• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX accessory and interior improvement wishlist for Honda

What a great list. The seat heaters and the extra headroom would make the interior perfect IMO

I would like to request these items that were not mentioned already:

English tan (aka cognac) colored leather like you find in classic English and Italian sports cars, especially with the silver exterior.

Side-impact airbags, head restraint curtains (surviving being hit by a drunk idiot in his SUV -- the ultimate luxury feature).

Defeatable stability control (braking individual wheels in an emergency situation to regain control, something which the driver cannot do)

Higher 6th gear for better fuel economy on long drives (you never use 6th for acceleration in real life anyway)

Lit keyhole (there must be room to have it and the electronic key security both)

Sunglasses holder, or at least a place to put one.

Remote for doors on key head itself (in addition to security chip) to avoid the bulky remote in addition to the key ring.

Trunk release on key too

Trunk that opens by itself when released, so you don't have to pull up the sides of the spoiler while your hands are full

Gas cap door which pivots open without using an interior release switch, so long as the car is unlocked (like on BMWs on Mercedes)

Better factory horn sound (it is really wimpy, especially in a car so low that you really need it to stop SUVs backing up at you)

Dashboard less likely to make noises over bumps (don't have two plastic pieces which can rub against eachother over bumps like in the current version).

Headlights unlike those lumpy ones on the '02-'04, tail lights not at all like those colon shaped add-ons on the HSC.

Wheels which do not bulge out, and thereby make themselves vulnerable to scraping when parking close to the curb.

A better solution for a front skirt which does not get scraped up all the time

... and strongly second these items which were already mentioned:

Auto dimming rearview, or at least a photochromatic dim rather than the tilting up and down which really never aligns correctly in night view.

1-2 good cupholders (removeable for those who are for some reason bothered by them -- people like me who use the car as a daily driver want a place to put our morning coffee where it won't spill at the first corner.

To have the leather smell back in the car.

Auto up/down windows (at least right side down, even if adding auto up is too heavy or expensive due to needed sensors)

Optional Navigation System

More presets for the radio (either more buttons or an "FM2" set)

XM Satellite Radio

Memory positions for drivers seat, possibly triggered automatically by the key like on BMWs.

More interior storage, such as inside the armrests

Better factory exhaust sound

Center horn hub - then put stereo volume up/down and track +/- duplicate controls on the spokes instead.

More passenger legroom.

Color-selectable gauges (or perhaps just use blue instead of orange)

...but please leave exactly as it is

The placement, action, and shape of the shifter

The use of separate single-function controls - no iDrive/MMI/etc.

The very comfortable seats

The high reliability and quality

Thank you for asking and listening to your customers, Honda/Acura!

Chip

Last edited:
PS

Honda/Acura:

If you get too much contradiction in these suggestions, may I suggest that you might have a "luxury package" which would include things like cup holder(s), satellite radio, auto dim mirror, etc. Then without having to deal with a whole set of messy options, you can still make both groups happy. You might also have a "race package" which goes the other way -- deleting A/C, radio, etc. for lowest weight.

Chip

First off-HONDA ROCKS FOR ACTUALLY LISTENING TO ITS OWNERS!!!

I agree with alot of what has been said but just want to add three (and a half) things:

1) ability to disable TCS on long term basis. It's obvious that TCS makes the car slower, and I don't use it unless it's raining. It's just a pain to have to manually switch it off everytime I get in the car to start it up. Could you just have an on/off button, so I could leave it off and only turn it on when I want to? I think most people who go for a high end sports cars like to have more driver control over the vehicle than your average buyer, and having a computer interfere with my driving bugs me.

2) No vinyl sidebolsters on your seats. I have other honda products, and I know it is standard operating procedures to use vinyl on the sides of the seats and other 'less noticeable areas'. But for goodness sakes, this is a high end premium sports car, and I don't think that you should skimp here. The reason I am complaining is that the vinyl isn't as strong as the leather and my sidebolsters as ripped.

3) DUMP BOSE! It sucks. If you read alot of owner posts, you will realize how unsatisfied we are with this audio company. Japan has sooo many better stereo manufacturers--why do you have to use Bose.
3&1/2 Since we are on the subject of stereos, could you make the cut out in the dash more receptive to aftermarket options. The way the Bose is set up in there now, if you want to go with a better aftermarket unit, you're likely to have a very ugly cut out where the Bose used to be.

I have been watching this thread and I have to say I hope Honda had a sense of humor about some of these suggestions. With all the luxury/gizmo, add on, shiny stuff requested here the next NSX will weigh 2 tons.
I do agree that some items should be updated to more modern spec. such as the stereo (should have at least the same options as other new Acuras) and keyless entry (updated to the same as other new Acuras). I'm sure Honda already knows this. They may not have known about the visor problem so hopefully they fix that one.
I love the current interior layout. It is by far one of the nicest of any car produced. The seats are a perfect fit they don't need a bunch of extra heavy adjuster motors. I love how the ergonomics of the car are so perfect without 40 different adjustments. They aren't needed. People here are asking for a lot of gimmicky items, but forget that adding many of these will further increase the cost and even worse, weigh the car down. I for one hope the next gen will weigh less, not have 8 way seats. I would rather it have full manual seats. I use this as an example, but I would like to see the next generation NSX have more of what made the first generation so great, “less”.
I trust Honda will keep the tradition of the NSX, revolutionary technology, refinement, and performance.

Will Cantrell

With all due respect to those who think electronic gadgetry is somehow anathema to a true sports car experience. Have you not seen the cockpit of a modern race car? I think Honda has a chance to again make a supercar that excels in the performance, ergonomic and electronic arena. Let’s use electronic gadgetry appropriately to reduce weight and increase the driving experience.

Bluetooth technology is here today and to stay. That technology will revolutionize how we do everything, including wiring cars. Think of how much weight, raw material and labor cost can be saved by eliminating all control wiring. Currently the big three here in Detroit are seriously considering going wireless—that means that there will not be a control wire that goes from the console to the left rear turn signal, for example.

Going wireless means that we have access to all transducer values anywhere. This revolutionizes how the cockpit can be laid out and can dramatically reduce weight by eliminating a control box for every specialized function (TCS, ABS, Climate…) and thus allow viewing and control anywhere, even while walking around the car looking at the oil temp reading on the Bluetooth iPAQ that comes standard with the next NSX.

Think auto rain wipers add too much weight and expense. How about the weight, cost and ergonomic noise reduction of not having a wiper control stalk—if they’re automatic, why do we need a stalk for control? On our Volvo XC70, I rarely touch the wiper control and I live in Michigan.

This is a time to think outside the box to help Honda develop a car that will knock the socks off the competition like they did in 1990.

DanO

NSX2398 said:
the best route may be to follow industry standards and make everything a post-delivery dealer or aftermarket option...kind of like a 'stereo delete' option.
I really like the way all the features on the car come as a package from the factory, not as dealer-installed options. For one thing, dealer installation is inconvenient and subject to installation errors. For another thing, Acura offers incredible value in its cars for precisely this reason - they have economies of scale in making all the cars with the same features. I would hope that they can provide lots of comfort and convenience features as standard equipment, while still making the car a great value for the money - what they do with all their other models.

NSX2398 said:
Many of the posts have also mentioned different option packages. Do we think the 350Z approach is the right one?
Well, they could certainly offer two models - a stripped lightweight model and a fully equipped model, as several people have mentioned here. That would be fine with me. I would find it particularly interesting to see how each model sells. Based on Acura's experience with the Zanardi NSX, which sold poorly when new, my belief is that those who are looking for a stripped version are a tiny minority and/or are primarily interested in buying such a car used, not new. But it would be nice to have two versions available, and prove or disprove that hypothesis (as the Zanardi seems to have already done).

Originally posted by paulviriyapan
2) No vinyl sidebolsters on your seats. I have other honda products, and I know it is standard operating procedures to use vinyl on the sides of the seats and other 'less noticeable areas'. But for goodness sakes, this is a high end premium sports car, and I don't think that you should skimp here. The reason I am complaining is that the vinyl isn't as strong as the leather and my sidebolsters as ripped.
The side bolsters on the seats - the pieces that come in contact with you, including the ones that tend to wear if people slide across them when entering the car - are currently leather, not vinyl.

Oh yeah, I'd like center vents that I can point somewhere other
than into my eyes. :) The way the dash is so sloped, it seems
impossible to point the air downward.

1. Two preset driving positions that will adjust the telescoping steering wheel, seat position fore/aft, and side mirrors.

2. Automatic retraction of seats and telescoping steering wheel when the ignition is turned off to ease egress/ingress. These should return to the selected preset driving position upon iginition. The operation I'm describing may be seen in the Lexus SC400.

3. Electroluminescent gauge cluster needles

4. Integrate radio antenna into rear hatch glass as is done with current Accords

5. Replace leather on outside seat bolsters with a more wear-resistant but high-quality looking/feeling material.

6. Cubbyhole for sunglasses

7. Cubbyhole for cell phone with nearby power outlet

[Edit: addition:]
8. Steering wheel mounted stereo controls for volume and track/station

Last edited:
post number one

red 1991 manual

Some may believe in the axiom of choice, some may not, as I tend to believe it I will make two wish list.

One for the standard version and the other as options.

Standard:

memory seats
integrated smartenna
more powerful sound system
paddle shifting

electronic gauges on steering ( like F1 racing cars ) with on dash popping up analog instrument panel ( your choice, you could close it and rely only on the steering electronic display )

scissors type doors ( it is to some extend related with the interior! :) ! )

more space behind seats?

Options:

Heated seats
Dual climate A/C
Laptop or device to access car's computer and diagnostic systems( I think the new trend in sportscar will be to have choice/adjustability in computer managing systems like the suspension set up...)

Center driving position like the Mc Laren F1.
The new NSX would be a two seater or a three seater!

Of course I LOVE the actual NSX interior wich I believe is the nicest in the industry period. Always very difficult to improve the best...keep the same elegant, classy, modern yet sporty and original interior...

Last edited:
I have a 1995 NSX-T. Here are my thoughts:

ERGONOMICS
Keep the interior layout basically the same. It works. As with some external queues like the integrated spoiler, the sloping center console to me is the NSX's interior trademark. However you can't read the display during the day if you have your running lights on, or if you have the top off. This was a big slip-up. I feel that the knobs are outdated and can be seen from far away.

The gas pedal is too far right of the brake pedal. I could heal-toe easily in other cars, but not the NSX. I wear a size 12 shoe.

The seats are near perfect, but I'm always moving them back to get in/out and moving them up to drive. Here memory settings would be nice. Reconfigure the leather work so that the seat bolster can be replaced separately and easily after normal wear & tear (see the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale seats).

The steering wheel could be fatter, but the shape and diameter are very good. The horn should be in the center, because we Americans are used to nailing the center of the wheel when someone cuts us off. Mount basic audio (see your Accord model) and climate control on the steering wheel. The quality of my rearview mirror's glass is almost the only area that I believe is poor quality in the NSX. Put a small outside temp readout and compass in it like many cars have.

The shifter is perfect. Period. Unless you want to give us paddle shifters...

ELECTRONICS
Please delete the tape deck. A tape deck in an $80K-car is simply comical. Replace it with a good CD system. Dual climate control is needed since we are talking about the comfort of two and only two in a small cockpit.

I'd like to see a digital engine temperature a la Honda sportbikes. Whatever changes are made to the gauges please let form continue to follow function (chrome borders on gauges are too distracting). Leave shiny aluminum out of the interior as well; this is a fad. Would a fulltime heads-up display not allow the dash pod to be lowered and provide an even better view of the road?

I view the NSX as a driver's sportscar, so I see no need for some of the stuff requested. I would vote to avoid voice-activated controls. I see no need for a NAV system. The focus should be on driving, not finding the nearest resaurant. I'd rather see that real estate occupied by buttons for comfort/sport/race suspension settings.

Last edited:
New NSX

I have a 1994 NSX Auto.
I would like to see:
1) CUP HOLDER in center behind the shifter. I re-designed my center counsole to put one in my NSX. Excellent place & does not spill. It is like the one in the 1994 lexus sc400
2) BETTER STEREO, mp3/cd player/6 disc changer, maybe nakamaichi with 8" or 10" sub. The bose does not sound good.
3) NAVIGATION system & video for rear
4) BETTER AC UNIT with inside/outside air temp
5) BETTER POWER WINDOWS faster, one touch open & close.
6) SUNGLASS HOLDER like the one in the 2000 Acura TL
7) HOME LINK programable garage opener like the one the TL
8) BETTER GUAGES add a few digital like the odometer and trip meter, keep the red/orange lights as they are better for night driving.
9) BETTER REAR MIRROR, auto diming & direction indicator. Some cars (new Nissan/Infinity) have the mirror with 3 button home link built in.
10) TIRE AIR PRESSURE SENSOR
11) MORE INTERIOR STORAGE, better glove box and side door pockets would be nice
12) 2 POSITION AUTO MEMORY SEATS (do not need heat)
13) STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS for radio, I like the horn buttons where they are.
14) SAME COLOR through the interior. I had to paint my top color to match the rest of my lether.
15) AUTO TILT STEERING WHEEL
16) PLEASE DO NOT DOWNGRADE the auto or any US version

- Although the NSX is a good mix between practical and sport. A few things would make it a better daily driver, since a lot of us like to drive it more than just once a week. Everything else is excellent such as the cockpit feeling, layout, view from interior, etc....
- Also almost every luxury model acura has most of the goodies listed by us so whatever you could add in without too much weight would be nice.
- THANKS

I have a 96 NSX-T. The current interior is very good for the most part. Controls are intuitive and easy to use, despite the fact the car actually has some fairly complex systems. The ergonomics are great although not scaled for me (6'6").

A few suggestions:
1) Leather smell seats.
2) More headroom. Keep the current (low) seating position.
3) Current seats are great... probably perfect for most people, but I really need an extra inch or two of width.
4) Shift lights, preferably in the top of the steering wheel or a heads up display.
5) One decent cupholder. I wouldn't use it all that often, but it's really convenient when you need one.
6) Small cubbyholes for sunglasses, garage door opener, wallet, cell phone, etc. Maybe map pockets?
7) The glove box in the '96 is a joke... the passenger airbag was added after the original '91 design and it leaves nothing but a narrow slot.
8) Outside temperature display.
9) Keep the analog instruments (at least the tach). Although a set of bar graph type LCD/LED/ELD displays for auxiliary guages might be nice. Oil temp guage.
10) Keep similar sightlines... good visibility, low dash.
11) Keep the cruise control. I take several long trips each year and use it.
12) In dash CD (no tape). Perhaps an MP3 upload (or CD copy to internal memory) capability instead of the CD changer. Standard DIN slot.
13) Current pedal placement does not work for me (size 13), although that was easily fixed with add-on pedals. Better pedal placement or some type of adjustability would be nice.
14) Quality. Make it last. No wimpy controls that will break off with an errant elbow or knee.
15) Keep a real trunk. I do have to take a change of clothes when I go to the track or for a weekend trip.

Toys that might be interesting if well executed:
1) A simple heads up display if the display is clearly legible in most conditions. Analog tach bar, shift lights and optional digital speed.
2) Provisions for built-in radar detector.
3) Intelligent (radar) cruise control
4) Recorder for speed, revs, gear, lateral and long Gs, key engine measurements. A USB port so you can download it to your laptop. Shouldn't require much additional electronics. (Integrating an in-car video camera setup for track days would be fun too.)

Not particularly interested in nav system or other fancy display/control doodads.

Despite all the feature requests, keep the overall focus on performance. I want something closer to a GT3 than an M3 or an SL.

CokerRat said:

2. Automatic retraction of seats and telescoping steering wheel when the ignition is turned off to ease egress/ingress. These should return to the selected preset driving position upon iginition. The operation I'm describing may be seen in the Lexus SC400.
Not sure what you mean by the retraction of seats. I have an SC400, and the feature of the steering wheel telescoping in and tilting up is a nice convenience for sliding in and out. But the seat does not move. The passenger seat does glide forward when you release it to go to the back seats, but that is different, and no NSX should ever have a back seat.

My mother's Mercedes C class does have a driver's seat that goes back and forward as you describe, but she doesn't like it. It is still finishing moving the seat after she has put the car into gear and gotten underway if she doesn't stop and wait for it, which she finds very disorienting while backing up, etc. It might be just her, though. I know I have never had to wait for the steering wheel in my Lexus...

Also, one other thing I was reminded of by posts above is that the dead pedal should be wider. I find that unless I wear narrow shoes, there is no room to fit my foot there left of the clutch. I actually end up limiting what shoes I will buy based on this.

Chip

Thanks for all the input. Here is the feedback I just received from the Honda employee who asked for this list:

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you.
I have a excellent list to give to the product planning guys.

He asked me to start another thread for input on mechanical and chassis issues (still not powertrain, sorry!). That new thread is located here.

Leave AS IS!

The interior is pretty much great as is. I say leave the SPORTS car mentality the way it is now. The interior of the NSX is alreay luxurious for a sports car. If you want SERIOUS luxury buy a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus. Enough said!

Don't change a thing on the interior it is perfect...

Do not add any of the above unless they add no weight and add no additional cost.

If you do choose to please the other demographics please please make a bare bones version.

optional accessories might include say a supercharger...??? small turbine? say jato rockets?

hg

91 Blk/blk

Mine is a '99 I bought new on 12/99

auto up/down buttons for both windows with a safety stop feature

delete cupholders

button to disengage cruise control on steering wheel (pushing both is inconvenient)

Xenon lights high and low beam

Delete cassette player and add in-dash CD player

keep the exact same seats - they're wonderful!!

Delete the ashtray and use the space for a cell phone holder

make the warning signs on visors removable

auto dim rearview and side mirrors

more (and more attractive) interior lighting

XM radio

replace radio antenna with an invisible but effective one

remote that also opens trunk and beeps/blink when operated

Xenon fog lights standard

heads up display

I didn't even see this thread until Lud's April Fools joke (which I fell for, damn you man). These should be posted in the DIY forum :)

I drive an NSX-T as a daily driver. In general the cockpit ergonomics are awesome, there's very little I'd change. Since I drive my car every day you can count me in favor of the luxury exotic, not the track exotic. With that in mind...

- Stuff that's broken:

keyless entry: It must give audio and visual feedback to the user. I hate having to listen for the door lock actuators.

ash tray: Nobody smokes in an NSX. use the space for something else.

- Stuff that's missing:

NAV system: Functionality akin to the Pioneer AVIC-N1, but without the silly "pop out" screen. In the current NSX I'd put it where the radio is.

Place for wallet/sun glasses/cell phone in the center console. Far more useful than an ash tray in California.

- Convertible Stuff that's missing:

heated seats: convertibles have to have them. They were the first things I installed in my 96.
keyless trunk: another must, you can't keep stuff in the cabin (it blows out) so you open the trunk all the time
webbing pocket: a friend's 2001 M-Roadster has a small webbing pocket next to the passengers left leg. Perfect for sunscreen or any other little thing. It's pretty useful. Not a must, but you should check it out.

- Items that are not broken even though everyone else says they are:

cup holder: Works fine the way it is. It's invisible when I don't need it, and the one time in 30 I do I'm just happy it's there.

Thanks for listening!

NSX-R style interior with true carbon-fibre dash, momo wheel,
light weight seats, very little sound insulation, no A/C, no power seats or power glass BUT with radio/CD (obviously as an option).
Velocity stacks and lightweight lexan engine cover with ram-air scoop. Carbon-fibre hood, trunk and JGTC-style rear-diffuser
also on the R-type version. yum-yum.

1991 5-speed

Changes:

- Add Recirculation button on the steering wheel. Very convenient without taking eye off road when diesels or old cars are in front of me.
- Digital tire pressure reading. Not low pressure warning idiot light
- The beep..beep..beep sound (when key is in ignition cylinder,engine off, and door open) has been around since the 1981 Accord. It is annoying and is not appropriate for an expensive sports car. Make the sound more pleasant to distinquish it from my Civic
- The carpet grade is cheap and not much different than a Civic grade.
- Even when vehicle is new, A/C is not strong enough, especially with black interior. Toyota's (Nippon Denso compressors) AC blows Ice cubes
- Improve grade of leather on seats or offer an Ecsaine / Alcantara fabric option
- Add air bag disable switch so I can take my young kid/toddler or add automatic disable system with installation of child seat or booster
- Go back to manual steering. Power steering makes the steering less direct and leave the driver less connected with the road. will find the manual steering difficult. But owners quickly adapt within a few weeks by developing the arm muscles and then the steering feels very natural.
- More headroom (for helmets) without making the car taller.

Keep it the same:

- Full set of gauges, do not remove the oil pressure gauge since this also tells driver when the engine oil is fully warmed up.
- All gauges must be dedicated, not shared to display multiple information. Driver needs to have full access at all times without having to push a button to change display settings.
- No menu driven controls such as BMW's "I-Drive". I like dedicated buttons.
- Seats are perfect, don't change a thing. Adjustement for fore-aft and recline angle are all that we need.
- Minimal gimmicky gadgets - Heated seats are not necessary and manual adjustment of tilt and telescope is fine. Do not add power tilt.
- Do not add Brake Assist. This inhibits driver control by unnecessary engagment of full brake effort.
- Air box intake noise is terrific. The noise is not loud yet gives driver good audio feedback when aggressive throttle is used

Last edited:
I own a 1991 with 124,000 miles. :)

Even better is to stick to a standard 1 or 2 DIN aftermarket mounting and allow customers to make their choice.
Excellent suggestion which I second. Also a more rectangular climate control system layout no match cosmetically with the single/double DIN stereo opening.

Also a REAL subwoofer would be welcome. Not the 4" bose "subwoofer". Actuall, I would also say get rid of the entire Bose powered speaker system (I did as soon as I got my car).

Real leather Visors would also be nice.

Thanks for listening, Honda!

Here is my take on the HSC, forget all the useless gadgets. All these things will just add weight to the car. Since this is a pleasure car, the alluminum body, carbon fiber seats, and more ponies in the back should suffice. Again, don't give me heated seats, automatic window and related...........................two things "wieght reductions" and "more ponies". I am serious!!!!!!!

Back