• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-S, Zanardi and NSX-S Zero Sway Bars

Looking at the OEM sway bar chart, it looks like the 1997 NSX-S, Zanardi and NSX-S Zero have larger sway bars in the rear than in the front. This is the only year this occurred. Anyone know why that particular combination was chosen and only that year? Spring rates between the models were also different.

How would this configuration impact handling vs. the more common setup of a larger front bar to rear bar?

SWAY BAR CHART

Sway bars.PNG

SPRING CHART

Spring chart.PNG

Last edited:
Can't give input on larger front and rear or larger NSX-R front.
I have 91 with oem front and Z rear.
Immediately noticed the cornering difference improved on street driving.
I have a race coilover setup with stiff front springs and softer rears.

spring rate thread
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Suspension#Damper_.28Shock.29_Rates

Last edited:
I don't think the table is accurate enough. NSX-S Zero has the suspension of the 92-95 NSX-R. Why would they go with a different swaybar? Makes no sense.

I've the stiffest sway bars Honda produced for the NSX in my 91 with a not too harsh suspension and I think it's quite neutral but I don't drive like an idiot either. The cornering speed transformed compared to OEM.

I'm running the NSXR front sway bar and the Zanardi rear Sway bar on my 94.
I immediately noticed a handling improvement.
The car turns in tighter but still feels well planted at the rear.
The oem front sway bar is a hollow thin tube and the NSXR front sway bar is thicker and solid.
Great mod.

The S.Zero did in fact come with the larger rear sway. Remember the S.Zero was Honda's product offering for those customers who wanted to buy a NSX-R, which was not in production at the time. In many ways, the S.Zero was a testing ground for features that would make it into the 2002 NSX-R. For example, it has the dual-disc mainshaft in the 6-speed transmission and the wet-clutch LSD- features carried over to the R. One feature that did not make it over was the rear sway. While it worked very well with the Type-S suspension, a lot of people did not like how it interfaced with the NA1 NSX-R suspension on the S.Zero. I recall a Best Motoring segment where Gan San said the car was too twitchy compared to the NA1 NSX-R.

The NA2 NSX-R reverted back to the small factory rear sway and many NSX racers remove the rear sway entirely from the car. We can only guess, but it is likely Honda added the bigger rear sway to help balance out some of the understeer they added by changing the dampers and springs in the Type-S. This would result in a more lively-feeling, "tossable" car at street speeds. For the S.Zero, which was intended as a track day car, it might have made the car too loose at track speeds. This was an issue for the original NSX too and is why Honda did what it did on the NA1 R. It seems they corrected the S.Zero balance problem on the NA2 NSX-R.

Back