• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Weight?

I have a built 3.0L running 9:1 and 16 lbs from a supercharger putting 523 hp to the wheels. I live in Southern California, although we have had a pretty cool winter this year.

Any suggestions on what type of oil I should run? Would 10W-30 Mobil 1 be good enough? Any recommendation on running a higher weight oil like 10W-40 or 20W-50?

I've considered some of the more expensive synthetics, but being that I have a higher capacity oil pan, I'm reluctant to spend $100 per oil change if the differences between the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple and the like aren't significant.

Thanks.

I like Mobil 1 0W40. It's also ACEA A3 certified.

From another thread:

just remember guys when buying synthetics check the back of the bottle. an oil with the a High Temperature High Shear # greater than 3.5 is considered an A3 oil.

ACEA A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

ACEA A3 oils: (good)

Castrol Syntec:
0w-30
15w-50

BMW HP Synthetic:
5w-30,

Mobil 1:
0w-40

ACEA A1 oils (okay, but not up to the task):

Castrol Syntec:
5w-30
10w-30

Mobil1:
0w-30
5w-30
10w-30

I live in Northern California. San Jose to be specific.

Mobil 1 changed there formulation a few years ago. It is not as good as it was.
I stopped using it in my wifes Mits EVO. I switched to AMS.

I use AMS 10-40. in my NSX. I was using Redline 10-30 but switched to AMS.
The molly seemed to separate out of the Redline.
I hear Motul is also good but I don't have a local source.

I have an Accusump and an oil change is around 8 qts.
I still change my oil around every 2-4k miles.
I go to the track frequently more oil change is good insurance.

Brian,

Here's an article that I read the other day, and it looks like Torco didn't do so well. http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oils_against_oils.shtml

The review is a little bias and the comparisons are vs different weight and viscosity. It just happens that they are an Amsoil authorized dealer! Which is nice hehe

This is the best site for oil related information for everyone to read. It really helps to know about some of the myths associated with oils in general.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Here in The Netherlands, in 2001 the Subaru club had a extensive oiltest done where all different oilsamples of 35 Subaru Impreza turbo's both in standard and (highly) tuned version were analized by the “KLAS” laboratory of Kendall Motor Oil in the USA.
It is a big test with lots of graphs of the wear residues found in the samples, however all in dutch.
The main result was that based on about 35 oil samples tested, by far the best oil weight in these cars was a 5W50 weight oil.

I live in Northern California. San Jose to be specific.

Mobil 1 changed there formulation a few years ago. It is not as good as it was.

Probably pulled out the Moly because it was reducing catalytic converter life. I think a number of oil manufacturers did that at the request of the auto manufacturers so their cats would go 100k miles. Soon after that there was a sharp increase in cam lobe and follower failures. Correlation, or just low quality steel from China, or a combination of the two?

I have used AMSOIL for years, 0W-30W to be specific and a WIX filter. I change the oil filter every 6 months and the oil once a year. I've personally think that it's the best you can get until someone can prove me wrong; I have yet to find anyone.

Here is some information pulled straight from the Mobile 1 website -

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mobil1_vs_Amsoil_Long_Drains.aspx

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cnhdr-blue>Question: </TD></TR><TR><TD class=boldBodyText>Does Mobil 1 or Amsoil Provide Best Protection for Longer Drain Intervals?</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyText>I read on the internet that Amsoil has interval change of 25,000 miles and say they back it up with oil testing done on fleet commercial trucks. What is your opinion how Mobil 1 vs Amsoil compares? Can you quote if testing has been done and which is better? I would really like to know who makes the best oil and why Mobil says to change oil at recommended intervals by the manufacturer. If Mobil 1 Extended Protection is used the change interval is still only 15,000 miles compared to Amsoil saying 25,000 miles. I currently use Mobil 1 in both of my Toyota Tundra and 4 Runner, but Amsoil claims of 25,000 miles with fleet testing gets me thinking maybe I should change to Amsoil? Your honest reply citing professional standards used would be appreciated by many of the public (i.e., ASTM). I really would like to know who has the best protection and why. Your reply is greatly appreciated. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyText>-- Greg Galbreath, Palmdale, CA</TD></TR><TR><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cnhdr-blue>Answer: </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyText>We certainly can’t speak for AMSOIL. But you can see the kind of testing we put our product through by looking at the recent Las Vegas field testing we completed with Mobil 1 in Las Vegas taxis. In addition, Mobil 1 is chosen by more car manufacturers as factory fill in their vehicles than any other motor oil. We also are approved against the latest industry standards and appear on the OEM approval lists of all the major manufacturers. Mobil 1 is all about protection and helping to extend the life of your vehicle.

Here is an additional web sites -

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles/amsoils-big-competitors/

I know that a lot of people out there are going to most likely come back and say, "Well they sell AMSOIL." The truth of the matter is your right, but the test were performed independently and not by AMSOIL although they paid for the test - that being said I have yet to see any other oil manufactures provide test results comparing so many synthetic oils against each other. You will also note that AMSOIL did score lower on the cold cranking viscosity test, not anything significant though.

Just my opinion, always open for some education from a better informed individual/expert out there.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
In the end Royal Purple is the only 100% pure synthetic anyways .. :D

OScar

I'm a service Manager for Jiffy Lube so I thought I'd drop my two cents in here.Why not use Quaker state Qes5W40 witch is what Ferrari use's for factory fill or Pennzoil synthetic as its approved for use by Honda and Gm. As for Mobil being factory fill its only cuz Mobil give's the oil for free to fill the cars like the vett but GM must put a mobil tag under the hood.O and there is no such thing as weight for oil just viscosity.That W stands for Winter. So you also need to look at where you live and how cold it gets to know what oil you should use.

Thanks for the input, fellas. There is certainly a lot of information out there, but it's rather difficult to sort the marketing hype from fact.

I'll probably get some easily accessible Mobil 1 for now while I sort through the rest of the information. It's inexpensive enough that an early change won't hurt much. ;)

Back