• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Subwoofer

Can someone confirm with me that there is a subwoofer on passenger foot area? Is it a 8 inch or a 10 inch woofer and could someone recommend a replacement to that woofer?

Thanks

Acura/Bose calls it a subwoofer. In reality it is a 4" piece of crap that is no more a subwoofer than the speakers in the door - it just sits behind a bandpass filter so it only gets lower (still in the mid-hundreds) frequencies.

Replacement? Anything is better. You'll need a custom box. Dali Racing has one at the link provided above or any good stereo shop can make one.

Yes. It is in a plastic speaker box. That box also houses the amp for the "subwoofer" speaker as well as amp for the center speaker between the seats.

Originally posted by NSXBenny:
Can someone confirm with me that there is a subwoofer on passenger foot area? Is it a 8 inch or a 10 inch woofer and could someone recommend a replacement to that woofer?

Thanks

Mine was replaced with a JL Audio 10 inch, in a custom made fiberglass enclosure

Enrique

Has anyone considered removing this "subwoofer" to regain some leg room for the passenger? Since it doesn't really do very much it seems like it might be something worthwhile to remove.

I was curious about the amplifier for the center speaker, is this needed or can it be driven from the radio's amp? Also what about the carpet, is there enough to cover up the missing speaker and box?

I think the NSX OE Stereo sounds superb. Good bass too. Am I the only one? Not that I'm into getting high end stereo or anything but...

nsxbenny - the center speaker is located right between the seats toward the back.

ak - I doubt there is any detectable "bass" in the the stock system, or even anything below about 250 hz. There is a LOT of converting all bass tones to a single mid-base thump though. If you are happy with it, more power to you and don't let anyone else's impression ruin it. The only person it matters to is the owner.

I was curious about the amplifier for the center speaker, is this needed or can it be driven from the radio's amp? Also what about the carpet, is there enough to cover up the missing speaker and box?[/B]

the head unit(radio) does not have an amplifier section to run the center channel. each speaker is powered by seperate units located in their baffle boxes. except the center which is in the sub box.

I agree AK, the Stock Bose sound is excellent considering the it was designed in 91. However I think these other chaps might be looking for some BIG sound. And we know loud music for extended periods of time can damage hearing, lol, but serious this is true. I had a state of the art stereo in my last car, over 5K spent, but as I have increased in age the OEM stuff is perfectly sufficient. For example my 2000 Infinity OEM Bose stereo is awesome, and is more than sufficient and as time goes on the OEM equipment will even get better, no kidding.

I had my entire sound system replaced and now it sounds 10x better (even though it sounded good before). I replaced the "sub" with a 8" Kicker Solobaric because it only needed .5 cu. ft. of airspace. It hits like 2 12"s though! I also replaced the door speakers with separates and power them all with a 400 watt 4 channel amp (2 channels for the dooors and the other 2 bridged for the sub). I installation costs more than the equiptment though! I had the box custom made for $500. I can give you more information about the place that made the box (they do allot of NSX's) if you want. It is a local sound shop here in Atlanta.

Good luck and email me if you have more questions,
Mike www.fuzzymonkey.org

Hi Mike,

could you email me pics (as many as you can) of the sub and separates after the installation. Did you change your head unit as well? I dont want to do too much of cutting. Also, what did you do withthe centre speaker at the back?

Thanks and regards

Ben

Gentlemen I just want to let you all know that if any of you have any knowledge of electronics then you can fix your amps just like i did.

If your Amp just begins to pop as mine did then there is hope. In other words the longer you wait and continue to power up your stereo with an amp failure than there might be other damage done that is behond what we might be able to repair. The reason for this is the "in-house" part numbers that Bose uses on some of the semiconductors and the inability to cross reference those parts for replacment.

Anyway I imediatley pulled my Sub Woofer because it started popping. This is a tell tale sign of Capacitor failure. So knowing the value of the caps and that they can be optained just about anywhere, I fiqured let me just replace all the caps on the amp board. While removing the main large caps a close inspection of the base of one of them revealed a wet oil substance at the base of one of the legs. This is what usally happens in capacitor failures. These are hard to find caps but with the help of someone here at Prime an email later pointed me in the right direction. The caps can be obtained from WWW.DIGI-KEY.COM. Well $24 later and extra caps in stock in my garage for the door amps if and when they should fail, my Sub and center are working fine again. It was easy and if you have soldering knowledge and multimeter capability then you too can repair your amps.

This was a crazy attempt at first but it worked out better the second time.The center upright utilizes an 8" SoloBaric which faces upwards.
nsxsubwoofer.jpg

FORGET ABOUT SUB WOOFER!!!!!!!! NSX IS PURE SPORTS CAR!!!!!!

This is my opinion, if you have enough money to get subwoofer, you should save money for, brakes, exhausts, turbo/superchargers, body kits, etc...Because thats what I am doing.

this is what ive beem looking for, i want to put my two bullet subs in a custom enclosure behind the seats, nice attempt :)

I've also got a custom fiberglass '10 Infinity unit going in to replace the factory... there will be a slight loss of leg space :( . But I don't care it's all about me! :D

See my web page for more details and pictures....

yo said:
bruce, do you have your name on your back window? right behind the zapper?

About this. Is your name Bruce Nomura? If not, who is this Bruce Nomura guy. I've seem that name decal on a few other NSXs in this forums. When I bought my NSX from a friend, I had that same decal on my window. I was just curious as to who this guy is that he gets his name on all these NSX's :D

Back