• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX coupe or NSX T

Targas are heavy, creaky and have the stiffness of wet spaghetti. 95-96 Targas are especially bad because they are the portliest of all NSXs, have the "weak" 3.0 engine and the "slow" US gear stack. Brookland Green Targas are even worse, since that is the slowest color. You'd be better off buying a Buick Park Avenue. ;):D

LOL and the second one I looked at and seriously considered was a 95 red Targa automatic. Im still glad I didn't end up with that automatic. I would have been trying to sell it the next week I'm SURE.

its an endless battle but yet we still fall into the which is better trap.
every week someone will ask

If we keep beating a dead horse one day that horse will re-animate
and tell us which is better

lets let honda ( the dead horse ) tell us

If the NSX-T is better then why didnt Honda make NSX-R -T?
maybe honda knew the chassis was like butter tring to hold up a marble in a fry pan LOL.

I would even go as far to say the NSX-T was as stiff as a blade of grass in the wind

when you can stir the masses you have done well.

Point taken my friend.

Any Na2 with weight reduction and a proper suspension and exhaust, which are basic mods, can be as great if not better than the glorified Type-R ... and that I am 100% sure.

Oscar

Any Na2 with weight reduction and a proper suspension and exhaust, which are basic mods, can be as great if not better than the glorified Type-R ... and that I am 100% sure.

Oscar

I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Unless we have driven it, we can only speculate. I'm sure a slightly worked NA2 T would put up similar performance numbers, but the tactile feel and feed back of the NA2 R would probably blow the doors off the targe top cars. Its got manual steering for start which in itself is something that a NA2 Targa owner can't have unless they are rich/crazy enough to swap it out.

^ manual steering is less the 1000.00. It is the conversion the other way to eps that is prohibitively expensive

its an endless battle but yet we still fall into the which is better trap.
every week someone will ask

If we keep beating a dead horse one day that horse will re-animate
and tell us which is better

lets let honda ( the dead horse ) tell us

If the NSX-T is better then why didnt Honda make NSX-R -T?
maybe honda knew the chassis was like butter tring to hold up a marble in a fry pan LOL.

I would even go as far to say the NSX-T was as stiff as a blade of grass in the wind

when you can stir the masses you have done well.

Have you ever driven an NSX-T with NSX-R suspension?

The goal of NSX-R is to make it as light as possible and there is no point of making an NSX-R with T because it is 100 plus lbs heavier.

I will bet you my NSX-T with the R suspension will spank any Stock NSX cpe on the track.

If you want to argue about handling, it really comes down to how the car is set up. BMI said the S2k was almost as fast as the first generation NSX-S on the track with a convertible body, and chassis of NSX-T is just as, if not stiffer than the S2k.

You can throw the stock suspension on the a Type R and will not go anywhere with that car.

The bottom line is, if you just want a car to drive, and you can't obtain an NA2 Cpe, I believe most will opt for the NA2 T with more HP and the extra cog. If you ever supercharge one of those, it will run with most modern day sports cars.

Last edited:
Reality is, the weight difference, chassis stiffness difference, etc. is going to be completely irrelevant in you enjoying the car on occassion. I seriously doubt you will be racing this car or pushing it to any limits where it would really make a difference, you're not a professional driver.

With that said - get the one that you feel you will have the most enjoyment with and/or can afford.

That's my 2 cents.

I wouldn't say never feel the difference, Caustic also agrees with me on this point. If you live in a metro area with tons of road imperfections is where you feel the difference in chassis stiffness the most. Caustic's chassis creaked, and developed a interior creak to the point where he had to add stmpo's front and rear bars. He never noticed this before he moved here to NYC area.

My chassis eventually got a little tired too from the larger wheels, and firmer springs where even the coupe started to develop a slight creak where I had to get the dali front bar to eliminate it. I noticed most people who love the T top do not live in a area where the roads punishes the car so they never truly notices its short comings.

Last edited:
Well I track my car on occassion, I reach speeds up over 140 and go through plenty of turns and I honestly don't feel I have any issues. No additional chassis modifications were done to my 2004 targa, only suspension modification was coilovers.

Also, living in the Washington DC area, I assure you - Interstate 66 just outside of the beltway is the ROUGHEST highway I have ever been on in my life, and I have been all over the US and traveled abroad. No creaks, no squeaks, no issues.

Last edited:
I noticed most people who love the T top do not live in a area where the roads punishes the car so they never truly notices its short comings.

LOL... come to Boston pal...

I will bet you my NSX-T with the R suspension will spank any Stock NSX cpe on the track.

and I will bet you my turbo coupe will spank your nsx-t with the r suspension on the track. Nsx-ts are honda after thought that's why its not as good as s2000

and I will bet you my turbo coupe will spank your nsx-t with the r suspension on the track. Nsx-ts are honda after thought that's why its not as good as s2000

lol, I bet you a NSX-T with CTSC/Turbo and Type R suspension will spank your car on the track.:wink:

One thing I don't like about the T is the air/wind noise at 140 mph and higher. Sounds like the window is going to get sucked out.

Last edited:
I know the world is a happier place for me because I was able to take my top off for the drive to work this morning.

And yesterday morning. And every morning last week. And tomorrow and the day after that... :)

TMI! Taking your top off should be your private business and posting on a public forum about you taking your top off going to work is weird (unless you work at a topless bar) :biggrin:

All of the following is merely my opinion and not directed at anyone in particular.

I believe that the difference in performance between a coupe and a -T is overstated, for the most part. I believe that a truly gifted driver and maybe the really experienced track rats will be able to take advantage of the added rigidity of a coupe. Not most NSX drivers will be able to, however. In the hands of most owners, a coupe will be no faster around the track.

But more importantly, and I think most will kinda agree if they really think about it, if one is able to gain a few seconds on a track, who cares? Does ANYONE here get anything for turning, say, a 1:50.4 instead of, say, a 1:45.8? Will ANYONE here go to a track event and actually think "man, that guy really made a bad decision getting that -T... I was almost 4 seconds a lap faster than him."

I feel the chassis twist in my -T on certain road imperfections and you know what? I really don't think it's so bad that it takes away from my enjoyment. With the top off, the flex can get pretty bad but if I have the top off, I'm not at the track, I'm cruising the streets and enjoying the view out the top.

J

well spoken

All of the following is merely my opinion and not directed at anyone in particular.

I believe that the difference in performance between a coupe and a -T is overstated, for the most part. I believe that a truly gifted driver and maybe the really experienced track rats will be able to take advantage of the added rigidity of a coupe. Not most NSX drivers will be able to, however. In the hands of most owners, a coupe will be no faster around the track.

But more importantly, and I think most will kinda agree if they really think about it, if one is able to gain a few seconds on a track, who cares? Does ANYONE here get anything for turning, say, a 1:50.4 instead of, say, a 1:45.8? Will ANYONE here go to a track event and actually think "man, that guy really made a bad decision getting that -T... I was almost 4 seconds a lap faster than him."

I feel the chassis twist in my -T on certain road imperfections and you know what? I really don't think it's so bad that it takes away from my enjoyment. With the top off, the flex can get pretty bad but if I have the top off, I'm not at the track, I'm cruising the streets and enjoying the view out the top.

J

It really comes down to personal preference. What you need to do is find some local NSX owners and have them give you a ride, if possible, let you take the car out for a spin. Also what you planning on doing with the car.

Suspension upgrade is very simple. If you want to be sporty, the most reliable way is to get a set of Zanard/Type S suspicion, where you can buy it in a local dealer.

The open top experience is something I cannot give up in a sports car, so I will always stick with that unless I can somehow afford to get hold of a real NSX-R.

Also if I can ever afford to buy a Italian, I will make sure to buy a convertible as well.

For now, I'm happy with my second NSX-T.

LOL and the second one I looked at and seriously considered was a 95 red Targa automatic. Im still glad I didn't end up with that automatic. I would have been trying to sell it the next week I'm SURE.

He was joking by adding the missing Batman / shawn type comments. :rolleyes: You should have titled this thread:

Auto versus Manual NSX

That was your real decision point. Auto's sell for significantly cheaper than manuals for a reason. Or another good title could have been.

Reassure me about my recent purchase.

" He was joking by adding the missing Batman / shawn type comments. "

LOL

I try and make people laugh at my analogies not tring to bash.

We need you Shawn!
image.php
simpsons_nelson_haha2.png

Last edited:
Thanks Oscar LOL can you do one for BAT?

That was done AGES ago, actually was Batman's dream:

attachment.php

FD (rx7) + Batman Costume + that actor -I can't remember his name- lol

:biggrin:

EDIT: + Pink!

Back