• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Office chair recommendations

so my current chair isn't great and I am finding it hurts my back at the end of the day. I spend about 10 hours a day in it pounding away on the pc.

What do you guys use?

I use what the Government supplies me with, not much choice. Although, it is pretty comfortable, ergonomical, with a lot of settings I haven't quite figured out.

I have major issues unless I'm in a decent chair. I have back issues and get migraines. A chair is a very personal thing, what works for some may not work for another. I have three chairs I like:

My favorite is probably the Humanscale Freedom (I just bought a used one with the headrest, I've been using one without for 3 or 4 years. I expect it any day).

I also like the Herman Miller Aeron. I'm sitting in one now, size B (C would probably be better for me). I like the Humanscale better.

Steelcase Leap is also decent but I haven't owned one. You can get all of these via Craigslist typically around $400-600. There are Aerons all over the place on CL, the other two are tougher to come by.

I also used to own a Knoll Chadwick which is less expensive than all the above and still a really good chair. You'll probably never find one used on Craigslist.

Best bet is to find a local office furniture store and see if they will loan you one for a week or offer a money back guarantee. Just going in and sitting in a chair for a few minutes can't give you any sort of idea how well it will actually work for you over time. If you buy off Craigslist, the nice part is a good chair retains its value, so if you decide you don't like it you can usually resell for what you paid.

Last edited:
I agree ,a chair is a personal thing .....like exhaust notes.....:wink: I would go to a local furniture /office supply joint and sit in a bunch.

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=FreedomTaskChairWithHeadrest

This chair is badass - you can choose what materials and colors are on the seats and if you want aluminum or titanium. I'm going to buy one in blue and silver. Sick

F21DMW601------_0001_212.png

Last edited:
That's the one I'm expecting any day. I paid $400 (shipped) for it used. I have been using the same one without the headrest and have been very happy with it. I do wish you could adjust how easy/difficult it is to lean back, but that's my only complaint. The one without the headrest I bought from Craigslist for $125. Not bad for a $1000 chair. But again, just because it looks bad ass doesn't mean it will work for you. Try it out for a while if you can, or buy used so you can resell for what you paid.

FWIW, the guy I bought from I believe has a few left. He's on the west coast and ships via greyhound.

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=FreedomTaskChairWithHeadrest

This chair is badass - you can choose what materials and colors are on the seats and if you want aluminum or titanium. I'm going to buy one in blue and silver. Sick

F21DMW601------_0001_212.png

I picked up my used Humanscale Freedom today and my god, what a difference the headrest makes. I tend to lean back and put my feet up on the desk. I had always wondered if ANYONE made a decent chair that could accommodate this poor posture habit. I finally have my answer.

You lean back but the headrest pushes forward when you do so you are looking at the screen and not the ceiling. I've only used it for 5 minutes and the seat on this one doesn't feel as comfortable as the non-headrest version I have but it could just be a matter of my butt breaking in the seat :).

If anybody else is looking for one of these and wants to save a few bucks, I can see if the guy I bought from has any left. He had a dozen a couple of weeks ago. He's located near Santa Ana, CA.

freedom-advanced-duron-arm-task-chair-with-headrest.F213.23.800.png

All I can recommend is that you really should look for a great chair. I had back pain from sitting long hours on a chair. People told me that buying a comfortable chair will not fix this. I ignored the recommendations and bought a very comfortable chair. Back pain is pretty much gone now.

If you're interested in which one I got it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Office-P...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329019916&sr=1-38

It's nothing special. But that's the thing. It's not really about the chair itself. It's how it fits your physical frame that counts the most. Everyone had a different physical frame so a comfortable chair will vary from one person to anther. Just concentrate on the lower back point and as I've read, you basically sit up straight at the edge of the chair and slide yourself back and see if the backside of the chair fits your backside perfectly or not.

But yeah, having a comfortable chair is a huge plus for back pain.

Good luck

I love my generic black vinyl tilter i got from the local office max/chain it dose'nt even have a brand name it just has the model...saratoga...:redface:

Rob, any updates on the Humanscale?

I really dig it. I had a Humanscale Freedom without the headrest for years (sold it for more than I paid for it too after years of use), the headrest is a big step up for me as I like to recline and sometimes put my feet up. I sit in an Aeron at work all day and I personally prefer the Freedom with headrest by a wide margin. It's tough to shop for a chair, it's like a mattress, you really just can't tell whether it will be good or not until you've used it for a period of time. So for me, buying used chairs from craigslist has worked well to find the one that works for me.

I've also used a Knoll Chadwick for about a year in one job and a Steelcase Leap in another.

Very few shops locally carry all the selections - so while i understand the need to test, so far I have tried only the Aeron. I have been overdue for sometime now but other priorities prevailed ........

The Humanscale Freedom is intriguing in its simplicity but i don't think it has the forward tilt for when you type. Has this been an issue? I too tend to spend time reading with my feet on the desk - so the headrest is a good option (there are aftermarket products for Herman Miller).

Herman Miller has a 15% off sale till tomorrow from authorized retailers. Used from authorized dealers offers only about $75 savings with the current sale. Unauthorized dealers is too risky for my taste given the potential issue/loss. I am very dubious when it comes to Craig's list.

Last edited:
Yeah CL isn't for everyone, but I don't have the $$ to spare to buy new, especially if I don't necessarily know that I'll be keeping the chair. So I try to be careful and check out the chair before I buy and I've done well. I paid $200 for my wife's fully loaded Aeron in new condition (it's a size A which command far less $$ than the B and C). I paid $400 I think for my B. I paid $200 for my first Humanscale and sold it for $350 many years later.

I think the only chair I've purchased new is the Chadwick which was around $400 IIRC and that's only because work was reimbursing me for it.

Oh and the lack of forward tilt on the Freedom hasn't bothered me in the least.

:

My favorite is probably the Humanscale Freedom

I also like the Herman Miller Aeron

+1 I have spent significant time in both chairs, have a newer style Aeron (size B) at home.

At the office I borrow Aerons from the executive conference rooms to sit in at my desk. Had a humanscale freedom for awhile till some SOB stole it from my office and took it home.

a few years ago prior to a company closing, a secretary was giving away office chairs... two dozen... all Aerons. I called "DIBS!" on the lot, quickly grabbed a Uhaul and storage unit, and sold them on craigslist to some very happy new owners. Score! :biggrin:

I use a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Has been pretty decent.

HOWEVER, i've since moved to a padded stool on wheels with no back support. I must admit I feel much better. I use more of my core muscles and my posture has been better. It really forces you to sit up right and the wheels force you to maintain stability.

I got the idea from many folks using an exercise ball to sit on with good feedback. The instability forces your core muscles to work more. It does get a bit tiring after a few hours so I switch it up. I can't use one of those in the office so a roller stool is the next best thing.

Back