• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX FIESTA: 20th Anniversary celebrations in Japan

Sorry to Ken,
Thanks to Ben,

Ben's comment is correct. Honda organizes only NSX Fiesta in Suzuka for 2 days. Other activites are option. But I recommend you to visit some place when you have chance to visit Japan. Those places are Honda collection Hall in Twin Ring Motegi, historical or traditional Kyoto and tune shops.

I added two days for touring Kyoto, because there are many place to visit in Kyoto. But I can arrange and show you one day plan. If you want to see more places in Kyoto, you can return to Kyoto after NSX Fiesta. Kyoto is not so far from Suzuka. It takes about 2 hours by train.

Regards,
Hirofumi

Greetings Hirofumi!

RSO34 asked me to reply since he is on holiday in an area with little internet access. Bob's post was prior to your updated schedule. We plan to tour Kyoto with the group as described in your new plan. However, we will arrive in Narita on the 14th and do some sightseeing on our own before meeting up with everybody on Tuesday. Sorry for the confusion.

Pooh and I (along with everybody else we talk with) are very excited about this trip. We've already purchased our plane tickets! I know I speak for many when I say that we really appreciate all you are doing to arrange this event.

Best regards,
Don

Sorry, I confused:confused:
Do I misunderstand your plan?

Do you plan that all people will arrive in Narita on 14th Nov.
and move to Kyoto on same day?
Or only few members (ex. a few people including you with your friend)
will arrive earlier than other attendees?

I showed you revised tentative plan.
But I suggest you will stay in Kyoto 19th and 20th just before Fiesta.
This is 8 days plan, is this too short for you?
If so, I can re-arrange and show you.

Do I show you plan that many of you will arrive in Narita on 14th Nov.?
9 days in Japan!

Best regards,
Hirofumi

Greetings Hirofumi!

RSO34 asked me to reply since he is on holiday in an area with little internet access. Bob's post was prior to your updated schedule. We plan to tour Kyoto with the group as described in your new plan. However, we will arrive in Narita on the 14th and do some sightseeing on our own before meeting up with everybody on Tuesday. Sorry for the confusion.

Pooh and I (along with everybody else we talk with) are very excited about this trip. We've already purchased our plane tickets! I know I speak for many when I say that we really appreciate all you are doing to arrange this event.

Best regards,
Don

Thank you, Don.

OK, I understand.
Please say "Have a nice holiday" to Bob.

See you in Tokyo, and enjoy this event with NSXers from all over the world.

Best regards,
Hirofumi

Thanks for everything, Hirofumi.

I've booked at the Grand Prince Takanawa for Nov. 16-19, 22nd via Orbitz. If we can get a room block for NSX Fiesta, I'll cancel my original reservation and reserve the room under the event room block.

Is there preferred transportation to and the from the Grand Prince Takanawa? Apologies for the multitude of questions.

Thanks for everything, Hirofumi.

I've booked at the Grand Prince Takanawa for Nov. 16-19, 22nd via Orbitz. If we can get a room block for NSX Fiesta, I'll cancel my original reservation and reserve the room under the event room block.

Is there preferred transportation to and the from the Grand Prince Takanawa? Apologies for the multitude of questions.

Thanks alot. That is a good idea.

Even if you book from hotel site individually, hotel will arrange our rooms to block by name list. I already confirmed this to hotel.

About transportation. To/from Narita airport? Bus goes to Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa and other hotels in same area. And Shinagawa station is close to your hotel, you can walk to there. If you want, you can ride on free shuttle bus. We will ride on Shinkansen from this station on Sunday for NSX Fiesta in Suzuka.

Best regards,
Hirofumi

About transportation. To/from Narita airport? Bus goes to Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa and other hotels in same area. And Shinagawa station is close to your hotel, you can walk to there. If you want, you can ride on free shuttle bus. We will ride on Shinkansen from this station on Sunday for NSX Fiesta in Suzuka.

Would you recommend that Westerners purchase a Rail Pass considering that we will be taking the Shinkansen? Would this save money and allow us to also travel back and forth from the airport by train using the same pass?

Would you recommend that Westerners purchase a Rail Pass considering that we will be taking the Shinkansen? Would this save money and allow us to also travel back and forth from the airport by train using the same pass?

Sorry, I misunderstand.

I don't know Rail pass very well, because I am a Japanese lives in Japan:biggrin:.

Have you seen this site?
I will ask to JR company. There are some JR companies in Japan.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass/index.html

As you know tentative plan, you will ride on Shinkansen from Shinagawa to Kyoto on Friday, and after Fiesta from Nagoya to Shinagawa or Tokyo. And you can ride on Narita Express between Narita and Shinagawa. I think you can save money with this pass. I will check it. Please wait.

Hirofumi

Last edited:
This is the JR Rail Pass which is suitable:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

It covers all of Japan, not just one company. Frankly, the Ordinary Pass is suitable (Mrs FrogNBoggle, who is very 5 star, finds it quite acceptable), but there are more restrictions, such as the Nozomi Shinkansen (Very fastest Bullet train) is not covered. The Rail Pass is definitely the way to travel in Japan. It's usable on all the above ground trains. It must be purchased, as a voucher, outside Japan (Don't expect to arrive in Japan and then buy it) and then exchanged for the actual Rail Pass when you are in Japan. A little calculation has to be done as to when it's best exchange the voucher to activate the pass; example; if you are in Japan for 8 days and have a 7 day pass, which 7 days do you use? (It has to be used as a continuous block; not like the Eurail, which you nominate which days). Normally, 3-4 Shinkansen trips will be it's break-even compared to buying tickets casually. Voucher exchange can be done at Narita, Kansai (Osaka) airports and the main rail stations in the main cities. Please let me know, if you have any questions.:smile:

So...

1. Is the JR Rail Pass worth buying if we are only using it to travel to the group activities for this event?

2. Are there other less expensive trains (rather than the superfast superpremium trains) that one could take to save money?

3. How much are we talking about just for train fares, under the various options?

TIA!

P.S. Thanks, Ben, for the explanation of the logistics. Makes sense!

Last edited:
So...

1. Is the JR Rail Pass worth buying if we are only using it to travel to the group activities for this event?

2. Are there other less expensive trains (rather than the superfast superpremium trains) that one could take to save money?

3. How much are we talking about just for train fares, under the various options?

TIA!

I will reply this weekend.

Hirofumi

So...

TIA!

I checked fare and pass.
You need basic fare ticket and supplemental charge ticket.
And you can ride on JR train with 15% off group rate.
I estimate fare.

Shinkansen from Shinagawa to Kyoto on Nov. 19
JPY7980+JPY4730=JPY12710
JPY6790+JPY4730=JPY11520(group rate)

Shinkansen from Nagoya to Shinagawa on Nov. 22.
JPY6090+JPY3980=JPY10070
JPY5180+JPY3980=JPY9160(group rate)

If you ride on Narita Express Train between Narita airport ant Shinagawa, fare is JPY3110 per one way(JPY6220 for round trip).

Total is
JPY12710+JPY10070+JPY6220=JPY29000
JPY11520+JPY9160+JPY6220=JPY26900(group rate)

JR Pass price is JPY28300 for adult and JPY14150 for child(age 6-11).
You need purchase an Exchange Order before you come to Japan.

Age 0-5 is FREE.

Hirofumi

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I believe the revised schedule posted by Hirofumi has us in Kyoto on Friday and Saturday.

Regards,
Don
Thanks, I see that now. And I have deleted my previous post, which didn't make any sense at all. :redface:

So everyone is arriving on Tuesday Nov 16? And Bob's previous post about arriving on Nov 14 and going to Kyoto is no longer correct?

Last edited:
What post Ken? I don't remember responding. :biggrin:

This trip is going to be fun. I'm glad you are coming.

Yes that is partialy correct Ken. The event that Hirfoumi is organizing starts on Tues the 16th. But Bob, Carla and I (and a few others) are going out early to do some sightseeing on our own.

Last edited:
Have to say I'm really looking forward to this. Picked up a tourism book on Japan, downloaded a Japanese language app on the iPhone, figured out that we'll miss the Sumo tournaments, and wondering about onsens. And now there will be 40+ US owners coming.

This trip will be epic.

Accommodation in Kyoto

I have just booked 25 twin bed rooms for you.
Of course I can cancel or arrange this.

Hotel Granvia Kyoto
http://www.granviakyoto.com/
Rate is JPY39,900 per 2 persons, per night, including breakfast.

Many people visit to Kyoto every season, especially in autumn, so it is very hard to book room. Rate in any hotels is expensive. If you want to stay with lower, I can check another hotels avairable or not.

Let me know,
Do you want to stay in smoking room?
Do you want to stay in single bed room?
How many rooms or beds do you need for your families. Is extra bed OK?

Hirofumi

Personally, I would want only a non-smoking room. In the States virtually every hotel now only has non-smoking rooms so it is not a problem here.

I had originally looked at that hotel for the prior weekend since we are coming in early but for some reason their website shows no rooms available for the dates the group will be coming in. I was curious because the prior weekend had several pricing options including a single for 25,000 yen (without breakfast) and twin rooms for 30,000y without breakfast. Just thinking about giving people various options in case they wanted to save on a hotel rate.

Last edited:
Personally, I would want only a non-smoking room. In the States virtually every hotel now only has non-smoking rooms so it is not a problem here.

I had originally looked at that hotel for the prior weekend since we are coming in early but for some reason their website shows no rooms available for the dates the group will be coming in. I was curious because the prior weekend had several pricing options including a single for 25,000 yen (without breakfast) and twin rooms for 30,000y without breakfast. Just thinking about giving people various options in case they wanted to save on a hotel rate.

Thank you for the information!
I will investigate lower rate hotels.

Save our money.

Hirofumi

Is there some type of "festival" or "major activity" going on in Kyoto that weekend? When I searched hotels generally most were showing no rooms available (including the Rhiga) but that was not a problem the prior weekend. Interestingly, when I did a search for checking in on the 18th rather than the 19th there were rooms available in the hotels through the weekend but not for those same days if checking in is on the 19th as planned.

Is there some type of "festival" or "major activity" going on in Kyoto that weekend? When I searched hotels generally most were showing no rooms available (including the Rhiga) but that was not a problem the prior weekend. Interestingly, when I did a search for checking in on the 18th rather than the 19th there were rooms available in the hotels through the weekend but not for those same days if checking in is on the 19th as planned.

Yes, Rihga's rooms are not avairable. Nov. 23 is National holiday named "Labor day" in Japan. So, many japanese people will visit and stay in Kyoto from Nov.20(sat) to 23(Tue, holiday) and room rate is higher.

Hirofumi

Thanks for the info. I forgot that your holiday was the following week.

I am used to high hotel rates based upon the traveling that I have done so I always expect certain expenses but I wanted to make sure the other Americans coming over knew what to expect. Naturally, we are subject to exchange rates which currently are "against us" with the USD getting approximately 88Y when only a couple of years ago it was getting 124Y.

The Granvia would be a great choice for the hotel and was where we were going to stay when we originally made our plans. Perhaps you might be able to see if they offered single rooms in addition to a pricing schedule without breakfast those days.

Thanks for all your hard work Hirofumi!

Thanks for the info. I forgot that your holiday was the following week.

I am used to high hotel rates based upon the traveling that I have done so I always expect certain expenses but I wanted to make sure the other Americans coming over knew what to expect. Naturally, we are subject to exchange rates which currently are "against us" with the USD getting approximately 88Y when only a couple of years ago it was getting 124Y.

The Granvia would be a great choice for the hotel and was where we were going to stay when we originally made our plans. Perhaps you might be able to see if they offered single rooms in addition to a pricing schedule without breakfast those days.

Thanks for all your hard work Hirofumi!

Yes, exchange rate is big problem for you.
OK, I will confirm the rate without breakfast next Monday. The Granvia has no single room. There are some hotels around Kyoto station, so I will check another hotel near Granvia Kyoto.

On 19th, after arriving in Kyoto station by Shinkansen, we change to local train for Sagano, Arashiyama. And return to Kyoto station and check in Granvia. Many sightseeing buses start from Kyoto station.

New Miyako Hotel is close to Kyoto station, so you can get there by 5 min. walk.
http://www.miyakohotels.ne.jp/newmiyako/english/index.html

Westin Miyako Kyoto is located east side of Kyoto city.
Room is available. JPY35,000/2 persons, night, not included breakfast.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1427&language=en_US

Are you interested in "Machiya"?
Machiya means restored townhouse.
http://www.kyoto-machiya.com/eng/

Hirofumi

Last edited:
Hello all...

I've been to Japan many times and am not interested in doing the multi-day tourist thing. Been to all the shrines I ever need to see on multiple occasions.

Could someone just post the Fiesta event schedule?

Thanks,

We may have members with different "tolerances" for hotel rates. How difficult would it be to provide for multiple hotel choices and still keep the group together? For example, some of us would love to try a Machiya while others may like the Westin because we could book rooms with our Starwood Points and stay for free. I see that the Westin has some favorable room rates but only for smoking rooms but perhaps that could be looked into.

I realize it would be best to keep the group together but some people may like to try a more traditional Japanese experience and be able to afford to do so while some may want/need to travel on a budget.

As an aside, I need to point out that although I have been "taking the lead" asking these questions I cannot say I speak for everyone because I am fortunate to be able to afford a higher room rate than many so that is why I wondering if there could be more than one option and yet still be able to travel fairly easily as a group.

Back