• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

??? Odd oil leak ???

20 virtual dollars to the first of you who explains this mystery to me... :biggrin: for the record I already checked the "search" to no avail... here it goes:
I was checking my car this evening and noticed that there were fresh oil stains near the front passenger side wheel. I looked closer and there are drips of what appears to be engine oil all over the wheel well, with drops ready to fall on the back of the wheel well and the front of it :eek: . Refer to the picture for a better idea of what the heck I'm talking about. btw, it's not brake fluid... Any idea ? :confused:

Attachments

• oil.JPG
    oil.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 311
Henry may have hit the nail on the head... pull the wheel off and inspect the shock body; if it is also coated with oil, then send Henry the cyber cash! Oh, and shop for new suspension :eek: If one shock has given up, you better do all four... a great upgrade opportunity! Or, get a rebuild from TrueChoice, they specialize in performance shocks, and give discounts to NSXCA members. See the inside cover of NSXDriver.

SCS2k said:
Make sure it's not a power steering fluid leak.
There's no power steering fluid in the NSX. Very unusual for oil to be leaking in that area. The clutch, brake, and ABS fluids are closer to driver's side.

good luck

Thanks for your replies my friends. I hadn't thought about the shock absorber and was kind of sure that had to be it. I just checked it, and it is NOT... :confused: I took some more pictures using my camera phone, I apologize in advance for the poor quality. I do have a smaller leak at the rear passenger wheel well as well now that I looked closer. And when looking inside the wheel well oil appears to be on only on half the plastic, towards the outside. The shocks are dry. Start thinking I might have run over a oil puddle or something, but where, when and how is it possible I did not notice it?!?! :confused:

Attachments

• 01-14-05_2053.jpg
    01-14-05_2053.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 01-14-05_2054.jpg
    01-14-05_2054.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 01-14-05_2055.jpg
    01-14-05_2055.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 01-14-05_2057.jpg
    01-14-05_2057.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 01-14-05_2058.jpg
    01-14-05_2058.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 183
another couple of them where one can clearly see where the front louvers in the wheel well are half covered with oil and half dry :confused:

Attachments

• 01-14-05_2059.jpg
    01-14-05_2059.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 01-14-05_2100.jpg
    01-14-05_2100.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 01-14-05_2056.jpg
    01-14-05_2056.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
hlweyl said:
There's no power steering fluid in the NSX. Very unusual for oil to be leaking in that area. The clutch, brake, and ABS fluids are closer to driver's side.

good luck

I know that it is electric but I still thought it was hydraulic and required fluid.

The only thing in there with oil is the A/C condenser, if it has a tiny hole it could be spraying oil out. No easy way to get in there to check, try looking in with the fender liner removed, I think the louvered liner will come off too. Hopefully you can see through the fan and see if there is oil on the condenser that would explain how much oil you are seeing. Total volume of refrigerant oil is 80 cc, not a whole lot. If that is where it is coming from, get it fixed right away because you will seize the A/C compressor if it runs out of oil.

It's me comming by every night spilling some oil under your car...
my account number for the 20$ : 285-0563407-60
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This may be a stupid question, but did you smell the fluid? Could be a big clue.

Now that you see it front and back also, sounds like Brian is right and you just ran over something.

good luck

Bart Geerts said:
It's me comming by every night spilling some oil under your car...
my account number for the 20$ : 285-0563407-60
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

THAT explains it. Ok, I'll be sending you the virtual $20, along with the $150 bill for cleaning the garage :cool:

hlweyl said:
This may be a stupid question, but did you smell the fluid? Could be a big clue.

Now that you see it front and back also, sounds like Brian is right and you just ran over something.

good luck

I did smell it and it has the consistency, color and smell of 10W40 (Not sure of the weight thought :rolleyes: )

I'm starting to think that Brian may have been right, just puzzles me that I ran over an oil puddle and felt nothing while doing it

apapada said:
I'm starting to think that Brian may have been right, just puzzles me that I ran over an oil puddle and felt nothing while doing it

You would be surprised at how little the amout of oil that you ran over can cover everything in sight. You may have driven through a puddle of water that has some oil in it and that's why you didn't feel anything. I had a tiny leak from the oil pan gasket on my Mustang and the wind blown oil covered the entire underbody of the car. It must have only leaked a third of a quart, but it was still everywhere.

Back