• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX 2.0 in SAE Automotive Engineering Magazine

I don't know if anybody has seen this yet, but here is a link to the April SAE Automotive Engineering magazine. The digital edition article on the NSX starts on page 36.

http://magazine.sae.org/auto/

Great article. So in a couple of weeks we should know more about the specs of the car. Can't wait.

neat article...gives a little more specific production info.

The new aluminum casting technology is exciting - like 1989 all over again. I'm very curious as to the curb weight now!

Thanks for posting this link, it's the first new information I've read for months, needed something to feed my addiction to this car.

Just typing NSX SAE in google gave me this link

http://papers.sae.org/2015-01-0512/

It was published 4-14-15. Technical paper could be bought for 25 dollars is seems.

Abstract states:

" Ablation casting is an emerging technology which combines traditional sand molding techniques with rapid cooling due to the use of a water soluble binder. High cooling rates and control of solidification direction allows for exceptional mechanical properties and complex shapes. Through the use of ablation, six different body node castings have been manufactured for the 2016 NSX aluminum space frame. The high mechanical properties allowed these castings to be integrated into the crash structure for energy absorption. Using the traditional casting alloy A356, target mechanical properties were 190 Mpa Yield Strength, 280 Mpa Tensile Strength and 12% min elongation. The high elongation was achieved due to the refined eutectic microstructure produced by high cooling rates. The eutectic microstructure produced by ablation was found to be Level 5 or 6 on the AFS scale. Light weighting could also be achieved when compared to traditional GDC castings. By using sand molds instead of steel dies, the nominal wall thickness was set to 4 mm instead of 5-6 mm when using traditional gravity die casting. Further light weighting was achieved by using sand cores to create complex hollow internal sections. The combination of high properties and hollow shapes made ablation cast nodes ideal for a lightweight space frame structure. "

Valkerie,

Base off the schedule I saw the presentation started at 7:30PM in Detroit so if any information is to shared it would probably tomorrow since it's pretty late program.

Last edited:
There wasn't too many numbers discussed, if any at all, at World Congress tonight. Ted talked for a little while about 'direct yaw control' vehicle dynamics and the torque vectoring of the front wheels, and the chief powertrain engineer from Japan discussed the engine and electric motors. The car in in the lobby was just a shell, without complete interior / running condition.
P1040576.jpg P1040583.jpgP1040578.jpg

Last edited:
So with the ICE confirmed to be 3.5L, where does that likely put the total horsepower? I'd sure like to think it will exceed 600 bhp (particularly given the expected weight), in order to keep it in line with that which the car was benchmarked against. To be successful, the new NSX must deliver impressive performance, as there are too many other options to simply be "among the pack." Buying a $200K Acura is a bit of a leap of faith (especially in comparison to the competition), so it better be superior in some measurable way in order to get the money out of my wallet. I've been waiting several years for this car, and hoping that it doesn't disappoint. But, the competition continues to up the ante, which has me nervous about whether the NSX will have the chops. I'm #1 on my dealer's list and chomping at the bit to place an order. So, I'm really hoping that Honda knocks it out of the park....

So with the ICE confirmed to be 3.5L, where does that likely put the total horsepower? I'd sure like to think it will exceed 600 bhp (particularly given the expected weight), in order to keep it in line with that which the car was benchmarked against. To be successful, the new NSX must deliver impressive performance, as there are too many other options to simply be "among the pack." Buying a $200K Acura is a bit of a leap of faith (especially in comparison to the competition), so it better be superior in some measurable way in order to get the money out of my wallet. I've been waiting several years for this car, and hoping that it doesn't disappoint. But, the competition continues to up the ante, which has me nervous about whether the NSX will have the chops. I'm #1 on my dealer's list and chomping at the bit to place an order. So, I'm really hoping that Honda knocks it out of the park....

I am really hoping for 600+ horsepower though with electric motors, it may not be as significant as torque. Less than 600 HP seems second rate for a new supercar coming out in 2015 anymore.

Well, this is Honda we're talking about. They just don't do big HP. It would be fitting if the car produces 580hp, since that would double output of the previous gen car. One nice tidbit of info is the fact the engine uses both port and direct injection, which should help reliability.

Back