• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Odyssey battery

I think I finaly need a new battery. Thinking of an odyssey PC680 with a quick disconnect to save it for extended sit time. There is the standard and the MJ models. MJ is metal jacket to protect battery from heat. Not an issue in a mid engine NSX. MJ is a pound heavier. Is there any reason why I would want the MJ over the standard one that's lighter and cheaper? Anyone?

Hi,

i have the PC680MJ.... well... i did and it die on my fault.

I bought a new one, a normal one and swapped the Metal Jacket in.

I did it, not because of the heat, as the NSX battery position is heatless, but to protect the plastic casing against elements and debris that can somehow fly over.

I also bought quick disconect to both poles and they work amazingly... but i need to buy a new Odyssey positive pole, as it is thicker than the negative, and my quick disconects grab the fatter one tighter...so tight it harms me when i release it :biggrin:

I will take a photo of it this weekend and post here so you can see.

Nuno

Why are you putting a disconnect on both poles?

I wouldn't suggest it unless you drive your car every day.

They don't hold a charge well.

If you drive the car frequently no issue. A battery tender is better if you drive it infrequently. I would be Leary about disconnecting the power to all the electronics frequently.

I have a battery box. no need for metal jacket.

I took the advice from here that these were "just like oem", BS.

My car is DEAD every week. It's so dead that I have to leave it on a charger for 30min before it will even take a jump start!

I also have a type-r CF vent which blocks the battery which I can't use because I need to get at the battery every damn week.

I have a PC680.

Hi,

Why are you putting a disconnect on both poles?

well... my cable terminals were toasted, so i either would have to buy new OEM cables, positive and ground, or new terminals.

I opted to remove my old terminals and install new ones.

When i went to the auto store, i crossed my eyes with these quick ones and asked to test them in a battery to see how they work and how tight they would get into the poles. I was impressed how they worked.

The downside is that both quicks are prepared for poles of the same size, and positive is usually larger than ground, so the ground quicky is less tight than the positive one, that is why i want to get a positive Odyssey pole to install as ground.

Thanks,
Nuno

What is the issue with a quick diconnect done often? I suppose the ECU loses some memory? I don't care about lost clock and radio station settings. Is this really bad?

Sorry but bitter cold weather and san diego don't belong in the same sentence ;)

My PC680MJ is 3yr+ old and the longest the car had sat was 3wks and most of the time it sits for 2wks but starts no problem w/o a charger under the bitter cold SD weather at low 40s.

Sorry but bitter cold weather and san diego don't belong in the same sentence ;)

LOL... I know... "bitter cold 40's"... hahahahahaha.... he has lost all perspective. "bitter cold" is 10 below zero with a wind chill at 35 below pal!

LOL... I know... "bitter cold 40's"... hahahahahaha.... he has lost all perspective. "bitter cold" is 10 below zero with a wind chill at 35 below pal!

Turbo - You're in Boston? Don't even think about it! And you have an NA2? I had TERRIBLE experience with the 680, better with the 920, and I'm on the 1200 now which I think is worth the weight.

I stayed in Edmonton thru the bitter winter one year....no comment needed.
Bitter cold in low 40F in SD simple means we are spoiled:biggrin:
Heater is on every nite...air is too cold to go surfing in the morning:mad:
To me, snow is only good for one thing and one thing only.
Why live in cold weather if you have a choice. Life is short. I wish I can live in HI but there is no place to drive and I am not a good entertainer.

Turbo - You're in Boston? Don't even think about it! And you have an NA2? I had TERRIBLE experience with the 680, better with the 920, and I'm on the 1200 now which I think is worth the weight.

how does the 1200 fit? i didn't see what group it was.i've been looking at the 1400,which i think is oem size-even more power,but it weighs 50 lb!

At 50 lbs, or the 1200 at 38 lbs, you might as well save the money and get a costco battery.

my concern is that i want to get a battery that can't leak.a mechanic told me that if a conventional battery leaks in an nsx and damages the long cable that runs under the car to the starter, it's expensive to replace it.the part is at least $100.,and it takes some work to get to it.getting this kind of battery,though,lessens the choices and raises the price.

has anyone out there replaced this cable?

Last edited:
My car is stored winters. I am not sure the cold thing is an issue. If I want a bigger battery I will buy a Deka or Big Crank. Problem is the mount. PC680 has a mount I can get.

BTW my 2005 factory battery is type R weight. It is not the same as an 02 even. They went lighter in 05, an unmentioned fact.

FWIW, it seems as the the NSXs ages, and especially in colder weather with super chargers, having additional cranking power is a good thing to have.

Yes, some of these batteries weigh, but keeping/putting some weight in the front is a good thing too especially if the spare is taken out. It is always a balancing act of compromises.

the big issue is driving it daily. i live in so cal, but i have been to race events where it was 20 degrees in the morning and my car started right up with an 11lb battery. once i got a daily driver, the battery died after a week of not being driven... eventually it just died and could not be saved.

I have an Optima Batteries yellow top. Part no 8073-167 Model 51R on my Integra R. It's a dry cell battery. The car is rarely driven so I tend to take the battery out quite often. It's been very reliable and weighs less than a standard battery but a bit more than the Odyssey. It's 25 lbs. Since the yellow top is not really a starter battery. It's more of a deep cycle battery I will eventually switch it out for the red top model and am planning on changing out the dead weight of the battery currently in my NSX with the red top in the spring.

^^^^edit actually I take that back. The yellow weights 5 lbs less and after reading a few threads about it after Googling I guess it's more reliable.

Last edited:
Hey guys could you recomend me any quick disconect system for my odyssey batterie, where can I buy one online?

Last edited:
If you're going with a lightweight battery (I have a 15 lb. Braille and it is terrific) then spend a few dollars and buy a battery tender and hardwire it in.

The tender that I have has the electronics in the wall plug, so the only weight I added back into the car was a 1 metre length of wire. If I am not driving my NSX on a daily basis, I plug it in. It couldn't be easier and has the benefit of rehabilitating the battery by removing the sulphate accumulation on the plates. I have saved ~30 pounds of weight and always have a fully charged battery when I need to go.

If you're going with a lightweight battery (I have a 15 lb. Braille and it is terrific) then spend a few dollars and buy a battery tender and hardwire it in.

The tender that I have has the electronics in the wall plug, so the only weight I added back into the car was a 1 metre length of wire. If I am not driving my NSX on a daily basis, I plug it in. It couldn't be easier and has the benefit of rehabilitating the battery by removing the sulphate accumulation on the plates. I have saved ~30 pounds of weight and always have a fully charged battery when I need to go.

Great info! Care to share the details of your set-up? Which model are you running and at what specs for the battery? Also, what hardwire tender are you running. Pics are always welcome. I am also in need of changing to a better set up. I have my car garaged for 4 months at a time. Thanks,

Back