• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nice review of NSX

NSX-Tuner said:
"...only 25 per day are built." When was that? I thought 200/yr was all that's being produced now. If 200 is correct, then is that for the US or the world?

When hte NSX first came out they made 25 a day which was the max Honda could make. Now I think they make about 2 a day or 500 for the world including 200 for the USA. Maybe even less than 500.

Re: acceleration #'s across the ocean...

Osiris_x11 said:
hmmm... In every UK car magazine (Automobile, EVO, TopGear, AutoExpress, CAR, etc), I've seen the NSX's acceleration for manual transmission 0-60 in 5.7seconds & the automatic at 7.8 seconds. I am not kidding. :eek:

I'm absolutely sure the 91 automatic can do a 0-60mph in under 6 secs.

Where I work, (Military Base) they will not allow people parking backwards due to some sort of "Security Risk"..something to do with being able to get out quicker...just my experience and .02 cents.

Mike

Many places want head in parking only because when you back in, some cars leave nasy exhaust marks on the walls when people idle their cars for a long time. I woud probably guess that backing into a house garage may increase the amount of gasses in a confined area. That may be just nitpicking though. My .02

nsx-guy, I have to totally disagree with you.

Yes, driving straight into a parking spot is easier than backing in, IN most of the place in UNITED STATES, that is. If you still don't understand, go take a look of a fort lift or like machinery which require precise turning/adjusting angle in tight places. They all have the rear wheels that's turning.

Many many years ago, I had a lady yelling at me as I started my car and ready to back up to main road. What I found out a moment later, after I stopped right the way, her kid was playing hide and seek right below my rear bumper. There is no way I could have know that, and if I was blasting my stereo and failed to hear his mom's screaming, the kid will definately got run over.

I'm sure that there are various reasons for "head in parking only" signs; one of which I'm sure is simply to maintain the flow of traffic in public parking lots.
Again, valid in UNITED STATES, which, generally, American drivers sucks at parking (including me!!), thus they do it slow, or they will hit something. Try going to Europe or other Developed Asian countries, you will know what I mean.

Actually, backing in makes perfect sense. Even though the space is smaller, the other thing is there is nothing moving in it. However, backing out of a garage, parking spaces, etc. there are other cars, pedestrians, bicycles, etc. that are moving in all kinds of directions. Makes sense to use the better visibility where they are more variables indicative of potential hazard, no?
I agreed wholeheartly. Blindspots are all from your side and rear. So by head in parking, you prefer to live with the Blindspot and depend on people who will see you as you backing out. No argument here, my NSX was side wiped by a car backing up from a blind parking spot at my work. None of us see it coming. I was driving the main direction, he's backing out right in front of a tractor truck. His car's trunk is higher than my nsx, by the time he saw my face, it's too late... You think if he's not backing out, he will see my bumper, and still have time to brake before he hit me.

Where I work, (Military Base) they will not allow people parking backwards due to some sort of "Security Risk"..something to do with being able to get out quicker...

I called it BS, how could one put in reverse, back out the car, then put in drive, (or first gear) being faster than put in drive (1st gear again :biggrin:) ???

cars leave nasy exhaust marks on the walls when people idle their cars for a long time. I woud probably guess that backing into a house garage may increase the amount of gasses in a confined area.
This is valid. My dad always complain me idling my cars in the garage, especially in cases I haven't driven my car for awhile. My stinky exhaust gas went right into our home heater ;)

At my workplace there is a rule to not back into parking spots. Their excuse is that they need to be able to easily see the license plates on cars (for some unexplained reason). More than a few of us ignore them and back in anyway. If I don't get out at my usual fairly early time and have to fight traffic in the parking lot when I leave, driving out forwards is much easier.

NSXDreamer2 said:
nsx-guy, I have to totally disagree with you.

Yes, driving straight into a parking spot is easier than backing in, IN most of the place in UNITED STATES, that is. If you still don't understand, go take a look of a fort lift or like machinery which require precise turning/adjusting angle in tight places. They all have the rear wheels that's turning.

Many many years ago, I had a lady yelling at me as I started my car and ready to back up to main road. What I found out a moment later, after I stopped right the way, her kid was playing hide and seek right below my rear bumper. There is no way I could have know that, and if I was blasting my stereo and failed to hear his mom's screaming, the kid will definately got run over.

Again, valid in UNITED STATES, which, generally, American drivers sucks at parking (including me!!), thus they do it slow, or they will hit something. Try going to Europe or other Developed Asian countries, you will know what I mean.

I agreed wholeheartly. Blindspots are all from your side and rear. So by head in parking, you prefer to live with the Blindspot and depend on people who will see you as you backing out. No argument here, my NSX was side wiped by a car backing up from a blind parking spot at my work. None of us see it coming. I was driving the main direction, he's backing out right in front of a tractor truck. His car's trunk is higher than my nsx, by the time he saw my face, it's too late... You think if he's not backing out, he will see my bumper, and still have time to brake before he hit me.

Disagree away my friend. No sweat. :cool:

Not quite so sure why you said "in the UNITED STATES" the way you did. Hope I didn't offend some of our foreign members but MOST of the membership here IS from the U.S. as am I. Sorry for being one of those crass, and politically IN (or is that "UN" ? :biggrin: )-correct Americans.

Also not sure why you mention "precision machinery/forklift" stuff unless you're referring to the fact that if you're backing in a car the front/steering wheels become the "back/steering" wheels and the car is therefore more precisely pointed. IF that is the case, then I submit to you, if you need THAT kind of precision to get into a parking spot you really DON'T want to be there in the first place. Either YOU will dent someone else's doors getting in and out of your car or THEY will dent YOURS !!!

(And I certainly can't EVER see an NSX driver parking there anyway. :wink: )

Secondly, RE: that kid that was playing below your rear bumper. Bad argument. You wouldn't have seen him playing hide and seek below your FRONT bumper either. If it was I, after first wiping the sweat off my brow and being thankful I didn't hurt the child, I probably would have yelled right back at the lady for allowing her(?) child to play around CARS (or, if not *her* child, thanking her for the warning :wink: ) !!!

While I agree there are a lot of bad drivers in the U.S., I have also been to France and Italy. If you are suggesting that THEY be held up as models of good drivers :eek: that U.S. drivers should emulate, I might have to give up my driver's license and just stay off the road for good. :biggrin:

Someone mentioned earlier how difficult it is to back OUT of a driveway in to a "main/busy road" and I would agree, however, the alternative is to back IN to that same driveway and to do that, on that SAME busy road you have to signal your intentions (difficult as best if being followed closely) drive PAST the driveway to back into it, and HOPE the driver behind you hasn't closed the gap to where it is now impossible to back in to said driveway. Anyway, under THAT condition it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. :wink:

And finally, nobody, least of all me, suggested there were NO problems backing out of a spot, only that on balance "head in" is clearly the better way to go. Read all the replies again and tell me again how you think that backing in is the better way to go. :rolleyes: :wink:

the count thus far seems to be:

Back in Yes - 8
Back in No - 2
Misc Observations, no commitment, rebuttals - remainder

queenlives said:
the count thus far seems to be:

Back in Yes - 8
Back in No - 2
Misc Observations, no commitment, rebuttals - remainder

Edited the post, eh, QL ? Decided against the "all chest-thumping, boorish behavior aside" part ??? (Ah well :biggrin: )

Interesting “statistics” you've put together. Just see what you want to see, right ? You must be a Republican…….. (Or just lazy - OK, OK, I know you said "seems to be" so maybe it's the latter :biggrin: )

The "results" thus far........

Back in 4

Sjones

Sportmarc

Queenlives

Nsxdreamer2

Forward 2 (+)

NSX-GUY

Tony Montoya

(90% of the public)

Undecided 3

CDX-NSX back in at home, forward in parking lots

Bodypainter back in * (required by his garage circumstances – therefore undecided)

Nsx-racer back in * (but sounds undecided since he mainly refers to race-tracks and pitlanes and barely mentioned parking lots and driveways/garages which is what this is about anyway

"Non-committal" 3 - (Just explained/guessed “why” head-in parking signs are there and never stated their “preference”)

Blknsxnoc

Mojorator

nbovelle

Anyway Q.L., remember that “Serenity Prayer” I mentioned earlier ? Well, I know when and how to “tell the difference”. This thread is all YOURS from this point on. :wink:

Later gator !!!! :smile:

Add me to the "back in" list.

I back in now and then, in public, for the two main reasons given above (it's more precise, so better in tight spaces, and it's safer when you exit).

Ironically I just had this discussion with my girlfriend a few weeks ago (she was wondering why I backed into a tight space at her apartment) so here's a few thoughts/observations...

- As pointed out above with the excellent fork lift example, backing up is much more powerful when it comes to positioning the car.

- I had a large PoS station wagon as my first car. I learned that backing in was much safer. When I was parking I was in control of the situation: if a space looked to tight or kids were playing in it or whatever I could always go to another one. When I was leaving I was stuck with things the way they were (some idiot parked too close to me, people everywhere, kids playing, and a shopping cart slowly making its own way across the parking lot...), so being able to drive out of the space made things much safer.

- The very turning responsiveness that aids in backing in makes driving in reverse much less stable as you go faster and faster. I learned this very dangerously in my teens (my PoS station wagon could go 25+ mph backwards). Add this to the lack of visibility going backwards and I could see why manufacturers might limit reverse speeds for safety/liability reasons.

- Every silly 5mph parking lot crash I've seen has been due to lack of visibility as people pull out of their spaces. Every one of them would have been prevented had one party backed in. The same for the one time I saw a parent back out of their driveway over their child's leg.

- I became comfortable backing in with the PoS station wagon when I was 16. I made mistakes, the wagon got scraped a few times. This is not something I'd want to learn using my NSX (no more than I'd want to use the NSX to learn how to parallel park).

[edit - I had used "it's" instead of "its", was bugging the hell out of me]

Indeed, while rare, I do back into parking spots occasionally. The occasion would be determined by how small the aisle is (not so much the actual spot as I try never to park in spots that are too cramped anyway). However, if the aisle is narrow, I will likely back in to ease both ingress and egress.

I think it's funny that most of the posts here are in response to "... It is wide - much more so at the back than the front, which can make reversing into garages tricky. ..." that started the controversy; to back in or not!!! But you can add me to the list of never backing into parking spaces... unless I'm at a meet... :D

NSX-GUY said:
Nsx-racer back in * (but sounds undecided since he mainly refers to race-tracks and pitlanes and barely mentioned parking lots and driveways/garages which is what this is about anyway
Count me as pro back-in. I do that also in parking lots and at home - has also something do with that I want to be out faster when I leave work or home for work - maybe it's some kind of stone age behaviour that I want to flee fast :biggrin:

not sure i actually stated my preferences (though i counted myself in the back-in group).

having learned and then spent 4 years backing military fast-response vehicles into parking areas, i'm generally comfortable with backing a vehicle into an appropriately sized area. depending on variables such as moving traffic (which may vary by time of day, day of week, season, etc), clearance around the vehicle, parking space angle, i may or may not back the vehicle in.

i typically park my nsx nose-first in our garage, though backing in would provide me with a bit more space next to the driver's door (for motorcycles, etc).

i did a forum search to see if there has been a poll on this subject (backing into parking spaces) and didn't see one. i read an earlier post about how the thread has progressed... yup, kinda funny.

be well, all.

NSX-Tuner said:
Nine out of ten bank robbers back into parking spaces... :D

i wonder if that's still true in today's e-theft era? :) (careful now, we're heading into a whole 'nother direction)

NSX-Tuner said:
Nine out of ten bank robbers back into parking spaces... :D

Ummmmm, welllllll,,,,, errrr,,,,,, how many bank robbers do you actually KNOW ??? :eek: :biggrin:

If I see a space thats so tight/dangerous (kids, cars, bikes, etc) that I have to back in to it, I wont park there. I like to find a nice wide space that does not require backing it. That way, people wont give me door dings, etc. Needless to say, I park nose in 90% of the time.

NSX-GUY said:
(But what idiot would "reverse into a garage" ??? :eek: :biggrin:

Well you would have to count me in as one who reverses into my garage... You see NSX-GUY sometimes you HAVE to!

Scenario 1: In Brisbane, the entrance to my driveway is at a 45-degree angle (standard gutter as stipulated by council regulations.) This is too tall for the NSX and the front bumper doesn't just scrape it impacts the gutter no matter what angle you try! However, if you reverse onto the driveway at a slight angle, the front does not even scrape at all!

Scenario 2: In Sydney, the entry to my garage is so narrow that there is no way that I can turn my car into the garage if I drive forward... I just cant get the angle, (the NSX is just too long and wide for garages designed a couple of hundred years ago for a horse or cart :smile: ). However, when I reverse in, the fact that when the turning wheels are at the rear, I can get a better angle and can reverse into the garage in one go...

So, I think you should re-tract your original statement because in my experience only someone with poor car control would make a statement like "what idiot would reverse into a garage" to hide their inability to do so... And it would be terrible to think an NSX owner would fall into that catagory :wink:

Last edited:
(Why do you think there are parking areas (such as some supermarkets, malls, etc) that have sign up that say "Head-in parking ONLY" ???)

In Japan everyone reverses into carparks, it drives me nuts. :biggrin:

Why were reverse lights invented again? :biggrin:

It's pretty simple, actually:

If there are monsters chasing you home, go nose-in and get the door shut in a hurry!

If there are no monsters giving chase, take your time and back in. Because you never know if there are monsters in the house that would require you leave again, and you'll likely want to leave quickly.

:)

NSX-GUY said:
So, 90+% of the population, including municipalities and business that put up signs saying "Head In Parking Only" (ever seen one that said "Back In Only" ? :biggrin: ), are wrong and you are right ?!?!?!

You only see those signs in areas that don't require a front license plate. I do understand your problem with backing into a garage space though. You're a New Jersey driver!
joker.gif

My garage has a turntable built into the floor just like the Batcave so I can pull in nose first and pull out nose first. If I ever get a '95 or later NSX, I'm going to install a pole so I can slide right into the driver's seat too!

AU_NSX said:
Well you would have to count me in as one who reverses into my garage... You see NSX-GUY sometimes you HAVE to!

Scenario 1: In Brisbane, the entrance to my driveway is at a 45-degree angle (standard gutter as stipulated by council regulations.) This is too tall for the NSX and the front bumper doesn't just scrape it impacts the gutter no matter what angle you try! However, if you reverse onto the driveway at a slight angle, the front does not even scrape at all!

Scenario 2: In Sydney, the entry to my garage is so narrow that there is no way that I can turn my car into the garage if I drive forward... I just cant get the angle, (the NSX is just too long and wide for garages designed a couple of hundred years ago for a horse or cart :smile: ). However, when I reverse in, the fact that when the turning wheels are at the rear, I can get a better angle and can reverse into the garage in one go...

So, I think you should re-tract your original statement because in my experience only someone with poor car control would make a statement like "what idiot would reverse into a garage" to hide their inability to do so... And it would be terrible to think an NSX owner would fall into that catagory :wink:

Wellllllll, I DO understand we have a language difference here :eek: butttttttt, and (some older American types will understand this :wink: ), while I HATE to ass-u-me, I guess I have done exactly that, so for that I apologise (<--that would be your spelling, no ? :wink: :biggrin: )

My original statement and those posts following (by me) are strictly for those times when you have a CHOICE ! I understand there are all sorts of special circumstances when backing in might be appropriate and it's then a "judgement call". I was basically beefing about people in mall parking lots and their "vertical"(?) (can't be parallel :biggrin: ) parking techniques although in most cases it DOES apply to garages as well. YOU have an unusual situation, do you not ? :wink:

(BTW, I loved Sydney (and Brisbane, especially Surfer's Paradise) when I was there - King's Cross was especially interesting in the evenings, especially when the "birds" came out (Was that street Darlinghurst Rd ? Or something like that. :wink: :biggrin: :p )

Back