• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Not a Kill Story

Hi Guys -

Not a Kill since I didn't, just a happy little reference point as to how my GJ is running post-breakin, pre-dyno. I had just lowered my fuel pressure a little a day before and voila - the stumbling when the boost comes on has disappered.

Sunny SoCal Thanksgiving day going north on Newport Blvd from PCH, I end up next to late model 911 Turbo front row at a red light . . he takes off pretty agressively, I drive normally and observe. He looks like a Top-Gun type . .. totally not a me. So its a rivalry of opposites - jock vs. rock.

Slowing down for a red light at 17th street 3 blocks later, we end up in the same position. Since he got there first, when I slow down to stop I notice his license plate frame reads "DC Motors" which is where I got my car too, so I start a quick conversation based on common ground. "HEy Bro nice ride - I got mine at DC also . . ." I say. "Oh Yeah? From Todd?" he replies . . I can't remember but it sounds familiar I say. Then I let him know mines a turbo too but its not tuned yet . . baseline map excuse . . he is friendly and we offer mutual admiration for the others car.

Then the light turns green and I had already set my mind on giving it a little blast to see whats up. He DEFINITELY had the same idea . . he nailed it and I pretty much did too . . like 3/4 throttle. My boost controller was set around medium for lack of a better description, i think gain was 57% and boost was set for 1.05BAR. I peaked at .91 bar which is approximately 13.4225 PSI. We were dead even in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd till I let off at around 5500 rpms maybe, he pulled on me then due to the left off.

At the next light he was really impressed, he couldn't get over the sound . . offered up props and conceded that his car is fun but gets him in trouble . .

I was pleased with myself and my car for keeping up with a known fast car.

A few nights ago before I lowered the fuel pressure I got smoked miserably by a T-Bucket roadster with a meaty V8, ever the more embarassing because I had my friend with me who has been hearing about how my car is 'almost done' and it will be 'REAL REAL Fast' for the last 30 months and all it did that night was fall on its face after half a bar at fairly open throttle.

Oh Yeah and to add insult to injury it was a chick driving the T-Bucket which I'm still hearing about .. my friend wants to allocate an hour a day to drive around till we find her again . . of course he's teasing.

i would like a ride in your car please =)

GOTTSPD said:
What's a T-Bucket?

Basically something like this:

Frys%2023%20T-Bucket.jpg

Wolfie,

great tale :wink:

WOLFIE, I got your back... Glad you are progressing with the tuning.. I know we talked about it before, but at what RPM is your Stunble? If it can be measured at a consistent RPM.

I have a small one at about 3500, if I am easing into it.
I have not gone over 65 on the gain, and the Boost is limited to 1 bar.. I have not over boosted yet, so I wll play around with the gain a little more.. No to many great days left around here, if I am to believe the extended forecasts.

What was your fuel pressure set at? Measuring at the rail or the gauge?

Me and another NSX owner made a long lap around here yesterday evening, couldn't find any long streches of road empty, so we kept it pretty tame...

Glad you are running well... How is Bryan's running?
After the final tune you will be bored with running away from everything...:smile:

sjs said:
...I decided not to embarrass him with my turbo-diesel dually. :D
Ran into a white NSX the other day on the highway while in my turbo diesel excursion. Gave the dude 3 honks, but he wouldn't play. I have always heard that white NSX's brought up the rear. I think his plate was 'NSX01'. :biggrin:

sjs said:
Was that other car silver and wide? I saw him and his pretty blue side markers westbound on 44 last evening. Looked to me like he was trolling for action, but I decided not to embarrass him with my turbo-diesel dually. :D

I didn't see you(probably saw the underside of the truck). :biggrin: Yea i was out with the black one, you know the one with the whistle. :biggrin:

Hey - its the STL Hijack Posse!! (jk)

Len - I can't really say the stumble is at any particular rpm, it was more of like when it hit it was as soon as boost came on and wouldn't go away , the fuel pressure at the guage had been around 21, I raised it to 28 and it got horribly worse. Then I lowered it to 15 where it is now and she does a pretty good job. No stumbling, just doesn't feel like she's making ALL the power. She needs the dyno for that!

Wolfie

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
Hey - its the STL Hijack Posse!! (jk)

Len - I can't really say the stumble is at any particular rpm, it was more of like when it hit it was as soon as boost came on and wouldn't go away , the fuel pressure at the guage had been around 21, I raised it to 28 and it got horribly worse. Then I lowered it to 15 where it is now and she does a pretty good job. No stumbling, just doesn't feel like she's making ALL the power. She needs the dyno for that!

Wolfie

Wolfie, if you get a chance, post the fuel pressure showing at your gauge when you turn the ignition and running at about 2K RPM... How is the idle?
I talked to GJ about the new Version Firmware available for the Tec3R , he wants to check it out before saying go ahead and upgrade the setup. It is said to fix the few badgering problems that I am experiencing...

I will take a peek at the 2Krpm pressure next time I have someone to foot the pedal . . have to be careful not to get a real Beavis that wants to redline it in neutral!

Brian has his TEC3 running on the latest firmware rev (3.4.1?) He says its much smoother than the older versions but he has to eliminate the IAC from the system. He also added a 2nd aquamist pump & jet last week and is going to 50% methanol.

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
I will take a peek at the 2Krpm pressure next time I have someone to foot the pedal . . have to be careful not to get a real Beavis that wants to redline it in neutral!

Brian has his TEC3 running on the latest firmware rev (3.4.1?) He says its much smoother than the older versions but he has to eliminate the IAC from the system. He also added a 2nd aquamist pump & jet last week and is going to 50% methanol.

Cool Wolfie...
Brian is pushing some power..If you talk to him tell him to give me call...

Is he running something to monitor the Water Injection?
Any retards or anything to save from a clogged injector or anything...

Heck I am still trying to find the correct mix.
Mine seems to guzzle water rather quickly, I need to really find the correct mix and get the map tuned finer...

In time. Isn't FI fun?

Back