• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX an exotic or just a sports car

Gordon Murray owned one and based many aspects of the McLaren F1 on his NSX experience. Does that have any influence over your "exotic" argument?

Last edited:
Take the modest approach... it's just a car. If you love/enjoy it, that's all that should matter.

Some of my friends love it, others that aren't into cars think it's just a sports car, or know nothing about it. Doesn't matter to me.

I agree...true modesty is hard to argue with.

I see the NSX as an Exotic.
I also see the NSX as a sports car.
I DO NOT see the NSX as a "Supercar", however.

As this subject has in fact been beaten..its all relative.

To me, its an exotic supercar. When this car was introduced it became a benchmark. True...it could have had more power...but still did more than cars with more power than it. (see best motoring dvds..) The point is this...it did more, with less, than some cars present day. It was ahead of its time and still stands up as a highly respected piece of automotive engineering....and art. When u see people cracking tbeir necks to get a better look...its something thats obviously special, beutiful, and rare.....and my GOD they sound so good.

Ive been in lots of different sports cars and still havent found one that "fits" me like an nsx. It stirs my senses and makes me grin everytime I get the pleasure of driving one. If that doesnt designate it as an exotic....well...there must be something wrong woth me.

Last edited:

To me, its an exotic supercar. When this car was introduced it became a benchmark. True...it could have had more power...but still did more than cars with more power than it. (see best motoring dvds..) The point is this...it did more, with less, than some cars present day. It was ahead of its time and still stands up as a highly respected piece of automotive engineering....and art. When u see people cracking tbeir necks to get a better look...its something thats obviously special, beutiful, and rare.....and my GOD they sound so good.

Ive been in lots of different sports cars and still havent found one that "fits" me like an nsx. It stirs my senses and makes me grin everytime I get the pleasure of driving one. If that doesnt designate it as an exotic....well...there must be something wrong woth me.

There should be nothing to add to Barney's post - I almost didn't respond to this because I wanted this thread to end with Barney's post but I couldn't help myself. I can only agree emphatically with Barney!

Anyone else that has a tough time with this because it's not super expensive and neither are the repairs just doesn't get it. Is it on par with Ferrari - well when it came out in 91 it surpased the Ferrari of the day in its category - now well the Ferrari has once again moved to top position depending on who you read. Does it have 12 cylinders - nope and so it's not an exotic??? That is just a silly argument.

I hope all this is making the OP feel better.....:wink:

The same debate is raging on the Pagani forum and the Koenigsegg site.

Thanks primers for all the responses. A month before I purchased the nsx I was set on a 02 911 turbo. I drove 12hours to Indiana to pick the car up and I fanaly arriced and checked the car out. The exterior looked great but the interior looked like it was from pontiac. It just felt like everything was cheap and I can take my finger and scratch my name in any panel. Just like the e46 enteriors. So I declined and drove back 12hours trying to figure out what to do. Long story short I decided on the nsx. I loved it untill I brought it home where my friends ripped it apart and were "discouraged" that I went from a 911turbo to an nsx. Another longer story shorted. **** em, I love my nsx. "Get busy living, or get busy dieng"

Thanks primers for all the responses. A month before I purchased the nsx I was set on a 02 911 turbo. I drove 12hours to Indiana to pick the car up and I fanaly arriced and checked the car out. The exterior looked great but the interior looked like it was from pontiac. It just felt like everything was cheap and I can take my finger and scratch my name in any panel. Just like the e46 enteriors. So I declined and drove back 12hours trying to figure out what to do. Long story short I decided on the nsx. I loved it untill I brought it home where my friends ripped it apart and were "discouraged" that I went from a 911turbo to an nsx. Another longer story shorted. **** em, I love my nsx. "Get busy living, or get busy dieng"

when 10 years from now you are still wringing the neck out out of your trouble-free nsx, ask them for their repair bills on their 'exotics'. you are absolutely right- 'f*** em.
first all alu car, all alu suspension, first double a-arm all around on production car, first v-tec, first electric power steering and all with rock-solid reliability and not nearly as common as the 911s. finally, i think that the best point proving how special the nsx is- continuously gets compared to much newer cars in an attempt to 'expose its' weaknesses'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone needs friends shawn lol. But if you dont wana be friends i understand haha.

To op, i agree an exotic is rare. There more lambos produced in 2002 than an nsx i bet. Plus, exotic doesnt mean power. I think ppls feel it has to be a fast ferrari or lambo. Ask if the aston martin is exotic? I think it is and its not hella fast.

Definitely more lambos produced than in 2006... :wink:

So it is a perfect time to stop hanging out with a bunch of brain dead morons.
Steve

This thread has come along at least 3 times in the almost 2 years I've been on here.

The deal is this I believe, there are a lot of guys that scoff at Japanese cars in general and don't believe anything out of Japan can really hold a candle to the performance of the long termers like Porsche, Mercedes, McClaren, Ferrari, Lambo, etc but that's mostly because they really haven't driven the NSX - don't really know the car - haven't read about it and know too little to make any honest judgement.

We here on Prime have read the books, watched the videos and are owners and are convinced that we own an ICON - not just an exotic sports car or "super car" or some other monicar that you want to apply but we have a car that by all rights should never have happened - but it did! It was conceived at a time when the Japanese were trying to prove a point - trying to make a name for themselves and actually were trying to show the world that their cars and engines were special and could compete on the international scene in racing and FI and they proved their point. The Acura/Honda racing teams and engineers showed the world they had something and then they produced the NSX - all aluminum, monocoque, suspension, body parts with VTECH and then everyone at the time had to STAND UP AND NOTICE and they damn well did. Ferrari said, something like Shit - look at that - damn we better get cooking. They did and well Honda just made this one statement and then they cooled off. Everyone then knew that the Japanese were here to stay and their cars are arguably the best made cars with the best maintenance record in the industry.

They made their point and now we're just watching them sell engines to the likes of Lotus who almost went out of business cause they couldn't build a power plant and tranny that could stay out of the damn shop. Every super car now made learned something from the Japanese.

What us die hard lovers of Japanese tech want to know is what the hell is Honda going to do next - are they done with racing are they done building real sports cars are all the Japanese manufacturers just going to be happy building an engine for another "icon" like Lotus???? So here we are - flash forward to now while we sit and wait for the next icon from Japan - what will Japan do next? MMMMM we all are waiting and just driving our Supras and Z cars and NSXs - waiting and waiting...and hoping.

So it's no wonder that the uninitiated to the likes of the NSX drive their German and Italian and British cars and are gloating while driving their cars from manufacturers that haven't forgotten their roots in racing and actually who can blame them. But we'll still be driving our NSXs won't we! And what a car it still is and it sure is nice to know that it's not going to cost us an arm and a leg to own and drive it. Drive on NSX lovers and who cares what those other racers think - cause in the end the NSX deserves a place in the history of sports exotics and we KNOW it!

Last edited:
I honestly don't care if Honda makes another nsx or not. Our cars was so ahead of its time that all it needs are bolt on mods ( yes i consider a super charger or turbo a bolt on )to put us back up there with the best of them.

Back