• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

O2 Oxygen Sensor: part recommendation

Hello. I have looked & looked for directions on changing my O2 sensors. I want to see if I can do this myself. Can anyone point me to this? I do have access to a 2 post lift.
1995 NSX-T 5 speed
Thank you for all the knoweldge & help on NSX Prime!
You'll need an O2 sensor socket and a torch, most likely. If they are original sensors, it's gonna be quite an ordeal to get them off. My method is to heat the area with a torch and hit it with PB Blaster. Let the oil soak into the threads and do it again. Then I leave it for at least 24 hours to let the oil penetrate and try to break it loose the next morning. Keep in mind the PB Blaster ruins the sensor so you'll need a new one. I always use a little copper anti-seize on the new one to make the job easier next time!

You'll need an O2 sensor socket and a torch, most likely. If they are original sensors, it's gonna be quite an ordeal to get them off. My method is to heat the area with a torch and hit it with PB Blaster. Let the oil soak into the threads and do it again. Then I leave it for at least 24 hours to let the oil penetrate and try to break it loose the next morning. Keep in mind the PB Blaster ruins the sensor so you'll need a new one. I always use a little copper anti-seize on the new one to make the job easier next time!
Thank you Honcho!

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Your car is a 1995 so it should be OBDII which means you have four O2 sensors and the original na1 cast iron manifolds. The pre cat / primary sensors which are located in the exhaust manifold can be a bugger to extract because of corrosion. As I recall, the primary sensor located in the front manifold is also particularly awkward to get at. You can find at least one or two threads on Prime where owners have twisted the sensor head off leaving the sensor body stuck in the manifold. The secondary sensors are located on the tail end of the catalytic converters and are fairly easy to spot and get at.

You will need an O2 sensor wrench
You can do it without the special wrench if you cut the wire pigtail off; but, that fully commits you to replacement which is not a problem if the sensor is 100% dead.

You can give it a try yourself. The secondary sensor replacement will probably go relatively smoothly. On your na1 with the cast iron manifold the primary sensors may be 'resistant' You can give it a go; but, if it looks like you are going to have to dig out a 2' long breaker bar and reef on it to extract them I would stop (unless you have access to a torch). At that point you might want to consider taking it to a shop to have it done. Chances are that they will have an Oxy-Acetylene torch and 2 minutes of heating the sensor bung with a fine tip torch will typically facilitate removal.

If it were not for the possibility of a nasty stuck front sensor(s) I would definitely say give it a go since you have access to a lift. Put it on the lift, have a look at the front sensors location and condition and then make an more informed decision about whether you want to try the front sensor replacement.

Back