• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Light Comes on...What now?

I have a 93 NSX with about 151k miles. The car runs great, I have recently had some work done to it unrelated to this problem. The other day, while driving, the "oil light" came on. I stopped and checked oil level and found it to be full. Pressure gauge never indicated a drop in whatsoever and has always been consistent. I Shut it down, started it up once again, no light. That was until 2 days later when I was driving it as normal and the light popped on again, then shut off when I turned the car off and never turned on for the rest of the drive home.

So now, I am scratching my head wondering what procedure I should take in order to eliminate the possibilities. Is there a way to easily check oil pressure? Is there a common failure of a sensor or swich I should check?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The NSX has two oil pressure sending units, the upper sending unit is located on the front cylinder head and is sending its information to your dash gauge. The lower sending unit is called an oil pressure switch and is located in the oil filter base, the part your oil filter screws into. This lower pressure switch is the unit that lights the oil light on the dash. If you have a service manual sec 8 page 5 covers the testing and replacement of the sending unit.

Link to service manual:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

Here is the part info:
37240-P13-013 SWITCH ASSY. OIL PRESSURE (DENSO) 1 1994 NSX $26.72

The link to the part it is item #12:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray...=OIL+COOLER-OIL+FILTER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

You should test the oil pressure following the instructions in the service manual. If the sensor is not the problem there could be an issue with the wires or the oil system itself.

Best of luck,

Dave

Last edited:
Back