• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paintless Dent Removal Question

Hi guys,
My car was caught in a hail storm a couple of weeks ago and I just noticed a dent on the roof of my 92. Are there any concerns with having a paintless dent removal company pop the dent out?

I know they wouldn't do the hood of my Integra a few years back because they were concerned about breaking some adhesive bonds to the braces under the hood.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I thought the paintless dent removal only works on steel body parts. I don't know if it will work on aluminum.

Hi guys,
My car was caught in a hail storm a couple of weeks ago and I just noticed a dent on the roof of my 92. Are there any concerns with having a paintless dent removal company pop the dent out?

I know they wouldn't do the hood of my Integra a few years back because they were concerned about breaking some adhesive bonds to the braces under the hood.

Thoughts? Thanks!

The company that worked on your INtegra did not know what they were doing. Aluminum can be repaired with Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) as long as the technician has experience with aluminum. I know of 2 techs that can pull dents from aluminum with no trouble at all. The technique is different because aluminum will not respond in the same manner as steel when you bend it. You just have to find a PDR tech that can work with aluminum. Good luck with your repair.

The company that worked on your INtegra did not know what they were doing. Aluminum can be repaired with Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) as long as the technician has experience with aluminum. I know of 2 techs that can pull dents from aluminum with no trouble at all. The technique is different because aluminum will not respond in the same manner as steel when you bend it. You just have to find a PDR tech that can work with aluminum. Good luck with your repair.

Thanks. I know a highly regarded shop nearby that works on Al cars. I'll give them a call and see if they do PDR.

I have done this many times on NSXs. The shop I use is very particular and won't even charge if they don't get it perfect. I have had techs inexperienced with aluminum work on the NSX and their comment is that there is more spring to the aluminum than steel. I use Dent Works in San Antonio. As long as the material is not scratched or creased then it will usually come out well. I have had door dings before and I will take the door panel off at the shop, because I don't trust just anyone to take it apart.

This is good info. Thanks guys. I know the shop owner who does work for Jag & BMW and has restored/repaired several NSXs nearby. I'll give them a call.

As some of you may know, I own a Paintless Dent Removal company. I can offer some advice to all that are interested. If you're going to have someone look at your car to possibly fix it, then look for someone that can offer you referrals of dealers they work for or private individuals and confidence that it can be fixed, no question. Doubts they can fix it? Find someone else.

Find out how long they have been doing this and how many cars they've worked on. (Part timers have accumulated time but not cars) I have worked on aluminum cars before and it's no problem if the dent is not too big. Usually a dent the size of a baseball and smaller are fixable to 100%. Creases can be fixed as long as it's not to close to an edge. (taillight , the end of the door or fender) Whoever you decide to use, please focus on the quality not the price. Usually you get what you pay for as I run across that constantly. No two ways about it, quality costs money.

People calling for the low price aren't always concerned about quality. You should do the same. Don't go for the guy that is low balling you or overly anxious to fix your car. The best in the business are busy and not waiting around for someone to call them. Kinda like going to a restaurant with no one there, why aren't they busy? Bad service? Food? You get the idea.

I've been doing this for over 13 years and have fixed upwards of 26,000 cars. I can say that I have seen my share of shoddy work, which cannot be re-fixed unless you take it to a bodyshop.

Focus on quality, and a 100% guarantee(you don't pay unless you are 100% satisfied),and someone who works on the car like it's his own car,as I do and everyone should.

Take care,
John

Thanks John. You've reinforced my decision.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Sean

Anytime failed to mention a few things that I'm sure are not a issue with him and how he provides his service but still remain as concerns you should be aware of with others.

1)Will there be any access holes drilled?

2) Are the tools they're using on your NSX smooth on the surface, clean, and do they keep a separate set just for aluminum?

3) Will they be attaching any lamps/lighting directly on the vehicle using suction mounts. These are popular with some and damage from their use can occur if they lose vacuum and fall off hitting the car.

4) Will they check that the primer coatings are not cut, scratched, removed or broken during the PDR process and if they are that the correct corrosion resistance is restored?

Anytime failed to mention a few things that I'm sure are not a issue with him and how he provides his service but still remain as concerns you should be aware of with others.

1)Will there be any access holes drilled?

2) Are the tools they're using on your NSX smooth on the surface, clean, and do they keep a separate set just for aluminum?

3) Will they be attaching any lamps/lighting directly on the vehicle using suction mounts. These are popular with some and damage from their use can occur if they lose vacuum and fall off hitting the car.

4) Will they check that the primer coatings are not cut, scratched, removed or broken during the PDR process and if they are that the correct corrosion resistance is restored?

As usual I found this to be a good post by you and you bring up some good points.

As some of you may know, I own a Paintless Dent Removal company. I can offer some advice to all that are interested. If you're going to have someone look at your car to possibly fix it, then look for someone that can offer you referrals of dealers they work for or private individuals and confidence that it can be fixed, no question. Doubts they can fix it? Find someone else.

Find out how long they have been doing this and how many cars they've worked on. (Part timers have accumulated time but not cars) I have worked on aluminum cars before and it's no problem if the dent is not too big. Usually a dent the size of a baseball and smaller are fixable to 100%. Creases can be fixed as long as it's not to close to an edge. (taillight , the end of the door or fender) Whoever you decide to use, please focus on the quality not the price. Usually you get what you pay for as I run across that constantly. No two ways about it, quality costs money.

People calling for the low price aren't always concerned about quality. You should do the same. Don't go for the guy that is low balling you or overly anxious to fix your car. The best in the business are busy and not waiting around for someone to call them. Kinda like going to a restaurant with no one there, why aren't they busy? Bad service? Food? You get the idea.

I've been doing this for over 13 years and have fixed upwards of 26,000 cars. I can say that I have seen my share of shoddy work, which cannot be re-fixed unless you take it to a bodyshop.

Focus on quality, and a 100% guarantee(you don't pay unless you are 100% satisfied),and someone who works on the car like it's his own car,as I do and everyone should.

Take care,
John

Hey John, does your business cover San Gabriel valley?

I am taking mine to a local bodyshop tomorrow morning to have them look at a softball size dent, and also what appears to be a crease further up from the initial dent that I am guessing was caused by the stress of the car that caused the dent. How likely is it this can be taken out without damaging the paint? The dent is not terrible...but it is noticeable, and annoys me.

Pics please!

I am taking mine to a local bodyshop tomorrow morning to have them look at a softball size dent, and also what appears to be a crease further up from the initial dent that I am guessing was caused by the stress of the car that caused the dent. How likely is it this can be taken out without damaging the paint? The dent is not terrible...but it is noticeable, and annoys me.

Back