• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

"Non-compliance" suspension parts?

rrr

Can anyone tell me why some after-market NSX suspension parts are called "Non-compliance"? (such as "Non-compliance Toe Links" and a "Non-compliance Beam" from Comptech). I also see "compliance" in some such parts.

The products replace the rubber bushings of the stock car, which are better for production cars as they are lower maintenance with materials such as billet aluminum for polyurethane. The non-compliance parts allow better handling through more precise transfer of kinetic energy. I'm sure the physics majors in the house can address this better. Andrie?

I have the Comptech non-compliance end-links and sub frame beam, and find them to make a tremendous difference over stock.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I think he was asking about why they're called "non-compliance", not about how they work (although that is interesting too).

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I think he was asking about why they're called "non-compliance

Simply because compliance is also used as a synonym for flex, or "give". Most should actually be called low compliance because a slight amount of give is necessary in many areas to avoid breaking things or wearing them out through friction.

I'm not sure the transfer of energy is really as much the point as preventing alignment changes due to loading and therefore flex (compliance). In the case of some bushings such as anti sway bar links (already solid in the NSX) it's more to achieve the immediate benefit rather than waiting for the load to compress the bushing until it is effectively solid. I guess that could be considered a quicker transfer of kinetic energy.

Back