• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX coupe or NSX T

Ok, so clearly I see why a lot of people prefer a coupe over the NSX T for weight reduction etc when wanting a quicker car. But tell me, what else is there to be said about owning an NSX T? Pros and cons. Mine is a coupe, but before I got it I was dead set on getting a Targa top. Now as I do more research, it seems like I made the right move. Opinions?

Ok, so clearly I see why a lot of people prefer a coupe over the NSX T for weight reduction etc when wanting a quicker car. But tell me, what else is there to be said about owning an NSX T? Pros and cons. Mine is a coupe, but before I got it I was dead set on getting a Targa top. Now as I do more research, it seems like I made the right move. Opinions?

And what "research" would that be?

price could be one option

And what "research" would that be?

Not particularly the research on which one is better. Honestly, I like the Targa Top better. IMO it just looks even more exotic with the top out. I also own a Jaguar XKR which is convertible, and I love those "top down" days. But when I look at most of the blogs, threads, etc I see that a lot of people claim to prefer the coupe. When I see some 02+ conversions I see where some say that they like the fact that some people have a coupe with the 02+ look over the actual T. Again, my own preference would be the Targa. I just happened to get a good deal on a 94. I looked at Targa in the same color combination Red/Black, but it was an automatic. I slept on it and decided I just wouldn't be pleased with the automatic. Kind of off topic I know but lol.

price could be one option

Definitely a difference in price obviously. i looked at one that was Targa as well, but it was an automatic. i SO almost bought that car. Now, I'm glad I didn't. I enjoy the manual shift, and it has Comptech exhaust with a sound that I love. I'm pleased with where my car is at thus far. It's Red/black. The wheels are black MRR GT1 wheels with the red lip. The seats are black leather with red suede in the center. Pioneer Z2 double din so far, and NavPod. I have an itch to do my 02 conversion so I'm working on that right now as we speak. I kind of started this thread for that very reason though. I wanted to hear from my fellow Primers before going too deep with this one in case I decided to sell for a Targa. Kind of have a mind to just keep this one and keep it moving.

Last edited:
for me it doesnt matter coupe or targa, but i will say targa doesnt hurt im not the person that likes to drive top down or targa off, i had a s2k for 6 years and had the top down under 5 times. but when taking pics i like the top down or targa off look.ha

NSX Coupe is stiffer which makes is a better performance car, targas are good for nice warm evening drives.

If you are very tall you have better chances with a coupe since it has a little more head room.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-12453844351.jpg

JK

,,, I am learning not to argue about Na2 vs Na1 anymore.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-12453844351.jpg

JK

These do seem to recycle endlessly...

For me NA2 is mandatory and the coupe is optional. I would absolutely rather have an NA2 targa than an NA1 coupe.

Now if the coupe hadnt effectively just vanished, Im sure Id have chosen a coupe over the targa.

Like everything with the NSX, the realities of the insanely low production, options that were only available during a narrow window (like a color that was around for 3 years that less than 100 of were made), often dictate what you *can* buy, even with no budget issues.

Finding a clean, 02+, Imola Orange coupe (which would be the "ultimate NSX" to me), might not even be *possible*, let alone realistic.

I love Monaco Blue, a lot... Its my second favorite color after Imola. So that put me back into pre-02. I had the LBPP 03 and the color just never grew on me. In MB, I think there are at best a few coupes made. Who even knows if they are still whole and in good shape.

For someone who, for whatever reason, fixates on the coupe, then its a pretty easy choice since the early models are the absolute cheapest and are all coupes.

NSX Coupe is stiffer which makes is a better performance car, targas are good for nice warm evening drives.

My guess is 90%+ of all have never seen a track and out of the 10% that have maybe .05% have had drivers that would be able to tell the difference in stiffness.

IME, chix dig the targa...

JK

Point taken lol. People tend to get slightly offended at times. Like we are talking politics or religion or something. Truth is the NSX is a great car period whether it be Na1 , Na2, Targa or not. Obviously thats why we are all here (NSX Prime). But hey, each's own. Good entertainment at least.

These do seem to recycle endlessly...

For me NA2 is mandatory and the coupe is optional. I would absolutely rather have an NA2 targa than an NA1 coupe.

Now if the coupe hadnt effectively just vanished, Im sure Id have chosen a coupe over the targa.

Like everything with the NSX, the realities of the insanely low production, options that were only available during a narrow window (like a color that was around for 3 years that less than 100 of were made), often dictate what you *can* buy, even with no budget issues.

Finding a clean, 02+, Imola Orange coupe (which would be the "ultimate NSX" to me), might not even be *possible*, let alone realistic.

I love Monaco Blue, a lot... Its my second favorite color after Imola. So that put me back into pre-02. I had the LBPP 03 and the color just never grew on me. In MB, I think there are at best a few coupes made. Who even knows if they are still whole and in good shape.

For someone who, for whatever reason, fixates on the coupe, then its a pretty easy choice since the early models are the absolute cheapest and are all coupes.

Understandable. And I'd definitely have to agree with you on the Imola being the ultimate NSX. I remember when I first saw one in like 2005. I was like "Whoa" lol...literally. Like I mentioned earlier though, I was just wondering and wanted to hear what Prime had to say in regards to the subject though because I was considering whether or not to go ahead and sell mine or continue doing my thing with it. I'm on my way to do the 02 conversion now. Before doing that I havent gone too far with it. Everything I have done thus far I can undo and use my wheels and extras on another one once I switched up. Once I get to messing around with the conversion though its a wrap pretty much

Last edited:
This is the last reply you need to read on this:

Coupe: Stiffer chassis, less flex, a bit better on the racetrack, safer than Targa with top off for sure, probably slightly safer than targa with roof on in a rollover. A bit more headroom, a better dome light. Slightly lighter.

Targa: Awesome on a nice summer night, reminding you why you bought the car in the first place, taking in the weather and the stars, reminding you that your expensive exhaust system was worth the money.

My car gets 5x more attention with the top off. From both women and the Police. Come to think of it, everytime I have received a ticket in the NSX it has been with the cop handing it to me through the targa area.

If you are married or have a bad driving record, stick with the coupe.

+1

Yep, you made the wrong move. :biggrin:

its an endless battle but yet we still fall into the which is better trap.
every week someone will ask

If we keep beating a dead horse one day that horse will re-animate
and tell us which is better

lets let honda ( the dead horse ) tell us

If the NSX-T is better then why didnt Honda make NSX-R -T?
maybe honda knew the chassis was like butter tring to hold up a marble in a fry pan LOL.

I would even go as far to say the NSX-T was as stiff as a blade of grass in the wind

when you can stir the masses you have done well.

FWIW, there was ONE Monaco Blue Coupe made... it was a 2000 car. there was also ONE Monte Carlo Blue Coupe made, it was a 1997 car.

There is record of the 1997 car being owned by an active NSX club member in Southern California...many have seen it and it is pristine, with black top and all.

for me, best would be an NA2 (pre 2002) coupe, specifically: 1997 Monte Carlo Blue/Black Coupe or the 2001 Grand Prix White/tan Coupe (that whiteNSXs purchased)...After that, a 99 Zanardi...

Last edited:
I know the world is a happier place for me because I was able to take my top off for the drive to work this morning.

And yesterday morning. And every morning last week. And tomorrow and the day after that... :)

What cracks me up is that even with the "T-Targa" off, our cars -are probably- still more stiff than probably 98% of all cars on the streets! :biggrin:

Naw, according to one of the replies in ur infamous thread (that u stole from me) guys like the targa, hoping that chix would too....... only to find out that statistically more guys will come up to a NSX owner for a first date...

Naw, according to one of the replies in ur infamous thread (that u stole from me) guys like the targa, hoping that chix would too....... only to find out that statistically more guys will come up to a NSX owner for a first date...

So I see the thread title and that Batman is the last poster so I am ready for some biased anti-targa propaganda... And this is what I get. :confused: Where is the targa bashing?

Maybe I will just wait until later in the week when another new member posts the same thread and see the responses in that thread.

So I see the thread title and that Batman is the last poster so I am ready for some biased anti-targa propaganda... And this is what I get. :confused: Where is the targa bashing?

Maybe I will just wait until later in the week when another new member posts the same thread and see the responses in that thread.

Targas are heavy, creaky and have the stiffness of wet spaghetti. 95-96 Targas are especially bad because they are the portliest of all NSXs, have the "weak" 3.0 engine and the "slow" US gear stack. Brookland Green Targas are even worse, since that is the slowest color. You'd be better off buying a Buick Park Avenue. ;):D

This is the last reply you need to read on this:

Coupe: Stiffer chassis, less flex, a bit better on the racetrack, safer than Targa with top off for sure, probably slightly safer than targa with roof on in a rollover. A bit more headroom, a better dome light. Slightly lighter.

Targa: Awesome on a nice summer night, reminding you why you bought the car in the first place, taking in the weather and the stars, reminding you that your expensive exhaust system was worth the money.

My car gets 5x more attention with the top off. From both women and the Police. Come to think of it, everytime I have received a ticket in the NSX it has been with the cop handing it to me through the targa area.

If you are married or have a bad driving record, stick with the coupe.

LOL Got you....

Back