• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Optimum Ride FIC Custom Turbo

She's finally done and put down 390. I'm trying to get the fabricator on the forum to help answer questions but here are some pics and specs. The car is going back in for another tune now that the boost controller is behaving. The goal is 400 rwhp.

Optimum Ride Custom FIC Turbo Kit
Turbo - Boost
1. Custom T67 Garret Turbo (Angus)
2. 46mm Waste Gate (Angus)
3. HKS SQV3 BOV
4. Spearco Custom Intercooler
Turbo - Fuel
1. 440cc Bosch Injectors (Angus)
2. Walbro 255 Lph Fuel Pump
3. Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
Turbo - Oil
1. Science of Speed Oil Pan Baffle
2. AP-X Scavenge Oil Pump (Angus )
3. Stainless Lines
4. Science of Speed Oil Cooler Kit
5. Canton Oil Relocation Kit
Turbo - Electronics
1. AEM EMS Standalone
2. HKS EVC-S Boost Controller
3. AEM Air Fuel Ratio Gauge
4. Defi Boost Gauge
Turbo - General
1. Optimum Ride urethane motor mounts
2. NGK Iridium FI Plugs
3. Optimum Ride catch can
4. Green High Performance Air Filter

IMG_0396.jpg

1411.jpg

1351.jpg

NSX0731091210-1.jpg

0921.jpg

0891.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Attachments

• NSX+Dyno[1].pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Wow , how does it drive?

Last edited:
What's up Will!! I really appreciate all of your help. We could not have got through it without you.

The car drives really smooth since the boost does not kick in at the lower RPMs. It reminds me of a traction control unit. You hit the triple digits pretty fast though. I kind of like it this way...my last car was a little tough to keep in a straight line.

Last edited:
hmm. looks like there might be too much backpressure. might want to do something about that.

Wow, that is an interesting setup. I know very little about turbo systems but does that long intake cause lag? I would also love to hear what you car sounds like. Do you have any videos you could post?

Keep up the good work.

Wow, that is an interesting setup. I know very little about turbo systems but does that long intake cause lag? I would also love to hear what you car sounds like. Do you have any videos you could post?

Keep up the good work.

I think Joe is willing to sacrifice a bit of performance at the expense of having a really cool setup , I would try this too if I was not so busy!

The car looks fantastic!

There is a reason why no one has done this before- so you should reconsider your layout. Probably at least 20 extra feet of plumbing/dead space than a typical ATW or ATA IC set up in the rear. Not optimum at all and compounding the problem of turbo selection, and piping sizes and lengths. Also, my tunnel was already jammed with the coolant tubes(x2), AN-16 lines (x2) and AN-12 lines (x2) in my setup, so how did you get the two coolant tubes to accept two additional rigid pipes? My apologies if I cam across too judgmental or critical.

Best Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
There is a reason why no one has done this before- so you should reconsider your layout. Probably at least 20 extra feet of plumbing/dead space than a typical ATW or ATA IC set up in the rear. Not optimum at all and compounding the problem of turbo selection, and piping sizes and lengths. Also, my tunnel was already jammed with the coolant tubes(x2), AN-16 lines (x2) and AN-12 lines (x2) in my setup, so how did you get the two coolant tubes to accept two additional rigid pipes? My apologies if I cam across too judgmental or critical.

Best Regards,

Danny

Yes , you and I both know these things .

As I said, I think that Joe is willing to sacrifice in that name of being unique and cool!

Nothing wrong with that as long as you are willing to accept it!

My name is Dustin Weinand. I have been Fabricating and racing cars Professionally for the last 8 years. I designed and fabricated the FMIC Piping and Exhaust tubing for Joe Along with the HUGE HELP provided by Will. I'm jumping on for Joe to help answer some tech questions anyone might have. There is abundant amount of info on turbo trim sizes and piping sizes for rear mount turbo set ups that are very successful. I spent a lot of time in researching those kits that were successful. I applied those that were successful to Joe's NSX, OPTIMIZING to the individual. Giving him a car no one else has.

To start with, I stepped down his 2" header piping gradually by 1/8" increments to finally enter the split housing turbo with dual 1 3/4". this will help with spool up. Next, I used 2" aluminum tubing to run all the way from the Turbo, to the intercooler and finally I stepped up the 2" aluminum just before entering the throttle body. This gives the Air a very low temp compared to other cooling methods, making boost safe for his engine with 100% stock internals. The 2 inch tubing has excellent velocity and can support 500HP. Using only the radiator cooling fan on the DYNO, the FMIC kept the air temps so low, we could run it back to back with no heat saturation.

Fabricating the initial IC piping took a lot of time and planing. many www.burnsstainless.com orders were placed to get the correct amount of material and to get the correct bends. As stated earlier, it is very tight to get the piping under the tank, down the tunnel, over the rack and back down again. It's a time consuming fitting process, but not impossible. I know I'm not the First to think of it, But it seams I'm the first to do it.

I hope my work can inspire everyone who sees it. Thank you for your comments

Setup looks amazing! Great job on a very unique system. I could see some pro's and con's in the system but for what you were after I think you accomplished it very well.

For those that are nah saying, should read up on the Corvette rear mounted turbo kits. Although not mid engine the same concepts have had to been used with what would be considered excess intercooler piping and proper flow tuning to combat possible extreme turbo lag.

Did you ever thinking of ceramic coating the pipes so that way you can lower the amount of heat transferred from the pipes to the ambient air in order to keep your pressure and velocities up?

carlos

While it may not be the most optimal way, I give you credit for trying something new. I do wonder how you were able to fit the charge piping in the tunnel. Does the factory tunner cover still fit or is it sticking out from the bottom of the car?

Setup looks amazing! Great job on a very unique system. I could see some pro's and con's in the system but for what you were after I think you accomplished it very well.

For those that are nah saying, should read up on the Corvette rear mounted turbo kits. Although not mid engine the same concepts have had to been used with what would be considered excess intercooler piping and proper flow tuning to combat possible extreme turbo lag.

First,
It has been found that the set-up is terribly in-efficient by many that have tested rear mount turbo applications. The ONLY thing good that can be said is the AIT's are found to be lower.

Also hard to compare this to a rear mount since the air runs from the back to the front....this is double that. DOUBLE. It has to go all the way to the front, and then all the way back.

It would be just silly of us to compare or even say its similar in the fact that this is TWICE the distance. We make a big deal how a rear mount turbo is twice the distance of intercooler piping from a standard set-up and look at all the discussion and stur that caused. So now to go TWICE the distance again we can't even say they are similar, or we would be saying that a front mount and rear mount are similar. You following my logic?

I THINK ANGUS SAID IT BEST: he just wanted to be different. Its not efficient, and its not proper, but it doesn't matter its what he wanted and really that's what counts.

But for us trying to now bring up corvette crap and talk about how "successful" it is there, and that this could be designed proper.......please, those companies try to justify there engineering BS to sell kits, but don't drop yourself to there level and try to sell it to others on a forum who probably don't know better.

Please lets just leave the thread alone on that note...we know what the set-up is, lets not try and JUSTIFY it and say its something its not.

J. R.

PS. I absolutely think the set-up is VERY cool. The FMIC looks great up there and I am sure its going to leave many people baffled. Now lets get this thread back on topic.

Nothing in my post claimed it to be an effecient setup and better in anyway, merely stated that with properly tuned piping you can elliminate excessive turbo lag. Again "excessive" because that was a concern of most.

Wasnt trying to convince anyone to drop the already present design and start going this route.

Merely mentioned the corvette setups (or any other rear mounted setup) because the discussions, facts, theories, etc are already up on the forums and magazines which cover this topic thruroughly whether positive or negative.

Have a nice day :smile:

I like the manifold/turbo/bracing and the twin scroll. Truly sick work! My advice is to go air to water and have a badass setup.

Here's an updated mod list and a video link to the build of this kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBybevaQmZE&feature=channel_video_title

Turbo - Boost
1. Custom T67 Turbo
2. Turbosmart Hyper Gate 45mm Waste Gate
3. Turbosmart Vee Port Internal BOV
4. Spearco Custom Intercooler
Turbo - Fuel
1. 440cc Bosch Injectors
2. Deatsch Werk Fuel Pump
3. Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
4. Aeromotive Fuel Filter
Turbo - Oil
1. Science of Speed Oil Pan Baffle
2. AP-X Scavenge Oil Pump
3. Stainless Lines
4. Science of Speed Oil Cooler Kit
5. Canton Oil Relocation Kit
Turbo - Electronics
1. AEM EMS Standalone
2. Turbosmart E-Boost Street Boost Controller
3. AEM Air Fuel Ratio Gauge
4. Defi Boost Gauge
Turbo - General
1. Optimum Ride urethane motor mounts
2. NGK Iridium FI Plugs
3. Optimum Ride catch can
4. Green High Performance Air Filter
Performance
1. Short Shifter Kit w/ Dali Type R Stainless Knob
2. Cantrell Headers
3. Dual Moroso Stainless Spiral Flow Muffler
4. RPS Clutch
5. Optima Yellow Top Battery
6. Custom Battery Mount
Aesthetics
1. Downforce Type R Hood
2. Downforce Rear Diffuser
3. JP Aero Urethane Front Lip
4. Downforce Type R Wing
6. Downforce Rear Window Garnish
7. Zanardi style mesh side vent
8. Cantrell Carbon Mesh Engine Cover
9. GT One Side Skirts
10. Dali carbon motor accents
11. Down Force front under body diffuser
Interior
1. Recaro Pole Positions
2. Optimum Ride Custom Seat Brackets
3. Momo Jet 350mm Steering Wheel
4. NRG Hub and Quick Release
5. RM Racing Harness Bar
6. Schroth Rally 3 ASM Belts
7. Dali Carbon Pillars
Suspension and Chassis
2. Type R Front Sway Bar
3. Type S Rear Sway Bar
4. Type S Springs
5. Bilstein Shocks
6. Cedar Ridge Front Non-compliance Clamps
Wheels & Tires
1. Advan RZ 17 x 8 +37, 18 x 10 + 35
2. Nitto NT01 225/45 front and 275/40 rear
Brakes
1. Stoptech BBK
- 2 Piece Floating Directional 328x28mm AeroRotors
- 4 Piston ST-40 Calipers
- Stainless Steel Brake Line
2. Tilton proportioning valve = ABS removed

I was looking at your dyno chart what kind of boost are you running? and is it holding steady psi all the way to red-line. The power curve looks really flat on the top end. It looks like there should be a lot more power in the setup. Make sure that vtec is coming on as well as the secondary butterfly's in the intake manifold.

Holy cow I dont know what you paid for this install but whatever it was he didnt charge you enough. That install is very good and the attention to detail is above average. Nice job. Does the car have cometic head gaskets and head studs? If it does than your only limiting factor is your injector sizing.(if you Want lots of whp)......... Anybody reading this watch the vid on his mod post and video link,its worth the couple of minutes. GREAT JOB.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back