• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parking... using (2) spaces?

who here uses 2 parking spaces when parking at public lots???

Anyone that does is asking for trouble. My advice - don't do it. If you are that paranoid about dings, then either park in the back forty or take another car.

Anyone that does is asking for trouble. My advice - don't do it. If you are that paranoid about dings, then either park in the back forty or take another car.

exactly what i was going to say. Using 2 spaces just makes you stand out even MORE and make you look like a jackass IMO

I do it all the time, everytime. But I park so far out and I can't even imagine anyone else parking that far out. Still to this day no one has. I mean faaaaaaaar out. On the plus side I get to admire my car from the long walk back.:rolleyes:

Don't even think about it. There will be someone that will park right next to you no matter where you park!

Last edited:
i would never take two spots, asking for trouble and unwanted attention.

I always think about where i part and try to find an open end spot and then hug the outside curb to make sure that the distance on the exposed side is so far that the door from the next car cannot hit. I also try to park next to four door cars (with shorter doors) versus 2 doors.

I do, when I drive one of these.:biggrin:
pic4copy.jpg

i do it frequently, and before i had my car painted, curiosly enough, 2 scratchs i had where done when i parked correctly.... nothing never happened to the car when i used 2 spots.... go figure...

on one ocasion a security told me if i use 2 spots i should pay twice... i answered back that i would do it if they payed any damage done to my car while parked in 1 spot only... he looked puzzled and i completed with "i find funny that with all your security and cameras and stuff, you guys never seem to see anything that happens"... he just stayed there without an answer for a few seconds and then returned to his cabin....:biggrin::biggrin:

This is the way I look at it:

No method of parking, including double-parking, is ever a 100% sure way to keep your car from getting scratched... so why pick the method that's most likely to piss other people off and get your car keyed?

Yup, double parking is an invitation to some jerk to come key your car. Or park equally stupid next to you.

I always just park way the hell away from everyone, and if an end spot is available, as tight to that end as possible. You'll never prevent all parking damage, so just try to minimize it as much as possible :smile:

If you inconvenience others with two spots, your probably asking for trouble.
I tend to try to find an end spot and offset to the "open" side as much as prudent.

It would depend on the likely volume of that parking lot. If its a size that tends to fill up, then no way. But like the mall during the week where i can park waaaay out then i guess you could. However, if you're literally putting that much distance between you and the crowd of normal parking then why would you have to double park?

Which would you rather have? A slight chance of someone parking right next to you in the remote area of a parking lot, and them giving you a little door ding? Or a reasonable chance of getting your car keyed all to hell? :redface:

It would depend on the likely volume of that parking lot. If its a size that tends to fill up, then no way. But like the mall during the week where i can park waaaay out then i guess you could. However, if you're literally putting that much distance between you and the crowd of normal parking then why would you have to double park?

This comment is pretty funny as I look at your avatar.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Chevy Malibu taking up two spots=goofy, nsx taking up two spots=douche,who's car I must now destroy:frown:

It's funny because about a year ago I parked at the grocery store about 200ft from the store out where there were no cars diagnal across 2 spots because well, I have done that and parked in 1 and came out of the store with someone RIGHT next to me. Sure enough someone was jealous and bitter enough they decided to write out a note saying "You think your car is SOOOO great and park this far away really you are just arrogant"

The thing for me is honestly someone was that jealous to write a letter, walk 200ft and put it on my windshield just because it bothered them that I parked that far away? Come on, how was I being disrespectful, how was I taking up a needed spot with 300 other spots around me.

Honestly, people have grudges and are jealous just for us driving the cars we drive. If they want to key or damage it, they will do so.

Now on the other hand, I do usually just park in a single spot somewhat close to where I'm going because it is just a car. And also, the idea that its 500ft away with no one around makes me think a thief would have more privacy to pull up next to it and break in or steal it without anyone ever seeing :mad:

It's funny because about a year ago I parked at the grocery store about 200ft from the store out where there were no cars diagnal across 2 spots because well, I have done that and parked in 1 and came out of the store with someone RIGHT next to me. Sure enough someone was jealous and bitter enough they decided to write out a note saying "You think your car is SOOOO great and park this far away really you are just arrogant"

The thing for me is honestly someone was that jealous to write a letter, walk 200ft and put it on my windshield just because it bothered them that I parked that far away? Come on, how was I being disrespectful, how was I taking up a needed spot with 300 other spots around me.

Honestly, people have grudges and are jealous just for us driving the cars we drive. If they want to key or damage it, they will do so.

Now on the other hand, I do usually just park in a single spot somewhat close to where I'm going because it is just a car. And also, the idea that its 500ft away with no one around makes me think a thief would have more privacy to pull up next to it and break in or steal it without anyone ever seeing :mad:

LOL. If I had a nickle for every time some Bozo has given me the finger for driving my car... I'd be driving a Lambo by now.:biggrin::confused:

If I drove a Mclaren F1/Enzo/F50-40/Zonda/Reventon/Veryon etc -ultra cars- ... HELL yes I would double park + park far away, been an NSX, parking far does it!

Oscar

Yup, double parking is an invitation to some jerk to come key your car. Or park equally stupid next to you.

I always just park way the hell away from everyone, and if an end spot is available, as tight to that end as possible. You'll never prevent all parking damage, so just try to minimize it as much as possible :smile:

Exactly. If one takes 2 spaces thinking one's car being so, so special, then that action is already rude and selfish. I have never taken and will never take 2 spaces and have done exactly what you have by going out of the way and park at the end. Some people said that they would go very far area of a lot AND take 2 spaces. So if you have gone to no man's land, why would you still need to have 2 spots? It defeats the purpose to take the "courtesy" to go far but still looks like a jackass taking up 2 spots. Let's say the parking situation becomes so bad that even the far corners get crowded. Then taking up two spots during that is even more obnoxious and selfish.
Not that I can, but if I could afford some megabuck big deal cars and feel very paranoid about getting dinged, I probably won't even drive it to some local mall and run errands with it. If one cares to drive the car to some risky places, then the car is not that big of a deal to start with anyways.
My 2001 white coupe just got all the glovebox contents stolen at my hospital last week. But hey, that's the risk that I am willing to take for a car that I deem a good daily driver.
Steve

Last edited:
I do it all the time, everytime. But I park so far out and I can't even imagine anyone else parking that far out. Still to this day no one has. I mean faaaaaaaar out. On the plus side I get to admire my car from the long walk back.:rolleyes:
I mean faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out, LOL. I would never ever inconvenience other peoples parking or put my car in jepordy of being keyed.

This comment is pretty funny as I look at your avatar.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:biggrin: This is at my work in the employee area and if everyone was to be at work all at once we still have 30 spots left with an entire staff of 37 people. haha, didn't think about that before though. :rolleyes:

After 3+ years and 30k daily driven miles with my NSX, I don't have a single door ding, dent or scratch. I try to park away from other folks whenever possible, but that's only about 1/2 of the time. Maybe I'm just lucky?? :confused:

(Note, someone did back into me slightly once -no note of course- :eek::mad: but paintless dent repair took care of it ok. Nevertheless, I do worry about people not being able to see such a low car out of their rear view mirrors in parking lots)

I think it's funny how "interesting" this thread is. I guess we all wish we could park our babies where/how ever we want (assuming it doesn't interfere with others), but are a little irritated that we can't in a world filled with haters that look for any excuse to destroy other peoples' property. :frown:

Im to scared to take two spots Ive heard some horror stories such as keyed up, tires flattened, and even all windows broken. I just park far away only if Im making a quick run into somewhere for a minute or two. Only way I would take two spots up if there is alot of cars doing it like at a meet or a car show other then that no way.

Back