• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs 996TT

well...to each their own.

very few ppl actually have the "long throw" shifter. Perhaps only 30% of the non-tiptronic cars have this shifter. While its a long throw, it is Buttery smooth.

I hate bench racing, but you should understand that these cars arent even close in performance. What kind of time does a stock NSX do on the north loop? (not a JDM NSX-R on slicks) 8:33?? a stock TT 7:56... 37seconds difference?

i

Liftshard, god forbid you say something that does not favor what Porschephiles wish to hear! Thanks for your honest opinion., and i feel you are definitely entitled to your impressions being considered valid. I guess this is the snootery my Porsche-owning friend warned me about. ;)
Everybody relax, you'll all live longer.

they are not sequential in the 911 they are matched, i have driven both cars ALOT and while i may not be the best driver...the nsx is far from the better car...(fwiw i do own 2 nsx and zero 911)

smite said:
Liftshard, god forbid you say something that does not favor what Porschephiles wish to hear! Thanks for your honest opinion., and i feel you are definitely entitled to your impressions being considered valid. I guess this is the snootery my Porsche-owning friend warned me about. ;)
Everybody relax, you'll all live longer.

I think this holds true for anyone who is passionate for one brand or type of car. I can see this when I visit a Porsche forum or this one. I really like all cars if they have something to offer. The only real allegiance I have to any one brand is Porsche but I am more than happy to point out their deficiencies as well. I think sometimes people are over zealous about their vehicles and don’t maintain a rational perspective.

The amount of speed that those Big Reds are capable of is one of the most spectacular things I have ever felt on a race track.

I cannot see how you are comparing NSX brakes to those; after lapping (as a passenger) in a 993TT for awhile, I felt I needed new brakes when I got back into my 02.

I do not for one second believe that the NSX is the better car between the two, but I can understand why some of you may; it is the better car for us. Which is why we drive NSXs and not those terrific Porsche Turbos.

SPA_S2000 said:
...I felt I needed new brakes when I got back into my 02.

The size of the brake rotors and calipers has very little to do with how fast you can slow down. You can get your NSX into anti-lock if you brake hard enough. If you put those Porsche brakes on your NSX (assuming they would fit), it would only put you into ABS faster than your stock brakes.

What the big brakes get you is better cooling (more surface area on the rotors). They also get you more clamping force, yes, but you must have the tires to utilize that clamping force...many people do not.

Trust me...if people learned to drive their cars more than buying upgrades, they would realize just how good the performance of the stock equipment is.
I'd take Andrie Hartanto in a NA NSX with stock brakes over an average driver in a 993TT or 996TT anyday.

On Road Atlanta, JeffA and TheNSXNUT regularly spank all forms of Porsches with their stock (91) brakes.

The brake difference has been discussed ad nauseam. Brake effectiveness has many variables and if you include drivers of different skill it only gets compounded. If I were to choose b/t the Big Reds and stock NA2 brakes...I'd choose the Big Reds w/o hesitation. I am no Andrie but even I know, from experience, that the stock brakes cannot handle the repeated extreme braking that track driving requires. The Porsche wins this performance benchmark from the simple fact that the Porsche will still be on track running consistent times while the NSX is limping around b/c it has overheated the pads, boiled the fluid, and upset the driver.

The only things the Porsche doesn't have going for it are looks (subjective) and the shifter (reminds of a C6). And there are ways to get past either of the above. Just my .02.

My fav 911 based interior:
RGT3_lg.jpg

Ponyboy said:
If I were to choose b/t the Big Reds and stock NA2 brakes...I'd choose the Big Reds w/o hesitation.
I agree

Ponyboy said:
the stock brakes cannot handle the repeated extreme braking that track driving requires.

This is simply not true. If you use good track brake pads, high-temp fluid and good braking technique, the stock brakes will work fine and will not fade during a 25-30 minute (avg length) DE track session. I know...I've done it for years and so have many others I hang out with at the track. However, if you routinely do nice, long, smooth braking from high speed, then yes...that poor technique will cook your NSX brakes.

Again, this topic has been discussed beat to death. And I'm actually a fan of the stock brakes (with proper supporting mods: pads, cooling, and fluid) for those 25-30 minutes. But after that, the brakes are poor. And I am not going to make this personal by implying poor braking or driving technique or any other deficiency in the person. You'll have to take my word that I realize the difference in a professional driver and a someone just starting out. However, I will make allowance for the difference in ambient heat of the region and the type of tracks a person regularly drives on.

FWIW, the driver you speak of had Porsche Big Reds on his NSX. :wink: IIRC, he hated the stock ABS too.

In any event, at least we can agree on our fondness for the Big Reds.

Ponyboy said:
The brake difference has been discussed ad nauseam. Brake effectiveness has many variables and if you include drivers of different skill it only gets compounded. If I were to choose b/t the Big Reds and stock NA2 brakes...I'd choose the Big Reds w/o hesitation. I am no Andrie but even I know, from experience, that the stock brakes cannot handle the repeated extreme braking that track driving requires. The Porsche wins this performance benchmark from the simple fact that the Porsche will still be on track running consistent times while the NSX is limping around b/c it has overheated the pads, boiled the fluid, and upset the driver.

Uh...where the hell did I say I was on the track? As for brakes, I care really only about daily driving usage. In that respect, the NSX brakes required less pedal travel, were more easily modulated, and came on quicker than the 911's. End of freakin story.

As for which one laps the Nurburgring quicker...who cares? I am not a race driver. The 911TT has tons more power and AWD. That ALONE explains why it is much faster. As for chassis balance and other tuning issues, the NSX wins, because it is mid engined. This is the REASON why these race drivers can extract so much performance out of these cars with so little apparent paper capability.

I can only comment on what I experienced driving each car back-to-back NOT on a freaking track, NOT for 30 minutes of lapping with a helmet on.

liftshard said:
Uh...where the hell did I say I was on the track?

Where the hell did I write that I was responding to you?

And why such animosity towards anyone that doesn't agree with you and ruin a good discussion? If continuing in this thread requires being angry or short of fuse, then...you win, buddy. :confused:

Unsubscribe.

Back