• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nice places to live in san diego

just wondering if any of you who live in san diego can help me with some nice areas to rent an apartment at. i will be attending school at sdsu but do not want to live near the campus, i am thinking more towards downtown or the beach(more west then the college). any info would help thanks alot.

Mission Valley, but its pricey....don't know how rich you are.

R you taking your NSX? the theft rate down there is horrible.

Also if you want I can give you a link to the apartment complex tha I lived at, it is quite and has underground parking, and is a only 5 minutes away from sdsu..but in a nicer area.

FuryNSX said:
Pacific Beach may be an area that interests you.

Dude, this is why I can't buy a house here.

There's nothing to see in PB! Move along. Sure it's a community where everything you need is within easy walking distance, with three miles of beach front. But that beach front is dangerous. I've almost flipped over an SUV on my bicycle because some young woman was taking off her wetsuit along the boardwalk. Do you know how distracting that is? If I'd have lived here as a student I'd have flunked out in one semester flat...

OK sorry, I'll be serious. Get a map of San Diego. Find Pacific Beach. Beneath it on the coast will be Ocean Beach, above it La Jolla. Follow that east in a big swath between the 52 freeway and interstate 8. As a general rule, this entire area will be OK. In this swath things get more expensive as you move North and West (La Jolla, in the NW corner, is very pricey). Find a nice place with a six month lease you can handedly afford, and use that six months to find where you really want to live, and maybe some potential roommates (roommates make things affordable!). My advice, for what it's worth.

For the record I've not had any trouble with theft, but I do keep my NSX in a garage. I would not recommend keeping one on the street.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
thanks for the reply guys, i plan on spending 1000 to 1200 a month, as far as stolen cars go, i grew up in new jersey haha so im pretty used to that. i just want to be near the beach but not near the other college frat people.

I've lived at State, in PB (lost count how many places) , LaJolla, Bay Park and now Tierrasanta(just north of State).

Someone your age should at least experience PB for a while. Lots of young people and "entertainment" with plenty of rentals, also a lot of people looking for roommates. A place with a garage is a must in PB for your car, luckily many of the apartments in PB have garages.

If you'd rather be closer to downtown you can look in Mission Hills or Bankers Hill, still only 10 mins from PB.

I lived in Bay Park for 3 years, till 6/05, which was my favorite (just the very east side of the 5 from PB)- 15 cab ride downtown/airport, 10 to PB. Great central location. 3/2 house was $2000 - Two roommates or one and you're good.

Best places to look for rentals are:
Reader- www.sdreader.com
UnionTrib - www.uniontribune.com
and of course www.craigslist.com

Any Q,s feel free to PM me....

-jim-

jgtcnsx said:
thanks for the reply guys, i plan on spending 1000 to 1200 a month, as far as stolen cars go, i grew up in new jersey haha so im pretty used to that. i just want to be near the beach but not near the other college frat people.

I just read your user profile. Yeah, you need to check out PB. Skateboarding is the official way to get around. Probably Ocean Beach (OB) as well, I've just never lived there. OB does have a nice skate park.

And you can park your car on the street. I've parked my Xterra out there for years, one of my neighbors parks a new vette on the street. I just wouldn't put something like an NSX out there. Note however that the ocean air is not kind to vehicles: my Xterra has aged quickly :(

la jolla is at the top of our list of places to live - too bad i'll never be able to afford to live there. back in '00, the average cost of a home was 850k, im sure it's probably close to double that now.

dgaetano said:
I just read your user profile. Yeah, you need to check out PB. Skateboarding is the official way to get around. Probably Ocean Beach (OB) as well, I've just never lived there. OB does have a nice skate park.

And you can park your car on the street. I've parked my Xterra out there for years, one of my neighbors parks a new vette on the street. I just wouldn't put something like an NSX out there. Note however that the ocean air is not kind to vehicles: my Xterra has aged quickly :(

ocean beach, i found alot of nice apartments thier, i love skateboarding, i usually go to sf when i go skatin but i know the seen is huge. thanks for everything guys

jgtcnsx said:
ocean beach, i found alot of nice apartments thier, i love skateboarding, i usually go to sf when i go skatin but i know the seen is huge. thanks for everything guys
PB is much better than OB.
OB is a little more of a "hippy" town.
PB is nicer and the beach scene is 10 times better.
-j-

PB is a young party town. It's cool if you're 18-21 and like a real young drunk crowd.
Parking sucks in PB.

If you want any peace and quiet, PB isn't for you. You can enjoy drunks walking thru your yard and puking in your flower beds, though.

OB is pretty earthy-crunchy, but it's much more laid back than PB. I like OB. Right on the water and super-relaxed. Not as hip as PB for sure. PB's pretty rockin'.

Point Loma is luxury OB, if you can afford it, but lots of oldies.

If you're at SDSU, Talmadge is the place to be. Or Kensington. Very nice, upsacale and close to the school. Not cheap and further inland. But nice.

$1000-1200 will get you a 1BR 1BA apt. in a VERY nice place, virtually anywhere you want to live. Or a 2BR 1BA in a mediocre area like Mission Valley, North Park, La Mesa, etc.

jimmycinla said:
Not for a 21-22 year old.

I don't know about that. I was 22 when I lived there. Great beach, great chicks, peaceful surroundings, and the toll on the bridge is like a giant filter. Only those that can afford it come through!

Goin 23, working, night school and engaged...I knew I have not done enough. :biggrin:

haha, i have had an amazing childhood, i was sponsered from skateboarding when i was 14 and started travelin and partying all over america, and didnt stop until i was like 21 and a half haha so, now its time to do the school, and i found a great girl, so its tme to move to a new stage in my life.

jgtcnsx said:

1200 a month?! in college?!!?

where the f**k do you 18-22 year old guys get this money to support living like that and/or have an NSX. I'm 21 in college and barely have 2 dimes to rub together, full time student, art director of 2 magazines, advertising designer, and owner of own GD company (4) jobs. I just dunno how you guys get your hands on that much cash.

good luck with that... seems like a waste to spend that much on a place to live, especially in college.

*edit* didnt see the sponsorship post... consider this post retorical*

rickysals said:
1200 a month?! in college?!!?

where the f**k do you 18-22 year old guys get this money to support living like that and/or have an NSX. I'm 21 in college and barely have 2 dimes to rub together, full time student, art director of 2 magazines, advertising designer, and owner of own GD company (4) jobs. I just dunno how you guys get your hands on that much cash.

good luck with that... seems like a waste to spend that much on a place to live, especially in college.

*edit* didnt see the sponsorship post... consider this post retorical*

well, let me get deeper in my childhood haha, when i was younger i lived with my grandparents while my parents where in college when they graduated they saved money every year to pay mine and my brothers college. so i got hooked up with that, in march i graduate from wyotech automotive school, majoring in chassis fabrication/ high performance engines and street rod. my fiace will graduate from her 6th year at college majoring in grapic design/new media. so we will have no problem payin 1000 to 1200 a month, as for the nsx, after school i plan on takin a loan out for a car, (20-25 thou).after i think 2 years of living in california the rest of my college tiuition will be paid for.(all state colleges in cali do that after gaining residency) thats how it works. haha i got a sugga mamma :biggrin:

ChopsJazz said:
I don't know about that. I was 22 when I lived there. Great beach, great chicks, peaceful surroundings, and the toll on the bridge is like a giant filter. Only those that can afford it come through!

The toll was lifted quite a while ago.

Back