• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Featured in Latest Car and Driver

Just read the article. Here it is for all to see:

I'm done with my issue. Into the recycle bin it goes or for $2 actual cost postage, it can be yours. Anyone?

Can't wait to pick up a beater DD for $22.5k in just 5 years. Sweet!!

One of their editors owns a boxster. The whole mag seems as if it should be printed in german. So biased.

That's a great photo of the NSX. I love the 981 and there's no doubt its an amazing car but a well written article would've emphasized the pro's/cons of each car rather than simply saying the NSX isn't as modern as a car made in 2013.

caranddriver2002.jpg

Joined with a few tweaks :biggrin:

the article does make a very good point about the advances in structural rigidity in the past decade...

The fact that they are comparing it to a current generation Porsche (as ridiculous as that is) tells me it's still considered a benchmark for mid-engine sports cars. Amazing.

I was thinking - before too much time passes and we lose the chance - since the wiki updates are paused, does anyone have a few of the recent magazines w/NSX's featured in an article to start the ball rolling and make some quality scans in a new thread for that purpose? Then we could scan more in that thread. I've been giving away my mags with NSX's so I've lost reach of any prior to May 2014 and my scanner is packed away during an ongoing move, regardless. Just an idea!

In 9 years, the 2005 lost roughly 1/3 of it's value (msrp) and they think it'll drop another 40% from that in 5 years??? Right... Maybe they think the new NSX will drive early first gens down.

No one even blinks at the sight of a Boxter while the NSX would still turn heads wherever it goes. NSX is still the better looking car by far!

the article makes the great point that auto makers will never be able to replicate the amazing ergonomics/driver centric position because of newer safety regs as well as shear complexity of systems.

Saw this article and thought it was a good read but a bit out of touch with the depreciation as many have said here before. The rare factor and collectors input was not taken into consideration. I can't see the price dropping that fast for the NSX, heck it did not since I purchased my 1997. We will see.

My thoughts also would be that anyone considering the two for purchase would be only true car people and I can't see the choice going to the boxster! I've driven the boxster and it is a fun car and one that in modern times is a lot for the money but when I drove it, I felt like the rest of the sheep. Not really a head turner and was sort of disconnected. A few hours around town and in some twisty roads you will connect very well with the NSX (I know not really a argument in this audience). The experience between the two is not really a fair comparison due to the modern advancements that the P Car has but also because you are comparing two different era vehicle.

I'm somewhat qualifed to comment here as I own both a 91' NSX and an 08' Boxster RS60 Spyder. Both are stock other than Eibachs and Bilsteins on the NSX.

The fact that the cars are 17 years apart from a technology standpoint accounts for a lot of the difference in driving dynamics. I enjoy driving both cars (not at the same time however) but if forced to make a call on which is my favorite to drive I would choose the Boxster. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving the NSX - as I surely do - but 17 years of technology advances makes a huge difference. Now if you asked me which car I would rather be seen in for the "wow" factor or which one people gravitate to when they're sitting side-by-side in my garage, hands-down its the NSX. I consider myself fortunate to have to choose beween the two.

DaveG

The real question is: how many of those involved with this writeup would take 60k+ new boxter over say 02 NA2 with essentially no miles? Probably not many if anybody at all. But realistically one can go and get new boxter/cayman while finding clean 02+ NSX proves to be impossible.

Thanks for posting the scans. A very interesting read, though I'll echo what others have said - the conclusions were a little unsettling, and the depreciation estimate seems out of whack. I drove a coworker's '07 Porsche this week (Cayman Non-S) and wasn't all that impressed with the 2.7 flat 6 or the handling.

Reading the article, I noticed that all the photos show the NSX being driven with the T-top being stowed away....I guess to compare it equally with the Boxster's top being down. If they did the actual driving tests like this, it's not surprising that they thought the chassis flexed too much. Still allowing for the structural improvements over 17 years, maybe if they had tested it with the T-top in place in the roof, the car would have compared a lot more favorably....on mine this firms up the chassis very noticeably.

That's why I switched my subscription to Motor Trend...

Who are the idiots that think you'll be able to get a 2005 NSX in 5 years for $25,000??? Let alone find a 91 for that price in 5 years....

I think they got them mixed up...Porsches drop like that.....not the NSX.

Just like top gear US is a joke- US car mags are a joke. Try EVO.

No one even blinks at the sight of a Boxter while the NSX would still turn heads wherever it goes. NSX is still the better looking car by far!

That's why I'll never own a Vette. You see one anytime you step outside the front door. The Bowling Green museum sinkhole said it all. Two of the cares were the 1 millionth and 1.5 millionth cars produced....at that point who cares?

I didn't care for the article.
It seemed like the writer picked the slowest 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers he could find.
And the depreciation estimate makes it seem like he did no research at all.
Not impressed. IMO, either a Porsche fan-boy or a last minute article.

Man! I can't wait for NSX's to drop to those anticipated prices ... I'll have to move
again to buy a bigger home with more garage spots or build a detached 6+ car
garage so I can buy 2 or 3 more NSX's ... LOL! I'll be waiting CAR & DRIVER!!:tongue:

Kinda stupid comparing a much older T-Top car (with top off) with a modern convertible built from the ground up. I contest the S2000 is very comparable (in terms of flex) than the current gen Boxter, still being at a much lower price bracket.

Kinda stupid comparing a much older T-Top car (with top off) with a modern convertible built from the ground up. I contest the S2000 is very comparable (in terms of flex) than the current gen Boxter, still being at a much lower price bracket.

that was going to be what I was going to say... and I can see my engine... a boxster doesn't have that option, I test drove one of the earlier ones when I was in the market 4 years ago, and the maint scared me off more than anything, so I bought an S2000, which was my 2nd one, still have the newer one and an 92 NSX I bought last year... they are both amazing cars. Today I drove the S2000 into work in the morning and went home for lunch and drove the NSX back... I am a lucky boy

I stopped reading those C&D 5yrs ago, cuz those guys there only favor in European cars like bmw, Mercedes and audi. Ironically, those European cars have the highest depreciation compared to Japanese cars, this is the fact

Are you talking about the Car and Driver magazine that has had the Accord on their 10 Best Car list for the last 28 years? In addition, on its 10 Best Car List for 2014 it does have four German cars but it also has a Corvette, Cadillac, Fiesta, and two different Mazda models. So for 2014 they favor German 40%, Japan 30% and U.S. 30%.

The low cost of maintenance and reliability of ALL components throughout the Honda/Acura are huge factors over a Porsche.

Agreed. If Car and Driver has a favorite, it's Honda. Cars from Honda have made the 10 Best list 80 times. In 2nd is Toyota, way down at 38 times on the list.

Back