• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Out of an M3, into an NSX...

Like most of you, I have always had an itch for an NSX (along with a dozen other exotics which I intend to do one at a time over the years). I'm getting out of my '02 M3 Convertible, which is a great car but I'm ready for a change. It's not enough of an exotic to keep me happy.

So, I found an '02 Silverstone/black with just under 11k miles, absolutely perfect condition with new tires. In-service date is November '02 so it's got some warranty left. He'll sell it to me for $57k. Is that a decent deal? I'd rather have the '04 because I prefer the '04 shift knob & silver dash trim & gauge rings, but I can't find one for less than $65k.

Also, according to my Acura dealer, they will sell me a 4-year Certified Warranty on this car for another $2,300. Is that worth it? Would it be better to get an '04 which will have 2 more years of original warranty in the $65k- range?

Thanks for your thoughts.

mountainman said:
Like most of you, I have always had an itch for an NSX (along with a dozen other exotics which I intend to do one at a time over the years). I'm getting out of my '02 M3 Convertible, which is a great car but I'm ready for a change. It's not enough of an exotic to keep me happy.

So, I found an '02 Silverstone/black with just under 11k miles, absolutely perfect condition with new tires. In-service date is November '02 so it's got some warranty left. He'll sell it to me for $57k. Is that a decent deal? I'd rather have the '04 because I prefer the '04 shift knob & silver dash trim & gauge rings, but I can't find one for less than $65k.

Also, according to my Acura dealer, they will sell me a 4-year Certified Warranty on this car for another $2,300. Is that worth it? Would it be better to get an '04 which will have 2 more years of original warranty in the $65k- range?

57k seems pretty good for an 02 with that few miles. Have the car inspected at an acura dealer (a PPI - pre purchase inspection) and if it comes back clean, I would forgo the extended warranty. I'ts more likely that you'll need to replace worn parts not covered under warranty (like brakes, tires, clutch, etc) over the next 4 years (depending on how much you drive it) than spend 2300 dollars on repairs. A clean NSX is quite worry free when it comes to unexpected mechanical failure.

That deal sounds fair. I agree w/ not purchasing the warranty--the only thing that you'll need any money for in the next 4 years is regular service items like brakes, tires, timing belt & water pump--and all that combined won't equal >$3,000

Your clutch should last at least 50K with normal driving if not longer, and that'll be about $2,800 parts/labor when it goes.

As far as the "heavianium" 04+ shift knob, I like that too. They're not cheap but you can buy it and sell your old one here on Prime!: http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1687.

There are some guage cluster options as well that are certainly cheaper than buying a 04 instead!

Welcome to the club! If you do end up w/ the NSX you'll find Prime to be extremely informative with extremely knowledgeable members eager to help.

Where are you located? We might be able to direct you to a more experienced NSX tech for your PPI. Not all Acura dealers are well-versed in servicing the NSX.

Guys, thanks for your feedback - very helpful. I think I'll skip the warranty, it's nice to hear that these cars are reliable to the point a warranty is unnecessary!

I'm in Denver but this car is in SoCal (Orange County area). I would really appreciate your directing me to an NSX expert other than a dealer (I agree dealers can be pretty un-knowledgeable).

Thanks also for the link to Dali's shift knob. That's at the top of my list. Do you happen to know if the center console trim is the same on the '02 as on the '03-'05? The photos I've seen seem to change a lot with lighting and I can't tell if the '03-'05 has a different (lighter silver) center console & door trim than the '02 and earlier.

mountainman said:
Guys, thanks for your feedback - very helpful. I think I'll skip the warranty, it's nice to hear that these cars are reliable to the point a warranty is unnecessary!

I'm in Denver but this car is in SoCal (Orange County area). I would really appreciate your directing me to an NSX expert other than a dealer (I agree dealers can be pretty un-knowledgeable).

Thanks also for the link to Dali's shift knob. That's at the top of my list. Do you happen to know if the center console trim is the same on the '02 as on the '03-'05? The photos I've seen seem to change a lot with lighting and I can't tell if the '03-'05 has a different (lighter silver) center console & door trim than the '02 and earlier.

Autowave is your place for service in the SoCal area. Do a search...

Also, yes, the center console/door trim may be different from 04+. Dali can handle that too. Dali can get any OEM, JDM or Type-R part.

mountainman said:

The price is right, way right... As for the warrentee, I got my 03 with 3600 miles on it and it was a certified Honda Used car, which comes with 100k powertrain warrantee, but I bought the bumper to bumper warrentee for extra $1700 bucks. I'm sure you can get some where close to it. I do know older the car, more expensive the warrentee will be, but I don't think it will be 500 more. Good luck, and welcome to the club.

mountainman said:

are you talking about the that lawyers car? I have seen it. It is a POS.

Edit: find my review here, hope it is not the same car:http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50520 Notice the car has been for sale for over a year?!!!!?

mountainman said:

Damn im thinking about getting out of my M3 cab too. But its the fully auto convert top and the extra back seats ..oh and the heated seats....thats making it hard for me to switch.

mountainman said:
I'm getting out of my '02 M3 Convertible, which is a great car but I'm ready for a change. It's not enough of an exotic to keep me happy.

Congratulations on moving up to an NSX. The M3 was not enough of an exotic? I got a chuckle out of that one. The only exotic BMW ever built was the M1 and that was almost 30 years ago. Only 450 were ever built and it was never imported into the US. The M3 is to exotics as the banjo player in Deliverance is to Jimmy Page. :)

You're going to LOVE your NSX. Just maintain her properly and she'll reward you with unlimited miles of driving bliss. I agree that you don't need the extended warranty. Just make sure the car you're looking at gets a complete PPI (including compression/leakdown) at an Acura dealership or a competent mechanic so you don't have any unwelcome surprises.

Hugh said:
Congratulations on moving up to an NSX. The M3 was not enough of an exotic? I got a chuckle out of that one. The only exotic BMW ever built was the M1 and that was almost 30 years ago. Only 450 were ever built and it was never imported into the US. The M3 is to exotics as the banjo player in Deliverance is to Jimmy Page. :)

Aint' that the truth! I consider selling mine because it's so friggin common! Good Lord I see myself coming and going about five times a day! But it's good car and does a lot of things well ,plus it's a great winter sportscar with winter tires:eek:

Back