• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX fun in Bangkok

Last month I spent about 3 weeks in Bangkok Thailand. It was a great trip. I had my birthday dinner at this awesome restaurant called Sirocco. Just me and the girlfriend -- the view was unbelievable.

I was in Bangkok earlier this year and when I came back I found out there was a Prime member that lived in BKK, pzull. I PM'd pzull to let him know I was coming back in October and so we made some plans to meet up.

So me, some other friends, and Prime member Up2Yu made the trip and our busy travel schedule allowed us to meet up with pzull twice. The first night, we had a great dinner and drinks at the new, huge Tawandang II. They build some big restarants in Bangkok. The first Tawandang seats about 1500 and this new one is at least twice as big so it seats at least 3000. Dinner there is always a good time, the have fantastic music and entertainment while serving great food and their own microbrews. Then we stopped by his new favorite little bar Mai Ake for a few more drinks.

pzull wanted to bring his car by the hotel on Saturday morning and give us a ride because traffic is lighter. He had a custom exhaust made for his car and he wanted to let us listen to it. I brought along my video camera to film the rare opportunity to ride through the streets of Bangkok. It was loads of fun.

Cars in Thailand are extremely expensive, about twice what you would pay here for luxury and sports cars. While I was there, I saw plenty of sports cars including a Ford GT parked in front of Siam Square. There is no shortage of exotics. Last trip I often spotted a white NSX at a popular clubbing area known as RCA.

The video is 20 MB is worth watching just for the novelty factor. There is some good audio of pzull's one of a kind exhaust, too. Excuse my poor camera skills and rookie video editing.

Streets of Bangkok Video (20 MB)

pzull was an excellent host! It was great meeting you and I'll see you there next time I'm in town (maybe New Years).

Last edited:
Welcome back Malibu!

It must be nice to be able to take a 3 week vacation.
I’m jealous! It is hard for me to get away for even one week from my job.
I was gone on my honeymoon 2 years ago and folks from work were still trying to reach me on my cell phone. :mad:
It is great that the NSX community is so tight that it crosses borders! :biggrin:

Peace,

Nate in DC

This pretty much sums up Bangkok for me : I went there in 1998. My buddy, who married a Thai, took me to this place called Patpong ( the "dancing girls section" ). We got separated in our drunkeness. I leave the bar at 3:00 A.M. It's 90 degress, raining. I go to the street ( Patpong doesn't have car traffic ). There's bright lights, blaring music, car horns, food stalls, people yelling, and in the middle of it all, this guy is driving an elephent down the street, weaving between the cars.

Fastrunner said:
Thanks for the info....We'll be vacationing in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand on November 17th though Dec 9. We’ll definitely check out these 2 places. :cool:

There is no shortage of great restaurants and nightlife there so PM me if you need any suggestions or tips on traveling there. I've been to BKK several times and explored it as much as I could each time but I feel I've still only scratched the surface.

D'Ecosse said:
Very interesting - bet you always wanted to tell a taxi driver "follow that car!"

Thanks for pointing out the broken link. Yeah, trying to tell the cab driver to follow the car really tested my Thai skills. Funny thing was that the driver knew the car was a Honda. The cab ride cost $1 and I tipped him $1.50 for being a good sport. That made his day. :biggrin:

looked like a blast :smile:
nice job on the video, m.r.

For anyone visiting Bangkok, my opinion of an ideal day would be to visit the Temple of the Emerald Budda, then take the quick walk down to the river and hop on a passenger boat traveling downstream. Get off at the stop of your choice and go find some good Pad Thai and wash it down w/ a Singha. If it's a weekend, go to the weekend market ( probably the world's largest swapmeet ). Any energy left-go to Patpong and party w/ the drunk Europeans while watching a possible transexual give a pole dance. :tongue:

I've spend several years at Kuala Lumpur and Singapore as well. Owning an NSX there is like double the celebrity feeling here. Pretty much have to fight off the ladies. :wink:

Mike-san said:
For anyone visiting Bangkok, my opinion of an ideal day would be to visit the Temple of the Emerald Budda, then take the quick walk down to the river and hop on a passenger boat traveling downstream. Get off at the stop of your choice and go find some good Pad Thai and wash it down w/ a Singha. If it's a weekend, go to the weekend market ( probably the world's largest swapmeet ). Any energy left-go to Patpong and party w/ the drunk Europeans while watching a possible transexual give a pole dance. :tongue:

What about the massage with a happy ending? :wink:

My must do list for tourists:

• Chatuchak weekend market like Mike-San mentions (take subway to Chatuchak or the skytrain to Mo Chit station)
  • Floating market (it's a ride outside the city)
  • Patpong (subway to Silom exit)
  • MBK Shopping center (Siam exit from skytrain)
  • Siam Paragon (when it opens in December, this will surpass MBK as the place to shop)
  • Siam Square (good place to girl watch, same exit as MBK)
  • All the temples along Chaophrya river
  • Tawandang I or II Restaurant, especially on Fridays or Saturdays
  • Drinks or dinner at Sirocco or the Dome (very pricey)
  • Suan Lum night bazaar (Lumphini exit from subway -- They have a great beer garden/food court and shopping)
  • Leelawadee restaurant near Pracha Uchit (it's pretty there)
  • There are tons of great restaurants along Ram Inthra tollway and on Kaset (Yes Indeed, Immortal, Gotcha)
  • Coliseum restaurant at Sukhumvit (similar but not as good as Tawandang)
  • Clothes shopping at the garment district called Pratunam. Walk across the street and check out computer shopping at Panthip.
For the clubber

• RCA area (Slim/Flix and Route 66 are the hottest clubs, girlwatching outside is unreal, so many people come to this area)
  • Thonglor area (Booze on Soi 10 is a good one)
  • Carribean (higher class gogo/coyote club, beautiful dancers)
  • Pump Up (club with a sweet carwash show on Fridays and Saturdays, good live bands)
  • The Resort (another gogo in Huay Kwang on Ratchadaphisek)
  • Locals clubbing areas are Soi 4 on Ratchada, Aw Tah Gaw near Chatuchak, some clubs at Khaosarn Rd. Tons of clubs in these areas but it's mostly locals.
  • For tourist clubs go to Sukhumvit area, Soi 11. You will find Bed Supperclub and Qbar.
The BTS or Skytrain has a great map which shows the where public transportation systems can take you. You will save a lot of time if you take the skytrain and subway. If you stay over 3 weeks you might want to get an unlimited month pass.

Golfing there is awesome, too. They have great driving ranges inside of Bangkok.

Malibu Rapper said:
My must do list for tourists:

• Chatuchak weekend market like Mike-San mentions (take subway to Chatuchak or the skytrain to Mo Chit station)
  • Floating market (it's a ride outside the city)
  • Patpong (subway to Silom exit)
  • MBK Shopping center (Siam exit from skytrain)
  • Siam Paragon (when it opens in December, this will surpass MBK as the place to shop)
  • Siam Square (good place to girl watch, same exit as MBK)
  • All the temples along Chaophrya river
  • Tawandang I or II Restaurant, especially on Fridays or Saturdays
  • Drinks or dinner at Sirocco or the Dome (very pricey)
  • Suan Lum night bazaar (Lumphini exit from subway -- They have a great beer garden/food court and shopping)
  • Leelawadee restaurant near Pracha Uchit (it's pretty there)
  • There are tons of great restaurants along Ram Inthra tollway and on Kaset (Yes Indeed, Immortal, Gotcha)
  • Coliseum restaurant at Sukhumvit (similar but not as good as Tawandang)
  • Clothes shopping at the garment district called Pratunam. Walk across the street and check out computer shopping at Panthip.
For the clubber

• RCA area (Slim/Flix and Route 66 are the hottest clubs, girlwatching outside is unreal, so many people come to this area)
  • Thonglor area (Booze on Soi 10 is a good one)
  • Carribean (higher class gogo/coyote club, beautiful dancers)
  • Pump Up (club with a sweet carwash show on Fridays and Saturdays, good live bands)
  • The Resort (another gogo in Huay Kwang on Ratchadaphisek)
  • Locals clubbing areas are Soi 4 on Ratchada, Aw Tah Gaw near Chatuchak, some clubs at Khaosarn Rd. Tons of clubs in these areas but it's mostly locals.
  • For tourist clubs go to Sukhumvit area, Soi 11. You will find Bed Supperclub and Qbar.
The BTS or Skytrain has a great map which shows the where public transportation systems can take you. You will save a lot of time if you take the skytrain and subway. If you stay over 3 weeks you might want to get an unlimited month pass.

Golfing there is awesome, too. They have great driving ranges inside of Bangkok.

Don't forget the Muay Thai fights at Lumpini Stadium

is it just me, or did his exhaust sound like a 360 modena? seems to be a high pitched exhaust note.

Mike-san said:
Don't forget the Muay Thai fights at Lumpini Stadium

Any list of things to do in BKK will be incomplete because there's so much to do. :)

WealthBuildR said:
is it just me, or did his exhaust sound like a 360 modena? seems to be a high pitched exhaust note.

I'll let pzull address that after he views the video and gets back from Chiang Mai. But yes, the exhaust is higher pitched but not as high as some I've heard. The idle is completely quiet, I drove in a stock car the other day and I think his car is quieter than stock at idle. Once he gets on the gas, it screams. Cats are not required in BKK. The exhaust is in CAD now so he could theoretically mass produce these.

I like that higher pitch sound.. F1 like..
So is this exhaust similar to a Gruppe M configuration?

In Ca. I wouldnt want to run without cats tho..

Hi

Great film. Loved to see how good the NSX looked compared to anything.

Great choice of music too.

Regards

Malibu Rapper said:
:wink: I just noticed your location... I agree!

Hi

:biggrin:

I am curious how "you people" would pronounce it though since Røyksopp is very norwegian sounding name.

The word for word translation is "Smokemushroom" not sure if you have anything like that, but it is a mushroom that you kick and it comes smoke out of.

Regards

Back