• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parents think I am crazy

Your parents won't be around forever. Just respect their opinion, without hanging up on them, and go and buy the NSX.

The Solstice/Sky are actually pretty cool cars for what that are. An old NSX probably will be more reliable then a new GM car but don't confuse that with affordable. My Vette broke stuff probably 5 times more often than my NSX but parts cost a sh!tload more for an X than a GM car. A GM car will depreciate alot more though so keep that in mind. In the end, buy the car you want, but don't do it to spite your parents.

:cool:

I know I was saying that for arguement sake at the time. and I won't buy the car to spite the parents. In the end I know they will love me and be there for me.

I didn't realize so many people have experience the same thing I am going through.

Hmmm...Let's see my 08 Jeep SRT8 with only 4,588 km's required a new Transmission gasket because the numpty's on the assembly line pinched the one that was put in...

I've never had a Honda get returned for anything wrong from factory...

Buy the car you want and take the grief that they give with grace. You're lucky to hear their voices at all.:wink:

Last edited:
You can be a rich old man....Your parents approval will always make you feel a lil better...and you will always be their lil child....

no matter what...I am 36, left home when i was 17 and still go through the same....

I drove a friend 2003 sunfire with 40k miles on it.....It didnt drive as good as my 91 nsx.....forget performance...Just Quality................it felt like a 20 year old car to me.....

I have an idea...
Buy the NSX then put a Mustang body kit on it.

Everyone will be happy.:biggrin:

I drive a 1995 Camaro Z28 convertible as my daily driver, I've never had any reliability issues with it. I've had it since 2000 when I was in college and it has about 75,000 miles on it now.

Sorry but 75K miles in 13 year is nothing special. If you had 175k on original engine, tranny, oil pump, Alternator, fuel pump then I would be amazed.

Besides even GM has some "lemons"------ that are reliable.:wink:

Hmmm...Let's see my 08 Jeep SRT8 with only 4,588 km's required a new Transmission gasket because the numpty's on the assembly line pinched the one that was put in...

I've never had a Honda get returned for anything wrong from factory...

sorry. lot of honda's manual transmissions on SI, accord, TL, prelude, and RSX are crap. i guess it's the only problem. overall, good quality.
i dont know why they build good transmission on nsx and s2000. mostly, no problems. but they cannot fix CIVIC SI and RSX tranny problem. if u have searched, u will see so many SI owners complaining about it. not trying to be offensive on it. but it's the truth.
i may purchase my friend's RSX since his car has no tranny problem. but i am still aware.

My parents thought I was beyond crazy, especially the NSX being round 2 of
a two seater; the MR2 being the first. My father still make comments to this
day about how impractical it is for my life, future, etc etc.
We're talking about a very traditional Asian father here, well in his age
reaching near 80. I love my father, so I feel when moments like these
arises, its only a father/son thing. No biggie. He just wants the best
for me... from his point of views, from his ways of perceiving life.
Here's the thing, he's always preaching of getting a 4door sedan,
preferably a Camry. The man loves 'em! Here's his point; it is the
ideal car for the family man. Here's his catch; for me to get married. LOL
He's got 10k saved up for my "traditional" wedding. My mother slipped
out that information. I told mom I could really use that fund for mods. :biggrin::cool:

My parents thought I was beyond crazy, especially the NSX being round 2 of
a two seater; the MR2 being the first. My father still make comments to this
day about how impractical it is for my life, future, etc etc.
We're talking about a very traditional Asian father here, well in his age
reaching near 80. I love my father, so I feel when moments like these
arises, its only a father/son thing. No biggie. He just wants the best
for me... from his point of views, from his ways of perceiving life.
Here's the thing, he's always preaching of getting a 4door sedan,
preferably a Camry. The man loves 'em! Here's his point; it is the
ideal car for the family man. Here's his catch; for me to get married. LOL
He's got 10k saved up for my "traditional" wedding. My mother slipped
out that information. I told mom I could really use that fund for mods. :biggrin::cool:

LOL And I thought I was bad for just wanting money for Christmas and my Birthday

Parents...the ultimate 3rd base coach.

If you are letting them in on your decision, then respect their ideas and thoughts. It's like going into a Nsx forum and saying they you should buy a mb or bmw. If they float your insurance, car note or housing, then respectfully listen to what they are saying.

Remember it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Greetings

Be nice to your parents and grandparents -- you will miss them terribly when they are gone.

I would work on your Grandfather. He is probably a car buff and will appreciate an NSX for what it is. Win him over and the parents will fall in line (grandparents and grandchildren get along so well because they have an enemy in common). My guess is that the parents think buying a non-GM car will hurt his feelings -- my guess is that it won't.

Cheers,
Martin

My Granddad is fine with it I think...He gives me a hard time about wanting an asian car...LoL or tells me I am buying an overpriced civic, but I tell beats a overpriced cavalier(corvette). He is fine with it.

Nukem...Welcome to Adulthood!!

One of the things one goes through on the way to adulthood is realise your parents are fallable, human. They have weaknesses, prejudices and are imperfect. See them as people who are human and make mistakes and do what you think is right.

After all, you can always throw back at them that "they raised their boy right, and to make the right decisions", because after all, they too would want the best money could buy regardless of brand, right

If they still dont understand, just tell them to throw out their "foreign" television and go buy an american TV!! (there are NONE)

This story reminds me of when I was in college. It was the last year of school, and I had already received a job offer, so a friend of mine and I went look for new cars. We saw several and took some time to think about what we had seen. His family works for GM, and is die hard 'Buy American', yet none of the American cars really caught his interest. Anyway, he liked the S2000 and called me one day to say, 'Hey man...do you think you can take me to West Lafayette...I bought a new S2000'. So I went a picked him up, drove out to get his new S2000, and went home. Well, his GM employed parents went through the roof!! I mean huge!! They said it was a slap in the face, and blamed ME for his purchase!! They said my 'negative influence' caused him to buy the 'Jap crap' that was now in their driveway. Keep in mind that I have known these people sine I was about 10 years old. His parents would not talk to me for 6 months. It was unreal. I cannot imagine what would have happened if he had bought an NSX. :eek:

It does make me chuckle to hear you say they were saying the car would break down. It is a Honda. When properly taken care of it will run virtually forever, and will retain its value one heck of a lot more than some Saturn or other GM product. Enjoy your NSX. My daily driver '94 NSX has just over 143,900 miles now, and I love every mile. :smile:

Sorry but 75K miles in 13 year is nothing special. If you had 175k on original engine, tranny, oil pump, Alternator, fuel pump then I would be amazed.

Besides even GM has some "lemons"------ that are reliable.:wink:

75k is not a lot of miles for a 13 year old car but I bet it is comparable or more than a lot of NSXs of similar age. I was just trying to say that I take care of my GM car and it's never been unreliable for me in the 8 years I've owned it, and I used to drive it pretty hard and race at the drag strip.

75k is not a lot of miles for a 13 year old car but I bet it is comparable or more than a lot of NSXs of similar age.
Yup. Median mileage on NSXs is around 5K miles per year. So now (in 2008), a 1995 NSX with 75K miles is slightly above the median in mileage.

Funny, my buddy did an internship for Ford. He was allowed to park in the employee lot, but because he had a Maxima at the time, he parked in another lot in fear of "retaliation." ha

This story reminds me of when I was in college. It was the last year of school, and I had already received a job offer, so a friend of mine and I went look for new cars. We saw several and took some time to think about what we had seen. His family works for GM, and is die hard 'Buy American', yet none of the American cars really caught his interest. Anyway, he liked the S2000 and called me one day to say, 'Hey man...do you think you can take me to West Lafayette...I bought a new S2000'. So I went a picked him up, drove out to get his new S2000, and went home. Well, his GM employed parents went through the roof!! I mean huge!! They said it was a slap in the face, and blamed ME for his purchase!! They said my 'negative influence' caused him to buy the 'Jap crap' that was now in their driveway. Keep in mind that I have known these people sine I was about 10 years old. His parents would not talk to me for 6 months. It was unreal. I cannot imagine what would have happened if he had bought an NSX. :eek:

It does make me chuckle to hear you say they were saying the car would break down. It is a Honda. When properly taken care of it will run virtually forever, and will retain its value one heck of a lot more than some Saturn or other GM product. Enjoy your NSX. My daily driver '94 NSX has just over 143,900 miles now, and I love every mile. :smile:

He was trying to convince me to get a new Pontiac Solstice or Saturn SKY Redline.

Smart parents. They probably just want what's best for you, to go racing.

The Solstice is the hot car to have in SSB this year. Both cars are shoe-ins for T2. You should check out the forums before turning your nose up too high. They are actually sufficiently capable cars.

If your heart is set on the NSX, then you should get it. Don't worry about your parents. They will come around when they sit in the passenger seat. Some people put blinders on when they get loyal to a brand. My dad and myself were muscle car guys until I got the NSX. The mustangs and camaros I've driven are not nearly as exciting as the NSX. Heck, I kid in an RSX dusted my mustang-- totally embarrassing. The speed is nice, but the overall package of the NSX is great. I have never owned an American sports car that is over 16 years old and still drives the way the NSX does.

Smart parents. They probably just want what's best for you, to go racing.

The Solstice is the hot car to have in SSB this year. Both cars are shoe-ins for T2. You should check out the forums before turning your nose up too high. They are actually sufficiently capable cars.

Well I am not buying an NSX for the track...sure I am sure I will take it to an HODE or racing school a few times, but it will mainly be my pride and joy. I have test driven the Saturn Sky Redline and I talk to a few people on Redlineforums.com that own the Sky Redline. I like the car its like a little Corvette, only Rarer. If I had the money and Garage space I would own both. The Ecotec engine is pretty solid. but everytime I see my two NSX models in my model shelf it just gives me warm fuzzy feelings...

Back