• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Crash in San Diego

Re: Street Racing accident rips NSX in Half (Photos and Video)

I wonder how many talk the talk and walk the walk ........:rolleyes: I am sure a great many here are responsible drivers but there are also those who also participate once in a while doing something they shouldnt

The hypocracy is so annoying. Anyone who owns an NSX and says they haven't been over 100 on a public street is either lying or a pussy. And no, I don't condone street racing either.

:mad:

Be careful guys.

Why should I? I DON'T STREET RACE.

Heaven forbid, if there was some innocent bystander hurt, perhaps I'd feel some pity; but at this point, I feel more sorry for that NSX than the hapless driver. Too bad he wasn't paralyzed - it would take one more stupid driver off America's roads. It's the price one pays for gross display of machismo. Even worse, he lost to a Civic. (or an Evo, as the other thread suggests)

911 dispatcher here who lost a friend many years ago to irresponsible driving, chiming in like several of the paramedics and firefighters on the other thread.

I am sad for the pilot and also for the beautiful NSX , with my job (fireman) I already saw much tragedy like this! I hope that the pilot will cure and that it is not in danger of death, request for his cure! My thoughts go towards him!

+1

Thunder, I didn't know you were a fireman! Much respect.

Let's all stop and give a prayer for this NSX driver Please.

Perhaps a collection of local NSXers in that area or even nationally on prime may be in order. In the end, it may not be much, but every little bit helps.

Has anyone been able to get more details on the owner's condition?

wow dude just saw the video

I can see blood on the air bag :eek:

it takes a special someone to split their nsx in half.

looks like the pole went from the front middle and sliced through the driver side of the car.

wow wow.. cant believe my eyes.

these mid engine cars although great in handling, they are also a handful when it gets sideways... respect the nsx.

anyone know if this is a new owner with little experience of the MR config?:frown:
\
can we put a user name to the car?

Greetings

We don't know if they were racing or just screwing around. To make a play on words from the Bible (and I am not religious) "Let he who has never street raced throw the first stone". Hell, I have and I am old enough to know better.

I am game to donate some money to the family. Does anyone know if there is any kind of bank account setup?

There will be bills, even with excellent insurance. There may be some attorney fees. He can possibly prevent any citation -- can possibly be prevented if no one else hurt, the driver pays to fix the damage, and does not file an insurance claim -- it all depends upon the city -- yes I know this from personal experience.

Martin

Last edited:
Sounds good Im down for helping out,

As I mentioned before I have seen way too much of this in my time working 911 services and in the ER thats why I stopped goofing around on the street ---did I do it all through the 80's and such yep! I dont know how we made through all the stuff we did back then but I would like to think personally that there was more ahead for me...like my recent time overseas in the Army .....was tough but made it, had to learn to walk all over again...I know about acute spinal injuries..the wife and I are praying type of people so we will hold positive thoughts tonight I am sure he has a lot of great things to do in the future :) if anyone orginizes a fund just send me a note please!

Lets keep a high standard in the short time as a member I have found a breath of fresh air compared to other forums!! Respect

A 15 year old boy who is obviously smarter and more mature than that 31 year old NSXer with a broken neck. Hope he is OK.
Steve

Wow. How sincere. That pretty much makes me want to throw up. Glad you've got the back of a 15 year old that doesn't know is a$$ from his elbow.

"hey timmy, should you do drugs?"

"no sir, drugs are bad, I'll never do drugs, or drink alcohol either for that matter"

"Hey timmy, that looks like a bad crowd hanging behind the school"

"Those kids are trouble mister! I don't talk to kids like that... stay in school and eat your vegetables!"

Good god. :rolleyes: And here we are with a grown man in a serious accident and all you guys want to do is get on a soapbox about street racing.
Good thing this is just the internet and not a REAL community.. because with friends like this............ sheesh. Get over yourselves.

Like hell.

All you have to have is two brain cells and an iota of conscience. Everyone knows that people can get hurt or killed in street racing, and they're often not the drivers.

I know that this will ironically get me called a callous dickhead, but frankly, if this guy was street racing, I'm relieved that it was his own neck he broke, and not someone else's. At least now I know there's one less person on the road who could T-bone my wife's car at 120mph as she turns a corner on her way to the store.

Sorry, but I have no patience or empathy for street racing gone bad.

Wow. at least you called yourSELF that.

Well said TiiiteNSX.

I know it's human nature for some to start pointing fingers but no matter how obvious things may seem, everything is still speculation until the investigation concludes. Some of you guys are crucifying the car's owner like you all don't have any skeletons in your closets yourselves. It is possible that he could have had a lapse in judgement but nobody knows for sure. If he was in fact doing what everyone claims then by all means but that is neither here nor there at this point.

My friend is in an induced coma right now and still in ICU. They are unsure if there will be brain damage or whether the brain will start bleeding in the next few days. The biggest concern is a blood clot that is heading towards his lung that has not shrunk and could be fatal. They are monitoring the situation very closely.

His parents were not notified until almost 11pm last night and had no idea the accident had occured. Other friends had to do the deed and I couldn't imagine having to do what doctors and policemen have to do as part of their jobs.

So if you want to bombard him with blame or "you should have known better" type stuff, feel free to man up and go do that in person. Otherwise, have a little respect and save it for later when he's able to defend himself.

Thanks.

Well said. He's in my thoughts. I'm not a religious guy, but I'll say a little prayer tonight.

I rarely post on here although I'm an avid Prime user, but i feel compelled to vent a little....This man is someone's sons, likely someones brother, could be someone's father and he is also a fellow Primer who is clinging to life struggling to survive. To those of you who insist on lambasting this man's actions merely to champion your opinions on street racing, please have some respect for this man. You do not know with 100% certainty what happened. I am not going to advocate street racing in any way, shape or form but obviously, this man cant read your rediculous posts as he in laying in a hospital somewhere with his loved ones pleading for his life....WHAT IS THE POINT OF CRITICIZING HIS ACTIONS AT THIS POINT? How about we take a moment of silence for this man who obviously shares a common bond with us (the love for the nsx) and pray that he will be alive to learn a lesson from this. I hope that a family is not needlessly shattered into peices for an ASSUMED moment of wrecklessness. Lets not call dibs on who can have the motor and tranny from his car (WTF????) and remind him of how stupid his is. That, to me, is going too far. I understand that prime is probably full of 50 year old men that obviously like to impose their viewpoints upon others which is why i never post, but please lets have some respect and hope this man doesn't leave a baby behind just because he made one lapse in judgement. Even if not for him, for his family and friends then. I know he could've killed someone else blah, blah, blah but he didn't and I'm pulling for him to make it through so that we don't have another senseless casualty in California regardless of whose fault it is. I really hope you make it out of this...

+ 1000

I rarely post on here although I'm an avid Prime user, but i feel compelled to vent a little....This man is someone's sons, likely someones brother, could be someone's father and he is also a fellow Primer who is clinging to life struggling to survive. To those of you who insist on lambasting this man's actions merely to champion your opinions on street racing, please have some respect for this man. You do not know with 100% certainty what happened. I am not going to advocate street racing in any way, shape or form but obviously, this man cant read your rediculous posts as he in laying in a hospital somewhere with his loved ones pleading for his life....WHAT IS THE POINT OF CRITICIZING HIS ACTIONS AT THIS POINT? How about we take a moment of silence for this man who obviously shares a common bond with us (the love for the nsx) and pray that he will be alive to learn a lesson from this. I hope that a family is not needlessly shattered into peices for an ASSUMED moment of wrecklessness. Lets not call dibs on who can have the motor and tranny from his car (WTF????) and remind him of how stupid his is. That, to me, is going too far. I understand that prime is probably full of 50 year old men that obviously like to impose their viewpoints upon others which is why i never post, but please lets have some respect and hope this man doesn't leave a baby behind just because he made one lapse in judgement. Even if not for him, for his family and friends then. I know he could've killed someone else blah, blah, blah but he didn't and I'm pulling for him to make it through so that we don't have another senseless casualty in California regardless of whose fault it is. I really hope you make it out of this...

Well said.

Wow. How sincere. That pretty much makes me want to throw up. Glad you've got the back of a 15 year old that doesn't know is a$$ from his elbow.

"hey timmy, should you do drugs?"

"no sir, drugs are bad, I'll never do drugs, or drink alcohol either for that matter"

"Hey timmy, that looks like a bad crowd hanging behind the school"

"Those kids are trouble mister! I don't talk to kids like that... stay in school and eat your vegetables!"

Good god. :rolleyes: And here we are with a grown man in a serious accident and all you guys want to do is get on a soapbox about street racing.
Good thing this is just the internet and not a REAL community.. because with friends like this............ sheesh. Get over yourselves.

Get over YOURSELF! There are things that I just don't think are right to do and street racing is one of them. The guy in the NSX is not my friend and he sure did the wrong thing and is paying for it. I am glad that he survived but most importantly he did not hit some innocent bystanders like your mother or my kids. Maybe if he did hit your mother, you would not be so cocky about condoning what the guy did. Regardless what the guy drove, my statement would have been the same. So he drove an NSX, BFD! So if some idiot pulls a wheelie on a motorcycle down the freeway and crashes, I can't think of him being stupid? A guy does some reckless driving and crashes, I have to shut my mouth just because he drives an NSX? No, I don't have to identify with anyone who drives an NSX. Afterall NSXers come all walks of life with vast differences in values and life styles. Some are even criminals as far as I know. There are many upstanding fellow NSXers who I have befriended for many years because of similar values. But there are also many reckless and immature NSXers that I don't care for. It's about time that you grow up and realize that one needs to be responsible for one's action and one does not always get a sympathizer for one's mistake.
Steve

I 100% agree with you!! One of my main beefs of Internet forums is when everyone gets that ivory tower complex of thinking they have never personally done wrong, but they jump on the pile of instant judgement without any first hand knowledge or hard and proven facts. It is convenient to do for most people since they can be faceless behind their screen name and Internet computer screen, and not have to look the guy and his crying family in the eye, but it is equally reprehensible. I would love to see some of these peoples spine suddenly quivver if they found out it was their father, their son, or their friend in there, and see how their perspective of venom changed to compassion and concern rather than hate and chastizing. So I applaud you for writing what you did, and I too agree that we should wish him recovery and wish his family strength during this tough time. So anyone that may know him, let him know that at least some of us are pulling for him to recover and be in an NSX again soon. No matter how fast he was going (and it seems like it was pretty fast), or what happened, or what lapse in judgement may have occurred, I wish him well and hope for the best. Get better, bro!!

Like hell.

All you have to have is two brain cells and an iota of conscience. Everyone knows that people can get hurt or killed in street racing, and they're often not the drivers.

I know that this will ironically get me called a callous dickhead, but frankly, if this guy was street racing, I'm relieved that it was his own neck he broke, and not someone else's. At least now I know there's one less person on the road who could T-bone my wife's car at 120mph as she turns a corner on her way to the store.

Sorry, but I have no patience or empathy for street racing gone bad.

Think about something while you are criticizing him. How many times a day do you see the classic suburban mom in her SUV yapping on the phone, yelling at the kids, not paying attention to the road or the stoplight turning from yellow to red as she blazes through the intersection blindly, or changes lanes without looking or signaling sending other cars scrambling out of her way? It is an everyday occurrence in most major cities that I have ever lived in, and if you are honest with yourself, you know you have seen it too. Heck, you or your wife may be the person that went ahead and said, 'Well...it was just yellow...it is not THAT red...I can make it,' and drove through the intersection as the last car in the line. Should that mean I wish you or your wife harm for doing something that is reckless and illegal? No way. Is it as high profile and universally hated as street racing? No. Is it a more common and deadly happening around the United States? YES!! I have a handful of friends that are State Troppers and they tell me every week about some accident where an idiot on a cell phone or person trying to beat the light T-boned someone and sent them to the hospital with serious injuries, or sometimes fatal ones. Street racing sucks, sure. It is dangerous. But so is the everyday crap of running that yellow and now red light, or yapping on the phone without looking to change lanes that happens all the time. People make bad choices. That does not mean you should wish them ill. Please think about that when you are raking this guy over the coals, or you and your wife are trying to decide if you can beat that light next time you decide to say, 'Go ahead and go honey. You can make the light'.

Think about something while you are criticizing him. How many times a day do you see the classic suburban mom in her SUV yapping on the phone, yelling at the kids, not paying attention to the road or the stoplight turning from yellow to red as she blazes through the intersection blindly, or changes lanes without looking or signaling sending other cars scrambling out of her way? It is an everyday occurrence in most major cities that I have ever lived in, and if you are honest with yourself, you know you have seen it too. Heck, you or your wife may be the person that went ahead and said, 'Well...it was just yellow...it is not THAT red...I can make it,' and drove through the intersection as the last car in the line. Should that mean I wish you or your wife harm for doing something that is reckless and illegal? No way. Is it as high profile and universally hated as street racing? No. Is it a more common and deadly happening around the United States? YES!! I have a handful of friends that are State Troppers and they tell me every week about some accident where an idiot on a cell phone or person trying to beat the light T-boned someone and sent them to the hospital with serious injuries, or sometimes fatal ones. Street racing sucks, sure. It is dangerous. But so is the everyday crap of running that yellow and now red light, or yapping on the phone without looking to change lanes that happens all the time. People make bad choices. That does not mean you should wish them ill. Please think about that when you are raking this guy over the coals, or you and your wife are trying to decide if you can beat that light next time you decide to say, 'Go ahead and go honey. You can make the light'.

Well said. There's a lot of self righteousness around the subject. Fact is, street racing has been going on since the 1920s and doesn't kill very many at all. The MEDIA makes sure we know about every single wreck tough which makes it seem like a big deal. It's not. When is the last time you heard about an alcohol related wreck? Doesn't happen, because if the media talked about each one, it would be a 24hour show devoted to it. Does it matter? Yes, it obscures your view of reality. When the media focuses on a small problem and doesn't focus on the big ones, it makes the small ones seem big.

The next time someone wants to talk a bunch of self-righteous crap about street racing, think back to the last company function you were at where you had more than 2 beers and drove home. Then delete your post.

Well said. There's a lot of self righteousness around the subject. Fact is, street racing has been going on since the 1920s and doesn't kill very many at all. The MEDIA makes sure we know about every single wreck tough which makes it seem like a big deal. It's not. When is the last time you heard about an alcohol related wreck? Doesn't happen, because if the media talked about each one, it would be a 24hour show devoted to it. Does it matter? Yes, it obscures your view of reality. When the media focuses on a small problem and doesn't focus on the big ones, it makes the small ones seem big.

The next time someone wants to talk a bunch of self-righteous crap about street racing, think back to the last company function you were at where you had more than 2 beers and drove home. Then delete your post.

+1

As a PD Adjuster in the insurance industry I handled thousands of claims. They are generally due to driver inattentive, DUI, too fast for conditions, parking lot fender bender... the list goes on and on.
In all those claims I never once had a street racing related claim come in.

Now I would never condone street racing, but it is hardly the scourge of the roadways that the media hypes it as being. Also, based on a simple scan of the news story- I would feel very comfortable saying the media outlet that reported this doesn't know thier ass from a hole in the ground. Based on their lack of fact checking on the basic details of the crash (car involved) I don't think it is a stretch to call it irresponsible news reporting to assume a street race was going on.

The self righteousness here has gotten way out of hand- there is a guy in a hospital bed right now, and he has people who love him. What if you cracked up your NSX, and later discovered that your community turned on you based on an inaccurate media report, and a bunch of self righteous assumption?

Also- for all you amature criminologists out there making assumptions of speed based on skid, and impact damage- You would be surprised how little it takes to destroy an NSX. The cars are good, but they will come apart. I handled a claim for a total loss on an NSX- Driver lost control in the wet and bounced off the dividing wall- It really doesn't take that much to kill one.

For the LEOs who will claim to be "experts on skid marks"- I hope you realize that the measurements you take mean exactly nil in court unless they are backed up by extensive expert analysis- This is why we get experts to testify instead of relying solely on your reports. It takes months to determine velocity baseed on physical evidence. Unless you are an accredited expert, have tested the materials in question, and have a full dosier of the facts of the loss- please save your "He HAD to have been going x= fast to cause that sort of damage" remarks, they are meritless.

I hope this guy recovers quickly- he could be any one of us.

This brings to mind something that nearly everyone always agrees with when I mention but nobody really thinks about and is a real eye-opener in terms of the media.

Everyone think back to a time when you were either interviewed, were a witness to something or got a mention of some kind in the media. It's happened to everyone at some point in their lives. Is it not true that virtually every time there was some inaccuracy involved--either they screw your name up, state something that outright didn't happen, omit something that did happen or just generally confuse the details?

We pass these off as isolated incidents but I do not buy that for one second. The only explanation is that the media is frightfully and horrifyingly inaccurate. This is a very difficult concept to come to terms with but I promise you everyone's personal experience with the media is almost always the same--littered with inaccuracy.

One only knows something for sure when it involves them and can state with 100% certainty it didn't happen that way which obviously isn't that often for most average joes. 99.99999% of the media we are exposed to can't be confirmed by the general reader as they weren't there or a part of it so we naturally assume it's accurate. But I wonder why it is that nearly everyone I've ever met takes issue with the reporting of an event they were a party to? :rolleyes:

Media always "makes the story" one that they think you'll like - its all infotainment - 10% info the rest entertainment - why else feature something about a local tragedy across the nation?

Now think how they have changed politics - when 'their guy" makes a mistake it dies, when the "other guy" makes a mistake its news!

I'm shocked at the condition of the car!!!
I thought these things were stronger than that.
We've all seen pics of roll-overs and other issues, but this is just nuts.
Imagine the force required to rip the thing apart like that!

No-matter what the conditions were, good luck to the driver.
Our thoughts are with you.

Being in the car biz I see lots of crap - poles do WAY more damage than anything else, slow speed into a pole is worse than WAY faster into another car - it concentrates the force - hard to know how fast he was going, but probably not as fast as some here are willing to SAY he was!

That's what I was thinking as well....any car will disintegrate like that given the correct speed..impact angle etc.. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with the structural soundness of our cars.

The Pole thing again!

I guess I didn't make my point, or perhaps I am really out of the loop. I am not thinking of a CARD. I am thinking of of supporting and helping this guy we don't know, but is a member of our community and that we have a common interest with. This guy has massive problems now. Perhaps he is married, has children, parents, etc. I don't know. Can we as a community rally around him and then display our understanding or displeasure with his experience?

Can we reach out and ask his loved ones how we can help? We have a very smally community. I would like to think if I ever found myself in that envirorment, you folks would be there for me.

Maybe I am winking in the dark.

I'm far away, all I can really do is send $$$, but I will, its not about his judgement, racing or not, deserving it or not, its too late for all that sh!t, now its about a guy and his family - I have a son, and even if he did something stupid I would still suffer if he suffered - you couldn't find a reason to get me to "write him off".

Well said - street racing is the soup of the day - but driving while tired is WAY more likely to kill people - innocent people or otherwise - more likely than street racing and alochol combined!

Why don't they talk about that on the news every night?

Everybody is guilty of driving tired - and its not exciting.

One last observation - everyone with an NSX should go to a High Performance Driving School for at least one day. I am always amazed when I'm driving with people (either in their car or beside them) how bad most people are - if you don't understand the physics and haven't experienced gettign the car up near the edge you are more likely to have a serious issues - especially in a car like the NSX which you can get up to high gs without too much effort and then discover its unforgiving at the limit - but when I think of the number of guys I know who've rolled porsches, etc. its because they KNOW what great drivers they are - even though they've never taken a HPDE.

I've also seen some of these guys on the track for their first time and it can be enlightening!:wink:

Glad you've got the back of a 15 year old that doesn't know is a$$ from his elbow.
This week, a local high school here in SF had one of those mock accidents to illustrate to the students and hopefully educate them on what happens in a bad collision. I've been to one before and remember how my classmates would giggle their asses off at the spectacle. Fake set up. Bad acting. One just couldn't take the screams of despair seriously. I wondered the same thing a few days ago as I broadcasted my mock dispatch of units over the radio.

It's true, many 15 year olds may not know much, but perhaps for this kid, witnessing such carnage for real will be enough of an eye-opening experience that he'll learn the value of prudence and be that much closer to becoming an adult.

And here we are with a grown man in a serious accident and all you guys want to do is get on a soapbox about street racing.
Yes, a 31 year old grown man, who should have known his ass from his elbow by now.

We should probably wait until we know if the crash was the result of street racing until making a judgment about the driver. However, this was not a crash that occurred at the posted speed limit, and the road conditions looked within normal limits to me. There are two assumptions that can be made here, and according to eyewitness accounts, one assumption can be that the driver was street racing. What makes this crash even more ironic is that there have been recent threads about people with NSX's street racing and not giving a crap about their life or innocent lives. Everyone thinks they are invincible until something like this happens. I take extra caution when driving my NSX because it is a very small car with not as good occupant protection compared to my daily driver. Coupled with the fact that the NSX can bite you in a$$ with snap oversteer, if you aren't confident with driving the car at the limits, it will hurt you.

I hope the driver of this wrecked NSX has a healthy recovery, and let this be a lesson that we should be a little more careful when driving on public roads no matter what kind of vehicle we are in.

I hope the injured and hurt a speedy recovery, right or wrong we will probably never KNOW, but he is still a human and deserves some compassion.

As for the rest of you who are so self righteous that you are wishing this human harm, regardless of his action, had he actually hurt someone else than MAYBE I could relate, somewhat to the point your trying to make. It makes me glad to say that I am not actually friends with any of you.

I dissagree 100%

The mid engine design has a pro of almost perfect weight distribution for neutral handling. The only con is that it sacrifices passenger/luggage space.

yes it does have a pro of almost perfect weight distribution,

disagree 1000% if you want. :biggrin:

does not change the fact that MR is much harder to drive at the limits than a FR or FF car due to that massive weight on the rear of the car. You would have to have quick reflexes and fast hands to correct a over steer situation, if you snooze you might save it in a FR or FF but not a MR.

so to recap, for the everyday driver who does not see track time or does not have extensive get the rear loose experience, MR is EVIL.

if anyone is a track rat, that's a different story; in the hands of a competent driver, all cars are putty.

The mid engine design has a pro of almost perfect weight distribution for neutral handling. The only con is that it sacrifices passenger/luggage space.

Thanks, this just gave me the laugh of the day. :D The facts show this is completely wrong. No more comment on this one.

Back