• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Aftermarket Exhaust Options

Ive gone through some sound clips on youtube and i cant seem to find one that fits my taste. I currently have the taitec JGTC Parallel Exhaust and to be honest, it is just too loud for me and my neighborhood.

I want to find an exhaust which sounds more like a motorcycle, something more high pitch instead of deep tone. More stock ferrari sound lol.

I really enjoy the stock exhaust sound from a 350z / G35 but i would perfer a slightly deeper note.

does anyone have an suggestions. I know most of the sound is engine related....

Last edited:
I currently have the taitec JGTC Parallel Exhaust and to be honest, it is just too loud for my and my neighborhood.
I want to find an exhaust which sounds more like a motorcycle, something more high pitch instead of deep tone. More stock ferrari sound lol.

I really enjoy the stock exhaust sound from a 350z / G35 but i would perfer a slightly deeper note.

does anyone have an suggestions. I know most of the sound is engine related....

You say your JGTC is too loud. You say you want something that is high pitched instead of deep. Then you say you like the 350z but want deeper. So which is it, do you want high pitched or deeper?

And the ONLY real way to get a high pitched sound from an NSX is a Y into a single exhaust pipe and no cats. In other words.... louder than crap. Oh, and you have to pull the bottom part of your rear valance off to make it fit.

GT009.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/146855-TaiTec-GT-009-exhaust

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ad1XphQUj1Q?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Last edited:
Did someone say "ear muffs", and was I the only one that keep't looking for a cop car to appear behind the NSX, signaling a traffic stop.:biggrin:
Race car loud.

You say your JGTC is too loud. You say you want something that is high pitched instead of deep. Then you say you like the 350z but want deeper. So which is it, do you want high pitched or deeper?

And the ONLY real way to get a high pitched sound from an NSX is a Y into a single exhaust pipe and no cats. In other words.... louder than crap. Oh, and you have to pull the bottom part of your rear valance off to make it fit.

View attachment 96818

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/146855-TaiTec-GT-009-exhaust

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ad1XphQUj1Q?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

that indeed sounds awesome but crazy loud... I actually ment g35 but louder.. If possible g35 sound when idle and high pitched when revved... A lot to ask but I want to see if its possible.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/1785089" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

You won't get a g35 sound out of an nsx. Nor should an nsx ever sound like one. Just get a pride v2 and call it a day!

Stock Ferrari sound and not too loud? Try the Tubi exhaust. Very hard to find but it may be what your looking for.

Listen to payam972. It's exactly what you want

Don't forget to replace the cast iron lead weight exhaust manifolds with proper headers if have an earlier model. Better sound and a little hp gain to boost.

As I am also looking for exhaust, I have to ask, what is the obsession with the Pride V2? I really don't know much about it and would appreciate some feedback.
Currently I'm looking at the Taitec GT Lightweight and the SOS exhaust. Is the sound and design of the Pride that much better? Thanks!

The pride is a copy (and some say slight improvement in pipe bends) of the old GT-one 5.1 exhaust, at less cost. A lot less, like 1/2. The GT-one exhausts came in many variations and most tried for a high pitched F1 sound, their quality was top notch. The 5.1 and pride exhausts, also known as the "pretzel" exhausts because of the convoluted piping, create a very high pitched ferrari type sound. Not quite as much as what CL65 captain has posted, but that exhaust is unbearably loud. The GT-one/prides are pretty quiet units, until you really go high in RPM at high throttle. I must say, I like the sound personally. I had a GT-one 5.0, which was a 5.1 with built in electronic valve control to make it more loud or more quiet from inside the cabin. It did work, and I do miss the high pitched wail. But the drawback to the pride and GT-one 5.1 is that they are heavier and they restrict flow a little. IMO not as much as people think, but a bit more over some other designs.

So for the OP, because it is high pitched and can be quiet, it's a good choice.

The SOS endura is a copy of the taitec GT lightweight exhaust. They are light, I believe just under 17 pounds and they flow pretty good. It's a nice exhaust, but I have heard it side by side with my GT-one, and it is definitely not as quiet at highway and idle, and not as high pitched or good sounding (IMO). I'm basing my opinions on side by side comparisons not YouTube videos.

I switched my exushst which originally cost me $3500 for an ARC titanium, which retails around 6K. The ARC is under 12 pounds on my scale, high 11's. The taitec/SOS endura is 16-17, the pride and GT-one are around 24 I believe, and the OEM is around 40. There are a number of other very good exhausts, member Angus makes a good one, there are a number of titanium ones that can now be had around 2K, and I have seen some nice custom ones. The tubi is a nice exhaust, made by the famous Italian exotic exhaust maker, but it is pricey and IMO, not as good as what it costs. So it's not as popular. If you want lightweight, super free flow, and extreme quality at a reasonable price, and don't mind a bit loud, the old STMPO exhaust is awesome. There is a used one in the marketplace. They are no longer made.

I have a 1st generation comptech, I havent seen another one, but it sounds great, sporty, not too loud just perfect imo.
I plan on adding headers soon, then it should sound even better

Since you're in San Fran, why not meet up with the local guys and hear what's out there first. Video's are one thing....but nothing like hearing an exhaust in person.

Btw, I've heard a number of exhaust, it's all relative to preference. I don't think I've ever heard one that I really didn't like. I even like the stock sound sometimes... :biggrin: But for now, I'm rolling with a Pride V2. I have headers and no cats, and it's still not that loud in my opinion.

I have a 1st generation comptech, I havent seen another one, but it sounds great, sporty, not too loud just perfect imo.
I plan on adding headers soon, then it should sound even better

I just ordered the CT Engineering Gen2 Exhaust today. Thanks again for all of the help Turbo2Go!

I just ordered the CT Engineering Gen2 Exhaust today. Thanks again for all of the help Turbo2Go!

Good choice.

What I am going to say will be heresy for some :eek: but here it goes anyway :tongue:

Of all the exhausts I have heard, what I find intriguing is how many try to mimic an F1 high pitch, or want the deep growl of a rumbling V8 (think of RM's exchausts) - not to mention the entire discussion of weight savings measured in "grams" too :rolleyes:

My perspective is that one has to stay somewhat true to the NSX being a V6 (with a VTEC kicking at low 5000 RPM). Rather than try to mimic another exotic sound, it should have its own distinctive one. Sadly, the oem header/exhaust even on the NA2 does not offer something particularly distinctive - even at the high RPMs. The Comptech (CT now) older/newer versions have a peculiar resonance/raspiness (almost no drone) that you can tell from a distance that its an NSX with a CT exhaust. And at one time the twin Borla mufflers offered by Anytime came also close to a unique offering that again IMHO best suited the NSX without being too ricey or loud. YMMV.

Last edited:
Good choice.

What I am going to say will be heresy for some :eek: but here it goes anyway :tongue:

Of all the exhausts I have heard, what I find intriguing is how many try to mimic an F1 high pitch, or want the deep growl of a rumbling V8 (think of RM's exchausts) - not to mention the entire discussion of weight savings measured in "grams" too :rolleyes:

My perspective is that one has to stay somewhat true to the NSX being a V6 (with a VTEC kicking at low 5000 RPM). Rather than try to mimic another exotic sound, it should have its own distinctive one. Sadly, the oem header/exhaust even on the NA2 does not offer something particularly distinctive - even at the high RPMs. The Comptech (CT now) older/newer versions have a peculiar resonance/raspiness (almost no drone) that you can tell from a distance that its an NSX with a CT exhaust. And at one time the twin Borla mufflers offered by Anytime came too the closest unique offering that again IMHO best suited the NSX without being to ricey or loud. YMMV.

I was particularly happy with the Tubi I had. It was half the weight of the OEM, and gave me a bump in HP. No rasp. After a few thousand miles of break in, no drone. It was loud, but not obnoxiously so, and decently muted at low RPMs. The sound was deep, resonant, and when the revs crossed into VTEC, it changed to a wail. I never thought it sounded "F1" or like a Ferrari, but it did have a similar tone to other Tubi exhausts. But the best thing about it, it was still very NSXey in its sound.

BTW, I bought it new 3 years ago. I suspect they can still be sourced.

Yes the Tubi would be my third choice - albeit it had that "peculiar" or characteristic gurgle when the revs were coming down. Not sure if that was resolved or over time remedied itself.

I just went thru this whole process - looking for a little low RPM rumble, no drone, and a nicer high RPM wail. The guys at SOS were very helpful and very sure the Endura lightweight was the right fit, and so far i like it. It's not a tubi but it does awaken the NSX without being obnoxious or annoying.
I have to say, though, the Downforce air intake scoop puts an amazing intake howl smack in your Left ear at VTEC which is really quite awesome and addictive! Cheap thrills!!

My favorite is the pride v2. Great sound, but a little drone. Not recommended for FI.

I have a comptech gen2 now and it sounds pretty nice also.

Least fav is the gtlw. Hated it. Droned like crazy. Others have had similar experiences, though some have no drone.

I already have comptech headers on my 96, and from the sound clips ive been hearing, the pride v2 that everyone is suggesting, sounds very similar to my taitec

Dear All

I have ARK exhaust and also an aftermarket headers. Mine is a 91 Auto. I have it for quite a few years but I don't drive it a lot. Is there a reason why the engine/header/exhuast combo sound different everyday. What I mean is sometimes it is quite low and solid (which I think the should be considered as normal). Sometimes it is like mumbling and not smooth, and is like it has something floppy inside. It does affect the performance as well (stronger pull vs slower start). The difference in sound is also irregular and unpredictable. What I can tell is if it starts with a solid sound, it runs solid the whole trip and vice versa. Is it because there is leakage somewhere along the exhaust system?

Regards

Ben

Back