• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX or Ferrari?

As some of you now, I lost my NSX to a 3rd alarm garage fire a few weeks back. You would have thought I lost my family to some horrific accident, ( at least thats what friends told me) I am back looking for a new car. What is troubling me is that I am leaning towards the ferrari, even though the NSX is the better car for "daily" driving. I am looking at the 348 spyder and 512 TR (testarossa), these would be low mileage, late 80's early 90's cars, all services done, etc. Dollar wise it would be in the 98-2002 nsx price range. Performance as I see it is :
ferrari 348, NSX, Testarossa, (not exactly fair with 6 extra cylinders)
Style, NSX, 348, testarossa
drivability vs dollar: testarossa, 348, nsx
bang for the dollar, nsx
So, does anyone have an opinion? Has anyone had experiences (good or bad) with any of these cars,

Please help summer is almost here and I don't want to miss it.
Dave
93 Blk/blk (burnt)

I guessed it's really depend on what you could find. Unless you are into top speed type of thing, (but again, you are going to drive at Oval at their top speed??) nsx won the said vehicle Hands down... ok, nsx is not a Ferrari, I'm not getting into any debate here.

Lets look at other stuff: Seems like you are buying these cars for weekend cars, so I just slashed off the biggest nsx advantage too...

1. Biggest problem about 348 and Testarossa, parts availability is very limited. There's some parts on the 348 is non existence, you have to go out and found used, by luck. Ferrari changed that and the F355 and 360 is much better on Maintanence.

2. Ergonomics, nsx still outdated, but the 348 and testarossa is another generation older.

3. If you decided putting more mileage on the nsx, it'll do it with no complaints nor hurting its re-sale value drastically, Ferrari... ummm, again, read costly maintainence...

Bottom line: Unless those F-cars were your dream car and you always wanted one, (or you are collector), I don't see there's any reason not to get a F355 or a nsx.

It isn't so much as the ferrari is my dream car, but I am thinking that I would like to taste other exotics. I've had an NSX and loved it, the only complaint I had with my nsx was those rear hatch struts. I just don't want to make the leap and regret it i.e. not be able to afford repairs, lose resale because of higher milage, etc. If it weren't about money, I would buy a ferrari hands down, but I need to be realistic as I don't have an open ended bank account. You brought up a great point though, if parts are difficult to find, that makes not choosing that model easier, I am not a collector, so having a broken car, awaiting parts is not an option. Once again the NSX reliability. I could beat my NSX and as long as I apologized she would let me do it agin the follow weekend, no complaints. Now if the ferrari is like an italian woman, that would only happen once, and then it will cost me the rest of my life.....
dave

I doubt that a 348 is a performance match and have no idea how the Testarossa measures (there were a few different hp versions)
A 355 is sounding very tempting to me but I keep thinking of the one member here who had one and the couldn't stand the finicky temperament.
If you are ready to go and the car is not, or breaks while out, it takes the fun out of ownership.

pbassjo said:
I doubt that a 348 is a performance match and have no idea how the Testarossa measures (there were a few different hp versions)
A 355 is sounding very tempting to me but I keep thinking of the one member here who had one and the couldn't stand the finicky temperament.
If you are ready to go and the car is not, or breaks while out, it takes the fun out of ownership.

Hi neighbor, My insurance guy told me about the 2005 NSX with 400 miles hit by the truck you have down there. My burnt car is at Minervini's Autobody in Kingston..

I was looking at the 355, but it might be just beyond reach for my budget, I have seen a few, but the "cheaper" ones scare me, why so out of there price range

dkny-nsx said:
bang for the dollar, nsx
So, does anyone have an opinion? Has anyone had experiences (good or bad) with any of these cars,

Dave
93 Blk/blk (burnt)

NSX all the way.

The 348 is an ugly hiccup in the Ferrari line and I believe the NSX beat it in most of the performance tests.
The RedHead is a beautiful Ferrari but if anything goes on the 12 cyl its a fortune. I would buy a Testarossa as a third car but not as a second car that would be driven quite often.
I did the belts and full service on my 308 and my NSX. The NSX cost about 1/2 of what the 308 cost and the 308 is the cheapest F car to maintain.

-j-

Last edited:
Hi I've owned a 308,328,Testarossa, and a 355 they are great cars to look at but even if you find the perfect Ferrari they are incredibly expensive to own and maintain parts prices are very expensive with the TR probably being the most costly out of the cars you are looking at so unless you have alot of $ for planned and unplanned maintinence and are going to buy it just as a toy I'd recommend that you do your home work before you jump into the Ferrari pool go to Ferrarichat.com and use the search to get info that you will need to to see if these cars are something you want to jump into I sold my 96 Porsche Twin Turbo and bought a 98 fly yellow 355, car looked better than it performed so I sold it and bought another 96 Porsche TT I'm in the process of rebuilding the car now with bigger turbos, euro RS cams, ECU, new pss9 suspension, clutch etc. we still have our 91 NSX also and I don't see us selling that they are wonderful cars Good Luck in your search Doug

The maintenance costs on F-cars are probably among the highest of any cars made.

Have you browsed on the F-car forums? You might expect to fork out $5000 - $15000 per year on maintenance.

dkny-nsx said:
It isn't so much as the ferrari is my dream car, but I am thinking that I would like to taste other exotics. I've had an NSX and loved it, the only complaint I had with my nsx was those rear hatch struts. I just don't want to make the leap and regret it i.e. not be able to afford repairs, lose resale because of higher milage, etc. If it weren't about money, I would buy a ferrari hands down, but I need to be realistic as I don't have an open ended bank account. You brought up a great point though, if parts are difficult to find, that makes not choosing that model easier, I am not a collector, so having a broken car, awaiting parts is not an option. Once again the NSX reliability. I could beat my NSX and as long as I apologized she would let me do it agin the follow weekend, no complaints. Now if the ferrari is like an italian woman, that would only happen once, and then it will cost me the rest of my life.....
dave
complaint I had with my nsx was those rear hatch struts.
i think that comment says it all. if the struts irritated you then you are going to a whole new level of irritability with a two decade old ferrari.

I bought the NSX because of its looks and exclusivity. Easy maintenance and drivability is a bonus.

If you ask me I would go for Testarossa and then 348. People would be scared to even touch it because of the badge.

I wonder when I could afford one.

Don't get the 348! Get a 328 before you get a 348. Seriously, the 348 is a flawed Ferrari. It's a black-sheep in the Ferrari family.

The 512TR is a fast car, but, to put it in perspective, it's got a slower 0-60 time than my '05 Mercedes (4.8s vs. 4.7s). The handling of the TR is not on par with the NSX, but it is quite an experience to drive one.

I love Ferraris, but if I were to limit my choices below a certain price point it would be 328 and 512TR, and not the 348. My Dad is on his second Ferrari now, an '03 575m, and I'm loving it when I go home to visit.

I'd say go for the Ferrari, especially if it's just a weekend car. You only live once and you've already had an NSX. I don't care what anyone says. Ferraris ARE special. They are built a certain way, and you can feel it when you drive it. It's not something you can really put your finger on. It's just a sensation. When you see that horse on the steering wheel, you can bet it's going to be a special experience.

Now, if you want to track your car, get the NSX because it's a better track car than any of the Ferraris mentioned here (and pretty much all F-Cars besides F40/F50/Enzo/F430 ... pretty close with the 355/360).

If you are looking to get a taste of some other cars especially Ferrari. My advice is to do the research and buy one that has the maintenace done and is selling at the right price. If you sell it a year later you can probably get back close to what you paid for it. If you see a car at one of the dealers in the area let me know and I can ask some of my buddies who to talk to at the dealer to get the best price. Wide World of Cars , Classic Coach , Steve Miller , Ferrari of central NJ.

both the 348 and TR are crap by todays standards. The TR is entertaining, but the 348 is just BAD.

355 is a great car. On par w/ an NSX in terms of perf...but the entire engine has to be dropped to adjust valves. So a 15k svs will run $8k.

Now if you are SMART. You will be shopping the arly 360s. They are actually the closest thing to a daily driver ferrari has ever made. Servicing is far cheaper...$1500 for the same $8k on the 355.

I expect w/ the 430 out, you'll see prices hovering qaround $110-120k.

Ferraris are great cars. If you want the performance and exclusivisity and luxury without breaking you bank....buy a 996TT.

keep psm off and enjoy trouble free (mostly) motoring.

The 348 i'd stay away from. It has poor visibility and feels very cheap in quality and fit. The car rattles and have numberous problems.

You should consider the F355 just for the sound the engine makes :biggrin: The 911T or GT3 should also be considered :wink:

While the price point of a 512TR is close to that of a 348, from what I understand, the maintenance is far beyond. If you are considering a 512TR, as others have said, you should consider the F355. The entry price is higher, but I think you will be rewarded with better performance and lower total cost of ownership.

I would skip the 348.. Personally, if I was getting a Ferrari I wouldn't get one that is looked down on. Half the fun of the car is the badge, and the crazy people that just hollar at you as you drive around.

One of my good friends has a red F355, and the NSX, while great fun, is not in the same league by any stretch. In so far as street performance the NSX is very comparable in turning, trails in straight line and high speed, and the NSX brakes are horrid in comparison. For the track; I don't know.

But, the ownership experience is surreal. Ferrari; say no more.

However, the F355's reliability is certainly not that of the NSX, and it is far more expensive to run. This particular car(a 95 I believe), has been off the road several times for various issues, and the scheduled maintenance is certainly expensive. Does that mean you shouldn't get it? That is up to you.. Personally, after seeing my friends experience, I don't think I would get one unless I could honestly afford 10% of the purchase price, per year, in maintenance.. Is it that expensive? NO!, but having to worry about it would bother me....

However, if I could honestly afford the F355 over an NSX; I'd probably do it.

My opinion for you, forget the 512TR and 348.. 512TR too expensive, 348 is "uncool". If you can deal with car downtime and some bills, get the F355. Otherwise, get another NSX.

-Jer

Last edited:
Not sure where you are getting your info that a 348 beats an 3.2L NSX; indeed the 3.0L NSX was about par with the 348 when it came out (but magazines prefered the NSX over and over). The 3.2L should be a ways ahead of the 348.

I was looking at 348s before I got my NSX. I loved both. I loved the style of both. Both were about the same price (a late 348 Speciale vs 2002 NSX). The 348 was to me a compromise over the F355 that I really wanted, but didnt want to shell out for. The NSX, while it offered all of the things I liked about the 348 (the style, being unique, an adequate level of performance), it was absent some of the things I was not looking forward to with the Fcar (periodic puking when maintenance is due, instant and violent vomiting when something goes wrong with the car). I also wanted a daily driver that would not dissapoint from a reliability perspective.

For me, it was alllll NSX. Better performance. Newer. Similar style. But as reliable as an Accord. Similar price. It was a no brainer. F355? Could be a different story, but I would not enjoy the ridicule that owning an Fcar would bring.

The fact that you even mentioned money and budget answers your own question. A friend has a 512.....he drives it and it breaks.....it sits waiting for parts and/or the money to pay for the repairs. Repeat this cycle almost everytime you take it out of the garage.

I will own an F-car someday but not until I can Really afford it.

KSNSX said:
The fact that you even mentioned money and budget answers your own question. A friend has a 512.....he drives it and it breaks.....it sits waiting for parts and/or the money to pay for the repairs. Repeat this cycle almost everytime you take it out of the garage.

I will own an F-car someday but not until I can Really afford it.

Agreed....

The more I search, I have to agree, the 348 is out. And budget being a concern, maybe I need to wait a few more years. At this point I am still trying to educate myself. One of the post said, nothing like seeing that pony on the steering wheel, I couldn't agree more!!

dkny-nsx said:
One of the post said, nothing like seeing that pony on the steering wheel, I couldn't agree more!!

If thats all you want, buy a mustang :)

dkny-nsx said:
As some of you now, I lost my NSX to a 3rd alarm garage fire a few weeks back. You would have thought I lost my family to some horrific accident, ( at least thats what friends told me) I am back looking for a new car. What is troubling me is that I am leaning towards the ferrari, even though the NSX is the better car for "daily" driving. I am looking at the 348 spyder and 512 TR (testarossa), these would be low mileage, late 80's early 90's cars, all services done, etc. Dollar wise it would be in the 98-2002 nsx price range. Performance as I see it is :
bang for the dollar, nsx

Dave
93 Blk/blk (burnt)

If you want first hand experience with the Ferrari 348, just ask me. I had to live with one of those for about 6-7 months and it was the biggest pain in the a$$ I have ever had to mess with. It left me stranded, at night, on the highway, TWICE IN ONE WEEK!! The power windows did not work, the alternator went out TWICE, and there were other glitches. Oh yeah, and this was on a '90 348ts with only about 6,700 miles. :mad:

Looked at F355 closely the other day at the detailers and i was studying it carefully other than the engine and the sound I couldnt see anything that excited me. I was telling them I want one before I get married and they were like my NSX is better dont bother. The interior is so plain I dont know y they complain bout the NSX interior being dated cos the f355 would be guilty as well. So I could only imagine the 348 would be a step back.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I know where you can rent a f360 or a gallardo or a 996 or a Bently GT

www.gothamdreamcars.com Tell em Bailey sent ya.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to rent a 348 or a testarossa, and see how you like it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strongly opposed to these two recommendations, let me put it this way, if you have a chance dating a drop dead gorgeous model or celebrity for a day or two. Unless something real dramatic happened (unlikely), you will have a very incorrect thought of her(or him :tongue:). It might also help you making a very wrongful decision, that, you will regret for life.

Bad metaphor, but hope you get my drift....

Back