• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX owner now...what it will take for me to buy the 'New NSX'.

I may be in the minority, but I like the original because of it's ties to F1 and Honda's championship years. Yeah I am probably living in the past, but I am an old school F1 fan. :redface:

As for the new NSX, if Honda got back into F1 and WON a championship and maybe a LeMans title here and there, then I'll seriously consider buying one.

2 cents....

It's disheartening that the new NSX won't have a 6MT option. I thought it was a possibility but the article suggests otherwise. I would happily sacrifice a couple tenths of a seconds to 60MPH for 3 pedals. As mentioned by others, that's the deal breaker--at least until there are no more MT manufactured at all.

I'm not assuming anything claimed about the new NSX - the price, the technology, the features, or even whether it will actually be sold - will turn out to be accurate, until it actually hits the market. Some of it is mere conjecture, and the rest is subject to change.

As with most new special-interest cars, part of the question will be how quickly you want it. When the NSX was introduced in late summer 1990, if you wanted it the first month, you had to pay $25-50K over sticker price. If you were willing to wait 3-4 months, you could get one for $10K over sticker. If you were willing to wait a few months longer than that, you could get one for close to sticker. That is likely to be equally true for the new NSX. So even if the sticker is $99K, you may still have to wait a while after it hits the market before you can actually buy one for that price.

I can remember the shock me and my techs experienced when we where told how much one of our customers said she paid to get one of the first pt cruisers in town. 27000!! Yeah that was money well spent.

i can remember the shock me and my techs experienced when we where told how much one of our customers said she paid to get one of the first pt cruisers in town. 27000!! Yeah that was money well spent.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Go drive a 911.

If you want power, luxury, a million smiles per second and refinement this is it for under $100k. You can easily pick up a slightly used GT3. I love 911's and if I could have both in my garage it would be both the NSX and 911 of choice.

Or pick yourself up an Audi R8 in 6-speed while you can. The R8 is an amazing car and I've driven both the DSG and 6-speed and love it. If I wasn't saving for our dream home I'd be nabbing one yesterday.

I love your love of the new NSX but its still 3-4 years out and Honda hasn't promised anything. They have cried wolf before...heck this one didn't even have a prototype interior. The Ironman convertible was on a 91 NSX chassis and used its interior for pete's sake...:frown:

I would pay $125K for a new NSX AS LONG AS IT DELIVERS FROM A PERFORMANCE STANDPOINT. I don't care about 0-60 times but it HAS to be in 3-4 range to compete with other cars in the price range.

Just to be a devil's advocate. The Porsche 918 Sypder is going to have similar hybrid technology, not be AWD, will be a convertible and prolly be north of 750 HP. It will cost north of $600K new! Do you seriously think that Acura can deliver on similar technology with a V6 instead of a V8 for $100K? I realize one is a Halo car and the other(NSX) is basically a 911 competitor BUT they have similar technologies(except of V6 Vs. V8)!

I'd love to get the new NSX but if it anywhere near $125k, I'd rather get a used Ford GT.

A lot of big boat / yacht owners have their "boats" registered in other countries Bahamas, Liberia, Honduras, etc... because of the U.S. "luxury" tax that applies to most any toy valued over $100,000.00.
Will this "luxury" tax apply here?
If so, add that when the new price is over $100,000.00.

Cheers
nigel

I'd love to get the new NSX but if it anywhere near $125k, I'd rather get a used Ford GT.

You won't get a clean GT for that money, but spend a little more, you won't be disappointed!!!:wink:

bring your 'black-card'...

A lot of big boat / yacht owners have their "boats" registered in other countries Bahamas, Liberia, Honduras, etc... because of the U.S. "luxury" tax that applies to most any toy valued over $100,000.00.
Will this "luxury" tax apply here?

If so, add that when the new price is over $100,000.00...
With automotive sales, there's a gas guzzler tax which has become known as a "luxury tax" over the years. It's applicable towards a mandated combined fuel-economy. Recently, the MP4-12C eluded the gas guzzler tax- quite an endeavor for such a platform.

The actual luxury tax on vehicles was short-lived, trimmed & curtailed over the years till it was finally removed in '02. And even when applicable, it was calculated above a certain threshhold, and only for that amount above said threshold. Not to mention many exclusions existed.

And all indications from abroad (namely Japan) & stateside seem to indicate a starting price-point of $125k - $135k (USD).

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's opinions, but I am curious where some of you are coming up with your guesses on the pricing? Mine is based on information on their pricing and performance targets from friends inside Honda, and information on where they are trying to hit with this car. Not just my own personal spit balling.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=1237014
From the looks of it, the new NSX isn't a logical evolution of the previous diamond in the rough. It will rely on technology for its appeal, with all-wheel drive, a hybrid drivetrain and a paddle transmission, while the original was a purist's vehicle, a simple, well-considered sports car.

Was this guy conscious in the early 90s? Is he serious? The NSX got a lot of flack from "purists" for being so easy to drive, so comfortable, so practical, so ergonomic, so reliable, lacking in character, etc.

Recall Tiff Needell saying in 1990 about the NSX,
Talk of supercars and you think of excitement and impracticality, the ultimate in performance with nowhere to store your golf clubs, great style and drama but an unwilling throughbread fighting to wrest control from the macho male behind the wheel. When the Japanese talk of supercars, it comes out differently...

If executed right, like the first NSX was, the next NSX could be a really, really great car not despite the technology (DCT transmission, electric motors, etc) but because of them. When we think supercars we think 17-18 MPG (458 & MP4-12c, respectively). For the Japanese it comes out differently.

Watch this review of the MP4-12c:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5mKB-8WUB5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(YouTube link in case embedding gets disabled)

That is about the vision I have for the new NSX...if you add Honda reliability, amazing gas mileage, and Mitch-level pricing. An evolution like that is more fitting as the next NSX than a throwback to the first with some added horsepower (though I have to admit I'm very enthusiastic about the size/proportions being very close). I think a lot of us don't get the muscle car folks because we want other types of performance (like ability to turn) and styling (aerodynamic) that have come to pass since the first versions of those cars. They see the muscle cars as more pure. If Honda executes well, the new NSX will be great and decidedly not "pure" (a euphemism for "old" it seems).

Last edited:
No matter how much money I have, there's a chance I'll never own a newer sports car due to the current trend in automotive "enhancements". Call me an old fashioned dinosaur.

My opinion, a sports car needs to have some basic characteristics in order to feel connected with the machine. I've driven some of the "new age" sports/exotics and there's an uncomfortable feeling of numbing disconnect that just doesn't give me the satisfaction I require:

1. Manual gearbox with three pedals that's heel-toe friendly. (I'll explain later)
2. Rear wheel drive, or mostly rear bias.
3. Ability to disable nannies, or have none.
4. Steering with feedback.
5. Relatively small, low, and lightweight.

Notice power isn't in the list. I'm talking about sports setup, not brute force muscle or super/hypercar status. Too much power sometimes degrades the nimble sports car experience.

Now back to the pedal configuration for heel-toe that's popular in 90% of sports cars. Within three years the pedal config in vehicles sold to the US market will be most likely be regulated by the Feds, and will NOT be friendly to enthusiasts. People are screaming over the black box data logging legislation, well this is also part of that same bill, along with several hundred more nanny mandates. There's a 90% chance it will become law as it has strong support on both sides:

S. 1813 - Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act

SEC. 31403. PEDAL PLACEMENT STANDARD.
...minimum clearances for passenger motor vehicle foot pedals with respect to other pedals, the vehicle floor (including aftermarket floor coverings), and any other potential obstructions to pedal movement that the Secretary determines to be relevant.

No matter how much money I have, there's a chance I'll never own a newer sports car due to the current trend in automotive "enhancements". Call me an old fashioned dinosaur.

My opinion, a sports car needs to have some basic characteristics in order to feel connected with the machine. I've driven some of the "new age" sports/exotics and there's an uncomfortable feeling of numbing disconnect that just doesn't give me the satisfaction I require:

1. Manual gearbox with three pedals that's heel-toe friendly. (I'll explain later)
2. Rear wheel drive, or mostly rear bias.
3. Ability to disable nannies, or have none.
4. Steering with feedback.
5. Relatively small, low, and lightweight.

Notice power isn't in the list. I'm talking about sports setup, not brute force muscle or super/hypercar status. Too much power sometimes degrades the nimble sports car experience.
]

They already make this car. It's called a "Miata".

when one of the new owners wrecks it I will just buy if for half the price retail and fix it for the insurance company. LOL

I already have a plan in place LOL

I really dont want it if it not manual

paddle shifters are def not the same.

Back