• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please recommend a TIRE SHOP in/around OC.

Loveland, CO and Trabuco Canyon, California
I did a search but didn't come up with any recommendations for shops that people trust their NSXs to, for tires.

After reading about the recent crashes in the rain, I double checked my tires and the rears are at the wear bars on the inside. I bought the car with Kumho ecsta spt's, (OEM size 255/40Z R17 94Y) so I will stay with those until I need new fronts, too.

I'm not as picky about where I take my S2000 for new tires (Tucker Tire Co. in Laguna Niguel) but it's such a madhouse, I'm afraid to go there with the NSX.

Where do you OC guys go?

I'm not as picky about where I take my S2000 for new tires (Tucker Tire Co. in Laguna Niguel) but it's such a madhouse, I'm afraid to go there with the NSX.

Where do you OC guys go?

When I had my NSX I took it to Tucker for 2 complete sets of tires, Bridgesstone OEMs and Goodyears. No problems ever, I take all my cars there. Make sure John (the owner) takes your order.

Best to show up at Tucker at 7am, John will be there with fresh donuts, you'll be gone by 8am :tongue:

Wow, I'm surprised most of you are Tucker fans. Thank you for your opinions. Gil, if 7am would be less hectic, maybe that's the ticket for me.

Prospeed, I sent you a PM for your guy.

Wow, I'm surprised most of you are Tucker fans. Thank you for your opinions.

I know you have tread left but you need to junk the Kumhos and put on the '02+ OEM tires.

I know you have tread left but you need to junk the Kumhos and put on the '02+ OEM tires.

Please, tell me more, Scott. I'm not real fond of these kumhos but I've only put about 5,300 miles on them and they're low. I don't know how many miles were already on them when I bought the car.

My problem with them is that they feel squirrely some times and seem to follow the pavement grooves. I once pulled off the highway to see if I had a low tire but the pressure was fine in them all.

The Kumho SPT is a budget tire that's pretty hard; it has a treadwear rating (harness) of 320.

The OEM bridgestone RE040, by contrast, has a treadwear rating of 140. You will notice a substantial increase in handling by removing the Kumho's in favor of the OEM tires.

Tucker is an acquired taste... good prices, but busy, dirty, and loud. They take extra care of nsx's, but not with all vehicles. If you like to hang out "as one of the guys", Tucker will provide that experience. But if you want a "doctor visit" type of tire installation, it's not the option to choose.

Bymar Tire in Mission Viejo is clean, and takes great care of the car. If you decide to use Bymar, I usually deal with Rob.

(949)-768-7381‎

The Kumho SPT is a budget tire that's pretty hard; it has a treadwear rating (harness) of 320.

The OEM bridgestone RE040, by contrast, has a treadwear rating of 140. You will notice a substantial increase in handling by removing the Kumho's in favor of the OEM tires.

^I'm really glad to hear that about the Kumho spt! I've never felt like the NSX feels as planted as my S2000 (with RE 050s) and if the spt's are part of the problem, I'm going to love the change with the right tires. With the two S2000s I've had, I learned that it wasn't worth it to me to go for anything but the OEM tires. I tried. I saved money but the whole reason for the car, the handling, suffered. I've stuck with OEMs since.

Thank you, scorp965!

i would put the oem tires back on as suggested above. (that is what i did on my 05). I also like tucker, but no way would l take your nsx there. Patty what i would do is order the oem tires and take your two wheels and tires in seperate from the car to get the new tires put on. (that is what i do with the nsx, s2000 and the billet wheels on my chevy.) if you need help i would be happy to take your wheels off and put them in the rav 4.

Tom, I know if you mix tire types on the front and rear of the S you're asking for trouble with the handling. It's got to be the same on the NSX, don't you think?

it certainly would be better to have all 4 matching new tires. 4 new oem tires is about 1K. and they are corner specific. (front left vs right etc). the rears wear at twice the rate as the front, so your fronts are probably still pretty good. the s2000 is the same situation, so i when i buy tires for it, i buy two sets of rears and one set of fronts at the same time, so when the first set of rears go, i can simply put the next matching set on.

Hmm. What to do.

BTW, I have 4 PSS-9 shocks waiting to get put on my S. Going to Shane's on Monday. Ramon didn't want to do it. :rolleyes:

I am usually in and out of Tucker in 30 minutes and I have never had a problem with them scratching or messing up the wheels on my NSX. If you are worried about the wheels, then have them do a visual inspection prior to the removal and installation of the tires.
You can spend more by going somewhere else to get your tires installed, but why. I have also used Ramona Tire in N-MV, the quality of service is no better than Tucker and their prices are are typically higher Tucker for the same product.
As far as the OEMs vs others, the OEMs are stickier than most other tires. Offering better handling at the sacrifice of wear. They definitely do wear faster, the performance more than makes up in terms of driving confidence and seat of your pants feel!!
The only other tires I would go with would be the JDM OEM tires, which you can only get from Dali at twice the cost. The tread wear on those are substantially less than the RE040s. They are very sticky and they have a very unique tread pattern. If I still had my NSX these are what i would buy, considering the amount of driving I did. So wear would not have been a big issue.

^Thank you, Scott for your input. I'm thinking OEM is the way to go, and I do appreciate your advice saying to junk the Kumhos. I want this car to feel the way Honda meant it to. I know the tires make a huge difference on my S, so of course they will on the NSX.

Now spacers at the same time? :confused: Ooohhh, Toooommmm. :smile:

patty,

you want the re040 HO's (ho as in honda) these are different then the standard re-040's without the ho after them. as stated above they are corner specific, and they will make the car handle like honda intended.

tom

^Thank you, Tom. I see that on the TireRack Item Description but it didn't click that that's what it meant.

There's only one tire shop I trust in OC to do super low profile and that's Supreme Power. They really take the extra time to make sure your wheel doesn't get damaged. Trust me, this is the shop to go to. I had them mount a wide 25 series tire on a 20" wheel with TPMS and not a scratch... I don't think anyone does wheels and tires better. Reasonable prices, too... You'll know why most of the SoCal ppl with Euro cars go here.

www.supremepower.com

Tell Eric or Jeff that Bradley with the M3 sent you...

^Thank you, for the recommendation, Bradley. My NSX is stock for the most part, and not lowered at all, so at least that's not a worry.

There's only one tire shop I trust in OC to do super low profile and that's Supreme Power. They really take the extra time to make sure your wheel doesn't get damaged. Trust me, this is the shop to go to. I had them mount a wide 25 series tire on a 20" wheel with TPMS and not a scratch... I don't think anyone does wheels and tires better. Reasonable prices, too... You'll know why most of the SoCal ppl with Euro cars go here.

www.supremepower.com

Tell Eric or Jeff that Bradley with the M3 sent you...

I concur. I've known Eric for 10 or so years. His mounting machine is touchlless. No bar whipping around your rim for leverage. His $$ are very fair. Maybe you can take the wheels to him when shane has them off the car for the coilover install.
Jeff

I concur. I've known Eric for 10 or so years. His mounting machine is touchlless. No bar whipping around your rim for leverage. His $$ are very fair. Maybe you can take the wheels to him when shane has them off the car for the coilover install.
Jeff

Shane is putting the Bilsteins on my S2000, today. I already have some on the NSX. I just need tires on the NSX.

Call Eric to have him pre order the tires. Tell him Jeff w/ the NSX and Maliburapper sent ya'.

His contact info if you need it is at supremepowerparts.com
He's a late bird by shop standards...doesn't usually get in til after 10 am. Good luck.

Jeff

Jeff

Eric's a character, too. He doesn't try to be funny but he's one of the most naturally funny people I've ever met. Even when he's serious, it's hard to hold a straight face when you hear him talk... But make no mistake, if you care about doing your wheels and tires right, this is the best shop I know of...

Back