• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil flow from rear cylinder bank into AOS tank

Two days ago I participated in a track day meeting at Spa Francorchamps, the famous F1 track located in Belgium.
I'll share a video and some comments in another thread later.
The car performed flawlessly except that the AOS can connected to the rear cylinder bank got filled up with oil.
This AOS consists of a simple can that has an air filter sitting on top of it to vent the fumes to atmosphere.
Half way through the day oil started seeping out of the air filter as the can was full of oil.
I emptied the can but at the end of the day it was full again.
By contrast the Moroso AOS can connected to the front cylinder bank contained only a small amount of liquid consisting of a mixture of water oil and gas.
I believe that the oil from the rear cylinder bank goes out through the breather tube when the car goes around high G right turns?
Driving back home no more oil went into the can...
I remember reading something related to this experienced by the Real Time Racing team many years ago.
Does anyone know how to cure this issue?

didn't they route the oil coming from the rear bank into a catch can and then back into the front bank, linking the two banks via the catch can? I think I remember that article on Dali's site years ago

didn't they route the oil coming from the rear bank into a catch can and then back into the front bank, linking the two banks via the catch can? I think I remember that article on Dali's site years ago

Hi Cam,

I found the article!
The url doesn't seem to be available anymore: www.dalmotorsports.com/cars.asp
Luckily, I printed the pages some time ago.
There should really be a sticky on NSXprime in my view.
The preferred fix is described as following:

1)Drill the side of the front valve cover (similar location as the hole in the rear valve cover)
2)Remove the pressed in tube sticking out of the rear valve cover (it's pressed in)
3)Tap both covers for AN fittings
4)Run a hose from one valve cover to another
5)Plug the hole in the intake hose before the throttle body
6)Plug the vacuum line (engine side) going to the front valve cover PCV (discard PCV)
7)Run a hose from the front valve cover (PCV hose) to the new catch can, preferrably as high as possible

I believe that as long as one locates the catch can connected to the rear valve cover high enough, the gravity will let the oil drain back into the engine when the lateral G force drops down.
I'll try that next!

Last edited:
The same article from DAL motorsports states that Honda modified the rear cam cover on the later (3.2 L?) models to correct the oil overflow issue.
Kaz ( [MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION] )might tell us more about this mod?

Back