• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX TT vs. Ferrari 360 (Results)

I had the pleasure of racing against a Ferrari 360 tonight.

I chatted with the 360 driver at a red light, and we agreed to race from a roll after we crossed the intersection.

It was a 2-gear race -- 2nd and 3rd gear. I figured I had the advantage (grin) and let him get on the gas first. The rear of the 360 was headed past my hood when I stepped on the gas.

The twin turbos spooled up immediately and we were quickly side by side. I took a very brief moment to listen to the Ferrari's engine note (beautiful, though I seem to remember the 355 sounding sweeter?), then I was past him & couldn't hear much more of the engine.

Somewhere towards the top of 3rd gear (for me) he let off the gas, I was maybe 1.25 to 2 car lengths ahead.

We didn't talk about the results of the race when we got to the next signal. I complimented him on his car & wished him well. I didn't want him feeling bad after he gave me the gift of a race with such an awesome car. Someday I hope to have a red 360 too
smile.gif
. And if it's a little slower than my NSX in the straight line, I think I can handle that.
smile.gif

Marc
97 NSX Twin Turbo

Wow! Very nice indeed... Your car is really running strong! The 360 is a beast...

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:

I chatted with the 360 driver at a red light, and we agreed to race from a roll after we crossed the intersection.

It was a 2-gear race -- 2nd and 3rd gear. I figured I had the advantage (grin) and let him get on the gas first. The rear of the 360 was headed past my hood when I stepped on the gas.

The twin turbos spooled up immediately and we were quickly side by side. I took a very brief moment to listen to the Ferrari's engine note (beautiful, though I seem to remember the 355 sounding sweeter?), then I was past him & couldn't hear much more of the engine.

Somewhere towards the top of 3rd gear (for me) he let off the gas, I was maybe 1.25 to 2 car lengths ahead.

We didn't talk about the results of the race when we got to the next signal. I complimented him on his car & wished him well. I didn't want him feeling bad after he gave me the gift of a race with such an awesome car. Someday I hope to have a red 360 too
smile.gif
. And if it's a little slower than my NSX in the straight line, I think I can handle that.
smile.gif

Marc
97 NSX Twin Turbo
I love these stories, gives me goosebumps, keep them coming!!! See you on Thurs?
John

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:

Did he know you were running twin turbo's? Even with the TT, what are you pushing? 400 HP? 450? Seems like it should be a pretty close match between the two cars.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Hey Marc,

Good to hear that. Actually your post is one of the best encounter post I've seen. You didn't boast as a cheaper car that can kick a car twice as much.

That what differentiate NSX owners than other car owners IMHO.

Totally different than other forums where we constantly see people boasting their $40K car can kick $200K cars. So what? Even if the Ferarri is a little slower, we all know, well most of us anyway, would like to own it anyway. And it certainly in its own class.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 20 February 2002).]

Ferrari 360 Modena F1
Weight: 3064 lbs
Horsepower: 400 hp @ 8500 rpm
Torque: 276 ft-lbs. @ 4750 rpm

I would think a SC'd or TT'd NSX would do very well against this as a norm - the only 'big' advantage that the F1 would have is the 'paddle' shifting ability - I'll bet that makes a big difference.

Marc, what's the RWHP of your NSX?

Good work, BTW!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

wow nice run, i have a 2000 360 modena also and it is alot faster than my nsx, granted my nsx just has rm exhaust and intake. the 360 is great but sure is tempermental, believe me we are all spoiled driving an exotic like an nsx!

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

I didn't tell the Ferrari driver that I was turbocharged.. I figured I'd rather leave him with the impression that stock NSX's are scary fast
smile.gif

I haven't dyno'ed the car (one of these days I will give it a shot). My guess is that I'm not pushing all that much peak horsepower given the relationship between horsepower and RPM. The way I have my boost set up, it falls off as revs increase beyond 6300rpm or so. By the time I'm approaching redline, boost is down to 3 to 3.5psi. (From a peak of around 6.4psi at ~5300rpm).

I figure I'd rather run conservative boost at higher rpms to play it safe. One of these days though I may take a shot at keeping boost up through to redline.

So, I probably out-torqued the Ferrari. I would think I'm at or over 300lb-ft (to the wheels) compared to the Ferrari's 276 to the crank.

Ilya - I haven't broken an 11 with the NSX but it sure was close
smile.gif
. I went to the dragstrip that 1 time and ran a 12.04 @ 118.5 mph, on 91 octane pump gas (and street tires).. I definitely think the car is high-11 second capable with a good launch, cooler temps, or better gas.

John - Yes! I'm finally gonna make it to another CalCoastal NSX meeting.. I've had the time blocked in my calendar for a month
smile.gif
. See you Thursday.

Best,
Marc

Marc LIVES!

I see you escaped from work long enough to drive your NSX...I assume your work load is lightening up since you're coming Thursday.
Valerie and I will see ya then!

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Hey Marc,

Good to hear that. Actually your post is one of the best encounter post I've seen. You didn't boast as a cheaper car that can kick a car twice as much.

That what differentiate NSX owners than other car owners IMHO.

Totally different than other forums where we constantly see people boasting their $40K car can kick $200K cars. So what? Even if the Ferarri is a little slower, we all know, well most of us anyway, would like to own it anyway. And it certainly in its own class.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 20 February 2002).]

I agree 100%. None of these immature "kill" stories. Good stuff Marc!

Originally posted by EDRNSX1:
Hey Marc, what TT setup are you running. I looked in to briefly, but read some horror stories on this site.

I run a Bell Twin Turbo kit but I researched & purchased my own components for fuel delivery (which worked out very well). The early Bell TT's definitely had problems with inadequate fuel delivery, but the problems can be easily remedied.

Eric - Unfortunately, things are only lightening up a little, but I'll take what I can get!
smile.gif
On top of work woes, we're in full house-search mode right now.. Prices are so amazingly expensive! See you Thursday.

Marc

Marc you're our NSX hero!I can imagine what was going through your head before deciding to undertake this challange.And I know what it felt like after you did.I'm glad to hear everything is still running well.
I've had the opportunity of test driving a 1999 and a 2001 Modena after installing the Tubi exhaust systems. I was never much of a Ferrari fan until I actually drove the 360s.I must be honest and say that are the most fascinating sportscar I have ever driven.To beat one of these F-1's down low is no easy task, the shifts are identical to driving the GT-3 game.Starting from neutral you can literally stand on the gas at a desired RPM and then click in first gear and launch away. And then without ever lifting the throttle one bit, continue to advance foward, clicking away as it snaps your head back into the seat each time. There is no human alive that could ever shift as quick nor as consistently as the F-1 does.Just incredible, but just not incredible enough for Marc! "ha,ha, I love it" In fact one of the owners traded in his 355 F-1 for his 360F-1 after a '95 NSXTT pulled(3rd-4th gear) away as they were getting on the freeway together.Anyways, good job and don't blow it up otherwise my trying to overcome and explain these viscious Turbo rumors and advantages over Superchargers will become even more difficult.
Saiyonara
smile.gif

Originally posted by Bruce:
Marc you're our NSX hero!I can imagine what was going through your head before deciding to undertake this challange.And I know what it felt like after you did.I'm glad to hear everything is still running well.
I've had the opportunity of test driving a 1999 and a 2001 Modena after installing the Tubi exhaust systems. I was never much of a Ferrari fan until I actually drove the 360s.I must be honest and say that are the most fascinating sportscar I have ever driven.To beat one of these F-1's down low is no easy task, the shifts are identical to driving the GT-3 game.Starting from neutral you can literally stand on the gas at a desired RPM and then click in first gear and launch away. And then without ever lifting the throttle one bit, continue to advance foward, clicking away as it snaps your head back into the seat each time. There is no human alive that could ever shift as quick nor as consistently as the F-1 does.Just incredible, but just not incredible enough for Marc! "ha,ha, I love it" In fact one of the owners traded in his 355 F-1 for his 360F-1 after a '95 NSXTT pulled(3rd-4th gear) away as they were getting on the freeway together.Anyways, good job and don't blow it up otherwise my trying to overcome and explain these viscious Turbo rumors and advantages over Superchargers will become even more difficult.
Saiyonara
smile.gif

So how does Turbo compare to SC??? Pro's and Con's???

I have to chime in here. I was in LA earlier in the week and hooked up with Marc. I wanted to compare the difference between a TT and the BB SC, that is just from an experience standpoint, smoothness in power as the #s have been posted.

After getting a ride from Marc all I can say is WOW!!! His setup is producing some serious power. We started at 2500 and ran it up to redline. The power came on very smooth. I didn't feel any kick, just smooth incrediable power. Also I could definitely feel it kicking in by 3k if not lower. It also felt like the engine just wanted to keep going even as we neared redline. When Marc shifted between 2nd and 3rd the TCS would kick on! I understand how he pulled a 12 in the quarter.

Marc's installation is very, very clean. You wouldn't know his car was TT if you opened the engine compartment. Also the turbines are tucked up nice and neat in the rear end. Just very, very clean.

Now the second part of my comparison was to see and "feel" the power from the Basch Boost SC. Unfortunately the location where the event was held didn't lend itself to this and Chris was just too tired to give rides. I could definitely understand where he's coming from as the past few days for him have been busy.

Chris said he'll try to make it down to a PIR event. I look forward to hopefully experiencing it then. In the brief time I was able to look at the BB SC setup it appeared to be very clean too.

BTW Marc is a really great guy. It was late Sunday and he'd been gone all day. He went out his way to give me a ride. THANKS AGAIN!

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 27 February 2002).]

Originally posted by nsx 808:
What wheels are those, Marc?

(Yokohama) Advan Model 7's

Bruce: Thanks. What do I have to do to convince you to move down to SoCal and set up shop?
smile.gif
(For those who don't know, Bruce is the owner of Nomura Tuning in NoCal and one of only a select few people I'd trust to install a Twin Turbo kit or other serious modifications).

Hal - Thanks, it was my pleasure.

Marc

There was a great article on a Twin Turbo NSX from Bruce Nomura's shop on Overboost.com
a while back.
I could post the link, but nobody without a full access pass would be able to see it.
Helps to know the owner.
biggrin.gif

Bruce is known for doing quite a few of those kits I think.

Hey guys, thanks for your support I'm sorry you had to see all that.
-Ilya have that NSX story on my website and no access pass is needed. I thought overboost was free access for 1 week each month. I not sure which week, or if they do it for sure?
-Marc thanks I am honored that I played a small part in America's qwickest NSX.heh,heh. hmmm I wonder, is there any other documented runs for an 11 second street or race NSX? Adam's doesn't count.

Okay, Ive got something for you guys I hope Andre or anyone else hasn't seen it already.I'm always the last to show. Grab a seat and turn up the volume cause this will give all of you goosebumps!My particular favorites, click Movies, click various.then click the 0-300 VeilsideGTR 13.72sec. run, the JUN 900hp Supra through Wangan Tunnel at 300+km,JUN 600hp EVO5 drift: click NAGATA, and GTR-700. Fair warning, people with heart conditions ask your doctor... http://www.exvitermini.com/

Am I getting old, or is anyone else bothered by movies of fast cars driving through traffic at outrageous speeds? I'm particularly offended by the movies of cars running from the police.

OTOH, the on-track movies are very cool.

Back