• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs RX7

Good Morning Guys and Gals,

I just purchase a red 95, I also own a 93 RX7. The Mazda has had very few mods. Mostly exhaust. Rotary Turbos need to breath. I was very surprised at how slow the nsx was in comparison to my RX7. I now understand why we never saw NSXs on the Solo (autocross) circuit. In general the acura is much nicer. It seems more solid the doors close with a nice thud instead of a rattle. I guess the nsx sacrificed performance for quality. I would like to improve the performance some, but would like to kee[p the car looking mostly stock. I don't know a lot about the nsx but in general most cars keep more value if they are kept in factory specs. Matching numbers etc. I think I could gain the most bang for the bucks by starting with the exhaust. Can some of you guys give me some pointers as to where to start with performance improvement.

Thanks Tony F
Austin TX and Mobile AL

1. The RX 7 (stock) is not faster than a NSX (stock) - especialy not on the track. The NSX is already fast when you think you drive moderate.

2. You may use the search function and you get threads like this one with a big discussion about the modifications issue.

3. If you want to see NSXs at an autoX (where you never see one?) you may look here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30843&highlight=autoX
There are multiple other threads with words, pictures and even movies featuring NSXs and autoX

IMO your RX7 feels faster because it's a smaller car. The NSX should beat any year RX7 (including the new RX8....which I don't think comes in turbo yet)

As far as making changes....yeah that may take away some of the value (dependant on buyer), but for now the car is yours so make it that way.

Do a search on exhaust....and you'll find many helpful links.

I traded a 93 r1 for a 96 nsx.I can see where you might feel the nsx is slower,when in actuality it is not.Unfortunatly the 95-96 cars are the slowest technicaly speaking.The power delivery of the nsx is more linear than the mazda and that turbo punch gives the impression of speed.Btw your better off with headers and exhaust,rather than exhaust alone on the pre 97 cars.

Sorry Guys but. Actual track times Emerald coast 1/8th mile drag track.
RX7 9.682 NSX 11.364

tonyf said:
RX7 9.682 NSX 11.364

Sorry, but a REAL drag is 1/4 not 1/8.:)
I used to live over there. Baldwin county actually for many years.
Any other owners there?

tonyf said:
RX7 9.682 NSX 11.364

Sounds like you need to learn how to drive the NSX better.

Hey Guys,

The RX7 is gone. I'm down to an NSX 95 red. I was pretty unfamiliar with the nsx but found one at a really good price (Ithink). If I had done a little more looking and got a bit more info I probably woould have held out for a 97 up. However I really like the new (to me) ride. It feels much more solid and MZM international in Austin TX my performance guru says the nsx is a much more reliable and dependable car. My wife had an 00 3.2tl that I loved. All her friends had SUVs so she purchase an 01 Nissan Pathfinder loaded to the gills. My grandson especially likes the back seat video player. Even though her pathfinder is the LE top of the line IMHO it can't hold a candle to the Acura. $ for$ I don't think any car is better than a honda product.As to the performance of RX cars the new 8 is in no way a new rendition of a 7. No turbo charging, four seater and again IMHO really quite ugly. Nothing like a 7. I guess the boys at Mazda agree since the new 7 will be out in November 05. There will be a Mazdaspeed version that will have about 300 HP. Weight is expected to be about 2200 lbs. My new ride is about the cleanest used car I've ever seen. The paint and interior are imaculate. It seems to run well with no stalls or stutters. It only has about 55k on the clock barely broke in for most Honda products. I have an appointment to have the timing belt and water pump replace tomorrow at Mcdavid Acura in Austin. Then I plan to order and install a complete exhaust system Headers etc. Since the car will be titled in Alabama and there is no emission testing is there is there a way to do away with the cats without remapping the ecu. I've read the performance stuff on this site but I'm still abit confused as to which is the best Header exhaust combo. Looking for opinions.

Tony F
95 red/blk

Tony

tonyf said:
RX7 9.682 NSX 11.364

That is a horrible time for the NSX.

A decent driver can run an 8.9 or better with a stock 91.

In autox the RX should be faster. That's why it is classed in SS while the NSX is classed in AS, and uncompetitively at that. I know nothing about decent drag times for these, though I do know that you can get a good estimate of 1/4 mile time by multiplying an 1/8 mile time by 1.55. Both times seem slow.

The exhaust on your RX was a significant mod. Not all that involved, but an open exhaust rewards any turbo car greatly. You won't see the same gain from an exhaust on the NSX. One thing you might not know is that Hondas like to rev. Shift at redline. Really.

The NSX should be infinitely more reliable than the TT RX7. Those things are time bombs. "The star that burns twice as bright for half as long".

Congrats on the purchase. If I’m not mistaken, Apple Imports here in Austin had a red NSX-T automatic. Is this the one you picked up? If so the automatic transmission (mated to an engine that is less powerful than the one that comes with manual transmission) might explain why the car feels a bit slower than your RX-7.

tonyf said:
I've read the performance stuff on this site but I'm still abit confused as to which is the best Header exhaust combo. Looking for opinions.
Most of your gains will be in the headers. For headers, the ones offered by Comptech and Taitec are generally regarded as the better ones. For you, the Taitec might be the way to go, since the price is good for your year. Finding the best exhaust is a much more subjective thing. I have the Comptech headers with Taitec JGTC exhaust. I like the combo, but I know several folks who think it is unbearably loud. If you’re going to be in Austin this weekend, come to the drive this Saturday if you’d like to hear it. There might be a few other NSXs there, so you can compare exhaust notes.

Ojas,

I bought the car in Arlington. It is an nsx-t with a 5 sp manual tranny. 55k on the clock. I've decided on the taitec headers and exhaust. What do you guys think? I would appreciate the input.

Tony F
95 NSX-T 5 speed Red/ Blk
01 Nissan Pathfinder LE
91 Isuzu spacecab pickup

tonyf said:
Good Morning Guys and Gals,

I just purchase a red 95, I also own a 93 RX7. The Mazda has had very few mods. Mostly exhaust. Rotary Turbos need to breath. I was very surprised at how slow the nsx was in comparison to my RX7.

I love RX-7s, one of the most beautiful car ever.

The acceleration #s and power weight ratio are virtually the same between stock RX-7 and NSX.

The power delivery is very smooth and liner in NSX, with the turbo in RX-7 you are going to feel more kick giving you the illusion of been faster.

Mods with little to no cost:
-You can do all the free weight reduction mod, lightweight battery.
-Incase you need new tires, try Toyo T1-S, great price, it made a noticeable difference for me over Oem Potenza in straightline performance, ultra light weight, grippier. very easy to do perfect launch without either bogging or excessing wheel spin. Not sure about cornering.

Other great performance parts:
Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust
Comptech header
Cantrell AIS
Dali hot chip

tell me about this chip thinggy
Tony

Ya! Hockenheim, Ich hast das gern. Ober zu fiel arberit.
Ton

nsxsupra said:
-Incase you need new tires, try Toyo T1-S, great price, it made a noticeable difference for me over Oem Potenza in straightline performance, ultra light weight, grippier. very easy to do perfect launch without either bogging or excessing wheel spin. Not sure about cornering.
I agree that tires make a big difference, but I disagree regarding the T1-S. Yes, they're cheap, but they're nowhere near as grippy as the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H or Bridgestone RE010) or even some of the better aftermarket tires (Bridgestone S-03, Goodyear F1 GS-D3). The OEM tires also give incredible handling, a real slot car feel to the NSX. They were designed specifically for the NSX, and for specific corners of the NSX, with the belts biased to work directly with the NSX alignment. You can read more about them in the FAQ under Wheels & Tires - Tire Tech.

NSX-Racer said:
As we have nearly no drag racing here I was refering to real race tracks (such as Hockenheim etc.)

I want to move to Germany.

I agree with the points brought up here in the other posts. I had a 93 Touring with quite a bit of mods and my experience too was that both cars stock are pretty even. As nsxsupra mentioned, the RX7 probably gives you the illusion of more speed because of the kick in the pants you get from the sequential turbo setup. VTEC isn't bad either, but I think you feel more torque below VTEC in the NSX than you do below the turbos in the RX7 - so the transition is much more noticeable in the RX7. As far as the 1/8 mile number goes, that's slow for the NSX so you probably just need to get use to it that's all.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that whatever mods you decide on for your NSX will likely not have the bang-for-the-buck value of a similar mod on the RX7, mostly because it's so much easier to get more power out of a factory turbocharged engine. So although you will get power out of something like an exhaust setup for your NSX, you shouldn't expect the type of increase that you'd get from an exhaust setup for your RX7. So don't expect to go out banging gears and spinning tires and getting sideways in 2nd gear like you could in the RX7!

Also, don't expect to break down every other week either since it's a Honda ;)

na14yu- very well put comparison between the NSX and RX7! One thing that should be mentioned how common it is for the APEX seals to go on these 13B's!! Big time hassle and $$$. I love the "just change the oil and go" aspect of the NSX :smile:

na14yu said:
Another thing I wanted to point out is that whatever mods you decide on for your NSX will likely not have the bang-for-the-buck value of a similar mod on the RX7, mostly because it's so much easier to get more power out of a factory turbocharged engine. So although you will get power out of something like an exhaust setup for your NSX, you shouldn't expect the type of increase that you'd get from an exhaust setup for your RX7.

This is true up to a certain point. It is roughly $2k-$4k cheaper to upgrade an Rx-7, 300ZXTT, or Supra TT up to 350-425rwhp than it is to upgrade an NSX to those levels. However, for power levels above that, the prices are remarkably similar. In the stock turbo cars, you need to buy all new injectors, bigger turbos, and bigger intercoolers to get above those levels anyway. The only difference is with the NSX, you need to do all these upgrades AT ONCE, not in stages.
-Tony
'91 NSX (All stock except 17" Blitz Type 03's)
'93 TTZ (502rwhp @ 22psi)

P.S. When launching at a drag strip, Car & Driver said to launch the NSX at 4000rpm with the TCS "off" while dumping the clutch. I wouldn't dump the clutch on my NSX but it is what they recommended.

Back