• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs C6 vs Carrera S

I've been looking at getting an 02 NSX ... but sometimes can't help thinking about the new C6. Anyway, I came across MotorWeek's road tests for the 02 NSX and then lookup up the C6 which happened to be tested against the 05 Carrera S. The number surprised me a little ... I thought the new C6 would blow the Carrera and NSX out of the water but it sure doesn't look like it. Just an observation ... that's all.

0-60
05 Carrera S: 4.2
05 Corvette: 4.8
02 NSX: 5.0

1/4 mile Run
05 Carrera S: 12.8 @ 109 mph
02 NSX: 13.1 @ 109 mph
05 Corvette: 13.2 @ 112 mph

0-60 and 1/4 mile run info is from Motorweek's Road Test below:
NSX Road Test on Motorweek
C6 & Carrera S Road Test on Motorweek

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
imho gearing differences is what makes these numbers surprising. In 1998 or 1999, C&D did a 0-150-0 comparo and the NSX came in 2nd or 3rd in front of C5, Camaro and Porsche and behind the Viper (and maybe another car I cannot remember now). The C5 and Camaro both had that very tall 5th gear that killed their performance.

I think your 1/4 mile time for the NSX is too optimistic. I would guess its more in the 13.3-13.6 range.

NSXLuvr said:
I think your 1/4 mile time for the NSX is too optimistic. I would guess its more in the 13.3-13.6 range.
Most magazine tests on the '97-05 NSX-T show it in the 13.1-13.3 range. And slightly less than that for the '97-01 NSX Coupe (now discontinued in North America).

agt86 said:
I've been looking at getting an 02 NSX ... but sometimes can't help thinking about the new C6. Anyway, I came across MotorWeek's road tests for the 02 NSX and then lookup up the C6 which happened to be tested against the 05 Carrera S. The number surprised me a little ... I thought the new C6 would blow the Carrera and NSX out of the water but it sure doesn't look like it. Just an observation ... that's all.

0-60
05 Carrera S: 4.2
05 Corvette: 4.8
02 NSX: 5.0

1/4 mile Run
05 Carrera S: 12.8 @ 109 mph
02 NSX: 13.1 @ 109 mph
05 Corvette: 13.2 @ 112 mph

0-60 and 1/4 mile run info is from Motorweek's Road Test below:
NSX Road Test on Motorweek
C6 & Carrera S Road Test on Motorweek

:rolleyes:
check out this month's issue of road and track. nice comparison of i think 6 or 7 different cars including 2 porsches and C6.

I have a 95-t thats mostly stock with the addition of headers and exhaust. I'm not an experienced drag racer and I'm still new to my car. I ran a 13.6 at Gulfport dragway recently. I don't think a 13.1-2 is at all unrealistic for a 02 NSX.

Tony F
Mobile AL

The 02 NSX is very quick. There are just not enough magazine tests of 02+ to really compare numbers, but a 109 MPH 1/4 is smoking fast for a NSX.

Lining them up though, the Carerra S and C6 are both faster 1/4 mile cars. No question.

I have not had a chance to drive either car, but I would be surprised if they equal the overall driving experience the NSX provides.

Last edited:
I think you need to compare test from the same magazine to get a closer representation, but even that is not always accurate. Following are times from various Road and Track tests:

NSX (tested 3/02)
0-60: 5.0
0-100: 12.0
1/4 mile: [email protected]

C6 Coupe (tested 3/05)
0-60: 4.5
0-100: 9.8

997 Carrera S (tested 3/05)
0-60: 3.9
0-100: 9.6

Note: R&T previously tested another Carrera S that was markedly slower, but stated it was probably not broken in, since it only had 1200 miles on the clock. They also dyno tested this very quick example and it backed up the factory hp rating.

At higher speeds, the NSX really gets left behind. Following are 0 to 150 mph acceleration times published by Car and Driver:

97 NSX-T (7/97): 36.6 seconds (should have similar acceleration as a 2002)
96 NSX-T 3.0 (7/95): 45.5 seconds
C6 Coupe (12/04): 25 secconds
997S (11/04): 26.4 seconds

Clearly, the NSX is not in the same league as the C6 and Carrera S from an acceleration standpoint. I have witnessed a 997S and C6 easily walk away from a new NSX from a roll. :mad:

Keep in mind, there is more to a sports car than just pure acceleration. You should consider the complete package (power, handling, braking, dynamics, workmanship and etc.). This is where the NSX excels in blending good performances in all these categories. WIth that said, the C6 Coupe is definitely an excellent value for the money. The C6 easily eclipses the NSX in all statistical performance parameters. Also, you can get a brand new C6 with Z51 for probably $5-10k less than a used 02' NSX.

However, you will see a C6 on every street corner. I hardly ever see an NSX driving around, let alone an 02+ version.

Which is more important to you?

C6: great overall performance, low price and making friends with lots of fellow C6 owners at every street corner.

NSX: good overall performance, excellent quality and loneliness waiting to see another NSX driving down the street. :wink:

NetViper said:
I have not had a chance to drive either car, but I would be surprised if they equal the overall driving experience the NSX provides.

The 997S really is a nice car. In my opinion, it is a level above the NSX as an overall sports car and a better value. It really is disappointing that Honda does not have the interest or balls to seriously update the NSX and make it competitive as we have discussed on other threads. :frown:

I don't see a whole lot of C6's now ... but that's probably because we still have rain/snow/ice in the mid-west ... but I expect that there'll be quite a few on the road when spring is here. I definitely like the fact that the NSX is a rare well built car.

CerberusM5 said:
It really is disappointing that Honda does not have the interest or balls to seriously update the NSX and make it competitive as we have discussed on other threads. :frown:

Did you happen to check out the NSX-R GT? :biggrin:

agt86 said:
I don't see a whole lot of C6's now ... but that's probably because we still have rain/snow/ice in the mid-west ... but I expect that there'll be quite a few on the road when spring is here. I definitely like the fact that the NSX is a rare well built car.

In Las Vegas, I literally see a dozen a day if I am out driving around. There are used C6s on most of the larger dealer lots. They are very plentiful here to say the least.

CerberusM5 said:
The 997S really is a nice car. In my opinion, it is a level above the NSX as an overall sports car and a better value.

Ive not driven a new 911, but everything Ive read certainly points to it being a higher performance car than an NSX. However, I would suggest that the "real" cost of an NSX is less than that of the new 911, so the better value becomes a toss-up.

I just cannot believe that NSX's sell for close to their list. The lease promotion makes the NSX a dramatically cheaper car and I would think that purchasing one would not be much different. In either event, although its a performance step down from the new 911 (on par with the 996), I bet its a good price point down also.

All I know is that I just bought my 02 for equal what I would have purchased an equivalent 996 C4S for, so thats my value benchmark.

CerberusM5 said:
997 Carrera S (tested 3/05)
0-60: 3.9
0-100: 9.6
Every once in a while, a single test comes up with figures that are way off from all the other tests, and this is one of them. The Carrera S should test no faster than the C6. (The GT3 and of course the GT2 are a different story, but not the Carrera S.) Consensus figures are usually around 4.4-4.6 for the C6, 4.5-4.7 for the Carrera S, and 4.8-4.9 for the NSX-T.

When it comes out this fall, the Z06 version of the C6 should be in Viper and 911 Turbo territory (probably somewhere around 3.8-4.0).

nsxtasy said:
Every once in a while, a single test comes up with figures that are way off from all the other tests, and this is one of them. The Carrera S should test no faster than the C6. (The GT3 and of course the GT2 are a different story, but not the Carrera S.) Consensus figures are usually around 4.4-4.6 for the C6, 4.5-4.7 for the Carrera S, and 4.8-4.9 for the NSX-T.

When it comes out this fall, the Z06 version of the C6 should be in Viper and 911 Turbo territory (probably somewhere around 3.8-4.0).

Hey Ken,
I was very surprised to see the numbers the 997S put up as well. The 0-60 time was as quick as an all wheel drive 996 turbo. However, I would think the Carrera S is good for low 4 seconds though, due to its relatively stout powerband and rear engine platform.

I would assume you agree that the 98 NSX Coupe that Car and Driver tested in their 0-150-0 comparo was extraordinarily fast and not representative of typical performance?

CerberusM5 said:
Hey Ken,
I would assume you agree that the 98 NSX Coupe that Car and Driver tested in their 0-150-0 comparo was extraordinarily fast and not representative of typical performance?

No NSX ever tested has ever equaled the times by that silver 98 coupe. Not even any Zanardi - which should be faster.

I think it is pretty much a given that a 97+ NSX-T will run about 106-108 MPH Stock.

i believe the porsche to be a true sports car. i have a 2003 c4 all wheel drive convertible. my nsx is a 95. it is easy to feel the power, acceleration and cornering ability of the porsche. the nsx is somewhat of a better looking car, in that it is a more exotic looking vehicle. but i think all that own a nsx are somewhat disappointed when we talk of its power, or lack there of. the nsx is a cornering machine though. i would think more so than the rear wheel drive porsche but about equal to the 4 wheel drive version. i love them both, the nsx for its looks and the looks it gets. the convertible for the pure fun behind the wheel and the feeling i get when i press the accelerator and feel as though i have gained an extra hundred pounds. to each his own, but if i had to chose, i would pick the porsche with the nsx parked in the summer home..... :biggrin:

CerberusM5 said:
I was very surprised to see the numbers the 997S put up as well. The 0-60 time was as quick as an all wheel drive 996 turbo. However, I would think the Carrera S is good for low 4 seconds though, due to its relatively stout powerband and rear engine platform.
There is no reason that the 997S should put up numbers that beat a GT3 or a 996TT (or a C6 Corvette, for that matter). Those cars have a significantly better power-to-weight ratio. The GT3 is a low four second car (around 4.3) and the C6 should be about the same (despite that particular test showing it at 4.8, which is a typical time for a C5 Corvette and thus seems to be significantly worse than what one would expect). The 997S shouldn't be, and the test where it got 3.9 seems to be off by a good six tenths of a second, based on how other models have tested, maybe slightly more.

Once it's been on the market long enough for a bunch of magazine tests to be available, we'll get a better sense of what the "consensus figures" are.

CerberusM5 said:
Perhaps, but the difference there (from the numbers that it should be achieving) is no more than about two tenths of a second.

NetViper said:
No NSX ever tested has ever equaled the times by that silver 98 coupe. Not even any Zanardi - which should be faster.

I think it is pretty much a given that a 97+ NSX-T will run about 106-108 MPH Stock.

I recall a TV magazine video of a 01 Y/B doing a similar 1/4 time and ET at 12.9@110mph.

45 Psi!

Slightly off-topic, but since this test was brought up...
NetViper said:
Not even any Zanardi - which should be faster.
I’m not sure if anyone else noticed, but the rear tire pressure was very high when Car & Driver tested the Zanardi: 45 PSI instead of the recommended 40 PSI. At least one other test by Car & Driver (of a non-Zanardi) used the recommended pressure.

Assuming this was not a mistake in Zanardi article, the smaller contact patch from the higher pressure might help explain why the Zanardi’s acceleration numbers were not much better than the NSX-T. Of course, factors such as environmental conditions and the number of miles on the fresh engine have a significant effect, as well.

I wonder how many miles that 1998 coupe had when it was tested. With a few thousand miles on the odometer, the performance numbers seem easier to explain. Just like the improved numbers from the 997S Road & Track recently tested:
At the test track, the Carrera S posted some awesome acceleration numbers: zero to 60 mph in 3.9 sec. and 12.3 to the quarter (we got a 4.4 and 12.8, respectively, in a previous test). These numbers were so extraordinary that we took the car to MD Automotive in Westminster, California, to measure the Carrera S’s output on the dynamometer. No steroid controversy here, the car came away clean. The only explanation for the difference in acceleration times is that this particular engine had a proper break-in period (it had 5400 miles on the odometer as opposed to the 1200 miles on our previous test car).

Last edited:
I test drove a C6 recently to see if I would like it better than the NSX. It is a faster car and faster feeling off the line and the numbers bear that out, but IMO you certainly can't go by the numbers unless you drag race for a living.

The Corvette is a completly different driving experience. Some may like it better, I suspect the people who own or are thinking of an NSX won't be impressed.

I came to the conclusion that it is a fast Chevy. And for what I want out of my driving experience I believe I'd get tired of it quickly.

You need to drive both and decide.

Back