• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Percentage of 100% stock cars?

What do you think is the percentage of 100% stock cars per year?

We're keeping all our stock parts (reminds me, we need to get our stock muffler back from Cody ;^), so whatever mods we do can be easily reversed for whatever reason.
How do you want to score that?

Brian

In evaluating this, are you including literally everything? (100%, as stated?)

Consider tires, oil filters and wiper cartridges...

J

In evaluating this, are you including literally everything? (100%, as stated?)

Consider tires, oil filters and wiper cartridges...

J

No, I'm excluding discontinued parts. I define a stock car as a not modified car. What is the definition of 'modified'. A car with OEM parts repaired snap-ring gearbox is still OEM. Minor 'modification' like windows or door fix-things are allowed (IMO) as they overcome the issue with the plastic pieces. Not allowed are other wheels, suspension, exhaust, airfilter, stereo...

Last edited:
It's relative, depending on the market.

Last time we meet here in South florida we had 8 NSX's, 2 had "mild" tasteful close to NONE mods, 6 were untouched ... (IMO, wheels don't count b/c most owners have aftermarket as well stock wheels in their garages) .. while most pics I see from California, i see a LOT of wild stuff -doesn't necessarily means my taste-- ... again, depends the market ...

Oscar

It's relative, depending on the market.

IMO it's not market dependent. Among classic car drivers there are strong rules what OEM is and what leaves the narrow frame. Aftermarket wheels are a big NONO. What would be possible are OEM 16/17 on a 91 because the later years were sold with these wheels. But again: A Type R gearbox would leave the frame as it was not sold outside of Japan.

Last edited:
IMO it's not market dependent. Among classic car drivers there are strong rules what OEM is and what leaves the narrow frame. Aftermarket wheels are a big NONO. What would be possible are OEM 16/17 on a 91 because the later years were sold with these wheels.

You have a point,

STOCK:
nsx_dealer.jpg

MILD:
DSCN0037.JPG

WILD
DSC04206.jpg

I think most NSX's here in Prime are ---just for now-- in the MILD category, meaning, that those cars could be brought to Stock by simply reinstalling things such OEM wing / OEM Antenna / wheels / exhaust / even suspension ... as long as you don't need to mess with the frame or cut the body or makes holes, MILD NSX's are almost as perfect as STOCK ones, that is the great majority/% of NSX's but is hard to come up with a clear number, b/c is all subjective .. you should try to have a registry for 100% unmolested NSX's ...

Oscar

Example two is not mild regarding the definition of a stock car. You've to repaint the lower front to remove the front spoiler. Analogy to crashed cars. A crashed car is less worth even it has been repaired to a grade you can't see it. Same is for tuning: You can always go back from wild tuning if money is no object but buying a once heavily modded car that is stock for sale is like marrying a girl in a white dress saying that you're the first, one and only. :tongue::D
Nothing against mildly tuned cars if the stay sweet and maintained but it's not stock by definition anymore. :)

Extremely interesting question. I am currently going through some "modifications" of my car, but most won't be visible to the average person. Perhaps I should say my current efforts are "upgrades" versus modifications which is the way I prefer to view them. For example, we will be removing the calipers to paint and rebuild them. At the same time, will be adding slotted rotors versus the stock rotors. Braided lines will replace the stock lines. The stock suspension will be replaced with a JDM NSX Type S suspension.

Nothing in the interior nor exterior will be modified. Are my replacements "modifications" or "upgrades"?

I have no desire to have a modified vehicle, but at the same time if I add JDM NSX parts to update my car, is that a modification or an upgrade? Again, nothing versus the slotted rotors would be visible.

Hard to say. My actual car has 99+ ABS, 97+ brakes, 02+ rear, 02+ wheels, Type R 5-speed and Type S springs, all on a 91. I don't regard it as stock by the strong definition mentioned above. My car is refined along the JDM line but you could never have bought it this way from the factory in the past. As you say JDM is a possible way to go to have a 'mildly modified' car. All parts that are not OEM/JDM (rotors, brake lines) break the strong rule of OEM obviously.

stock
061026_01.jpg

exotic
p1.jpg

GT
honda-nsx-mugen-rr.jpg

wide fenders (I like this one, same idea as Porsche 911 Carrera to Turbo fender)
1999%20Comptech%20NSX_2.jpg

How about rebadging from Acura to Honda using all OEM parts? Does that count as stock?

Let's see---my '97 T has Dali radiator & condenser screens, NSX-R chassis bars, a Blitzsafe iPod adaptor, Shark II antenna and an '02-05 center tail light with the "A" logo. Only really visible mods are the Shark and the center tail light. Would this be considered stock since (1) there are no engine mods and (2) everything else could be easily removed?

I guess you have to define 100% stock. In my book, that's every part being OEM Honda down to original spec tires. Personally, I would consider mine "lightly modded" even though the look is stock. Here's a couple of pics:

1.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
I think some (most?) of you are fooling yourselves.:rolleyes:

If we're going to make all of the exceptions that are listed above, then why use such an absolute, mathematical term such as 100%. If it's 100% stock, except for ________ , then it's not stock, right? At least not 100%.

The only way it could be 100% stock is if every part ever replaced on it is the part number that is called out for that car's VIN.

Oh, my car is 100% stock except for the exhaust, supercharger, hood, rear wing and all my other mods:rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:. It's 100% stock because I have or can get replacement OEM parts and put them on.

Now does that sound right?

I'd say the exception that is least in offense to the 100% ideal is all OEM Honda re-badging. That just makes it a 100% stock vehicle for a different market while not attempting to make it a different model such as a type-r or type-s or whatever.

J

... but buying a once heavily modded car that is stock for sale is like marrying a girl in a white dress saying that you're the first, one and only.

There is an ethical issue here. Selling a car that has been "returned to stock" without full disclosure to the buyer is dishonest. While some previous mods may not matter to the buyer, most of us would hesitate if a turbo or supercharger were previously installed. Let's face it, the ideal purchase would be a fully maintained NSX that was driven by an old fart (hey, that's me!). NSXs that were subject to lots of go-fast mods and predictably were driven hard are not as desireable IMHO.

I have most of my stock parts, except for the ones that vanished when I moved. Slowly trying to get all the OEM parts back bit by bit for no other reason than to have spare parts in case of an emergency. :cool:

My guess is only 5-10% remain absolutely bone stock. I would also guess that at least 50% of owners keep the original parts when adding aftermarket items.

IMO, putting later parts on earlier cars is not considered stock...it just means you bought OEM upgrades.

AND THE ANSWER IS:

22% Stock
44% Some mods
33% Modded

There are 55 cars currently listed in the for sale section, so that was my sample size. Because I am a psycho, I looked at every one of them. There were 12 with no discernable mods. 24 had the usual, reversible, light mods, such as wheels, exhaust, chrome coolant bottle, etc. Included among the 18 modded cars were those with FI, body kits, extensive changes, or difficult to reverse changes. 1 was indeterminable due to lack of info (russian007’s car).
Another way of looking at it is that 66% of the cars could be returned to stock fairly easily.
Man, there are some nice cars for sale right now.

gdae,

Thanks for that exhaustive (exhausting? ;^) survey analysis.
Three quarters of the cars either being, or readily reverted to stock condition, is nice to hear.

Ive been told my 91 came out of factory with centre lock wheels and up rated shockers if this is true is it stock

I've have those TSW Evo's on one of our daily driver cars right now, and they're a nice period-correct wheel. Of course, behind that centerlock nut lies standard lug nuts affixing the wheel to the hub :wink:
Being that a Japanese Consulate brought the car there makes me think that anything is possible, but without documentation most would assume the wheels (and upgraded shocks) were installed by the dealer.
Who knows though, you guys seem to manage to drive and go about your lives apparently nonchalant about the fact that you're doing everything upside down.............so I'm not one to judge :biggrin:

Brian

AND THE ANSWER IS:

22% Stock
44% Some mods
33% Modded

There are 55 cars currently listed in the for sale section, so that was my sample size. Because I am a psycho, I looked at every one of them. There were 12 with no discernable mods. 24 had the usual, reversible, light mods, such as wheels, exhaust, chrome coolant bottle, etc. Included among the 18 modded cars were those with FI, body kits, extensive changes, or difficult to reverse changes. 1 was indeterminable due to lack of info (russian007’s car).
Another way of looking at it is that 66% of the cars could be returned to stock fairly easily.
Man, there are some nice cars for sale right now.

Nice work! Not too far from what I thought. I'll bet that more cars were returned to stock berfore being offered for sale here on prime so it might skew the results a little.

Those of us who keep ours stock probably aren't quite perfect about it. For instance...

I swapped out the coolant tank after two oem tanks split on me. There's faithful, and then there's dumb. A car without coolant is a bad thing.

I put an aux hookup on the stereo so I could listen to something other than the radio or a cassette. Still, benign with regards to to the original functionality, and made no visible difference.

I spliced in a switch to drop the mast antenna when I'm just listening to my mp3 player. Again, benign, just a negligible improvement to the car's looks, without any actual loss of functionality.

I removed the analog cell phone and its ugly little antenna. The phone doesn't work anymore anyway, so there's no loss there, and with an artful use of some black felt, I recovered my previously-unavailable change tray.

So, since I've made a bunch of little changes, it's technically not stock. Effectively, though, it is. I'd bet that the majority of "stock" NSXes are similarly tweaked in little ways. I'm sure there are a number of true garage queens that have seen no mods and are truly stock, but I suspect they're in a tiny minority.

Back