• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Garage Preference

I rent a space in a garage - not heated - but above freezing.
I have 24hr access, 3 mi away, and so far I have been able to work on the car in the off season.
Garage says no working on cars, but I keep it on the sly.
$750 for 6 months - I guess part of the "deal".
In the warm months it comes home and my DDs sit outside.
My NSX is always inside.

Someone mentioned 1st world problems and you are correct. I want to build a new garage on our property so badly but my wife keeps killing the project. One reason is that if I had my way the garage would be way bigger than the house, it would sort of look odd I am told. The other problem is that if I build my dream garage there goes the coin for more cars! Dilemma! I want at least three more grail cars but if I park more cars in my driveway it will be musical cars to get them out when I want to change it up and the house will double as a used car lot look alike. I just need a very wealth friend that wants to lease out a few bays in his 30 car garage.

Someone mentioned 1st world problems and you are correct. I want to build a new garage on our property so badly but my wife keeps killing the project. One reason is that if I had my way the garage would be way bigger than the house, it would sort of look odd I am told. The other problem is that if I build my dream garage there goes the coin for more cars! Dilemma! I want at least three more grail cars but if I park more cars in my driveway it will be musical cars to get them out when I want to change it up and the house will double as a used car lot look alike. I just need a very wealth friend that wants to lease out a few bays in his 30 car garage.

Definitely 1st world problems--we should be so grateful. When I moved to my existing house years ago, I had a plan for an additional 2 car garage (actually enough to hold 3 sports cars) that was going to be hidden from the nearby road, with a green roof and everything. I needed a variance so there was a town meeting and all these old people with pitchforks came out of nowhere against and it and it was shot down. Afterwards, I heard some of the same people who were vocally opposed looking at the drawings and mumbling to each other on how it was "kind of neat."

I'm looking into a lift of some kind so I can keep the NSX on site. I'm at the number-crunching stage right now. I pay about $600 a year to store the NSX off site for 4-5 mos, so it would take 3-5 years of storage to offset the cost of a lift, depending on install costs.
When you consider the maintenance you are able to do and the easy cleaning/detailing...the lift becomes more attractive. Also, my 4-pole comes with casters so I can move it around (with a car on it) to reconfigure the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely 1st world problems--we should be so grateful. When I moved to my existing house years ago, I had a plan for an additional 2 car garage (actually enough to hold 3 sports cars) that was going to be hidden from the nearby road, with a green roof and everything. I needed a variance so there was a town meeting and all these old people with pitchforks came out of nowhere against and it and it was shot down. Afterwards, I heard some of the same people who were vocally opposed looking at the drawings and mumbling to each other on how it was "kind of neat."

I had the same issues in a historic district...
Garage (from patio).jpg

A few years ago a purchased a new house with the intent of building a decent size garage. The first thing I did was speak to my then new neighbors to see if they had any reservations. They were all appreciative that I asked for their approval and I think it made them feel a part of the project. They would frequently stop by and check out progress during construction and still say to me how well it fits in the neighborhood and is hardly noticeable. Perhaps you could go talk to your neighbors, show them your plans, and give it another go on the variance.

I've done the 4 post storage lift route in a 2 car garage and it was a nuisance, even before I had kids. I still use it in the original 2 car attached garage that came with my house. However, I now have kids and it's even more of a nuisance because not only do I have to play musical cars, I have to move bikes, scooters, wagons, and all kinds of junk, in-order to get a car down. Suffice to say the car on the lift generally stays up there for while.

Garage Addition > 2 car garage with lift > leaving a car outside > only having two cars :smile:

The stuff that comes with children is astounding......our garage is filled with it....and its a big space.

I can imagine your kid cruizin the hood on this bike. :biggrin:

$_35.JPG

A few years ago a purchased a new house with the intent of building a decent size garage. The first thing I did was speak to my then new neighbors to see if they had any reservations. They were all appreciative that I asked for their approval and I think it made them feel a part of the project. They would frequently stop by and check out progress during construction and still say to me how well it fits in the neighborhood and is hardly noticeable. Perhaps you could go talk to your neighbors, show them your plans, and give it another go on the variance.

I've done the 4 post storage lift route in a 2 car garage and it was a nuisance, even before I had kids. I still use it in the original 2 car attached garage that came with my house. However, I now have kids and it's even more of a nuisance because not only do I have to play musical cars, I have to move bikes, scooters, wagons, and all kinds of junk, in-order to get a car down. Suffice to say the car on the lift generally stays up there for while.

Garage Addition > 2 car garage with lift > leaving a car outside > only having two cars :smile:

You are completely right. I should have schmoozed with the neighbors. I was a first time home owner at the time and didn't know about that kind of stuff. However, lots of people came out of the woodwork and shot the project down and then the board/council voted against it unanimously. At this point, I think it is highly unlikely they will relent and I consequently lost enthusiasm for the project. Definitely considering the lift right now though...

I can imagine your kid cruizin the hood on this bike. :biggrin:

$_35.JPG

with my fragile ego there can only be one....:redface:

You are completely right. I should have schmoozed with the neighbors. I was a first time home owner at the time and didn't know about that kind of stuff. However, lots of people came out of the woodwork and shot the project down and then the board/council voted against it unanimously. At this point, I think it is highly unlikely they will relent and I consequently lost enthusiasm for the project. Definitely considering the lift right now though...
My wife got on the historic society board (as we just moved into the historic district)...just before we proposed the garage.

In my 2 car garage my wife and pull in. I park the NSX on the right side of the garage so my wife parks on the left side. When my wife gets out and opens the her door it's up against the wall and not the NSX.

I have a 3 bay garage. 1 bay is dedicated to my three boxers with a full cage and outdoor access. The rest, is all for the nsx. The 2011 mdx and the bmw 5 series brave the weather outdoors. My paint is also seriously disheveled and needs a respray. But still, it sleeps under wraps. The nsx makes my unfinished garage look awesome. Someday I will finish the drywall and paint it. I still do not understand why homes from the 90's left garages unfinished...

This comes down to two things IMHO, living in the NE and your OCD level.

I live in the NE and I hate clearing snow off cars and my wife hates getting into a 10 degree car. For this reason I prefer all cars to be kept inside during the winter no matter if they are collector cars or daily drivers. If I lived in a warmer climate I might be ok with having one or both of the daily's outside. As long as you are in a safe area keeping expensive daily's outside seams reasonable.

Now my OCD level would not allow me to keep any collector type car outside no matter what climate I am in. Keeping these type of cars climate controlled is part of the hobby for me. I wouldn't even want my cars subjected to a non-heated external garage during sub zero temps as seals don't like that.

So to answer your questions, I would not buy another car unless I could store it "properly". I am currently at max capacity and thus will not be buying any more cars until I figure something out. On a side note, I did recently get a 4 post and I am not sure why I didn't buy one 10 years ago as it rocks!

for those lucky enough to be still searching for a home or building, my garage is 22 ft wide(front to back) and if I were to do it over again I would make that at least 27 ft. 22 ft is a little narrow for wall storage and work space with cars in place.

If you are looking at a house that has less garage than you want. Instead of paying down the loan, put the minimum $s down and pay PMI (private mortgage insurance). Then take the $s you saved from the down payment and build the biggest garage you can fit/afford. Then at the 12 month anniversary, have the property reappraised and the garage added to value and the equity should be enough to eliminate the PMI.

the dilemma of having the cars on the lift and not taking down for being a little inconvenient seems like a small price to pay to have it right under your nose when you want it....not sure if more like me but usually use the nsx only on nice days and moving cars around on nice weather days doesn't seem like a hassle to me... keeping the conv and nsx up in the winter and two of the remaining four daily drivers inside is a luxury I would not trade for anything here in the northeast...when building the garage the double wide was always in cards..we also automated our driveway and made it heated !!! no more shoveling

I reached the same conclusion as docnsx01 and put in a 4 post lift. It was either that or rent a storage place 5 minutes from my house. 3 years of storage fees covers the cost of the lift.

I hate my garage! I am always shuttling vehicles as my garage cannot fit a lift. I hate my garage! I have a heated condo parking space that is a 25 min walk away, and either the S2000 or my wife's sport utility is stored there. Not enough garage space for more than two cars. I hate my garage! The NSX has a dedicated spot. My truck is outside 365 days a year, as it barely fits in the garage. I hate my garage! Working on cars forces me to vacate one car for space. I hate my garage!
I am now looking to buy a garage condo to help with the storage of cars and this will also allow me to buy another classic.
Did I mention I hate my garage??

Wife won't move.

No place on your property to add garage space? What about an underground space. I'm in the process of adding more garage spots myself. I want at least 6 bays on top of the two that we have now. I don't want anything of value sitting outside. We got hammered by hail a year ago.

My NSX stay's in the garage all year round on the trickel charger. Have been looking to redo the garage and add a lift so I can store my DD in there too. But would have to convert the way the garage door open's and a modify hugh shelf to make it work.
My wife's DD which is 3x as expensive as the nsx is outside all year round. But she knows that the garage is mine and she gives me the freedom to do or keep whatever i want in there.

Back