• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. Ferrari 328 GTS

I can honestly state that given the choice I would not be interested in a Lambo, Ferrari or a Lotus over a NSX.

If I had an more money than I knew what to do with those cars just wouldn't be on my list.

-Jim

PS: Although that Lotus Elise with the Honda VTEC engine sounds pretty neat.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I can honestly state that given the choice I would not be interested in a Lambo, Ferrari or a Lotus over a NSX.

If I had an more money than I knew what to do with those cars just wouldn't be on my list.

-Jim

PS: Although that Lotus Elise with the Honda VTEC engine sounds pretty neat.

Ditto.

Don't get me wrong though, they are nice cars... they just don't appeal to me like the NSX does... just my opinion and personal taste.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Not according to the magazines. Test numbers for the current V8 Esprit (not Espirit) are the same as the current NSX (usually around 4.6 for 0-60, thirteen even in the quarter). BTW, the same is also true of the BMW Z8.

With all due respect, Ken, not true. The following were the reported 0-60/1/4 mile times (respectfully):
Road & Track (9/97): 4.4/13.0 seconds
C&D (1/98): 4.3/12.7 seconds
Motor Trend (5/98): 4.4/12.8 seconds
These acceleration times are faster than those reported for the NSX by each of these magazines. As I recall, this was also true of Autoweek's review.
From a personal standpoint, my 98 Espirit Turbo ran consistent 4.3/12.7 second 0-60 and 1/4 mile times respectfully-faster than any of my NSXs. In fact, only my Viper and 94 911 3.6 Turbo were faster. Having said that, let me add that it was a piece of junk with the build quality and reliability of a Yugo.

Originally posted by Pittsburgh Steeler Fan:
Having said that, let me add that it was a piece of junk with the build quality and reliability of a Yugo.

True. While I have considerable respect for the history of the company and their many accomplishments back in the days of giants, when I drive a modern Lotus I am afraid to slam the door for fear that the door handle on the other side might fall offf.

Great comments!I owned 3 lotus, 1 elan a major piece of crap and 2 esprits a 94 and a 95s both were major problems. I eventually sued lotus and got my money back 100%. I would drive the 95 for 30 minutes and it would shut down . Frustrating !!!! They sent there tech from Atlanta and claim to have reparied the car but to no avail. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LOTUS PRODUCT EVER AGAIN. On that note, I have also owned a 92 348 f car and a 355. both proved to be wonderful cars with the exception of the $3000.00 tune ups and $2,500 belt change and so on. But hey, I knew going in that there was a price to ride thse beautiful ladies. I now own a 02 nsx and appreciate its simplicity and funcionality. If you've never owned an F car, go for it there is nothing like it.

Originally posted by Pittsburgh Steeler Fan:
These acceleration times are faster than those reported for the NSX by each of these magazines.

But by one tenth of a second or two. Heck, Car and Driver tested the '98 and '01 NSX both at 4.5/12.9 - a quicker 1/4 mile figure than Road & Track's for the Lotus. That's hardly what I would call "blowing away" the NSX, to use Allan's terminology. Anything that's within a tenth of a second or so is only about the same, not significantly faster.

Eggman, You never stated your primary reason for your purchase. I would give you two different answers.

I have owned both, and I liked both of them for different reasons. I have listed the good side of both. The insurnace costs were about the same.

Ferrari, better looking, Ferrari mystic, Ferrari name, exhaust sound, attention getter.

NSX, cost to buy, cost to repair, cost to maintain, more bang for the buck, build quaility, reliability, daily driver option, much easier to pass California smog tests.

I'm sure I missed many pluses for both. For me, I have an NSX in my garage. I am very happy with it. I will again buy a Ferrari, when I can afford to have both the NSX and the Ferrari.

Good Luck,

What a great and fitting analogy Jim! That cracked me up.

My 2 cents: I think you'll want the Ferrari out of the two. Right up to the point when it needs some major work done that requires some major dough. If you can imagine yourself driving in either the 328 and an NSX while asking yourself; "Am I wishing I bought the _____?" Then, I think you'd have your answer.

I can't imagine anyone saying the NSX doesn't have "look back" looks. The Ferrari is definitely a beautiful car but the NSX isn't a car to turn your head from. Even though looks are subjective, I haven't heard of anyone implying the NSX is ordinary looking car. Guess there's a first time for everything.

This is a great thread - a lot of interesting opinions (many of which do NOT conflict with each other), some statements of fact, some misstatements of fact
wink.gif
, some humor, etc.

I think I'm NSXed stated the pluses and minuses of the Ferrari vs the NSX very well, and it's applicable to ALL the Ferrari models. The only thing that was missing is that there was a lot of development and improvement in each step along the way for the 8-cylinder models 308/328/348/355/360. The performance got better and the flaws got fixed (or, at least, reduced). Comparing the NSX to the 328 is like comparing a 2002 Honda Accord to a 1980 Toyota Camry. The current Camry is a worthy competitor but the old one is no comparison.

"Comparing the NSX to the 328 is like comparing a 2002 Honda Accord to a 1980 Toyota Camry. The current Camry is a worthy competitor but the old one is no comparison."

I would say that it is more like comparing a 2002 Honda Accord to a 1985 Mercedes SEL... Ken, brand names are brand names and Toyota is not the Ferrari of the sedans...
wink.gif

PS: I agree, the Lotus Esprit V8 should be added to "Ken's list of faster than NSX cars below 100k$" (2002, tm). I am sorry but it IS faster than our nsx
frown.gif

PPS: but it looks and drives like crap
smile.gif

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
I would say that it is more like comparing a 2002 Honda Accord to a 1985 Mercedes SEL... Ken, brand names are brand names and Toyota is not the Ferrari of the sedans...

Good point.

I am sorry but it IS faster than our nsx
frown.gif

I am sorry but according to the tests in the magazines, it is not significantly faster.

Eggman

I had always wanted to own a Ferrari - until I drove a 328. It's a beautiful looking car but it was not fun to drive. The seating position twists you around, it understeers a lot and there's a lot of noise for not much oomph.

I scratched my head after that test drive. Then I remembered the NSX. One test drive and I was sold.

The Honda may not have the badge but even Italians appreciate it. Just after I bought it my wife and I took it to the San Marino GP at Imola. It turned heads wherever we went. We parked every day in a school which hired out its playground to the GP fans. Every day the guy in charge made sure we were parked in a corner next to a 360. If an Italian thought we were worthy enough to park next to a brand new 360 then it proves the point. They certainly appreciate their cars.

Having said all that it's a matter of personal preference. As for me apart from the obvious advantages- performance, handling, comfort, reliability etc, I also have the benefit in the UK of exclusivity. Ferraris are relatively 2 a penny compared to my NSX and as for Porsches....

At the end of the day you'll buy what your heart tells you is right.

Best of Luck

Well, I have seen quite a few people weigh in on this question so I thougt I may take a stab. I see that many here have owned/do own a Ferrari along with their NSX. I am just the opposite. I own neither nor have I ever owned one. Thus, I think I have unique perspective on this issue.

Just yesterday, my friends and I were on our way to Chilis to get some chicken fried steak, and we came upon none other than a late mode NSX. It was black with the seven spoke rims. I did not see it. One of my other non-car-buff friends pointed it excaiming that "that is a sweet car." I don't even think he knew what it was. I then explained to him that that was the car I was looking at to purchase...the Acura NSX. This was just yesterday!

I believe that my friends reaction to a Ferrari would have been no different.

The above example is what I feel the norm is. Most guys will have that reaction to any NSX or Ferrari. They will point and they will think it is good looking. Girls, however, are a different matter. Girls will not notice either a Ferrari or a NSX any more than they would a Corvette.

There are three cars that will have EVERYONE staring or pointing...small crowds gathering, etc....(that you could buy in the showroom new in the past twenty years)

Said cars are the Lamborghini Diablo(or countach), Dodge Viper, and the Hummer. These are the most outlandish cars on the road today. NOTHING else even remotely resembles them. They are no compromise type vehicles. I find it rather fitting that all three of them have the worst fuel mileage of every other car on the road.

Now, if your lifelong ambition is to own a car with the prancing horse on the hood, then buy the Ferrari. If you find that the Ferrari is not the joy you thought it was going to be, then you can always sell it. Perhaps you will want to drive your Ferrari more than it wants to be driven hehe.

If you are not sure of the information in the latter paragraph, then think of how you are going to use the car. If you want a car that you can drive daily, take to the track, take on trips, modify(without too much $$$,) then go with the NSX.

If you are going to put less than three thousand miles on your car a year and prefer the looks of the Ferrari(because you will be sitting the garage looking at it most of the time), then go with the Ferrari.

Sorry this post was long. I thought my perspective of not owning any of these cars may help a bit.

Now, let me put in some disclaimers here. Yes, it is true that I do not own any of these cars. Then again, why am I on this board? Could it be that I think the NSX is one of the most awesome looking cars and I think it is greatest GT car anyone can buy? I guess in reality I am extremely biased in favor of the NSX hehe.

Ken, ok it is not *much* faster but this time we have to agree that the Esprit is faster. This are the nmbers (the NSX ones taken from the FAQ, you know? it is hosted on this website!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
)

ESPRIT:

NSX:
00 Coupe Cpe R&T Jan-01 3.2 V-6/6M 0-60, s.4.90
97 T Cpe PS Jun-97 3.2 V-6/6M 0-60, s. 5.30
97 T Cpe MT May-97 3.2 V-6/6M 0-60, s. 4.80
97 T Cpe R&T Feb-97 3.2 V-6/6M 0-60, s. 5.00

As you see, there is a trend on the NSX numbers (we have a 4.5 somewhere if I remember but the consistency seems to be around 4.8-4.9). On the Esprit it is around 4.4.

There are plenty of NSX figures in the 4.5 to 4.7 range that you seem to have ignored. Car and Driver has it at 4.5 (in 1998 and again in 2001) and Motor Trend at 4.7.

ok it is not *much* faster

...and THAT IS THE POINT!
rolleyes.gif

This will be my last post about the NSX vs Lotus.

Originally posted by ALLAN:
FERRARI, FERRARI, FERRARI

No offense here Allan, but why do you keep your NSX? You obviously don't really care for the car. It seems you can afford whatever you want, so why keep it?

Ken,
this is the only 4.5s I found and I mentioned it above (I did not understand why it was not in the same table with the other results). Anyway are there other so good results?

i do like the nsx. ill be making it into a widebody and supercharging it soon. but if i was faced with the decision, keep the nsx forever, or keep a ferrari for ever, id go the ferrari route.

Car and Driver tested an NSX-T again in 2001 and got the same number.

The Motor Trend test (4.7) was in '99, a Zanardi.

Originally posted by Edwardo:

Just yesterday, my friends and I were on our way to Chilis to get some chicken fried steak, and we came upon none other than a late mode NSX.

I read the story, and you have some good points. But, the real question is, how was the chicken fried steak at Chili's?
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 23 May 2002).]

Originally posted by Edwardo:
Just yesterday, my friends and I were on our way to Chilis to get some chicken fried steak, and we came upon none other than a late mode NSX.

Guess where I drove my NSX for lunch yesterday?

chilis_logo_mainpage.gif

Back