• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinion: 02' NSX vs. 01' NSX

Just wanted to get your opinion on the 02' NSX vs. the pre-02' design. Personally, I didn't like the 02' NSX when it first came out, but the lights are growing on me, and I'm liking it more now. Here are pics for comparison:

nsx1.jpg

newnsx1.jpg

nsx2.jpg

newnsx2.jpg

nsx3.jpg

newnsx3.jpg

Thanks for your feedback!

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

How the heck did you get photos of two same-color cars in the same place and lighting etc, one an '01 and the other an '02? And they don't look photoshopped, either. Good job.

It's a shame they didn't remove the front license plate (advertisement) on the 02. It would have made the comparison more accurate.

Anyway, I still prefer the 01. Although the back end of the 02 is fine.

The front of the 02 is too bulbous and ponderous. The 01 had more visual interest and the setback below the horizontal seam, made the bumper appear smaller and more elegant.

It's not the car I fell in love with.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Yes, the pics are from eBay, and these are two cars that I'm seriously looking at purchasing right now.

I'm definitely with Jag; love the rear of the 02' but prefer the front of the 01'. How much is it to get the 02' rear valence for the 01'?

I prefer the 2002...especially the NSX-R. I'm telling you guys...it's like fine wine, gets better with age!

2002NSX1.jpg

nsxprimeforums.jpg

2002%20NSX%20Yellow%20side2.jpg

186374525825-auto-resized200.gif

I think the 2002 does it's job in updated and making the pre 02 look kinda dated...

[This message has been edited by true (edited 27 December 2002).]

I used to not care for the 02 look, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. It really makes the car look mroe muscular and modern. A lot of sharp lines are now more organic with the 02. Don't forget the 02 has better aerodynamic and more sporty suspension as well. So if I had to buy a new NSX, I would special order a 02 coupe.
biggrin.gif

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

Originally posted by O-Ace:
I'm definitely with Jag; love the rear of the 02' but prefer the front of the 01'. How much is it to get the 02' rear valence for the 01'?

You'll find all the info you need here, including part #'s, prices & where to get the parts at the best price. Essentially ~$550 for both parts (excluding shipping, tax if appropriate & paint of course) at Niello Acura, Sacramento CA.

I cast my vote with those who think the '01 front looks better than the '02, but the '02 rear looks better than the '01. I recently had to choose between the '01 and '02, and I bought a red '01 because I really like the traditional NSX front. I think it looks more aggressive than the '02.

eBay Hunt..

BTW.. regarding the side skirts... the 02 one sorta look different compared to the pre 01 on where the skirt and the front fender meet. Are the 01 02 side skirts interchangeable or not?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
How the heck did you get photos of two same-color cars in the same place and lighting etc, one an '01 and the other an '02? And they don't look photoshopped, either. Good job.

and the lines of the door are different... however I think its a stick on Job.. rather and whole new tooling of the doors..

Do not personally care for the '02 doors & skirts - if they wanted to change anything in that area they only had to look at WW - the additional scoop makes all the difference to the appearance.

I personally believe that NSXs are not photogenic. Don't get me wrong. They are still beautiful in pictures, but in person, they look SO much better (it's like from wow to WOW). I think that this photogenic effect is more exaggerated in 02 case. I did not like it in the picture, but when I saw one, I coudl not believe my eyes.

I vote for 2002 (I wish that the yellow indicator lights (corners) were clear, though).

This is an easy question to answer.

'02 Rear with the '01 Front. Hands down, no doubt.

In person the new '02 Front is waaaaay too evocative of the old Mitsu 3000GT's final look, which is not something that most of us would want to be reminded of. Oh, and the circle front clip cutouts on the nose of the '02 look out of place as if the new front was tacked on in an aftermarket way. I'd like HID lights as much as the next guy but there's no way I'd put up with the '02's front look to get them.

However, there is a small exception to my recommendation on the '02 rear, the orange colored turn signal lenses are hideously awful and violently sting all eyes who fall upon them.
smile.gif

The 01 for sure, hands down the best looking, both front and rear. The '01 has the timeless look, the '02 looks modern now but it will look dated in 10 years from now. The back of the '01 is thin and elegant, the '02 is trendy and muscular and will fade in time.

Have you guys ever seen a Cisitalia? That is a car with a timeless look! That is what the NSX will become in 25 years from now - a timeless, gorgeous design that everyone will praise.

As always, this is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to disagree :D

The 01 for sure, hands down the best looking, both front and rear. The '01 has the timeless look, the '02 looks modern now but it will look dated in 10 years from now. The back of the '01 is thin and elegant, the '02 is trendy and muscular and will fade in time.

Have you guys ever seen a Cisitalia? That is a car with a timeless look! That is what the NSX will become in 25 years from now - a timeless, gorgeous design that everyone will praise.

As always, this is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to disagree
biggrin.gif

1HOT NSX: u obviously posted that twice coz u knew i wanted to say the same thing.
smile.gif

The 02 will date quickly.
The NSX is already a classic... why wait 25yrs to call it that?
wink.gif

In my opinion. I would not trade my 01 for an 02. The front bumper just doesn't look right; those bulges where the parking lights used to be just look out of place. And, you don't need an 02 to get HID lights. The best thing I did for my car was get the Tubi exhaust. For the looks alone, 4 pipes out the back. The square exhaust cut-out in the rear diffuser looks like it was made for twin pipes on each side.

And keep in mind, this is just my opinion... and i'm not saying one is better than the other. They are all good.

btw.. I think Honda missed the boat with the facelift by not adding any additional HP. Another 40 HP and we wouldn't be asking the question which we'd rather have.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Until today I felt that Honda just crammed new headlights on a old design. The pictures you posted really do show a significant amount of changes. I now like the 02 design more than I did yesterday. I still think the side profile shot with the headlights bulging out of the hood is ugly.

I'm one of those people who even hated the '02 more after seeing it in person. Checked out a yellow, black, silver, and red '02 at a couple dealerships in So Cal and could not appreciate the new design. The rear looks good, but after looking at it closely there is a part where its painted to give an illusion that its 2 separate pieces when its just one piece. I don't like that at all. It's kinda like the 3000GT rear valence where they had to paint parts of it black to make it look like it had vents when it does not. Makes it look cheap IMHO.

I like the larger wheels though, which is why I got those for my '01. Its not so much the styling of the new wheels, its the fact that they are 17 inch all around and is NSX specific.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

The more i look at the photos you've taken above, the more i can appreciate the 2002 NSX... but my money will still go into a 2001 or earlier model.

i look at it like the S2000; it's beautiful, but it's a relative so i won't touch it.

------------------
<FONT COLOR=red>Neo</FONT>NSX
If the Matrix is real, then the NSX is just a figment of your imagination. That sux.

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 28 December 2002).]

Back