• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX accessory and interior improvement wishlist for Honda

I would just like to see options, that all, just for me i would like to make my NSX or HSC mine, so by adding things i like. most owners are doing these thing in the after market.. But i would like it from the factory....................different: Seats,Carbon fiber, shift nobs,ect.ect.ect.(what ever you can think of)would just like the options..

Its a good start with the differet color interiors, I just think that people buying high end sports cars like to be a little different, so making the cars aliitle different on the inside to have there personal touches would be nice..just my .02

TigerNSX said:
Please create optional packages such as

1) "Comfort", "Luxury", "Premium" for folks who prefer aforementioned sophisticated electronic gadgets and luxurious looking interior.

2) "Sports" for folks who like minimalist approach as in type-R.

I prefer the option 2), but there will be a lot of folks in the U.S. who would like the option 1).

I agree with Tigernsx!:D ;)

All i want is:

a in-dash 6disc
bucketier(is that a word?) seats.
Maybe a shift light like the NSX-R.

That's all for me... nice and simple. I see no need to make the 2nd gen NSX a luxury car:D and please no cup-holders.
Oh-yeah, I luv the display gauges and the gauge lighting as it is.

Someone said heated seats, I want cooled seats, I live in Texas! Black leather seats hold a lot of heat on a 110 degree day.

I own a 1995 NSX-T. I'd like to see
  • More passenger legroom.
  • Headrests that adjust fore-aft.
  • Bolsters on seatback adjustable (current ones are too close together for a driver with wide shoulders).
  • Usable cupholder(s). Even one good cupholder would be better than two poor ones.
  • In-dash CD (single rather than changer is fine with me).
  • Smartenna-style antenna (up when using the radio, down when playing a CD).
  • No dumbed-down gauges (e.g., put numbers on the temperature gauge).

Lud, you asked for it

OK, since Honda wants to see it all, the items that others listed that I wanted (in no particular order) were: seat, mirror and steering wheel memory positions, outside thermometer, HUD, tire pressure monitor, center horn, in-dash CD, door storage compartment, better choice of interior packages (sport/luxury), wheel upgrades, fog/driving lights, auto-dim rear view mirror, side mirror defogger, heated seats, optional performance upgrades (cosmetic and the obvious), continued beauty and exclusivity!!!

Please keep the comfort features like stereo, A/C, leather, and the safety features like ABS and airbags. Please add side-impact airbags.

And keep the steering wheel comfortable to grip for the normal driving positions of 3 and 9 o'clock.

Last edited:
1) All dash gauges remaining analog, with LED illumination for both the gauge faces and the needles. The Lexus SC400/LS400 did this well, IMO.

2) DIN radio form factor, with CD/MP3 player standard.

3) LED digital clock and external temperature display in the rearview mirror.

The only improvement I can add is to change the configuration of the side view mirrors to a convex glass. I have a terrible time seeing cars in the blind spots to the right and left rear.

Thanks to Honda for soliciting comments.

I have a better idea for Honda

Invite a cross section of NSX owners from Prime to visit and examine the HSC, and discuss interior modifications, wants, needs and personal preferences. ;) Seems to me that a two way dialog, where Honda could also gain an understanding of how an owner uses their NSX and better understand the demographics of the owners, would be much more beneficial than these posts.

My list:
Quality materials being used
Easy mod for 5 point restraints
Auto up/down windows (both), and faster
Better interior lighting
1-1/2 to 2" more headroom
Wireless bluetooth receiver
Integrated radar detector, built on Valentine 1's technolgy using remote sensors and diplays

92 Blk NSX owner, and #1 on order list for next gen NSX/HSC in St. Louis. :D

Last edited:
<----I'm a proud owner of 1994 Red NSX.

Exterior:
- **KEEP THE INTEGRATED REAR WING IN THE NEXT DESIGN.** Aside from the side scoops, it's the one feature that really stands out with the NSX. It is THE signature character of the car.

Interior:
- Need side impact airbags.
- The steering wheel is TOO bulky (airbag).
- No more BOSE. It has no midrange in the sound.
- Leather smell.
- Black Carpet needs to be darker (at least the same shade as the surrounding black leather)
- 'NSX' stitching on the headrest

:)

FULL leather interior including the SHIFT BOOT, door panels, and dashboard.

I have a 1991 automatic:

1. Better manual shifting for automatic or SMG - I plan to upgrade to a 97 auto, but the shift lever isn't like paddles. Better (more aggressive?) shifting algorithm - my 1989 MR-2 did better than NSX in auto mode

2. I posted before the climate control needs help. It knows int/ext temp, etc. and should display it. It blows cold air too soon in winter (if the air from the vent isn't a few degrees warmer than internal air, why blow it?), it stops too soon in summer (if the interior is hot, the air temp being right isn't enough). The controls on the climate control are great, except it needs an ON button as well as AUTO that remembers how it was set when turned off.

3. Interior displays need to adjust brightness based on ambient light, not headlight switch - running in the rain in daytime makes the radio/clock impossible to see.

4. tilt adjustable steering wheel (missed from Eclipse)

5. memory for seats (takes me forever to reset seat after my wife drives every Sunday)

6. smartenna feature (I never listen to radio)

7. in-dash cd changer w/MP3/WMA and standard double DIN space - don't do integrated stereo (Eclipse had clock/radio display built-in - not very useful for aftermarket stereo)

8. hands free cell option that interfaces to bluetooth cell phone

9. builtin bluetooth gps with optional nav system (so I can use my laptop :) )

10. auto up and down on all windows - maybe auto reset windows when door closes (roll down 1/2 inch then up) like merc/bmw did for better seal?

11. heads up display

12. a little more cabin storage (maybe door pockets?)

13. better door stop positions - with the long door needs a harder intermediate stop (or swing up doors)

14. heated/cooled perforated seats (they are already perfect for long trips on comfort)

Overall, I think journalists don't know what they want - they complain the NSX has a dated interior, then say new cars have too many tiny buttons, too much electronics, iDrive, etc. I think the NSX has a great and very ergonomic interior but everything can use more features :)

I'm sure I can come up with some more...

1992 Red/Black, 5spd
I think all the convenient / luxury type items people are asking for don't really belong in an exotic sportscar.... Just my opinion though. If I wanted a NAV system, heated seats, self adjusting mirrors, voice control, radio control steering wheel, wireless technology....etc/etc/etc I would buy a new Benz/BMW/Lexus etc...

I think the NSX is a true sportscar and doesn't really need all of those options. I think the interior is excellent as it is, and I've never been in a more ergonomic car, but I only have a few complaints

1. New stereo setup, In-Dash CD player (Get rid of the tape player)
2. Smartenna setup
3. Spare tire that doesn't need to be inflated (if it can fit)
I might be able to think of a few more items, but its hard finding faults in a car I love so much

Everything else is superb

I would also like to agree with the few others who asked for a U.S. Type-R. I think it would sell, and I know I would rather have a track version of an NSX than one with all of these luxury features which in my opinion are useless and not made for the car.

I own a 1991, so the things I'd like to see are:

1. More headroom to accomodate a helmet.
2. None Bose system, so if you want to change speakers you can.
3. Center Button horn.
4. Different seat options like nsx-r, type s
5. Different trim levels like Japan has.
6. built in nav system.

I'm sure there's more, just can't think of em right now.

Re: Some great Ideas

RPM217 said:
I made a list right after I saw Lud's post, as I read all the responses, I kept crossing them off of my list, the only one left not mentioned was for a center horn hub, the two buttons are ridiculous, while my bright yellow car is highly visible, or so I thought, like many other owners, I can't count how many times people don't seem to see me before they change lanes, and I end up fumbling for one of the two tiny buttons on the wheel. I agree with many of the other suggestions, as I said, my list was picked up by the previous posts, with this exception. Come on Honda, we know what we've got, we love it, but the "improvements" are needed!!

I find them very well placed. The way I hold the wheel they are right under my thumbs and a center hub would mean removing my hand to hit it.

Voice control would be done with a wireless headset with user programable commands through voice recognition. Head set would of course tie into cell phone too.

Gheba,
This technology was available years ago in my business for collision estimate writing at the car with the ability to pause to remote answer the phone. This was back in the late 80's early 90's and the voice reconition technology has improved vastly.

1. Configurable cell phone holder w/ blue tooth and voice controls for phone. (and phone only)
2. Audio controls on the wheel but make them wireless so they can be removed for the track.
3. Information center, in center of dash pod, that is user controlled and can draw info from any sensor available to OBD III
4. Analog Gauges for Tach and Speedo, all other gauges must look analog but can be set to display any data for any sensor. (for instance at the track I do not need to see my fuel gauge, I can reselect the senor from fuel to oil temp, the scale and markings would change to the correct values and I have oil temp. Also make these set with a memory feature for gauge set 1, and set 2.
5. when car is off the gauge cluster should be completely blacked out (LS430)
6. Gauge color lighting options
7. light sensitive gauge lighting that stays bright even with lights on in daylight but dim as the sun goes down.
8. programmable shift buzzer and shift lights
9. shorter shifter throws
10. same light clutch feel, shorter throw
11. more feet room (12's are a little snug)
12. more head height (helmet requires me to remove seat cushion now)
13. built in 5 point harness points
14. no electronic suspension junk, make it handle without gizmos, I want to be able to service the car at the track and not be out because of a sensor or something.
15. Track mode, one switch that - TCS off, ABS off, AC off, raises idle point to 1500 RPM.
16. Audio System with 8" speakers in the doors and no subwoofer taking up interior space.
17. AM/FM/XM DVD based MP3 player touch screen control WIFI ready w/ optional NAV
18. Actual Inside and Outside Temp displayed
19. more presets on radio FM1, FM2, FM3
20. Break fluid temp sensor for display
21. Tire pressure and temp sensor
22. deeper trunk, even an inch or two would help.
23. speed sensing wipers
24. wipers out of view from seating position
25. 1 good cup holder
26. no ashtray
27. light sensitive film in windows that darken by day and clear by night. (you said anything)
28. and last but not least a little red button that turns the V6 into a V8@450+ horses

If you can have it ready by next Tuesday I will take one now!

Thank You for listening to our dreams, for most of us this was a dream long ago and I for one am thankful it came true.

mine is a 92 UK car

responses here, as others have noted, fall into 2 distinct camps- the luxury NSX and the sporty NSX. personally I am in the sporty camp and my preferences for a 'sports pack' version would be:

1. delete stereo & speakers altogether and make them (DIN) options
2. delete cruise
3. delete A/C
4. delete ashtray
5. delete headlamp adjustments & washers
6. racing seats with CF versions as an option
7. harness mounts with harnesses as an option
8. MOMO steering wheel
9. more gauges and make them accurate
10. shift lights in dash
11. auto windows and faster
12. option for CF door skins, doors & body panels
13. more adjustment for steering wheel & pedals
14. pedal layout designed for heel/toe
15. optional lap timing equpiment
16. ABS & TCS settings which are memorised after adjustment
17. inside & outside temp display+ compass
18. tyre pressure monitor/display
19. smart/adjustable instrument lighting
20. option for heated windscreen/washers/wing mirrors
21. adjustable suspension settings
22. rear window style antenna
23. slotted rotors with high quality calipers and good airflow for cooling
24. deletion of spare wheel -runflat tyres or other alternative solution

I am convinced that there are as many people who desire the sporty NSX as the Luxury NSX and that by accomodating both sets of desires Honda will be able to satisfy us all with the next gen NSX.

Darren

2003 Silverstone/Silver NSX-T
VIN# JH4NA21693T000114

I would like the following by priority:

1) Updated/Luxury Gauges/instrument cluster in both digital and classic settings.

2) Sunroof Option in a Coupe style

3) A better stereo w/navigation display option

4) More Leather

All else to me is fabulous!

I think the interior and ergonomics of my 91 red/blk (manual) are just about perfect. My short list of suggestions is as follows:

- substitute more durable materials for the seat side bolsters & sun visors
- replace the tape deck with a CD/MP3 player (and possibly a DVD navigation option)
- change the Bose speakers with a more conventional design
- integrate the Smartenna
- make keyless entry standard
- redesign aspirator fan to eliminate noise and improve serviceability

Things that (IMO) don't add to the driving experience, and I wouldn't want, include:

- more fancy electronic gadgetry like heated seats/mirrors
- OnStar (I wouldn't use it or pay for it)
- cupholder (more suited for a grand touring sedan IMO)
- chrome or metalized plastic accents that would scratch/dull/rub off over time

Thanks for reading.

Any chance HONDA execs will do the same thing (asking for our opinions) on ENGINE choice??

Mine is an 01.

1. Replace the tape deck with CD that has mp3 capability. I've never had a tape in mine yet.
2. Memory seats. I share my car with another driver and its always a pain to re-adjust the seats, both driver and passenger.
3. Heated seats. The NSX is slow to warm up. I resist using it in the winter because my Audi has heated seats and it doesn't.
4. 8 way adjustable seats. Would be nice to tilt them up for more theigh support.
5. A premium stereo and navi system.
6. Radio controls on the steering wheel.
7. Hi tech illuminated guages, but keep analog where they are. Add digital information display for odometer, temp, etc.
8. Map pockets on doors. Wish they were there now. there seems to be room for them.
9. Quick tilt seatbacks. What little storage behind the seats there is cannot be accessed unless you adjust the seat forward using the motor controls.
10. Use digital display readouts that are readable in bright sunlight. I can't read the clock, climate control, or radio when the sun is shining on them. And, since I go topless all summer, thats allot of sun.
11. Come up with a glove box that is useable.
13. It's annoying that the keyless entry makes no audible sound. You need a feedback beep and light flash like every other car has. Add a remote trunk release.

Things you did right.. Keep it!

1. The wrap-around dash layout with vents in the doors. I love it.
2. Vinyl and plastics used that withstand the sun and elements.
3. Clear nicely placed gauges.

I have a '91 and personally I think the interior layout is fine and the seats are excellent for long trips .. however I would like a heated seat option for those of us in colder climates.

The thing most embarrassing about the car for its price and most annoying to my wife are the splitting sun visors and the cheap, fingernail breaking, unlighted vanity mirror on the passenger side. I agree it's a nit in the overall ownership experience but clearly the most out of character interior fault.

Overall, as many of the posts indicate, there is a very strong trend to automobile personalization and on an exotic car, everyone is going to have their opinion about what they want in in-car entertainment/nav/etc so the best route may be to follow industry standards and make everything a post-delivery dealer or aftermarket option...kind of like a 'stereo delete' option.

Many of the posts have also mentioned different option packages. Do we think the 350Z approach is the right one?

Back