• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. EVO VIII

I have both too, NSX and EVO VIII and both car is great.
I need to wait until everything done for my EVO ith all ralliart parts modds. But I'm sure when we drive over 130mph the NSX has better handling because frame construction lower to the ground.

NSX07, is your Zanardi has Comptech Supercharger ?

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to share my recent EVO vs. NSX experiences.

Last fall I took a few quarter mile runs against a friend's EVO. Both are cars were essentially stock. He was much quicker out of the hole and I was never able to make that up. I was running 13.8s and he was running 13.1s.

Fast forward to last night. I was out with some fellow enthusiasts for my usual Wednesday GTG. There was a different EVO out and we were on a spirited drive. Recalling this thread and my prior experience, I decided to confirm my belief in the NSX's high-speed superiority.

The EVO came up right behind me when I was doing about 80 MPH. I downshifted to 3rd and stomped on the gas, as did he (although he would have been only able to go down to 4th). By the time I shut down at 110, I was at least 4-5 car lengths ahead and getting farther ahead as we got faster. We talked about it a little later, and he was impressed with the NSXs legs at high speed. Gearing was the advantage. AFAIK, his car was relatively stock and he was trying.

For what it's worth, I ran with an EVO (unknown if modded) with my stock 03 NSX. We did two runs from dead stop to about 70. I pulled him both times, but not my much. Pretty much neck in neck off the line and through first gear, started to pull him by about 2 car lengths when I backed off at about 70. Those cars definately run strong....

As the sales manager of an acura delaership I am allowed to drive what every I want and recently Im in love with a silver 2003 evo as my demo. The power is immediate in every gear.. First gear has slight turbo lag but nothing to take away from the experience. The gears are very small and for around town driving Im constantly shifting gears. I hate to admit it, but as nice as this weekend was the NSX sat inside the garage as I rocked the EVO like it was going out of style! The wing is wild and turns heads everywhere it goes! I would never ever trade but if I needed a practical second car, sign me up! Im a huge fan of DSM turbo power and definatly give the EVO a two thumbs up recommendtion!!!

For a stock EVO VIII & stock NSX, I think 0 ~ 60 is almost the same; however, EVO will lead a bit. **BUT** after 60mph, NSX will just pull the distance...that's what I saw in Best Motoring Japan. EVO is made for the short gear monster. If we are talking about the real speed which are 0~60 or even more than 120 mph, I think the feeling of driving NSX is much exciting than EVO VIII. By the way, I saw new NSX-R beats GTR-34 in 1/4 mile. That's very impressived tho ... :p

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
As the sales manager of an acura delaership I am allowed to drive what every I want and recently Im in love with a silver 2003 evo as my demo. The power is immediate in every gear.. First gear has slight turbo lag but nothing to take away from the experience. The gears are very small and for around town driving Im constantly shifting gears. I hate to admit it, but as nice as this weekend was the NSX sat inside the garage as I rocked the EVO like it was going out of style! The wing is wild and turns heads everywhere it goes! I would never ever trade but if I needed a practical second car, sign me up! Im a huge fan of DSM turbo power and definatly give the EVO a two thumbs up recommendtion!!!

Is that car on your lot for sale as 'never beat on' if customers ask?? LOL!! :D

For those wondering about high speed stability, I was able to run my Evo 8 at its maximum of 155 mph for a distance of about 20 miles straight and it was one of the most stable cars I have ever driven. It was every bit as good as the NSX at high speeds. I would still have that Evo if Mitsubishi did not have their heads up their butts when it comes to servicing their customers properly. :mad:

First, let me remove the driver from the equation, even though we're talking performance... because in most situations the driver has a LOT more to do with who wins, or posts the best times, than the car -- I've had guys in s2000s zip by me on the track when I was in my 996 tt -- why? way better drivers than me.

All that said, having driven both, the NSX is more expensive, looks better, and with the right suspension should take the car on the track or in a drag. That is, unless you're in a situation where awd brings an advantge to the evo. You also have much better build quality on the NSX and no turbo to worry about; but, then, you pay a lot more too.

Overall subjective opinion: NSX looks far better, is faster is most cases, is more fun to drive, etc; that said, I have a lot of respect for the evo and sti, especially given the price point.

Meeyatch1 said:
For those wondering about high speed stability, I was able to run my Evo 8 at its maximum of 155 mph for a distance of about 20 miles straight and it was one of the most stable cars I have ever driven.

Where do you get away with that?:)

You had to know I would find this thread :D Anyway C&D is doing there supercar shootout with the Z06TT, Renntech, TT Vipers and guess what else? A Vishnu prepped EVO on PUMP gas. I think you will be inpressed with this car puts out on the track and on the test for the GT35R Turbo. I am working on specing out a evo now, looking for a tranny that will hold 700HP at the track, and not the 1/4. I am going to build a evo that will take out a GT3 race car lolrof. Ya it has 285 slicks all around, Olins coil overs, a built motor and new diffs. Should cost about 20-30k and kill anything at the track. Wish me luck

Ryanmcd2 said:
You had to know I would find this thread :D Anyway C&D is doing there supercar shootout with the Z06TT, Renntech, TT Vipers and guess what else? A Vishnu prepped EVO on PUMP gas. I think you will be inpressed with this car puts out on the track and on the test for the GT35R Turbo. I am working on specing out a evo now, looking for a tranny that will hold 700HP at the track, and not the 1/4. I am going to build a evo that will take out a GT3 race car lolrof. Ya it has 285 slicks all around, Olins coil overs, a built motor and new diffs. Should cost about 20-30k and kill anything at the track. Wish me luck

But at the end of the day... you will still drive an evo :rolleyes:

Ryanmcd2 said:
lol. My evo SUCKS!

We'll see what happens on roebling road... heh heh (evil laugh)... :D

Hopefully you won't lap me too many times :)

Naa, it's not that fast :D Come out it will be a blast! I am trying to get some of the evo dead beats to come out, I think I have 2 so far.

NetViper said:
We'll see what happens on roebling road... heh heh (evil laugh)... :D

Hopefully you won't lap me too many times :)

Heck...I don't know, Ryan...I did respectable laps in my slow ass NSX at Roebling, don't ya think?

Last edited:
You were kicking ass, even Mark lol. You were 5 seconds off of the GT3 and I think my sucky driving I was 6-8 seconds off of you at LEAST. So let's finish this year out then I will make the best. Still working on the right turbo now because I don't want to have big lag going from 4th to 5th and it looks like it might be that way but I am not 100% sure. Also there is a dyno day this Saturday at that place up 75N, it's Saturday and they are having a cook out and everything. Let me know if you have nothing to do and want to stop by :D here is the link

http://www.dyno4mance.com/

DONYMO said:
Heck...I don't know, Ryan...I did respectable laps in my slow ass NSX at Roebling, don't ya think?

Ryanmcd2 said:

Good for you. I would like to hear some results when finished.

I was behind a EVO VIII in one of my track days (I'm pretty sure he's pushing it hard since its Advanced group) at Pacific Raceway last summer. Overall, I think the performance of the two cars are similar except that Evo accelerates faster below 100mph, but the X will be a tap faster once it reaches 105mph.......finally, he lets me pass on the main straight b/c I'm always on its ass once we hit turn 2....I guess he felt intimidated...hehe...j/k
And yes, my car's stock except Tein RA and some minor suspension upgrade.

Meeyatch1 said:
Is that car on your lot for sale as 'never beat on' if customers ask?? LOL!! :D

My demos are always the first cars to sell. Maybe becuase I drive the nicest cars we have but they always sell very quick. The EVO is a very fast car, we currently have 3 in stock. (shameless plug) :wink: 0-60 the EVO will spank an NSX but past 60mph its another story. Ive taken out some high-dollar rides in EVO's but overall the NSX is still an NSX :biggrin:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
My demos are always the first cars to sell. Maybe becuase I drive the nicest cars we have but they always sell very quick. The EVO is a very fast car, we currently have 3 in stock. (shameless plug) :wink: 0-60 the EVO will spank an NSX but past 60mph its another story. Ive taken out some high-dollar rides in EVO's but overall the NSX is still an NSX :biggrin:

Evo with a few mods and an NSX with a few mods (w/ a full tank and a 200lb passenger)
= Evo spanking, even from a dead stop :biggrin:

I just sold my '04 stock STi in February after having it for exactly one year, to buy my '94 stock NSX.
Let's face it, they're completely different cars. I could put both kids and the wife in it, and the trunk was huge. Build quality was better than I expected, but I didn't like the seats much. The STi was quick off the line, (if you wanted to drop the clutch at 5500 Revs), otherwise with the AWD it would bog. I didn't want to replace the clutch at 7500 miles, so I only did that a few times. The STi rode like a truck, understeered like crazy in slow to medium speed turns, but the stock Brembos were pretty good. I raced it in a TCRA event at Willow Springs and did pretty well. I just didn't like every high-school kid giving me the thumbs up at every stop light.
The NSX is much more sophisticated, handles much better, sounds MUCH better, (hated that flat four Subie sound), and I can't wait to take it to the track. Can't take the wife and kids in it or fill the trunk with much, but then, that's not all bad. That's what my wife's MDX is for. And now it's just a bunch of middle-aged guys like me giving me the thumbs up !

well I have an Evo VIII now, its an incredible car. with a stock turbine I can still beat porsche carrera c2, z06, grand am, sti, v8 s4, and keeps up with a 360 modena until 140 mph. The stock turbine if tuned correctly with supporting mods has little turbo lag. The top end of the evo8 lacks because of its 5th gear and lower gearing as some of you have mentioned. Evo8 has awesome performance for the price. BUT consider this: evo8 maxed out on stock turbo is a fast car but you have to deal with replacing parts as they break down, tickets - fix it and traffic, constant maintenance - rebuilding coilovers, tires, brakes, oil, fluids, etc., putting race gas $4.99 IF YOU can find a place with 100 octane, no warranty, replacing the clutch before 10K miles, and generally not being very comfortable when you are driving it. Having a good 350WHP relatively reliably on an evo will cost you $5-6K. Its cost effective and loads of fun, but the nsx just turns heads.

The evo is a superior vehicle at its price - the brakes are superb, the turbo makes for enjoyable driving, and the awd and handling makes it awesome to drive through the twisties. This is the car you take out just to DRIVE because it is so much damn fun to drive it. I remember I would just drive it on a sunny day just to experience the fun factor. The evo8 I would highly recommend but its not for everyone! Its a fun performance oriented driver's car. The NSX on the other hand is refined, older, and looks a ton better. They really are in different classes as one is more exotic, rwd, mid NA v6 engine, and older. The other is a race car, awd, front turbocharged inline 4 cylinder, and a new car with new rally breed technology. I would sort of compare rally (EVO8) to f1 (NSX).

JDM NSX said:
well I have an Evo VIII now, its an incredible car. with a stock turbine I can still beat porsche carrera c2, z06, grand am, sti, v8 s4, and keeps up with a 360 modena until 140 mph.

You are telling us that an EVO will beat a Z06??? I'm sorry, but there is no way. :rolleyes:

I raced quite afew Evo VII and VIII's with my STi, it was always close and depended who got the best start. I raced 3 Z-06's, a couple of 993/996 TT's, but never did manage to beat one. However, if I had spent $5 or $6K and raised the output to 350-370hp, I think I could of !

Back