsepower. The owner was 17 but his parents were there and fully supported his efforts. Way to go.
Both groups mixed well, everyone was swapping tips and techniques. I asked some of the tuners to comment on the Lambo door kits. Most of them said that the available kits made their fenders warp just ahead of where the hinges were placed due to the hardware moving against the inner panels. Something to watch out for.
I was invited to move the NSX into the display. As soon as I moved the NSX into line with the Bimmers the dealership moved a couple of M series coupes/convertibles next to the NSX. Most people looked at the NSX. I opened the front hood, where the hydraulics and cooling system is, and the trunk, and a couple of people asked me if the car had an engine, so I finally cracked open the engine compartment. Folks were surprised at how small the engine is. I didn't enter the competition but they awarded me a nice M series polo shirt anyway and I made an appointment to drive some different BMWs later including an M6.
2. Next, I went to the NOPI show two exits away which was much larger. When I parked the traffic controller was kind enough to give me extra space around the car without asking.
The drag racing was a bit disappointing compared to real Funny cars and Fuelers. Lots of cars broke but there were a few that were just smooth power and showed nice driving techniques. One car broke the track record in two runs. Significantly some of the competitors told me they had to make engine adjustments as the track cooled so they definitely knew their game. As the day progressed I was able to watch the drag racing, the NOPI dancers, and the bubble pit activities from my vantage point in the stands. A pleasant collage....Most of the dancers did mundane butt shaking but there was one who was just tasteful rythmic motion, understated the way Ivanj likes it. She had a manager who followed her around like a hawk. I missed her name but I think she maybe destined for higher things. I spoke to her for awhile and she is very sharp. She was also co-sponsored by NAPA. Supposedly she was a local NH lady.
The drifting show was OK. It was being filmed by SPEED and I gave the rep stick for dropping the World Rally coverage and asked for more F1 and sportscar coverage and less boring NASCAR coverage. He said neither would happen. I asked him if NASCAR was going to start their own cable channel and he just smiled.
The best drifter was a female driver. I asked her if she had ever thought about putting just passengers in the car and installing radio controls so she could drive the car remotely. She told me no one had ever suggested that before but thought that was a fun idea. I mentioned that passengers would probably have to sign a release....
There were dozens of tuner cars entered into the judging competition. Most of them were basically the same no matter what the marque. The unique ones really stood out. There was a TL with a great custom pearl paint job, a very well done 95 Supra twin turbo, and a sharp Lincoln V8 sedan whose owner had all kinds of custom built mods including engine and 4 Lambo doors. All the tuners were very forthcoming about the mods they made, just nice people. There was one red/orange 91 NSX that had a huge scoop over the rear windscreen into the engine compartment. It was unattended so I had no chance to discuss the car with the owner.
Toyo tires had a huge display. I gave the Toyo rep positive feedback on my Proxes 4 that I have on my Legend. (Don't give me a hard time.) I was given a mess of free samples of Black Magic Wet Shine Car Wash. Most people used Meguiars. There was another heavily promoted energy drink called NOS that had passion fruit in it as well as ginseng, inistol and so on. It was very good and I went back for more.
One car manufacturer told me they were dropping battery hybrids except for 4 cylinders and beginning to gear up their E85 cars...as a standard feature. I allowed that this was a good move. His colleague was from the Mountain States and she said there are E85 stations springing up everywhere. She had an older Audi that she had been running E85 in for over a year with no problems. They also said that the two failure points in their testing was surprisingly silicone hoses and gaskets, and fuel regulators. He also said the manufacturer tested a gaggle of 10% ethanol/gasoline samples in California and found that most were between 15 and 23% ethanol. Still safe for all engines but not what people thought they were paying for...maybe this is the reason that people are complaining of lower gas mileage?
I went to the NOPI tent "to see what all the fuss was about" - Sheryl Crowe. Most people were more interested in choosing the free autographed posters than interacting with the NOPI girls signing the posters. I was more interested in talking to the ladies.
I have a number of friends who are models and actors. Like my friends, it turns out that most of the models had other jobs such as mortgage brokers. The ones I talked to were quite intelligent and I enjoyed speaking with them.
Several were very friendly especially with some of the female spectators. I asked them if they preferred girls or boys. One in particular said she liked both and was quite forward about it. Since they were staying overnight I was able to hook her up with my friend Bob and his girlfriend Sue who is an ex beauty queen and is bi. No doubt the three of them had a fun night.
It was a full day and I don't think I'll go to another NOPI show but my curiosity was satisfied. Like a knuckle head I forgot my camera so I can't post any pictures.

Next weekend I am going to a pre-driving school sponsored by BMWCCA WMC at Loudon NASCAR track nee' Bryar. These are necessary to take further driving instruction.
Peace,Ivanj

Last edited:
Back