• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. C6 Corvette -- 3rd gear

Hey guys

Not to stir the pot ,but this has been covered before. Topgear did a drag race with the new C6. It went up against the NSX , 911 , TVR. The NSX came in second ahead of the third place C6 manual. Race starts about 3:10 secs into the video. So this was recorded proof. It seems odd to me as well as far as recorded numbers go the NSX has never done what the Vette has done. Proof is proof though.

Wingz,
If a "one time" drag race between 4 drivers doing a "heads up" start is how you measure if a car is faster in a drag race or not... and that's your proof, then we live on different planets as far as what makes evidince. Did you see how much of a jump start the NSX driver got???

Have you ever been to a real drag stip? I bet not. If you go, or if you have, why don't you just watch the C6s run and check out some of their trap speeds and e.t.s. Then, run your NSX and see how bad you get spanked.

The quoted comments above are in the running for "most ridiculous post of the week award" (TM).

I may be blind, I do reach for my glasses more than I use to but where did you come up with this number? It sounds off.

OK. I have done my research and I will post my findings. Like I said, finding a 0-150 time for the 91-94 NSX is near impossible.

Here is what I found.

April 1994 R&T 1994 NSX 0-100 14.4 0-100-0 19.0 (fyi, a ZR1 did it in 17.3)

R&T 1991 Sports car and GT, 1991 NSX 0-100 14.0 1/4 14.0 @100 MPH

May 1997 MT, 1997 NSX-T 0-100 11.8, 0-100-0 16.3 (FYI 97 vette did it in 11.1/15.7). The NSX also hit 150.2 NSX in 34.0 seconds.

1996 R7T Sports and GT, 1996 NSX-T 0-100 13.1 1/4 14.0 @ 103.5

1993 R&T sports and GT, 1993 NSX 0-100 14.0 1/4 14.0 @ 100

July 1997, 97 NSX-T 0-100 11.7 0-150 38.6

August 1994, 94 NSX 0-100 12.6 1/4 13.6 @ 105.7

Sept 2002 1997 Comptech NSX-T (claimed 460HP -- yeah right), 0-100 10.3 0-150 28.8 (i put the 0-100 and 100-150 times together) not sure how accurate that is, however, they said 100-150 was 9.8 seconds faster than a stock 97 NSX. That puts 100-150 @ 26.9. They said stock 0-100 was 11.7. That puts a stock NSX at 0-150 @ 38.6 done the same method.

August 1998... THE IMFAMOUS NSX...
1998 NSX coupe, 0-100 10.6 0-150 28.2 -- faster than the 460HP CTSC above... still 3 seconds slower than the 05 vette.

March 1996, MT, modified NSX (91-94) 0-100 11.6, 1/4 13.2 @ 108.7 0-100-0 @ 16.2 this car made 273 RWHP est 338HP crank.

Feb 1997, R&T, 0-100 11.7, 0-110 14.0 1/4 13.5 @ 108 MPH

Car and Driver, Zanardi NSX 0-100 11.8, 1/4 13.2 @ 106, 0-150 34.7

July 1995 0-150MPH 0-100: 13.8 1/4 @ 103mph, 0-150 MPH 45.5

The point of posting all of this is two fold.
1) It shows the 97 NSX for the most part is a good bit quicker than the 91-94 and even a modded one. (most of us that have owned/driven na1 v na2 already know that)
2) it shows the majority of 97+ NSX 0-150 times are between 34-38 seconds. If you take out the fastest and take out the slowest, you are right about 34 seconds. Pretty close to what I said.

I hope that is enough to back my claims for you. If not, I give up.

Anyway, I still love the NSX and I had a blast in them this weekend. I sure miss the extra 2000 RPM and the sound is to die for...

Last edited:
Wingz,
If a "one time" drag race between 4 drivers doing a "heads up" start is how you measure if a car is faster in a drag race or not... and that's your proof, then we live on different planets as far as what makes evidince. Did you see how much of a jump start the NSX driver got???

Have you ever been to a real drag stip? I bet not. If you go, or if you have, why don't you just watch the C6s run and check out some of their trap speeds and e.t.s. Then, run your NSX and see how bad you get spanked.

The quoted comments above are in the running for "most ridiculous post of the week award" (TM).

No you get the "most ridiculous post of the week award" for not reading my previous post. Honestly how stupid do you sound for trying to go off on me when I specifically said "
. It seems odd to me as well as far as recorded numbers go the NSX has never done what the Vette has done.

As you can see if you decided to actually read this time that the NSX doesn't record the same numbers as the vette. Also it's idiotic to assume or even say "I bet not" on something you don't know. I use to take my modded Z TT to two of the local drag strips. Oh well thanks for playing:rolleyes:

Thank you, very nice informative post. I concede that you are a well researched magazine stat maven.

Where was this one?
NSX 3.0 0-150 MPH is 46 seconds

Am I blind, as you said, is it there or did you just recall that one wrong? People can do that you know. I do sometimes too. More as I get older.:smile:

I got the impression from your post that you no longer have your 95?
If I didn't have mine I would miss it too (itsa red/blk 96 CTSC, shorties and 4.23 r&p)

That yellow NSX, the infamous one, is fast, has over 100k miles and still runs like a raped ape. You don't have to believe me but every now and then I come across another with that kind of snap. It almost feels like a CTSC, but it is not. The numbers it puts out are real and the owner has posted times in the mid to high twelves in the 1/4, bone stock. (it was at the time, anyway). The C&D test was not rigged.

This is hilarious guys. I have owned a C6, a C4, 928S4, 550hp cobra and 2 NSXs. The stock NSX is not as fast as most think. It is as fast as a 300hp C4, will run with the 928s4 and have a hard time with the c6 and get smoked by the cobra. Case closed end of story. I am sure if you supercharged etc... the nsx to 350rwhp it would hang with a z06.

No you get the "most ridiculous post of the week award" for not reading my previous post. Honestly how stupid do you sound for trying to go off on me when I specifically said "

As you can see if you decided to actually read this time that the NSX doesn't record the same numbers as the vette. Also it's idiotic to assume or even say "I bet not" on something you don't know. I use to take my modded Z TT to two of the local drag strips. Oh well thanks for playing:rolleyes:

I don't know, Perry. C6 Vette's are pretty darn fast.

In any case, please accept my submission for "most ridiculous post of the week award". :biggrin:

Attachments

• wingzvette.jpg
    wingzvette.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
Thank you, very nice informative post. I concede that you are a well researched magazine stat maven.

Where was this one?

Am I blind, as you said, is it there or did you just recall that one wrong? People can do that you know. I do sometimes too. More as I get older.:smile:

I got the impression from your post that you no longer have your 95?
If I didn't have mine I would miss it too (itsa red/blk 96 CTSC, shorties and 4.23 r&p)

That yellow NSX, the infamous one, is fast, has over 100k miles and still runs like a raped ape. You don't have to believe me but every now and then I come across another with that kind of snap. It almost feels like a CTSC, but it is not. The numbers it puts out are real and the owner has posted times in the mid to high twelves in the 1/4, bone stock. (it was at the time, anyway). The C&D test was not rigged.

I couldn't find the 46 second time. There was a time in the FAQ but I can' t find it. If you want to call me wrong, so be it on that one. Judging by the times of the 97, it is not far from 46.

That 97 coupe by the way is silver, not yellow. But I know the yellow one you are talking about and it is a monster!

Sounds like your car is awesome. Don't ever part with it and treat her well. :)

Interesting thread this has turned into...

First, a lot of people are talking about pre-97 NSX's. Let's keep this about the 3.2L to keep things simple.

Second, I don't know what to say. I beat a C6 twice. TopGear beat the C6, and CarandDriver says the 1/4 mile times are .2 seconds different. If anyone doubts all this, why not go try it yourself and report back?

I think a good number of people don't drive the car correctly
so it feels slow to them.

If not launched properly, (it is hard to do) the numbers 0 to whatever can stink.
I think jond starting on in 3rd took this out of the equation and showed the car off well.

You're 100% right. I came from an Integra Type-R where vtec is VERY VERY noticeable. You either have horse power or you dont. I would floor it from a stop, look around, play with the radio, scratch my head waiting for 6,000rpm in that thing, but at 6k, it was ON! Like a switch.
The NSX is deceptive. It has SOME torque and so you don't notice vtec as much, so most owners probably never draw the connection on how to race it. ALWAYS stage up at 6,000rpm if you're racing someone on the a private test track.

This also goes for when you show your cars to other people. If you're taking someone out in your car and they want to see how fast it is, don't just floor it at 4,000rpm. Ease it up to 6k, then nail it and take it through a gear or two. The difference is huge.

Last edited:
I don't know, Perry. C6 Vette's are pretty darn fast.

In any case, please accept my submission for "most ridiculous post of the week award". :biggrin:

LOL Oh nooooooooooo! The bunny thing will never end!

I tell ya Mike it's too funny that these things always start if anyone posts their NSX beat anything beyond a Civic with a fart can exhaust. It's hilarious it really is. Some guys think they're the NSX speed police and need to tell us "your car isn't that fast it's only a little V6". I mean damn! jond posted this because he was surprised:rolleyes: He didn't come on here saying an NSX will beat a C6 Corvette in every situation all the time.

Interesting thread this has turned into...

First, a lot of people are talking about pre-97 NSX's. Let's keep this about the 3.2L to keep things simple.

Second, I don't know what to say. I beat a C6 twice. TopGear beat the C6, and CarandDriver says the 1/4 mile times are .2 seconds different. If anyone doubts all this, why not go try it yourself and report back?

Probably because you and topgear got the same "monster/freak NSX":biggrin:

that's why i keep coming back to this forum...the fun stuff we read and how loyal we are to the NSX...

though i've sold mine and bought a C6, i still enjoy the looks and elegance of the NSX over the C6. however, when it comes to fast, the C6 is pant-wetting fast.

in my opinion, it all depends on the driver AND being in the right gear at the right time...

i've recently seen an older topgear episode on the Euro EVO (400hp)....even the murcielago couldn't pass it on a closed course.

however, they did a test with the EVO and a rented econobox (probably around 100hp)

they both floored the gas at a rolling 30mph and guess what? the EVO couldn't catch the econobox in the 1+ miles they've traveled. why? EVO struggled the whole time because it rolled in 6th gear. the rpm never picked up so the massive torque was never tapped.

without knowing what gear the corvette owner was in or how he drove, there's really was no comparison...

lastly, the NSX doesn't have to beat the C6 in a straight line in order to be a better car...it has won the hearts of many...period. heck, if we compare displacement, the NSX has already won...290hp with a 3.2l...i only got 400hp from my 6.0l...chevy owes me at least another 100 horses :)

that's why i'm checking out NSXs for sale everyday....i hope to catch one soon...

please continue to support Apple so i can cash out soon :)

that's why i keep coming back to this forum...the fun stuff we read and how loyal we are to the NSX...

though i've sold mine and bought a C6, i still enjoy the looks and elegance of the NSX over the C6. however, when it comes to fast, the C6 is pant-wetting fast.

I agree. The NSX is beautiful and elegant, but it is dated and mildly underpowered. If only you could have the power and technology of the C6 with the beauty and elegance of the NSX.

oh wait, you can.. its called the R8. :) maybe one day....

First:
- To the mods, etc. The following events took place on my closed test track.
- To all the people who are going to say how I put the public in harm, how I'm a menace to society, etc. Please note above. And note(knock on wood), in 17 years of driving, I've never had so much as a speeding ticket. I'm a safe driver.

So I was heading back from the gym, windows down cruising in 6th gear at a pretty slow pace just enjoying the weather when I spot this shinny red C6 Corvette coming up behind me. He passes me with the furry and then lets off it. I wake up a little bit, sit up, and go catch him.

So I've never raced a new Corvette before. This wasn't a Z06, but still the new C6 has 400hp and runs around a 12.7 1/4 mile. It should be nose to nose given the 1/4 mile times I would think, but in all honesty, I expect him to take me by a little. I mean, 290hp vs 400hp. Duh...

So he gets in the right lane. We're cruising at a brisk 80mph. I'm in 6th gear. I drop it to 5th being I can't very well race in 6th. I quickly realize 5th isn't going to do it, so I try 4th. Geeze!!! I'm still not near the mysterious vtec, so I ease into 3rd, and what do ya know, 6,000rpm. PERFECT.

I ease up beside him, we look at each other, I give the sign and we floor it. I take it up to the rev limiter and let off. I'm around 1/2 - 3/4 car lengths in front of him. Muhahahhah. Let's give this another go, shall we? We line back up for a second go, we nail it, I'm pulling on the vette as before. This time I shift at redline and give 4th gear a bit of playtime(only for a second). When I let off, I'm a solid car length in front.

We chill out, the corvette pulls up, gives me a thumbs up, and that was that.

So yeah, how the physics work out that 290hp is faster than 400hp, I'm not sure. But it is the case. At least in terms of 3rd gear pulls at speed.

For those curious, my car is 99% stock. I have an intake(but with the stock paper cleaner), and a flowmaster welded to the stock pipes. I shouldn't have a bit more than the stock HP.
You have a closed test track?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I raced a friend's C6 just the other day for about 1/8th of a mile in a closed industrial park twice. I left him off the line everytime, and the gap increased more and more the faster we went. I was a full 3-4 car lengths ahead by the end. I wasn't even shifting fast or dropping the clutch because I don't like being hard on the car. Now I think the cars weigh about the same, we have roughly the same HP... maybe I have a bit more with the CTSC. But he was not able to keep up AT ALL. I don't know why... Isn't a C6 around 3300 pounds at 400 HP? He was shocked at how badly I was beating him and so was I.

I raced a friend's C6 just the other day for about 1/8th of a mile in a closed industrial park twice. I left him off the line everytime, and the gap increased more and more the faster we went. I was a full 3-4 car lengths ahead by the end. I wasn't even shifting fast or dropping the clutch because I don't like being hard on the car. Now I think the cars weigh about the same, we have roughly the same HP... maybe I have a bit more with the CTSC. But he was not able to keep up AT ALL. I don't know why... Isn't a C6 around 3300 pounds at 400 HP? He was shocked at how badly I was beating him and so was I.

Sigh! Come on Dave NSXs just aren't that fast. I'm sure if you went to the drag strip or the track you would see an NSX could never even if it was NA/Turbo'd or supercharged keep up with a C6 unless the guy was

1. A bad driver
2. Car was an auto
3. Kept it in 6th gear the whole time each time

It's JUST NOT POSSIBLE. You NSX guys are just dreaming thinking your car could ever hang with any of the newer cars. Heck a Cobalt SS with tires could hang an NSX. :rolleyes:

Hard to say why. The Mid engine design should launch better than the vette (the vette will just spin its tires).

My guess is the average CTSC NSX puts down around 340rwhp which is pretty close to a C6 6-speed. (new autorotor are closer to 360-375 -- more than the C6, similar to a 2008 c6) My guess is it is a drivers match with the two cars when you go past 1/4 mile.

CTSC are fantastic cars. That is how I would go if I were to do it again.

Many of you guys are embarrassing. :frown: Embarrassing to this list and to NSX owners in general.

For those who are attempting to help by talking about FI cars... it doesn't help. It just confuses those who are easily confused.

If anyone wants to say a stock NSX (3.0 or 3.2) can run with a stock C06, why not show some et slips? When none of yours say anything below 13.5 or so and the C6s ones ALL are below 13.5 (even if they get a bad launch) and many in the 12s, maybe then you'll have your answer.

Thanks for the entertainment. Please, really, continue on discussing how "some people just don't get" how 290hp is close to the same (or even better on Top Gear) than 400hp (in cars of similar weight). So long.

Once again, that is the FASTEST NSX EVER TESTED IN A MAGAZINE. Find just ONE more that is anywhere close to that.

The Zanardi did it in 34 seconds. So unless a Zanardi can brake from 150-0 in 1.9 seconds, I don't think it would be anywhere close to that time.

I love the NSX as much as any of you, but at least I am realistic to the capabilites of other cars.

even if that was the fastest NSX my point was you undestated the fact and that that nsx was so slow... a 270 HP nsx against 505 zo6 is not an equal battle... a 420 whp NSX against 505 bhp z06 I think a scene to see...

Last edited:
even if that was the fastest NSX my point was you undestated the fact and that that nsx was so slow... a 270 HP nsx against 505 zo6 is not an equal battle... a 420 whp NSX against 505 bhp z06 I think a scene to see...

I am not sure I understand your point.

I never said the NSX was slow, I just said it was slower than a C6 in both 1/4 mile and 0-150. I have proved that point.

A 420rwhp NSX is still down about 30rhwp to a stock Z06. The only NSX's I have ever seen equal a Z06 trap speed were turbocharged cars.

But honestly, comparing stock to FI is pointless. For 5K you can throw a SC on a vette and make 550rwhp.

Have you ever run your car in the 1/4 mile? Sounds like it should fly. My NSX had 412rwhp. I never got the chance to run it in the 1/4.

Many of you guys are embarrassing. :frown: Embarrassing to this list and to NSX owners in general.

For those who are attempting to help by talking about FI cars... it doesn't help. It just confuses those who are easily confused.

If anyone wants to say a stock NSX (3.0 or 3.2) can run with a stock C06, why not show some et slips? When none of yours say anything below 13.5 or so and the C6s ones ALL are below 13.5 (even if they get a bad launch) and many in the 12s, maybe then you'll have your answer.

Thanks for the entertainment. Please, really, continue on discussing how "some people just don't get" how 290hp is close to the same (or even better on Top Gear) than 400hp (in cars of similar weight). So long.

C'ya!

My 92 (even if it was stock) is still competing with a car that is almost brand new... so i may be underdog but thats alright, Im driving NSX... :cool: ... im suppossed to race this 600 WHP supercharged zo6 but i still have to wait 2 months cause he blew his tranny again for the 3rd time (5k repair)... and his z06 is an 06...

OK. I have done my research and I will post my findings. Like I said, finding a 0-150 time for the 91-94 NSX is near impossible.

Here is what I found.

April 1994 R&T 1994 NSX 0-100 14.4 0-100-0 19.0 (fyi, a ZR1 did it in 17.3)

R&T 1991 Sports car and GT, 1991 NSX 0-100 14.0 1/4 14.0 @100 MPH

May 1997 MT, 1997 NSX-T 0-100 11.8, 0-100-0 16.3 (FYI 97 vette did it in 11.1/15.7). The NSX also hit 150.2 NSX in 34.0 seconds.

1996 R7T Sports and GT, 1996 NSX-T 0-100 13.1 1/4 14.0 @ 103.5

1993 R&T sports and GT, 1993 NSX 0-100 14.0 1/4 14.0 @ 100

July 1997, 97 NSX-T 0-100 11.7 0-150 38.6

August 1994, 94 NSX 0-100 12.6 1/4 13.6 @ 105.7

Sept 2002 1997 Comptech NSX-T (claimed 460HP -- yeah right), 0-100 10.3 0-150 28.8 (i put the 0-100 and 100-150 times together) not sure how accurate that is, however, they said 100-150 was 9.8 seconds faster than a stock 97 NSX. That puts 100-150 @ 26.9. They said stock 0-100 was 11.7. That puts a stock NSX at 0-150 @ 38.6 done the same method.

August 1998... THE IMFAMOUS NSX...
1998 NSX coupe, 0-100 10.6 0-150 28.2 -- faster than the 460HP CTSC above... still 3 seconds slower than the 05 vette.

March 1996, MT, modified NSX (91-94) 0-100 11.6, 1/4 13.2 @ 108.7 0-100-0 @ 16.2 this car made 273 RWHP est 338HP crank.

Feb 1997, R&T, 0-100 11.7, 0-110 14.0 1/4 13.5 @ 108 MPH

Car and Driver, Zanardi NSX 0-100 11.8, 1/4 13.2 @ 106, 0-150 34.7

The point of posting all of this is two fold.
1) It shows the 97 NSX for the most part is a good bit quicker than the 91-94 and even a modded one. (most of us that have owned/driven na1 v na2 already know that)
2) it shows the majority of 97+ NSX 0-150 times are between 34-38 seconds. If you take out the fastest and take out the slowest, you are right about 34 seconds. Pretty close to what I said.

Anyway, I still love the NSX and I had a blast in them this weekend. I sure miss the extra 2000 RPM and the sound is to die for...

Last edited:
My 92 (even if it was stock) is still competing with a car that is almost brand new... so i may be underdog but thats alright, Im driving NSX... :cool: ... im suppossed to race this 600 WHP supercharged zo6 but i still have to wait 2 months cause he blew his tranny again for the 3rd time (5k repair)... and his z06 is an 06...

Put your NSX at 600rwhp and see how long the parts last... I can think of more than a few that have gone boom very quickly... and not the tranny.. OH, and repairs for the NSX are A LOT more than a chevy. I hope you never have to experience that.

When you do get to race him, film it so we can all watch.

Put your NSX at 600rwhp and see how long the parts last... I can think of more than a few that have gone boom very quickly... and not the tranny.. OH, and repairs for the NSX are A LOT more than a chevy. I hope you never have to experience that.

When you do get to race him, film it so we can all watch.

The Lovefab turbo applications seem to be holding up well so far. Tinker219 has just been trying to blow his up for...ahem durability testing.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Top ten reasons why people hate street racing stories:
People really hate street racing stories:

1) When the NSX wins.

2) They don't have a NSX and the NSX wins.

3) if they bought a crummy example of a NSX and they can't win.

4) if the NSX wins and they have no clue how to drive their NSX and can't win.

5) if the NSX won and they modded their NSX and all they did was make it slower, or worse yet, blew it up because they didn't know what they were doing AND can only blame the car because they don't have a clue.

6) They have no NSX, can only afford something less expensive to buy own and maintain and want that to be faster so they can say how crappy the NSX is since they can't get a good one.

7) if the NSX wins and they have a automatic NSX and can't win.

8) when the NSX wins and they had a NSX but forgot NO TO LIFT and they crashed theirs.

9)if the NSX wins and they own crappy cars like a RX7 or 350Z and want them to be considered equal to the NSX.

10) when the NSX wins and the closest they can get to the real thing is turning the pages of some car mag drooling over the road tests while sitting on the toilet dreaming of making a big splash in life.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congrats jond

Last edited:
Back