• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ordering parts from Amayama

Depending on how much money it is you will end up with an import duty tax. At least that is how it was for me on an order. I think Fed Ex just sent a bill after the fact as far as I can remember.

Sure, here are some tips/pointers. I've had several successful large and small orders from them so far. Several thousand $ and hundreds of items so far and everything has been flawless. They're my #1 parts source if I can afford to wait.

-They might have to delay the order a few days with the price change happening today (in JP). Items that increase in price from your original order will be automatically cancelled and you'll have to reorder, so if you're trying to get ahead of the price increase now it will be a waste of time.
-They have an ETA for all parts, "6d waiting from supplier" is the standard ETA with a 95% chance they can get it in a few days. Longer than that means the part is backordered.
-You place the order with your BOM, 1-2 days for them to review the order/approve/quote shipping, you pay and they order from their suppliers, 2-3 days minimum for the items to arrive at their warehouse and for them to very nicely package everything, and 3-5 days for it to arrive. Usually a ~1.5-2 week turnaround if all the parts are available.
-They only ship the order once all parts have arrived at their warehouse. If a part is backordered you'll be prompted to accept or reject the wait, if you accept, you'll have to wait for it to arrive for the order to ship so don't accept if you need the package quickly.
-They don't work on weekends, only Mon-Fri Japan time.
-Fedex/UPS/DHL is the only shipping option since EMS was discontinued last year from COVID, shipping costs seem to start at ~$80 and go up quickly for larger packages. Shipping costs on the website are largely meaningless, they review and quote shipping for an order after you submit it.
-You have to pay any duties on the package in your home country, but I haven't ever been asked to pay duties for any package, maybe just luck. One package was held in customs for an extra day but was released after I called Fedex.
-My only real complaint is their customer service usually takes 1-2 days to respond and it doesn't feel like you're talking to a real person. I'm also pretty sure they don't do returns, so be quadruple sure you're ordering what you actually want. I've never had an issue with an item or wanted to return one so hasn't been a problem for me. Once you pay and they order the item, you can't cancel the order. They're not a traditional store (just a parts middleman), all parts are OEM Honda so there's never fitment issues and I've never had a damaged item.

Last edited:
Wow, couldn't have asked for better/more info, thanks! Next question is, I'm ordering standard stuff... water pump, timing belt, hoses. Basically, I'm doing a clutch and timing belt and should do maintenance stuff while I'm in there. Should I just consider buying this stuff state-side? How different is the cost? I've actually never bought any parts for my '91 except from private party.

Sure thing. What I do is just pull up the prices on an Acura parts site and Amayama to compare each one. I use https://honda-europe.epc-data.com/nsx/ for Amayama but you have to select your correct LHD/RHD, M/T vs A/T, year, etc. Tons of parts are handed so don't order the wrong one.

Example, clutch fork. https://www.amayama.com/en/part/honda/22820pr8000 versus https://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/oem-parts/acura-fork-clutch-release-22820pr8000 (actually my local Acura dealer).

-price from Amayama is lower, but shipping will make up the difference. Combine a bunch of items in one order to save on overall shipping cost.
-you should message the Acura parts dealer before placing an order, their stock availability online is wrong more often than not. They only tell you after you order, I'd say ~40% of my orders from Acura have had to be cancelled from no parts available.
-MUCH more likely that Ama has a part available than Acura, and US/CA dealer parts availability and prices are garbage. TB/WP parts are probably one of the only exceptions to the cost/availability rule, both are about the same price and usually in-stock from Acura so take your pick.
-Acura dealers usually get parts next-day, but only if a part is available in the first place. You'll probably end up paying more for it, but if you really need a part fast, get it from a local dealer after you've made sure they actually have it available.

It's too late now, but MITA would have been the better option for some of those parts before the April 1st price changes. We'll see what the prices are after. With the new prices going into effect you'll have to cross shop to see who has the best price after shipping and discounts (acurapartsforless.com, nsx-parts.com, mitamotorsports.com, amayama, etc).

So other parts you should check are cam plugs as they tend to leak and maybe replace the crankshaft pulley or get a shield from CRF.
https://www.cedarridgeparts.com/nsx#motor

I recommend Tim Poliniak with www.oemacuraparts.com.

7am-4pm M-F EST
1-866-347-8355
Tim Poliniak

Last edited:
For those outside of the USA: amayama is 1/3-1/4 the price of the local Honda dealer. The only problem is that some "boutique" items are not available or they won't ship (at least not competitively) pressurized items (gas struts, the ALB ball), grease pots (but they will sell axle boots which come with grease packets), and strict USDM items (not available in their database and they can't make a special order, I've tried). And some oversize items (bumpers, chin, etc...) or fragile items (glass) I can't get them to ship...at least not to NZ.

This means I still have to order some from USA and have the parts forwarded to me.

Last edited:
+1 for Amayama

If you get charged an importa tarriff/tax with Fedex. You ought to challenge it. I've had a couple i've challenged because I wanted to see the calculation and it's been 9-12 months and i've heard nothing from them. They billed me separately and I challenged the bill.

+1 for Amayama

If you get charged an importa tarriff/tax with Fedex. You ought to challenge it. I've had a couple i've challenged because I wanted to see the calculation and it's been 9-12 months and i've heard nothing from them. They billed me separately and I challenged the bill.

I got dinged on my transmission case, so I called the lady at FedEx and just paid it. Wasn't that much and it was worth it to avoid the hassle.

As for Amayama, they are very easy to deal with. They are my favorite parts source because they have a Level 99 Warlock grade packager for the parts. I have never seen parts packed this well from any vendor ever. I almost feel bad about unpacking the boxes. I've ordered almost $20,000 in parts from them, big and small, and everything has always been perfect.

Same, their packaging is next level. Like an art form. The boxes are relatively small but they fit everything like Tetris. I always go through the packing list and mark every bolt off, and they've never messed up a single part out of hundreds and I've never had a shipping issue. Partly why I direct everyone I can to them.

Unfortunately like drew said there are some items that are too big for them or considered hazardous. Something long and stiff (hmm) like a brake hardline is usually too big for them to ship, their shipping box types seem limited to some standard dimension rectangular boxes.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with ordering through Amayama.
Here in Australia, Honda dealers charge insane amounts for NSX parts so I go through Amayama.
Delivery time is reasonable too.

Never had an issue with them. Just know your part numbers and you can find deals on just about out anything.

Amayama now has a New Zealand depot in Auckland, parts take about a week to arrive.

w00t!

Honda parts from the dealer have Ferrari and Aston Martin markups here in NZ. My local dealer wanted US$65 (NZ$90) for the small pot of urea grease (08798-9002) that costs US$10 and a special order surcharge. I was doing a clutch and needed a small amount to grease the splines. So I offered to just pay $20 for small portion of their, presumably, in-use shop grease tub. No, they don't use it either because it is too expensive, and not a lot of manual transmission cars in NZ, so "no".

My Legend KB1 front LCA's ball joints had wear and failed WOF/MOT. They didn't even bother to give me an estimate for repairs as dealer parts and labor would exceed the value of the vehicle and I can buy a currently compliant KB1 for less. They stated they send out the control arms for rebuild in Auckland and even that would be expensive. So Amazon to the rescue with Chinese knocks offs at US$300+shipping...so I bought a bunch of "contraband" that sits in my shopping cart for such occasions shipped it all in. I saved the old control arms because I'm really curious how they get rebuilt...I don't think the CN ones will last as long as OEM.

Last edited:
I have found a competitor: https://en.impex-jp.com/

Seems to have better prices and a wider selection than amayama.

I made an part order for a Honda motorcycle and was searching around for a source of parts for the bike. NZ prices are insanely high, especially for a cheap bastard like yours truly, and it feels like I should be filing reports with the police department when ordering parts locally.

I'll let you know how it works. So far one issue is that pricing of a small item when up $0.10 over charged amount, so the entire order was suspended pending payment of the difference. To send over $0.10 would cost an extra $5.00 in exchange fees...so I canceled that specific item and will pick it up at a later order (presuming all else is as expected).

I have found a competitor: https://en.impex-jp.com/

Seems to have better prices and a wider selection than amayama.

I made an part order for a Honda motorcycle and was searching around for a source of parts for the bike. NZ prices are insanely high, especially for a cheap bastard like yours truly, and it feels like I should be filing reports with the police department when ordering parts locally.

I'll let you know how it works. So far one issue is that pricing of a small item when up $0.10 over charged amount, so the entire order was suspended pending payment of the difference. To send over $0.10 would cost an extra $5.00 in exchange fees...so I canceled that specific item and will pick it up at a later order (presuming all else is as expected).
I've been using Impex for the past few orders and they are good. Packing quality is not at the level of Amayama though.

Back