• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Featured in Latest Car and Driver

Just a heads up to everyone that the latest issue of C&D (May issue) has an article comparing a 2005 NSX to a new Boxter. They actually compare several older cars vs new ones and decide which is more desirable based on things like depreciation, fuel economy, performance, maintenance and the like. One aspect I think they got way wrong was depreciation. Their estimate is that a ~$60,000 2005 NSX will depreciate $35,000 in the next 5 years. That seems unlikely to me. Interesting read though.

Last edited:
Good read. I don't think for a second a 2005 nsx will be worth $22543 in 2019. 91 nsx prices haven't changed much in many years.

I'd take my nsx over a boxster any day.

good read, I've gotten so many new fans since the new nsx is in the media from 2 years ago so depreciation isn't a factor at all.

That's why I switched my subscription to Motor Trend...

Who are the idiots that think you'll be able to get a 2005 NSX in 5 years for $25,000??? Let alone find a 91 for that price in 5 years....

I think they got them mixed up...Porsches drop like that.....not the NSX.

What I've been noticing... could be wrong is that NSX prices on the early 91's etc. seem to be going up. At least the ones in good condition with under 100k miles on them. (Note: I haven't been following the market very close, since I'm not in the market to purchase one... but when I have done some quick searches it seems like the asking prices have been trending up the past year or two.)

There is no way I see a 2005 going that low... I would be surprised to see them dip into the $40k range. They were the last year of the 1st Generation NSX and they are very rare, not many produced that last year.

If they did, I'd be owning a 2nd NSX in a hurry. Time to purchase a lift for my garage so I can stack'm.

Actually, I have a car buddy who owns some very nice cars who has a friend looking for a nice NSX. But I told him all the people I know with them currently have no plans to sell anytime soon.

What I've been noticing... could be wrong is that NSX prices on the early 91's etc. seem to be going up. At least the ones in good condition with under 100k miles on them. (Note: I haven't been following the market very close, since I'm not in the market to purchase one... but when I have done some quick searches it seems like the asking prices have been trending up the past year or two.)

There is no way I see a 2005 going that low... I would be surprised to see them dip into the $40k range. They were the last year of the 1st Generation NSX and they are very rare, not many produced that last year.

If they did, I'd be owning a 2nd NSX in a hurry. Time to purchase a lift for my garage so I can stack'm.

Actually, I have a car buddy who owns some very nice cars who has a friend looking for a nice NSX. But I told him all the people I know with them currently have no plans to sell anytime soon.

Id say that's about right. I sold my 91 with 84k miles for 31k a few months back only to find sellers asking mid to high 30's not too long after. And they've stayed right there. C&D isn't exactly the holy grail of car mags; not anymore at least

Id say that's about right. I sold my 91 with 84k miles for 31k a few months back only to find sellers asking mid to high 30's not too long after.

A "few months back" was winter. Now it is spring. There is almost always an uptick in asking prices during the spring for sports cars.

A "few months back" was winter. Now it is spring. There is almost always an uptick in asking prices during the spring for sports cars.

When I say not too long after, I mean a week or two after sale. Nsx owners rarely rush to sell so prices rarely go much lower than asking price. I don't see prices falling anytime soon

Last edited:
I stopped reading those C&D 5yrs ago, cuz those guys there only favor in European cars like bmw, Mercedes and audi. Ironically, those European cars have the highest depreciation compared to Japanese cars, this is the fact

Their depreciation assessment was very surprising especially when the article suggests that it is becoming a collectible and they go on to say, "if you ever wanted to own one, now is the time." I think I might write a letter to the editor.

I also found it very interesting that the NSX has the lowest center of gravity of any car they tested (tied with the latest Corvette) despite the fact that it's engine sits on top of the oil pan (no dry sump lubrication). And the NSX has a lower center of gravity than the Boxster despite the fact that the flat six has more mass down low than a V-6.

Finally, I wish they had considered future maintenance costs. I have a feeling the 10 year old NSX would cost less to maintain than a new Porsche.

Last edited:
Their depreciation assessment was very surprising especially when the article suggests that it is becoming a collectible and they go on to say, "if you ever wanted to own one, now is the time." I think I might write a letter to the editor.

I also found it very interesting that the NSX has the lowest center of gravity of any car they tested (tied with the latest Corvette) despite the fact that it's engine sits on top of the oil pan (no dry sump lubrication). And the NSX has a lower center of gravity than the Boxster despite the fact that the flat six has more mass down low than a V-6.

Finally, I wish they had considered future maintenance costs. I have a feeling the 10 year old NSX would cost less to maintain than a new Porsche.

It seems they did zero actual research...I just quick read the article yesterday during a layover on way back from Hawaii . The only good thing about it was the quote something like this " there may never be another car like the NSX" , but it completely lost me when their little depreciation graph said in 5 years a 2005 will be $22,985?!?!?! Wow....just amazing how bad they look when they print something like that.....

It seems they did zero actual research...I just quick read the article yesterday during a layover on way back from Hawaii . The only good thing about it was the quote something like this " there may never be another car like the NSX" , but it completely lost me when their little depreciation graph said in 5 years a 2005 will be $22,985?!?!?! Wow....just amazing how bad they look when they print something like that.....

91 X dunno about "other" research, like depreciation/value/etc. But I can tell you they indeed performed research! :biggrin:

alum04org - Very cool. You must work there!?!? I like the scratch sheet photo especially. The NSX is not the same one in the photos however?

Couple of thoughts:

First of all I stand corrected regarding maintenance costs not being considered. I went back and found another summary page where they include these. I am not sure I would agree with their numbers but at least they did address it.

Secondly, regarding depreciation, they were obviously way off base because I can't find any 2000 NSX's for sale for less than mid $40Ks. So unless they were selling were selling for $80K 5 years ago, something doesn't add up. So whats going here?

Could it be that the whole point of the article is to prove that buying new is actually cheaper than buying used? Could there be an agenda that Car and Driver is pushing because they sell more magazines when the automotive industry is thriving, not to mention the ad revenue they receive?

Please correct me if I am off here but I believe every match up in the article shows the new car with lower cost per mile over the 5 year ownership.

No disrespect to anyone at CD but if this is true, than that's pretty weak. Car and Driver has always been the best.

91 X dunno about "other" research, like depreciation/value/etc. But I can tell you they indeed performed research! :biggrin:

That's great...but when they say a 2005 will drop to $22,900 in 5 years, they look completely foolish and out of touch... That's not doing research, that's making a fool of yourself.

Good read. I don't think for a second a 2005 nsx will be worth $22543 in 2019. 91 nsx prices haven't changed much in many years.

I'd take my nsx over a boxster any day.

x1000000

Last edited:
Maybe they thought it was a 2014 Corvette!?:stupid:

I would think the new NSX would make the old NSX more valuable not less. This is for 2 reasons: 1. It increases the publicity and attention on the original. 2. It is very different than the original. Not just better and the same but better and different.

They could not be further from reality. Take a look at this and put in any NSX by the year you want - or any other car. A friend just passed this along to me a few days ago. He told me the true car collectors use this a one of their main tools when purchasing or selling:

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools

I would think the new NSX would make the old NSX more valuable not less. This is for 2 reasons: 1. It increases the publicity and attention on the original. 2. It is very different than the original. Not just better and the same but better and different.

Just finished reading the article. A 2005 NSX vs. a base 2014 Boxster? Puuuuleez! It would appear the authors of this article believe that depreciation of the NSX is linear. So, carrying their logic further...by the year 2023, a 2005 NSX will be worth $0.

Last edited:
My co worker in a previous company that I worked for has a F360 and a 512TR.
He said that the "regular" Testarossa depreciates and the 512TR has been going up.

512TRs are definitely outpacing and will continue to outpace the TestaRossa. There are also cheap TestsaRossas that will stay at pretty rock bottom prices due to the high maintenance to run them, but in the long run they will be bought out as parts cars. Well treated TestaRossas are going to go up, starting with the flying mirror models in my opinion. Even though there was a large production run for the car, fewer and fewer good examples are available to be purchased.

From my brief research, the numbers I am seeing are:
512TRs are pretty solid in the 100k range (+/- 20k for condition)
Testarossas are pretty much in the 60k range (+/- 10k for condition)

If I were writing the Car & Driver article (image below), I would have set the 2019 price for the Testarossa at about 80k. With that said, I hope they are correct in their numbers as a Testarossa is on my list of cars that I would like to own and right now that simply isn't a feasible purchase.

vk7x.jpg

Back