• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil pressure too high?

zff

Registered Member
First of all, I've searched and I've searched, but I can't find any previous discussions here regarding high oil pressure. There are tons of discussons about oil pressure in general and many that discuss low oil pressure. I didn't read EVERY thread about oil pressure (there are just way too many) so my apologies if I missed it.

I just changed my oil yesterday to Mobil 1 10W-30 and now the oil pressure is unusually high. In a cold engine, the stock oil pressure gauge reads 4 at 1500rpm. With the engine warmed up, it reads a little under 5 at 3000rpm and maxes out at a little over 7 at 5500rpm. There is an approximately 1-unit drop at VTEC. Even at idle, the gauge never drops below 2.

I've checked the oil level numerous times and it's almost exactly halfway between the two holes on the dipstick. If anything, it's a tiny bit above halfway. The car was previously using Pennzoil 10w30 non-synthetic and pressures were registering about 1-1.5 units lower than they are now, with cold start oil pressure being significantly higher with the new oil.

I've been driving very carefully today, keeping RPMs below 3000 as much as I can. (Requires a lot of restraint!) I have a racer friend who told me horror stories about oil seals getting blown out because of too much oil pressure, so I'm a little concerned.

Does my oil pressure sound dangerously high? If so, what can be done to correct it?

TIA.

Thanks. That's good to know.

..but now I'm a little concerned that my oil pressure was so much lower when I had the old oil. Before I switched to synthetic oil, idle oil pressure was just a little higher than zero and I'd never seen it go over 6 at any RPM.

zff said:
Thanks. That's good to know.

..but now I'm a little concerned that my oil pressure was so much lower when I had the old oil. Before I switched to synthetic oil, idle oil pressure was just a little higher than zero and I'd never seen it go over 6 at any RPM.

Whats done is done,
Just change your oil and filter again in 1500 miles to help remove as much of the old cr** oil you were using, expect the mobil 1 to get dirty quick as it cleans out your motor. spend the $25.00 and change the oil every couple thou until its starts coming out fairly clean. You can get away with only doing the filter ever other time for now but put anther new filer on in 1500 then go from there.
By the way Mobil 1 will put up with and protect your engine in an extreme environment 10 times better than your old oil. I would run it fairly hard and do as above.
Just my $.02

Sounds like your pressure was too low before and now its ok, EDGE is right on the money, keep clean mobil 1 in there and you will have a happier engine :smile: ...JZ

zff said:
First of all, I've searched and I've searched, but I can't find any previous discussions here regarding high oil pressure. There are tons of discussons about oil pressure in general and many that discuss low oil pressure. I didn't read EVERY thread about oil pressure (there are just way too many) so my apologies if I missed it.
The NSX FAQ discusses what a normal oil pressure reading is. It's in the section called "Oil Pressure". When you enter the FAQ, click on Troubleshooting and you'll find it.

zff said:
Does my oil pressure sound dangerously high?
No.

Back