• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Owners of 97+ NSX

I just sold my '94NSX and am thinking about getting a new 2000 NSX. I would like to know from owners who have 97+ NSXs whether they feel their cars with the larger engine and refinements are a lot better than the pre-97 NSXs. Do you owners feel your car accelerates more quickly with the added horsepower but sacrafice in handling due to the softer suspension? Have you guys ever take on a Porsche 996 or C5 Corvette? And if so, how did you do? Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

CChung,
I have a '94 with a six speed and performance mods that net me about 315hp at the crank. I eat C5 Corvettes all day long. By the time I shift into third gear they are SEVERAL car lengths behind. The main improvement you will notice over your (I assume stock) '94 is the gearing. The six speed will make a world of difference in acceleration over your 5 speed gearing.

I would have to agree with Tampabaynsx-r. The 6spd, is a huge improvement over the 5spd., especially with the 4.55 r&p. I know because this week I was finally able to try out my new 6spd, 4.55r&p's, and CT competition clutch, and with approx. 305hp at the crank (10hp less than Tampabaynsx-r)I could also eat C5's alive. It is truly INCREDIBLE, the difference of power you get with this setup. WOW!!!!!!!

p.s. my nsx is a '91 with 80k miles.
Black/Ivory

p.s. When I mentioned "the difference in power you get with this set up", I meant, The difference of power going through the gears and shifting at a much higher rpm. That is where our power comes in to play.....

I have a 2000 NSX-T and everything about it is perfect. Since, my car is the only NSX I've driven, I can't imagine what driving below 97 model would be like as it has less HP and a 5-spd. I'm guessing that there's a significant amount of difference.
I've raced a convertible C5 corvette and it was just about even till about 80mph. Then I pulled out after that. The hardtop or targa would most likely beat me if I raced one.

Originally posted by johndoh:
I have a 2000 NSX-T and everything about it is perfect. Since, my car is the only NSX I've driven, I can't imagine what driving below 97 model would be like as it has less HP and a 5-spd

I'm seconding what johndoh said. I love everything about my car's performance as is. I went into buying the NSX knowing I'd be looking at 97+ NSXs mainly because I had to have the T model.

If you have to get the T, I wouldn't consider pre '97s. The later models' larger 3.2L engine (and structural reinforcments) were specifically made to compensate for performance losses due to going topless.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Recently bought a '98 (as my username indicates). I would agree with the other posts favoring post 97 - everyone knows thats when the modifications were made.

A good friend of mine has a 993 that I eat alive. Niello Acura / Porsche in Sacramento was kind enough to let me drive an NSX and 996 back to back and I found the NSX to handle better, prefered "the feel" of the NSX acceleration to the 996, but I felt the brakes are better on the 996.

My neighbor has a C5. We raced on the freeway, rolling start at around 55 - at 120 I was 6-7 car lenghts ahead. Since then he has wanted a rematch from standing start but I prefer to leave racing on the track so I haven't taken him up on it.

The main improvement you will notice over your (I assume stock) '94 is the gearing.

You probably won't notice the effect of the horsepower as much as the effect of the gearing, because you will be shifting sooner and more frequently on account of the six-speed. But according to the chart labeled "What are the numbers" in the section of the FAQ called "Gears", the extra 20 horsepower actually has a bigger effect on your acceleration (compared with your stock '94) than the six-speed does.

After reading several posts on this thread, I guess owners of 95-96 NSXTs should put their cars out with the trash. As "everyone" knows, no Targa model whatever the year approaches the fixed-roof Coupe's handling capabilities. The refinements made to the 97 and later Targas enhance chassis rigidity and, therefore, handling. However, these improvements primarily benefit the car when the top is removed. Furthermore, the enhanced acceleration of the post 97 cars(as compared to the 91-94 cars) is due largely to the 6 speed transmission. The increased horsepower of the 3.2 liter engine is offset by the increased weight required for structural reinforcement. I have owned 92 and 95 NSXs and have spent considerable time driving 97s in both Coupe and Targa form. While the latter cars are faster,I believe the 94 version to be the most pure, the one most true to Honda's original design concept. The extra weight of the 95 and later cars is absurd; weight should have been reduced. Power steering? Targa? These should have been special order options for those willing to compromise the handling, overall driving experience and weight rather than as standard equipment. The 3.2 engine/6 speed/improved brakes/lighter, stronger alloy materials should have been added to the 94 car and brought out as the 95 model. To me, the Targa was a decision made by the "bean counters" to enhance sales rather than by the engineers who designed and built
the best sports car on the planet.

coupe and Targa

Originally posted by Joel Zoldessy, MD:
As "everyone" knows, no Targa model whatever the year approaches the fixed-roof Coupe's handling capabilities

Well, I don't know about that Joel. Maybe at the extreme the coupe has the mathematical advantage, but under real world conditions and on the race track, I have not noticed much practical difference in handling capabilities.

I will have to agree that having driven a 1993 Coupe, a 1996 Targa and now owning a 2000 Targa, that the '97+ cars have a considerable gearing advantage and even braking advantage. The increase in hp may be offset in some way by more weight, but the physics of more hp in better gearing range makes for a flat out faster car.

I have now spent several full days on the track with my 2000 NSX and have toasted everything from a 1985 Ferrari Testarossa to swapping places with a 2001 Ferrari 360 Modena. And I can easily eat any C5 vette on the track.

I took a long hard look at all the NSXs from 1991 to 2000 when I bought mine and found that you get a lot more for your money from 1997-2000.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

CChung,

For more info on the 2000 NSX and cool photos of me trouncing a silver C5 vette, e-mail me at [email protected].

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

With all due respect, Gordon, the fact is, the NSX was not designed from its inception to have the roof removed. This added weight to a car already too heavy (wasn't the original weight parameter to be about 2800 lbs.?). This reduced chassis rigidity not reversible with the after-the-fact remedies available to the engineers. The fact is, those same engineers thought it necessary to install a "softer" suspension (with less-stiff sway bars). The fact is, I have spent a total of almost 8 years and 50,000 miles driving my Coupe and Targa cars. I include many driving schools, autocrossing events and track time. The fact is, turn-in, rotation, the ability to steer with the throttle, the ease of taking a line without having to correct are superior in the Coupe. I have also noted the Targa's penchant for the rear to "step out" if laterally loaded on a less than smooth surface. As the price of the 95-96 cars is similiar to the 97 and later cars, it seems quite obvious the higher content of the latter make them a better buy. The fact is, however, the 91-94 cars remain more true to the original concept. I realize many enjoy the open air experience of the Targa. Again, as a result of the after-the-fact design, wind buffeting with the top removed is excessive (with the windows down) at speeds greater than 40 mph. Not true in most cars designed from inception to be open roofed.

For some of us who were fooling around with cars before superchargers, turbos and the like, weight has always been the killer. The 94 Coupe is the last true example of the car "Mr. Honda" envisioned. I saw the introduction of the targa as a means to expand the marketability of the vehicle to a wider, non-sport audience. Indeed, the coupe does not need power steering... and that's more weight. I suppose if all comes down to your preferences...

I completely agree with Joel and nsxman. The coupe is far superior. Of course, it'd be nice sometimes to take the top off, but I always felt that a true sports car afficianado would opt for performance well before 'wind in your hair'. After all, if we bought it for that, we could've saved and bought a '85 Lebaron....yikes.....

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Dear Joel et al. ......who think the Targa is a sell out, man am I glad that Honda sold out!!!

I absolutely love to drive my Targa with the top off. When I have the top on, I feel completely cramped, shut in, and clostrophobic. Quite frankly, I never use the T-top, except when I wash the car.

The first NSX I drove was a coupe and it was tight and fantastic, but there's nothing like driving to Borrego Springs, Mt. Palomar, or Sunrise Hwy. with the top off.
In fact, I would not be as interested in driving the NSX, if I could not also enjoy the sights and fragrances of the mountains, trees, and sky in such a beautiful place as San Diego county.

You see, I think the track would be fun for me too one weekend, but I don't really care much who can go fastest around a track. I don't care if I beat a C5 or a Testerossa.

I'm more interested in the feeling of complete driving freedom that I get when the top is off in the country. I come home invigorated and ready to face life's sucky challenges, like an asshole boss.

I would bet that I am not so unusual. I suspect that the "new" NSX will also have a T-top, because Honda is not interested selling a track car. They're interested in selling a wonderfully refined sports car that can be appreciated by ordinary unsophisticated yuppie people like me.

That's because there are more of us around, and we tend to be more weathly and more ready to spend some bucks than the average 20-30 year old immortal trackie. For me, life is too short to drive in small circles.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

nsxy: No nsx owner would accuse a targa driver of selling out. Indeed, the San Diego area is a wonderful place to experience the vehicle... then, a run through the desert at night -- with a full moon -- like right now -- is another thing... enjoy

Originally posted by NSXY:

I'm more interested in the feeling of complete driving freedom that I get when the top is off in the country. I come home invigorated and ready to face life's sucky challenges, like an asshole boss.

I would bet that I am not so unusual. [/B]

You're not unusual as my feelings are the same as yours. Last year my son and took a road trip from Oregon to So. Cal to look at Colleges. As soon as we passed the OR/CA border and the sun came we took the top off. Yes there was a lot of wind at 80 but we just turned up the tunes and took our shirts off to enjoy the great feeling of tanning at speed.

While I really like the 5/6 speed my old body and left hip are too beat up from Motocross to handle a clutch. The SportShift is great as I can have some fun with it and handle the stop and go traffic during the week. Otherwise I'd probably be in a BMW or Porsche. Having driven both a Boxster and M3
automatic I have to say the NSX SportShifter kicks serious butt against these cars.

It would be fun to go out on a track a couple of times a year. However if this is what I wanted to do then I would have bought a 91 and max'd it out. But that's not why I bought the NSX. I bought it to cruise around in and just have fun.

I, too, live in the San Diego area; I, too, appreciate roads such as Palomar Mountain; I, too, agree driving a sports car involves much more than is experienced on a race track; I, too, agree Honda will likely make a Targa version of the next gen NSX. The real question involves none of the above, however. It is simply this: Is one merely interested in a top-off driving experience, a poseur making a fashion statement, or is one interested in a true sportscar driving experience? If driving on a Palomar Mountain type of road is memorable and enjoyable, even the "most unsophisticated yuppie" ought to be able to appreciate the loss of handling capability that occurs when the top is removed (most especially in the 95-96 cars). The cowl shake is such with the top off that I need to remove my radar detector else it will be shaken off. The fact is, a significant amount of what made the NSX so special when first introduced has been lost in the Targa models-especially so when the top is removed. When surveyed, American drivers uniformly rank the overall driving experience of any given vehicle as "most important". And then go out and purchase trucks.

Hey, thanks everyone for all the great replies. Somehow my question got misconstrued to whether the targa top compensates the overall handling and fun of the NSX. My feeling is, and I had a '94 coupe and I drove a '97 NSX-T, that the 97 definitely is softer riding and quieter than the coupes so I imagine the handling is less precise than earlier NSXs. I drive pretty sedately so the loss in handling by my getting a 2000 NSX probably won't be missed. But I would have liked more horsepower, as everyone would. My '94 was completely stock. So I really would like to know whether owners of 97+ NSXs can really feel the difference of the extra horsepower and, if they raced it at a track, what are your best 1/4 mile times. I've seen in magazines times of 13.4-13.5 for the targas and 12.9-13.3 for the coupe. Also, it seems everyone has smoked C5 Vettes, how about 996s? Thanks again for all your replies!

Back