• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX-R Style Engine Bay Wrap

Was just tinkering with my own NSX today and tweaking bits and pieces, however it went from nothing extreme, to wrapping the engine bay in matt black vinyl lol

Always had it in the back of my head to get the engine bay done in black, same as the NSX-R. I know some members done a great job in the past with spraying it, but as I had a load of vinyl wrap and no patience to mask everything and start spraying, I decided to try the wrap out.

I done this in about an hour, wouldnt say I have the best wrapping skills but it has achieved the desired affect.

When I get the NSX-R engine cover back on, it will look fantastic.

So here are the pics; haven't even cleaned the wrap down yet but still looks good.

P1020283.jpg

P1020284.jpg

P1020285.jpg

P1020286.jpg

P1020287.jpg

P1020288.jpg

P1020289.jpg

P1020291.jpg

P1020292.jpg

P1020293.jpg

What a difference....

Wow what a difference. Looks good.

ah.... won't that melt being in a hot engine compartment?

Hi,

Someone asked similar on the UK club, and my response was:

Not entirely sure on that. I have had 2 bits in the engine bay wrapped for about 2 years now and it hasnt peeled. The outside temp here today is 28c, I have had the car sitting out in the sun and had engine to operating temp and left it for 25mins as a quick test, then was away for an hours drive, at the moment alls good.

At the end of the day it's just vinyl, if it peels then I ain't bothered as its stuff that been laying in the garage, and only took me an hour to fit, easy enough to put on and will be easy for me to take off if need be. But at the moment it's perfect and looks the business! Just want to put my NSX-R back on now.

Last edited:
Looking good. I notice that the coolant reservoir is turning yellow even with the NSX-R cover (I have one too). How old is the reservoir tank? Btw good job on the wrapping, it look like it is painted.

Off topic. I can't wait to go back to UK for my PhD study. :biggrin:

Looking good. I notice that the coolant reservoir is turning yellow even with the NSX-R cover (I have one too). How old is the reservoir tank? Btw good job on the wrapping, it look like it is painted.

Off topic. I can't wait to go back to UK for my PhD study. :biggrin:

Coolant tank is old, I have a new one on the shelf to change too when I get some time over winter.

Well I've been driving my car every day since I done the wrap, and checking the condition of it. All has stayed the same, no peeling or melting of the wrap anywhere. On one of my days out I did a 6hr constant drive one way and 6hrs back. So the wrap is staying on! Should have the engine cover on soon and I'll post up some pics of that, along with the OEM NSX-R engine by decals.

I hate to be that guy but an engine bay fire is not something to take lightly. If it delaminates and touches the front bank header its smoke city. Id carry a fire extinguisher just in case.

Looks good but I was wondering the same thing. How flammable is vinyl wrap?

Looks good but I was wondering the same thing. How flammable is vinyl wrap?

It's not flamable as far as Im aware, it will more than likely just melt if it did touch that kind of heat. I held a proper heat gun to it for a long period and the wrap just melted.

Not only that but this is the stuff that is used to wrap all kinds of exotics, motorbikes, race cars, ATVs etc etc etc, and those are wrapped right in around the bumpers, exhaust ports, beside headers and so forth, and so far I've never heard of any catching fire.

I have some of this on my own ATV right beside the header and very nearly touching, and it's been on there for a year now and hasn't budged. So I'm happy enough, but as mentioned I will keep a close eye and checking the condition over the next few weeks and months.

My rear hatch is tinted and I cant even see the firewall. I was thinking of doing it black but...

The tint really protects the hoses, tank, etc. Not sure I would want to live without the tint. It also creates more of a "canopy" look on the car's upper.

Back