• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. Ferrari 328 GTS

I'd be really glad if the new NSX would smell like that "factory risotto"!
biggrin.gif

eggman, i havent read all the posts here, it was getting rather opinionated and heated, so ill just post my experiences.

4 years ago i was in the same boat you are in now. i drove a 300zxtt stage IV and was looking to move ...well..... up.

I say it like this because the 300zxtt once you get to stage III is absurdly fast and an all around amazing car.

my choices at that time were an F car (328, 348 or mondial were what i was focusing on). I subscribed to both the ferrari list and the NSX list and sat back and listened for several months, and once i felt i was somewhat educated, i asked some questions.

my main concern was i wanted something that was high performance, somewhat unique, somewhat prestigious and at least as reliable as the 300zx was (though mine was starting to show its age and wasn't so reliable anymore). my price range was around $40k, give or take a few k.

it really came down to did i want ultra prestiege with huge repair bills (as research from the F car list showed me that pretty much any ferrari came with huge repair bills and i absolutely should EXPECT a lot of problems, both small and medium with any F car) or did i want something that was still exotic, uncommon and as reliable as my dads prelude. I also had to remember, NEITHER of these cars had much more than 1/2 the HP or torque of the modded 300zx.

common sense won over which is unusual for me
smile.gif
(mostly because money was a large concern) and I went with the NSX (and kept the 300zx). generally i put around 20-25k miles per year on a car and the 300zx was no exception. after i bought the NSX, I didnt put more than 1,000 miles on the 300zx in over two years. the 300zx felt WAAAAAAY more powerful, but i took both cars to the drags and they ran almost identical times (as i recall it was 13.5@109 for the 300, 13.6@108 for the nsx with headers, airbox, exhaust, no cats, ie about the same cost as a stage 3 setup on the Z). as you have a 300zx, you're aware it's difficult to put all that HP down to the pavement.

i finally got rid of the 300zx last year and while it was a great car and i sometimes miss it, i know i made the right decision. im a car guy, i love cars, i love driving, i love to hop into a car and just go, maybe for the afternoon, maybe for the weekend, maybe for a couple of weeks, spur of the moment, and not worry about reliability and whether or not the car is going to be any sort of concern.

maybe someday an F car will be in my future, but it will be at a time when i know i can afford the repairs that go along with owning one, or the day when F gets off their asses and makes reliability a priority (which will probably be never).

in the meantime, the nsx engine sounds amazing (never occurred to me with the 300zx that i'd find an engine sound an enjoyable driving experience), the high red line is a blast, and the twisties are much more fun. the only thing i miss about the 300zx was the mega gobs of torque when those turbos kicked in and you were SLAMMED back into the seats all the way from 3k to redline in every gear. funny that the performance numbers ended up being so similar between the two yet the feel so different.

im not quite sure from your response whether you are surprised that its so slow, or that its quicker than you were expecting.

the only performance quote on that site that i see (which is in line with all the reviews in the rags that have covered this car) is Estimated 0-60 time of less than 6.0 seconds

shrug. thats certainly slower than the 300zxtt's were and i dont start to get exciting until i see 5.0 or quicker for that stat
smile.gif
. we all know "less than 6.0" is marketspeak for 5.9
smile.gif

Originally posted by ALLAN:
no, the nsx definately does not have the "look back at me one more time" appeal of the ferrari.

Actually, with all due respect, YES the NSX does. Granted, you own a Diablo, so I am guessing it takes something pretty wild to draw your attention (understandably). But I have owned my NSX for 3 years, have swapped cars with friends and driven some Ferraris, Lotus, Porsches, and Lamborghini's for considerable amounts of time (were talking days or weeks here), and I STILL find myself looking back and staring at my NSX or ANY NSX that I see. While the other cars are VERY attractive, don't get me wrong, I am simply pointing out that the NSX still gathers attention even after owning one for years. Heck, half the people I meet think it IS a Ferrari.
smile.gif

------------------
Carpe Diem! Get out there and DRIVE YOUR NSX! It won't do you any good when you're gone.

So after ten years of this thread I'm bring it back in. I'm glad to see that the NSX has hold up good and their values never bottomed at where youngsters are taking over them. I owned a 328GTS and a '92 NSX and had my brother drive one or the other to compare, the result was that as far as acceleration both were about the same with the NSX a little faster, but at speeds over 100mph the 328 was really alive. I drove that Ferrari for over 10 years daily driven, but I didn't commute to work with it and I sold with over 70k miles, it was super reliable and it never left me stranded. As far as performance the NSX was better, but felt more Testarossa than a raw sports car like the 328GTS, the GTB is another higher level than that of the GTS and it's very a rare car to find.

After all this years I just sold my F430 manual shifter and looking at much less expensive toys and guess what... In my target I have 328GTB that will not stay stock or an early NSX to modify or a 2002 or up. Really can't decide on which NSX to go for and I'm checking prices and track set ups, etc. That speaks volumes of the Ferrari and NSX because I right now I own a great 2010 GT3 and I'm on the spot you see me now.

Cars are like sex, so follow your fantasy and make it happen.

Attachments

• gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Back